Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Also, both the UK and the US qualified a full 9 person team for the Worlds road race for the first time in a number of years. Interesting to see who gets selected (and who wants to ride). The course is pretty hilly this year, and doesn't seem like a good course for a pure sprinter.
    i.e. Maybe we shouldn't build the whole team around Cav?

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Paulinho reportedly confirms that he's signing a two year contract with Radio Shack, which is surprising since Paulinho was widely seen as closely aligned with Bert. Paulinho was picked as one of "Bert's domestiques" during the Tour and most people thought he and Noval would follow Bert.

Also, former Disco rider Jose "Ace" Azevedo confirms that he's joining Radio Shack as a DS.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Very funny interview with Jonathan Vaughters by Velocity's Dan Schmalz

discussing if Alberto would come to Garmin:

JV Well, it's one of those thing where, as much as we'd love Alberto, I really don't know if we want to mess the Khazak Defense Minister on that front. It just seems that would be an unadvisable thing to do.

schmalz A bunch of guys in argyle taking on the Eastern Bloc, I don't see how that could go wrong...

JV No, no, no, well... (laughs)
    With a lot of discussion regarding wine, twitter, Hincapie not gettting the yellow jersey and who messes up the toilet on the Garmin bus.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Update on Jens Voigt from the Sexy Back website

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Armstrong wins Leadville 100 and based on tweets, it seems Levi is set for Radio Shack next year. In a series of "trash talking tweets", Lance joked that Levi faked his broken wrist to avoid facing him at Leadville and suggested they bet a month worth of Levi's Radio Shack salary on next year's race.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Paul Sherwen tweets that he's got malaria - yikes.

And Congrats to Tyler Farrar for his win at the Vattenfall CyClassic this weekend. One day races have never been a strength for US riders, so this is a nice win for Tyler - who could definitely use it after so many second places at the TdF. Of course, Cav wasn't there, but it's still a big win for Tyler and Slipstream.

And in very sad news, an Irish National team rider who was set to ride in the Tour of Ireland this week, was killed in a car accident this weekend. What a tragic backdrop for the race.
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 08-17-2009 at 07:43 PM.

vCash
    yikes. well, he lives in Uganda, says he's had it for years. Malaria- once you have it, you have it. When I lived in Africa, my host mother would say something like: 'I have a headache today. It's just my malaria acting up.'

It's not usually fatal, but really, we need to get rid of this disease once and for all.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Start list for Tour of ireland - very sad to see Healion's name on the list.

Congrats to Tyler Farrar for a sprint win at the Eneco Tour, but there was a bad crash at the finale and it looks like Baden Cooke got the worst of it. Never good to see a bike crumpled.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Tyler wins his third stage so far in the Eneco Tour. He really seems to be on form lately which hopefully will be a good sign for the upcoming Vuelta (Cav isn't riding the Vuelta, is he?) Funky tattoo.

Meanwhile Cav continues his winning ways in Ireland

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Heeee's baaaack - Vino joins Astana (who saw that coming - besides everyone) and will ride the Vuelta.
    I just wish Bert were riding the Vuelta to add to the fun.

Columbia's Craig Lewis who just finished the Tour of Ireland was diagnosed with swine flu and will miss the US Championships. I hope the flu doesn't spread to a lot of the riders in the recent ToI.
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 08-25-2009 at 09:30 PM.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Heeee's baaaack - Vino joins Astana (who saw that coming - besides everyone) and will ride the Vuelta.
    I just wish Bert were riding the Vuelta to add to the fun.

Columbia's Craig Lewis who just finished the Tour of Ireland was diagnosed with swine flu and will miss the US Championships. I hope the flu doesn't spread to a lot of the riders in the recent ToI.
    looks like Astana is going to have a strong team afterall.. although I'll still put my money on RadioShack... don't like Armstrong political bent but do respect him as an athlete.. interesting to follow Armstrongs twitters.. should be an interesting team.. wander who else will now come down with the swine flu
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tranquillo
    vCash
    The Tour of Spain starts this weekend in the Netherlands of all places. It's like the Spring Classics have made a brief return for 3 stages! A lot of the big names who rode the TdF, including defending champion Contador, won't be racing, but there are plenty of riders to keep things interesting including the Schlecks, Basso, Cadel Evans , Olympic Gold Medalist Samuel Sanchez, the return of Vino, Valverde who apparently can ride in Spain even if he can't ride in Italy and the lesser known but talented Ezequiel Mosquera who has had good showings in this race previously. Sexy Back seems to be sending a very strong team, but many of them will be keeping one eye on Worlds which could impact how hard they race the Vuelta - but Riis always manages to have a motivated group of guys who really seem to want to help out a teammate. Cav won't be there, but Farrar, Ciolek, Boonen, Bennati and Greipel will be so there should be plenty of sprinting fun.

Steephill Dashboard is a great summary of stage profiles, race summary and start list.

And Cancellara and his impressive, er, assets should also be there for the fun!
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 08-27-2009 at 06:27 PM.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Fun setting for the Vuelta team presentation

And just look how happy the Astana team looks!

and nothing says Vuelta a Espana training more than Northern European cobblestones

Cance and O'Grady train for the prologue on the Assen Motorsports circuit

Cadel in the rain

Bruyneel tweeted that after leaving the Tour of Ireland early he checked into the hospital for two days with a fever, but there are rumors that he also had H1N1 virus which would make two at the TofI (including Craig Lewis). Hope none of those riders picked it up at the Tour and that the Vuelta is illness free.

Don't forget the US road championships this weekend in Greenville. Garmin is bringing a lot of people and clearly want to make amends for their second place finish last year and get the US champs jersey on their team for next year but it's always fun when one of the lesser known riders can get it too.
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 08-29-2009 at 01:51 AM.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Poor Baredo, not a great start to a Grand Tour

But Cance wins the prologue once again (by 9 seconds over Boonen) even though he claims he's just coming into form for Worlds and isn't really in top form now.

And Zabriskie keeps the US Time Trial Championship with his win in Greenville.

Some photos on flickr from the Vuelta prologue
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 08-29-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Podium girls at Vuelta make Yuna Kim look like a teenage boy
    vCash
    Hey Garden Kitty and fellow cycling fans,

Did you watch Universal sports coverage? What is it like? Who are the commentators? Sherwin and Liggit? And please I don't want any more Bobke.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I watched their online coverage yesterday, and I think the announcer was Matt Keenan. I saw part of today's tv coverage, and their announcers were two guys I didn't recognize, I think Steve Schlanger and Todd Gogulski. They seem to be a bit more low key than the VS TdF announcers, but I haven't heard them enough to have a strong impression. It's hard to do the live coverage, because the race feed keeps jumping around, and a lot of time it's hard to tell who is in the break, but Keenan seems to do a decent job.

I have enjoyed their online coverage. I had a few times where it got caught up buffering, but mostly it worked fine. Universal Sports is still relatively new for cycling coverage, so I wouldn't be surprised if they got more names or retired riders as they continue coverage.

And to George Hincapie for his win at the US Pro Road Race Championships. He may not have gotten his day in the yellow jersey in the TdF, but he'll have a year in the stars and stripes jersey. George doesn't tweet much, but he did post this after the race:

Yes yes yes!!!! Just got home, popped open a bottle of Dom.. Thank you Greenville for a great day!!!
    George celebrates his win

I guess we'll learn in just a few days where a lot of cyclists will end up tomorrow. The rumor is still that Hincapie will leave Columbia for BMC, but we'll see. Supposedly part of the deal is that the team will be outfitted by Hincapie Sportswear, but Sept 1 will come soon enough and we should hear lots of news then.
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 08-31-2009 at 01:34 AM.

vCash
    awe- I love Bobke. but no, neither he, Phil nor Paul commentate on Universal Sports. I think this will be the first time I'll be able to watch the Vuelta daily (though it will compete with US Open coverage, so I'm kind of torn); still, even if they just streamed cycling with no commentators, that would still make them my new favorite station. I'm hoping they'll have some figure skating coverage of the grand prix events this fall.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrin View Post
    I'm hoping they'll have some figure skating coverage of the grand prix events this fall.
    The schedule page on their website looks promising, but I haven't read any reports that they signed a contract with the ISU for rights to the non-US events. But since NBC extended their contract with USFSA, I assume we'll at least see their expanded, all event coverage of Skate America and Nationals on Universal Sports

ETA: Some more transfer (or not) rumors. Ballan to BMC and Contador to stay at Astana. Contador and Vino should be fun, but I suspect the ASO won't be too eager to have Vino back at the Tour just yet. And Chechu Rubiera reportedly will stick around for another year and ride for Radio Shack.

Alex Howes tweeted (and then removed) a post congratulating Hincapie on his win, but complaining that a lot of the fans in Greenville (Hincapie's adopted home town) were making rude comments to the Garmin riders. I guess a lot of locals still mad at the role they perceive Garmin played in keeping George from the yellow jersey and thought it a good idea to take it out on other riders who weren't even in France.

ETA: Craig Lewis keeps tweeting about how George Hincapie is taking him and Craig's wife to NY for the day. Private plane, nice hotel and US Open for the night. George is an old Queens, NY kid, so I'm sure he's visiting family as well. Craig just tweeted calling it "one of the best days ever" - but I think that was after the 3 bottles of wine they had at lunch
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 08-31-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Podium girls at Vuelta make Yuna Kim look like a teenage boy
    vCash
    Alex Howes tweeted (and then removed) a post congratulating Hincapie on his win, but complaining that a lot of the fans in Greenville (Hincapie's adopted home town) were making rude comments to the Garmin riders. I guess a lot of locals still mad at the role they perceive Garmin played in keeping George from the yellow jersey and thought it a good idea to take it out on other riders who weren't even in France.
    That was a bit much on fans' part. Garmin was trying to set their sprinters and lead-out guys up for stage points. Why would Garmin have to care about other team rider's getting the yellow or not. It was not as though George would be able to defend the yellow, considering the next day was the mountain stage. The tour is about a trade team vs. trade team.

I want to congratulate DZ on time trial win. Go Captain USA. And voila he is a Garmin guy.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    It's Sept 1 and teams and riders can officially announce transfers. Lots of reports and some may ultimately prove premature, but here are some of the reports I've seen:

To BMC: Alessandro Ballan (Lampre), George Hincapie (Columbia), Marcus Burghardt (Columbia), Karsten Kroon (Saxo Bank), Steve Morabito (Astana), Michael Schär (Astana), and Simon Zahner

To Garmin: Robbie Hunter, Frederik Kessiakoff, Zirbel, Kredel, Peter Stetina, Johan Vansummeren

To Lampre: Alessandro Petacchi

To Radio Shack: Leipheimer

To Katusha:Kim Kirchen

To Columbia: Lars Bak

To Team Sky: reported Edward Boasson Hagen, Simon Gerrans and Kurt Arveson (although Sky hasn't announced anything officially yet)

Windmills and rain? Of course it's the Vuelta a Espana!

ETA: Nasty crash a the end of a rainy Vuelta stage today. Horner appeared badly injured but according to the Astana site, he finished the stage (they originally said he was DNF, and Chris and Vino are at the hospital being evaluated. Lots of other people went down, so I expect we'll be hearing more injury reports (although I think tomorrow is a travel day, which might help). Cadel's wife was immediately on twitter asking if anyone had seen Cadel after the crash. Looks like Cance and the Schlecks went down but were able to finish, so hopefully they're not too badly hurt, although they looked pretty grim crossing the line.

Also, somewhat risque camera angle on the podium presentation that went up the skirts of the podium girls At least one was wearing underwear that matched the jersey she was presenting

More ETA: Lovkvist confirms he's leaving Columbia but didn't say where he's going. I'm guessing Sky because most other teams are already announcing their signings.

More ETA again: Also To Sky: Chris Sutton(Garmin), Matt Hayman(Rabo) , Possoini (Columbia) and Greg Henderson (Columbia), Swift (Katusha).
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 09-02-2009 at 03:40 AM.

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast