Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Tranquillo
    vCash
    More Astana fun. Vino is cleared to ride from July 24th and has said that even though he doesn't have a contract with Bruyneel he can't imagine riding for any team other than Astana and he even has his race program all scheduled:

"This is the team we have created in 2006 with the president of the Kazakh cycling federation, this is our baby
    Just what the team needs, more people fighting to be team leader - only this one has the sponsor's backing. I really don't see Contador riding on the same team as Vino - at least Armstrong says he'd ride support if Bert is better, but I can't see Vino ever being willing to do that.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kedrin View Post
    ach- I'd volunteer, but I'm writing this from Cambodia. I'd love to meet up sometime. perhaps if I ever decide to try my hand at track cycling.

Have funin cambodia! There's a ladies session every month so no worries. That's a great place to start

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Apparently the Swiss Federation is starting proceedings against Ullrich. If they prove their case, it would be a lifetime ban given his prior suspension which would mean no coaching or working as a team official.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    NY Velocity has an audio interview with Dr Eric Heiden - it's a little hard to hear but I love Heiden so I'll make the effort.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Per Gazzetta, Danilo Diluca tested positive at two stages of the Giro. On the plus side, at least he's not riding the TdF.

Darn, I guess he didn't learn anything from the Oil for Drugs incident, but he did make the Giro more exciting. I'm particularly glad now that he didn't beat Menchov.

Tranquillo
    vCash

vCash
    A good overview of possible teams Alberto Contador might join for next season.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...rto-contador-2

We can rule out RadioShack; Astana's iffy (since Vino is iffy). During the tour, Bob Roll said that he would literally eat his hat if it didn't end up being Caisse d'Epargne.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Per Velonews, Vino to return to racing this week, in an Astana kit.

ETA: Updated: Astana says Vino won't be in an Astana kit this week

The TdF is over, but the team dysfunction continues.
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 08-03-2009 at 05:13 PM.

Tranquillo
    vCash

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Vino returned to racing in an oddly disturbing "Vino kit" with his pic on it He reportedly told L'Equippe that he'll be back with Astana for the Tour de l'Ain

another view

vCash
    I wish Vino would stay away, but that weird kit certainly made me laugh.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Dan Schmalz interview with Columbia's Michael Barry

Discussing Salvatore "Toto" Commessa:

As I attacked he yelled something in Italian--I didn't look back but pushed on to the finish. That is my first memory of him. My second, is of him hitting on my wife at the USPRO Champs in Philly a few years later. My third is of him being 'pantsed' by my Saturn teammate Brian Walton later that week in Philly

Podium girls at Vuelta make Yuna Kim look like a teenage boy
    vCash
    Actually, I don't mind having Vino back in peloton. He makes the tour exciting. I remember 2005 TdF Vino attacked numerous times in various cat 1/2 climbs, shredded the peloton in pieces, and then couldn't keep up with the paces of subsequent attacks. It was a quite sight to see him disappear to the rear end of peloton after launching so many attacks. It was even more hilarious to see Der Kaiser and Klodi shooting Vino down. Ah good ole days when T-mobile team was around.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 08-08-2009 at 11:55 PM.

vCash
    RadioShack would like you to call it 'The Shack'

NEW YORK — RadioShack (RSH) is the latest older, "legacy" brand to try to put a cool, hip spin on itself.

The 88-year-old electronics outfit will re-introduce itself Thursday as just "The Shack" — at least in its ads.
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/advert...dioshack_N.htm

It's also signed a marketing agreement with bicyclist Lance Armstrong, who next year will compete in the Tour de France and other races under Team RadioShack.
    "The Shack" . I would have changed it to "RS", or "doing better than Circuit City"

vCash
    When I read that it somehow reminded me about that old song about going to the love shack, baby.

For some reason it always makes me giggle when they're referred to as 'bicyclists'.

Also kind of amusing is this pic of Fränk Schleck from brother Andy's mostly cryptic twitter. Have a sandwich, boys.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Belsornia View Post
    Also kind of amusing is this pic of Fränk Schleck from brother Andy's mostly cryptic twitter. Have a sandwich, boys.
    And Frank is the "heavier" of the two brothers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    And Frank is the "heavier" of the two brothers.
    In this post-tour interview Andy claims he has 4kg on Fränk, though I find that hard to believe.

(If you have a few minutes to spare, its a pretty cute interview: they debate whether it's 'polka' or 'poker' dots for KoM and Fränk reveals his obliviousness to his girlfriend's hints for a ring, but claims he's going to name his future son Andy. It switches to English once they start talking.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Belsornia View Post
    There really is nothing I don't love about Andy's twitter. It's like a daily puzzle.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Rumors on Cyclingnews about Levi and Hincapie joining BMC. I'd heard rumors about George going, but this is the first I heard Levi mentioned - I assumed he'd be going with Lance. I really can't imagine Levi giving up the chance to ride in the Grand Tours next year, he won't have many more chances, but who knows.

IIRC, BMC is largely sponsored by the poor guy who owned Phonak. That experience turned out to be less than positive for him (maybe positive is the wrong choice of word ), but he stayed involved with the sport although originally in a lower, "less high profile" way which was supposed to help with the doping issues. The DS is the former Phonak DS as well. Interesting to see what, if anything, comes of this.

ETA: Boasson Hagen leaving Columbia, although he hasn't identified a new team yet.

Also, both the UK and the US qualified a full 9 person team for the Worlds road race for the first time in a number of years. Interesting to see who gets selected (and who wants to ride). The course is pretty hilly this year, and doesn't seem like a good course for a pure sprinter.

Edited again: Vino (riding for Kazakh National team) wins the TT at the Tour de l'Ain, but Chris Horner takes the overall for now. The "queen stage" a massive climbing stage is tomorrow.
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 08-11-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast