Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Thanks for the post Frau Muller.

Perez posted the teaser on Monday.

"Pop Star on Ice" appears to cover Johnny's career up through his coaching change and the 2007/08 season, ending with his bronze medal at worlds. The documentary crew began following him in 2006/07 season, but there appears to be some archival footage used too.

Scheduled showings of "Pop Star on Ice"
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 05-20-2009 at 04:47 PM.

vCash
    Awesome job, HisWeirness!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pikku Myy View Post
    I think it was but not in Johnny's ankle. I'm under the impression that one of his fans has tattoed his autograph in her ankle.
    EYS, I think I've read about it somewhere.

vCash
    Can't wait to see this! Johnny has such a hilarious take on figure skating and the world. I love reading his monthly favourites on his website.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    Ahhhhhh! The rap song is horrible!
    Go for Gold, y'all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pikku Myy View Post
    I think it was but not in Johnny's ankle. I'm under the impression that one of his fans has tattoed his autograph in her ankle.

That's what I was afraid of!

vCash
    I believe one of Johnny's fans asked him to autograph her ankle. He obliged and she then had the signature tatooed.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    More info from Ice Network: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...e_pressrelease

The film will screen on the festival circuit throughout the summer, before airing on the Sundance Channel in the fall to coincide with the ISU Grand Prix Series.
    So, the "Pop Star on Ice" film will be on the Sundance channel in the fall? I need to find someone to DVR->DVD this for me! Anyway, I hope the DVD goes on sale soon after that for all of us who do not have the channel.

Weir recently joined the Board of Governors of nPlay, a non-profit organization that is uniting athletes from across the sports world devoted to fighting childhood obesity and a healthy lifestyle for young Americans.

Weir also recently announced a self-designed fashion line called "Be Unique" that will be launched in Korea in the upcoming weeks.
    This is the first I heard of the fashion line.
    On a silly note , kids probably shouldn't follow Johnny's "diet" as an example of good eating habits....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    More info from Ice Network: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...e_pressrelease

So, the "Pop Star on Ice" film will be on the Sundance channel in the fall? I need to find someone to DVR->DVD this for me! Anyway, I hope the DVD goes on sale soon after that for all of us who do not have the channel.

This is the first I heard of the fashion line.
    On a silly note , kids probably shouldn't follow Johnny's "diet" as an example of good eating habits....
    Wow, loads of news! I second the taping of Sundance. Pleeeease.

ITA about his diet.

vCash
    Weir recently joined the Board of Governors of nPlay, a non-profit organization that is uniting athletes from across the sports world devoted to fighting childhood obesity and a healthy lifestyle for young Americans.
    Look, I'm all for battling obesity, but not with anorexia...

This makes as much sense as Lysacek selling Coke and Chan selling Macdonalds while promoting a healthy lifestyle. At least the last two are getting paid.

vCash
    Weir also recently announced a self-designed fashion line called "Be Unique" that will be launched in Korea in the upcoming weeks.
    And items from the "Be Unique" line will be produced en masse and worn by millions of teenagers worldwide??

vCash
    Any chance there will be a film festival closer down south where "Pop Star on Ice" will air, namely in NC? Does Raleigh ever have any film fests?

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FSfan107 View Post
    Any chance there will be a film festival closer down south where "Pop Star on Ice" will air, namely in NC? Does Raleigh ever have any film fests?
    Durham has the major all-documentary Full Frame Film Festival, but that was held last month, so the filmmakers and us NC fans just missed out. Too bad.

Maybe we should just commandeer a bar or a living room in Raleigh and have a showing!

vCash
    OMG, the photo!

Love the quotes, btw.

“We’re like a married couple without the sex,” Weir says.
    PML!

At one point in the film the two best friends talk about Mark Lund’s mean-spirited comments about Weir from 2007 (more info here) and the issue of sexuality arises. And in the conversation lies one of the beautiful qualities of Johnny Weir. After we’ve seen him in a bubble bath with his best friend, seen him voguing down a practice runway (i.e., a hotel hallway), seen him sitting around the house in a tiara and talking about make-up, and as he’s sitting on a couch next to a Hello Kitty doll, he just won’t talk about whom he’s dating (and no, it’s not Childers), as though to say, “If you idiots still don’t get it yet, you don’t deserve to know.”
    Hm.

vCash
    Thanks for this! This is what Figure Skating should be: Characters that are multifaceted and facinating as Weir certainly is. What is great with him is that he does what he feels is right for him, and ALSO makes an effort not to take himself seriously now. That's the true combination that will draw an audience and lasting interest.

Too many skaters in the world today, in America and particularly Canada are fake and generic, do only as they are told, and that makes Weir a fabulous entity. Give me the real thing over an act anyday. Go Weir!

I wish there was a way too bootleg this gem of a documentay in Canada!

vCash
    I may have to get on a plane to see this.....why is middle America forgotten?? We like movies, (and Johnny), too.

vCash
    Loved the review. I hope its as good as they made it out to be.

vCash
    I have to see this!

Sigh. I hope his duties for the board of this nonprofit and whatever he's doing to design and promote the fashion line aren't distracting from his skating . . .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
    I have to see this!

Sigh. I hope his duties for the board of this nonprofit and whatever he's doing to design and promote the fashion line aren't distracting from his skating . . .
    Um...I wouldn't think it is. He skated in Festa and another fashion show before and after worlds. Considering the awesome profile he is managing AND all of the achievments he has made, what other skater could have managed that in todays skating standards?! Others may have won more titles, however carry this fake mediocre "family friendly" persona, that any real fans are too bored with to watch.

Olympic medal/Gold or none, Johnny Weir has already won. While almost every other skater out there is so wrapped up in putting points together to get that one shot at medal glory (something Johnny Weir also wants of course), Weir is also guaranteeing himself a long term stay in the skating world and public eye by being himself while being humorus, drawing an audience and making himself watchable time and time again.

I wish other skaters, Canadian and American, would use such opportunities. And the whole "it's their personal life and I don't want to know about it" crap, well, the fact that skaters have become these fake, generic, one dimensional caricatures on the ice that do and say only what and when their told with conservative taboos from the 1950's (ladies wear dresses, act like a lady and be pretty, etc etc), has sunk figure skating so far into mediocrity that no wonder the audiences are low. Thank God for Johnny Weir!

He will kick some serious ass next season. Book it. If not, he doesn't need to, Weir is immortal in the skating world now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oakl0008 View Post
    He will kick some serious ass next season.
    I hope so! It would make me
    Last edited by Rottie; 05-24-2009 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Cleaned up tags.

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast