Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Johnny Weir: reality series and documentary premiering 5/24/09(merged)

It appears that Sundance has officially picked up Johnny Weir's new series, "Be Good Johnny Weir". This was reported by Variety, The Business Insider, Hollywood Reporter and Broadcasting and Cable.

http://www.businessinsider.com/daili...8-movie-2009-4

vCash
    Anyone else think this is an ERROR on his part? Sorry, but reality TV is not what he needs! Catering to the inner diva the year before the Olympics after this year's results???? SCARY!

vCash
    This has already been discussed in the NJ show thread.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    Anyone else think this is an ERROR on his part? Sorry, but reality TV is not what he needs! Catering to the inner diva the year before the Olympics after this year's results???? SCARY!
    Hopefully he will focus on his skating and just let the camers follow him around. JOHNNY FOR GOLD IN VANCOUVER!!!

vCash
    From what that had been released so far on DVD, it's not like the whole house is full of cameras and every step of him is observed a la Big Brother. There had been mainly interviews reflecting on his performances at various competitions, a couple of training shots at his rink, the Fallen Angels performance from Marshalls, trying on his new costumes, Johnny getting his hair done at a hairstylist studio, or him doing pilates with his trainer & a friend.

And EYS! Johnny for the win!
    Last edited by igniculus; 04-20-2009 at 05:59 PM.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    so is this something that had already been taped and canned and just running before the Olympics and that is what they are showing? Or will this be something that starts filming over the summer and continue thru the Olympics?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BaileyCatts View Post
    so is this something that had already been taped and canned and just running before the Olympics and that is what they are showing? Or will this be something that starts filming over the summer and continue thru the Olympics?
    Johnny will talk about the whole thing in an upcoming interview on Lifeskate, I'd recommend you to check it once it airs. I think it's the same team and crew that has been following him since the 2006/2007 season.

vCash
    Hopefully, from this show, Johnny is making good money for training.

Agree, Johnny for the Gold!

vCash
    Catering to the inner diva the year before the Olympics after this year's results???? SCARY!
    Since when has Johnny had an inner diva?

The wiener takes it all
    vCash

Pop Star on Ice!!!!!!!

Pop Star on Ice will have its "World Premiere" May 24, 2009 (6:45 pm) at the Seattle International Film Festival.
    POP STAR ON ICE is an unprecedented behind-the-scenes portrait of outspoken Olympian and three-time US Figure Skating National Champion Johnny Weir. When Johnny fails to win a medal at the 2006 Winter Olympics, the media turns on him and he feels the backlash. Love him or hate him, Johnny is one of the most talented skaters of all time, but talent alone does not make a champion.

Johnny’s complicated relationship with his longtime coach Priscilla Hill and his struggle to reach the top of the sport takes us from small town Delaware to competitions, shopping sprees, fashion shows and personal appearances around the world.
    More info on Facebook
    Movie listing on IMDB
    Film Festival site: get tickets
    Pop Star on Ice SIFF page

hmm...I have not seen the Japanese Johnny be Good DVD igniculus was talking about above so I do not know if this is the same documentary material...but from the descriptions it looks like it covers 2006-07 and probably the coaching change since Galina/Victor are listed in the cast...exciting stuff ...too bad I don't live in Seattle!

FYI, this is NOT the "Be Good Johnny Weir" Sundance channel series set to be filmed this season, but earlier footage from the same production crew put together into a documentary film.
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 05-12-2009 at 10:25 PM.

moving right along
    vCash
    Love the movie blurb at the SIFF site:

Johnny Weir is the most compelling athlete you've never heard of. In figure skating circles, Weir is as known for his artistry and skill as he is for his controversial and sometimes baffling behavior. Notorious for his joyfully inappropriate conduct at press conferences and his uncompromising personality and sense of style, Weir’s antics both on and off the ice are hard to ignore. Pop Star On Ice follows a season of Weir's uneven trajectory toward top skating honors as he ricochets between flawless performances and absolute failures. The filmmakers effortlessly provide an immediate and comic portrait of the self-assured, chronically inconsistent skater as he struggles to overcome the hangups that keep him from finishing in first place. From his rocky relationship with the trainer who knows him too well, to his inability to fully commit to his talent, this tightly constructed documentary showcases Weir as a fierce competitor who could one day take the gold.
    I've got my tickets!

vCash
    I hope that this is as interesting as the blurb makes it sound!

vCash
    On the one hand, I'm really happy for Johnny that he achieved another goal that he set for himself. On the other hand, I'm worried that this will draw too many reactions along the lines of "What a Diva" and "He's all fluff" and all that stuff we know so well. On the third hand, now is the time to use the momentum of the Olympics and get some serious exposure. On the fourth hand, the judges/ISU might not see it as positive exposure. On the fifth hand, this is Johnny, for better and for worse, and those who love him will keep loving him, and those who don't can bite him (not literally).

In conclusion: Johnny is doing what he wants to do, which is exactly what we've learned to expect (and love) from him. Also, I have too many hands.

vCash
    How "complicated" and "rocky" was his relationship with Priscilla? I haven't followed Johnny news all that closely, but from what little I've read, I always thought they got along pretty well.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    This is the first time I've read about the reality series - I think Johnny would be better served to focus on his skating rather than an ongoing series.

OTOH, I'm totally going to the SIFF premiere of his documentary!!!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    How "complicated" and "rocky" was his relationship with Priscilla? I haven't followed Johnny news all that closely, but from what little I've read, I always thought they got along pretty well.
    Yea, what's up with that? I always thought they had one of the better coach/student relationships?

I thought he moved because Priscilla wasn't being "tough enough" on him? Or do I have it all wrong?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I hope that this is as interesting as the blurb makes it sound!
    Ummm...it's about JOHNNY WEIR!

Quote Originally Posted by Joya View Post
    On the one hand.....On the other hand.....On the third hand.....On the fourth hand.....On the fifth hand.....
    The movie hasn't opened yet. I hope you don't spend this much time thinking about other things which have not yet occurred!!!

vCash
    I think that Weir and Hill were very close . . . and that was the problem. Over years together, they'd come to be more like friends than coach and student. Johnny said that as much as he owed to Priscilla, he needed to be with a coach whom he viewed as a coach -- someone whom he'd obey and work his ass off for. I think it was a very hard decision for both of them but one they both accepted as necessary for Johnny's skating.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter G View Post
    Ummm...it's about JOHNNY WEIR!
    You made me spit out my food!

So true, anything about Johnny is and .

So genevieve AND LadyNit are going?!! JEALOUS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
    entire post
    ITA. That was my impression as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyNit View Post
    I've got my tickets!
    Be sure to tell us afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by Joya View Post
    Also, I have too many hands.
    Indeed.

Can't wait the news about this upcoming film.

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast