Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast
    Tranquillo
    vCash
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Have you heard anything about whether Lance's 7 titles will go to the runner up? That's been the precedent but passing a couple of titles to Jan Ullrich, for example, is going to look really silly. So they seem to be a bit stuck.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    There are only a couple of runner ups who haven't been implicated at some point, right?
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Have you heard anything about whether Lance's 7 titles will go to the runner up? That's been the precedent but passing a couple of titles to Jan Ullrich, for example, is going to look really silly. So they seem to be a bit stuck.
    I think they said the titles for those years would be vacated, with no winners listed instead of Armstrong. Considering the tour was hardly doping-free in those years, I suppose it only makes sense.

vCash
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...ry-step_261814

A good article on this topic from Velonews.

And today's not-really-Lance-related-news, Cav fans can rejoice! He's officially signed with Omega Pharma Quickstep. All signs point to Omega Pharma building a dedicated sprinter's team for the upcoming season. Glad to see them get the deal done. Sky and Cav both knew that, once Wiggo and Froome began dominating the GC at the TDF this year, the split interests idea wasn't going to work. So I'm thrilled to see Cav go to a team that can prioritize him winning stages. It would be a shame to see him waste part of his best racing years on the wrong kind of team.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/...-pharma_261821

And, of course, despite the fact that Cav has been planning to leave for months and this deal has been in the works for months, the fact that Sky just announced their doping contract has allowed a bunch of internet trolls to insist that Cav is leaving because he won't sign it. Because apparently Cav is psychic and anticipated this contract months ago? Whatever.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Lance Armstrong was doping?!!? Wow, I never saw that one coming.

To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    They should either leave the winner empty for those years or give the Tour de France titles to Victor Conte, or whoever is the doping guru for elite cyclists.

vCash
    It is said in the article I posted further up that they will leave those years blank.

vCash
    Glad they took them away, glad no other winner is named. They all doped, he's just the biggest fish caught. Maybe they should just let everyone dope on the same thing and then see who the best is.

vCash
    Good decision to strip Lance the doper, and leave all those years blank. The most disgraceful years in the history of cyling, no winner is deserved. Hopefully all cyclists are scared by that and the ones who are still doping think twice about it. Lance was always the most overrated cyclist in history. Even had he been clean (lol) he was a 1 trick pony who focused all his efforts on one event, and who needed his ass carried by probably the strongest team in cycling history (as it turned out a team of fellow dopers) to victory. The past greats like Indurian, Merckx, Hinault, Anquetil, and others dominated the cycling circuit year round, doing and succeeding in all major tours, and ones less team oriented as well.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The most disgraceful years in the history of cyling ...
    I've never followed the sport but was curious to know more given all the recent news, and remember how often doping in cycling has come up in the past. Turns out that Lance and his team are far from the first to dope in the Tour de France - according to Wiki, it goes back to the race's origins 100 years ago - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_...Tour_de_France

And this list is - detailing doping across all cycling events in history - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ses_in_cycling

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I've never followed the sport but was curious to know more given all the recent news, and remember how often doping in cycling has come up in the past. Turns out that Lance and his team are far from the first to dope in the Tour de France - according to Wiki, it goes back to the race's origins 100 years ago - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doping_...Tour_de_France

And this list is - detailing doping across all cycling events in history - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ses_in_cycling
    Thanks for that. I have no doubt cycling has always been a sport involving a fair amount of juicing, but it built for years until hitting its all time peak in the late 90s/early 2000s. Now with Lance and his doping brigade brothers busted, and more agressive focus on catching dopers in cycling, hopefully there will be a bit less than there was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Good decision to strip Lance the doper, and leave all those years blank.
    According to the news reports in Germany, the decision will be made Friday by the UCI president. It's not final yet. But giving them to anyone would be ridiculous.
    They will also decide whether Armstrong will have to pay back his prize money. The tricky thing is that the statute of limitation is eight years, so it has run out on most of his titles and it might not be smart to push it. It might make a legal case Armstrong could win and he seems to be sue-happy.

According to German news, the UCI is also rumored to have told Armstrong in one of the earlier years, forgot which one, that he tested positive but that they'd not do anything about that. In return, Armstrong donated money. Another factor they need to consider when deciding about the prize money.

I don't want to defend him but given the fact how many athletes doped and dope and how cycling has such a long history of doping and how scientists keep saying that the Tour de France is impossible to succeed in unless one is doped, I not only think no one is clean but I also think that Armstrong seems to be a pawn in the scheme of a much bigger game, simply to save face.

vCash
    Why the big deal over Lance losing his Tour de France titles? It's not like he lost his left nut.

vCash
    I am finding it pretty amazing considering all the evidence that Armstrong is still denying that he ever doped. So many have now admitted they were part of systematic doping, including two officials in Australia who have now stood down from their high positions in the sport. Armstrong probably thinks that if he keeps denying it then he must be telling the truth.

One interesting article I read is the cancer played a very large role in why people didn't go after Armstrong even with all the doping accusations. How dare they pick on someone after what he has been through was the underlying message. Probably a contributing factor in why he got away with it for so long.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    One interesting article I read is the cancer played a very large role in why people didn't go after Armstrong even with all the doping accusations. How dare they pick on someone after what he has been through was the underlying message. Probably a contributing factor in why he got away with it for so long.
    I'm wondering if his experience with cancer is what might have got him into doping, and made him convince others to do the same. He survived cancer and in some ways conquered his own body - with the help of medicine. So maybe he thought he could keep going along those lines - make his body more powerful etc and achieve things no one thought possible. When someone is that driven, it's hard to understand how their mind works, and when others around him are too, I can see where they could get caught up in the idea of win at any cost.

As for not admitting it, either he really is innocent and this is all a giant conspiracy (but realistically, the chances of that are tinier and tinier as this continues), or that same mindset has him either stubbornly thinking what he did wasn't wrong and other people just don't get what it takes to be an athlete at that level/cancer survivor, or he's painted himself far enough into a corner that he doesn't see a way out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    One interesting article I read is the cancer played a very large role in why people didn't go after Armstrong even with all the doping accusations.
    That, and because America finally had an interesting champion cyclist, unlike Greg La-Bland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I'm wondering if his experience with cancer is what might have got him into doping, and made him convince others to do the same.
    Part of the evidence presented was he had being doing doping long before the cancer. If you check the testimony of Frankie and Betsy Andreu, they were in the room with him when the doctor asked him if he had taken performance enhancing drugs. According to their affidavits, Armstrong was quite casual in his response that he had taken a variety of drugs.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 10-24-2012 at 06:03 PM.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    L'Alpe d'Huez and Mount Ventoux? Yes PLEASE! Let's climb some mountains.

Much as I love the idea of Cav wearing yellow, I sort of hate starting the race with everyone tied for the same time. It's oddly irritating to look at the rankings and see everyone with the same time. (Plus Cav usually botches the first sprint stage of a Grand Tour so it'll probably be Greipel in Yellow and that doesn't amuse me at all ).

Only 65 km of Individual Time Trials and one team is good news for the less skilled time trialists out there. Of course, Contador has been able to win no matter what the course is like and I suspect he'll come in as the favorite as long as he isn't trying to win the Giro as well. It'll be interesting to see if Andy can be back to his 2010/2011 form by then. And what his team actually looks like. Because last year, I don't think he had a team built to attempt to win him a TDF in 2012 even if he'd been healthy.

It's a little far out to really speculate on the contenders but I'm excited! It'll be interesting to see if Hesjedal focuses on the tour and how much Garmin will ride in support of him versus Tyler, what goes on with Andy, who will be the lead riders for BMC and Sky, etc.

Froome has already publicly suggested that Wiggo take the team lead at the Giro and he take the team lead in the Tour. It begins already!

Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast