Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: True Blood

vCash

True Blood

Any fans of this HBO show here? Season 2 starts tomorrow and I'm pretty darn excited...

vCash
    ME TOO!! Since watching the first episode, I've been hooked on the show and the books! Bring on Season 2!!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I'm waiting for season/book 3. Eric.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    I saw the preview at the movie theatre where the girl slurps the blood off the cut on her fingertip.

Spoiler

vCash
    Can't wait ! I bought the first 2 books....haven't read them yet though, but I can't wait for tomorrow (actually monday for me....because ill be downloading the episode online)

vCash
    Love this show! I'll have to DL the shows, though. I have't read the books yet, but I've always wanted to...

vCash
    Oh, the books are amazing! I prefer the first 4 books to the last 5, because after those ones it starts to lose focus on vampires and focus more on other forms of supernaturality (though vamps definitely play a huge role still).

Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    I saw the preview at the movie theatre where the girl slurps the blood off the cut on her fingertip.

Spoiler

I think that's the 2nd movie in the Twilight series.

IMO the best description of True Blood would be blood, sex, drugs and vampires, all with southern drawls (and lots of nudity).

vCash
    I don't watch this but hear a lot about it from my sister, who's co-owner of one of the big True Blood websites.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    I've read the Southern Vampire series since Harris began it. I haven't seen True Blood. I'm always unhappy when there are fundamental rewrites of characters on tv/movie versions of books. Should I buy the dvd of season 1 or will it make me go postal?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    I've read the Southern Vampire series since Harris began it. I haven't seen True Blood. I'm always unhappy when there are fundamental rewrites of characters on tv/movie versions of books. Should I buy the dvd of season 1 or will it make me go postal?
    I'm similar in the way that I cant stand when people change something for the sake of tv/film. The character changes did annoy me. I still like the show though, because Sookie and Bill are pretty much the same and the show follows their storyline properly for the most part.

vCash
    There are some differences. Like Sookie is basically a size 2 instead of a size 10, and the woman who plays Pam definitely doesn't look 19, but I think they did an awesome job with the casting (IMO the best casting was in Eric - fits the description to a T). They completely changed Tara, but IMO they kind of needed to do that to give Sookie a female companion, and Tara is now a major player.

The first season is basically the same as the book. I've heard the 2nd season will be loosly based on the book (ie, they go to Dallas) but other than that it has its own stories. Which I kind of like, because even for the avid fans of the book, you won't know what's coming.

vCash
    Thanks. I just can't decide. So they found an actor to play Eric who looks like a huge gorgeous Viking? Yum.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Thanks. I just can't decide. So they found an actor to play Eric who looks like a huge gorgeous Viking? Yum.
    Close enough. My only complaint is that the actor didn't seem to capture the humor of Eric based on the books, probably because the director hadn't bothered to read them either.

I didn't have a problem with the changes in Tara and even Layfette. They were minor characters in the books and bringing them to the forefront didn't change Sookie or Bill's storylines, except the whole Tara and Sam thing just didn't work for me. They should leave Sam alone.

I'm not certain about Jason's involvement in the Fellowship of the Sun this season. That's a significant departure of character and plot. I'll reserve judgement and wait to see what they do with the story.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    Well, he's Swedish and huge at any rate.

vCash
    Is there any point in watching the second season without having seen the first? Is there a quick way to catch up on who's who and what happened?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Sookie: barmaid with the ability to read people's thoughts (not something she enjoys)
    Sam: owns the bar where Sookie works (Merlottes): is a shape shifter whose favorite shape is a collie. He's in unrequited love with Sookie but copes well.
    Bill: 160 yo (thereabout) vampire originally from Bon Temp. Some of his direct descendents still live there, although they don't know he's their great, great, great grandpa. Bill is in requited love with Sookie. She saved his life, he saved hers, she's had some of his blood (part of the whole saving thing) which creates a bond with them.
    Eric: 1000 yo former Viking vamp: Important in vamp politics and owns a bar in Shreveport called Fang Banger. He's Pams maker. Book one was all about Bill/Sookie. Eric assumes a bigger role from here on out.
    Jason: Sookie's brother. A good old Southern boy womanizer. Sometimes dumb as a rock. Always in trouble.
    Tara: Sookie's friend. The HBO show really elevated her role. She's got all sorts of conflicts with her mother, had an affair with Sam and is the wise-cracking funny sidekick.
    Layfette: Also an elevated character. In the show he's the cook at Merlotte's and Tara's cousin. Flamboyant, gay and trades vampire blood (which is like crack). May or may not survive this season as he sort of theatened the wrong politician with exposure.
    Other assorted charcters include the sherriff who doesn't like Jason or Sookie and a deputy who is Bill's descendent (doesn't know).

Now you can watch season Two.

Season one introduced all the characters, saw Sookie's grandmother murdered (she raised Sookie and Jason) along with several other women. Jason was the prime suspect but the murderer turned out to be the boyfriend of another barmaid at Merlottes (Arlene).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Eric: 1000 yo former Viking vamp: Important in vamp politics and owns a bar in Shreveport called Fang Banger.
    His bar is called Fangtasia!!! A Fang Banger is, well, a person who likes to bang vampires!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shiningstar View Post
    His bar is called Fangtasia!!! A Fang Banger is, well, a person who likes to bang vampires!
    Oops. Sorry. I haven't read one of the books in a while. (I was disappointed in the latest installment).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Close enough. My only complaint is that the actor didn't seem to capture the humor of Eric based on the books, probably because the director hadn't bothered to read them either.
    Apparently the director started the series because he loved the books! They have said season 1 was kind of an 'intro' to Eric - he was such a minor character. But we're supposed to be seeing his other sides (apparently even his naked side) this season and he's in every episode from what I've read.

As for the actor playing Eric, may I present to you Alexander Skarsgard.
    As Eric Northman
    Again as Eric
    More Eric
    And and just a hunky photo

And as for being a tall hunk of Swedish meat: According to IMDB, Alexander is 6'4 and born in Stockholm. He was also supposedly thisclose to being cast as Thor in the upcoming movie, and was in Zoolander as one of the model friends who dies in the gasoline fight incident.

vCash
    I think the casting crew deserve an award for casting Alexander as Eric. He's pretty much exactly as I picture him in the books. Here's hoping we do see some naked Eric this season...and also that they stick to the storyline of the books somewhat for upcoming seasons! Spoiler if you haven't read the books (highlight): I want to see the Sookie-Eric action!!

Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast