Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 1023
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    72
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I am sorry to hear that Miami will not be vying for that franchise because I think Miami is the best place for one. I know ottawa and cannot imagine there is room for another pro sports team, let alone a footie team since futbol is not very popular here.
    Montreal did not hurt itself with 55K attending the CONCACAF Champions League playoff game there last week. Vancouver is still in the running. And St Louis. A few others, too. To be honest, I really do not care who they take now. All efforts here are to try to save Miami, FC from going under.

    NJL

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,513
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Im surprised that St. Louis still doesn't have an MLS team, as it's been big on the sport going back many many years.

    I think MLS needs to be real careful right now. With the economy in the tank, they should be real cautious about doing any expansion. The breakdown in Miami is indicative of this. They really don't want to lose franchises, especially new ones. So far they've done OK, as Toronto seems to be thriving, and Seattle seems to be on sound footing. But they need to be conservative about handing out new franchises unless they are certain about the finances and the prospects for a stadium.

    They league doesn't really need to add franchises if you ask me.

  3. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    72
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Im surprised that St. Louis still doesn't have an MLS team, as it's been big on the sport going back many many years.

    I think MLS needs to be real careful right now. With the economy in the tank, they should be real cautious about doing any expansion. The breakdown in Miami is indicative of this. They really don't want to lose franchises, especially new ones. So far they've done OK, as Toronto seems to be thriving, and Seattle seems to be on sound footing. But they need to be conservative about handing out new franchises unless they are certain about the finances and the prospects for a stadium.

    The league doesn't really need to add franchises if you ask me.
    St Louis has it's own $$$ problems, IIUC. As do others. In fact, none of them are really good for one reason or another. Miami's was the strongest overall until Barca got cold feet over the $40,000,000 Franchise Fee and $20,000,000 start-up expense.

    I think your last sentence says it all. That may be the wisest thing to do for a few years until the economic mess straightens itself out. Seattle in this year, Philly in 2010, then no more teams until 2013 or 2014. Longer if needed.

    MLS has lasted longer here than any other top league that I can recall and is improving over time. Taking the long view & not risking the league's existence is the primary concern, IMO. Make haste slowly to at least retain what we have.

    NJL (of course transferring a team to another city may have to be done, I hear that Chivas USA is not that strong, and we're not so proud that we'd not welcome them to FIU Stadium....I'm sure that Mr Garber understands that.......In the meantime, we'll do our best to keep the Miami FC Blues alive in USL-1...)
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 03-06-2009 at 02:28 AM. Reason: korectng meye speelign

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,513
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    NJL, Chivas USA will always be the step-child to the Galaxy in LA. they draw about 40% less than the Galaxy, and frankly have a LOT of problems with their supporters groups keeping fans away.

    Much like the Clippers and the Lakers, until Chivas moves out of the HDC and into their own building (Maybe in the OC?) they will never make any money nor grow the franchise. But I doubt that they would move out of California, as the whole point of the franchise is to draw on the Mexican fanbase. Which is another reason why they don't draw well.


    But I agree that overall, MLS is healthy. I just hope Garber doesn't get greedy.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    72
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    NJL, Chivas USA will always be the step-child to the Galaxy in LA. they draw about 40% less than the Galaxy, and frankly have a LOT of problems with their supporters groups keeping fans away.

    Much like the Clippers and the Lakers, until Chivas moves out of the HDC and into their own building (Maybe in the OC?) they will never make any money nor grow the franchise. But I doubt that they would move out of California, as the whole point of the franchise is to draw on the Mexican fanbase. Which is another reason why they don't draw well.


    But I agree that overall, MLS is healthy. I just hope Garber doesn't get greedy.
    Dumping Claure & Barca eliminates much of the fear about greed. Seemingly, it ran one way, towards Spain. And, the marvelous Mr Clare was invited to come and participate in USL-1 with Miami FC to keep the game alive in Miami. He declined. Wants to step away from the sport for a time. (I honestly don't blame him after the roller coaster ride he's had for the past 6 months, but he does not add any luster to his rep by doing it.) Of course, FIU's new stadium is not available to Miami FC. Guess they're not good enough, because when they asked they were turned down. FIU seemingly has no interest at all.

    Welcome to Miami, where everyone is from somewhere else & that's where their heart is. Sounds like the perfect place for a revitalized Chivas...

    NJL (BTW, expect the Marlin's Stadium to fail to get enough votes from the Miami City Commission to get the contracts signed...the remarkable demands being made by several commissioners are now beyond incredible.. ..)

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,513
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    St. Louis' MLS bid just got some help from Anheiser-Busch:

    http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

    Not sure how much help this will be, but I'm certain Garber would like a larger relationship with the Budweiser people.

    One also wonders if Garber is going to look at how well cities like St Louis support their new WPS team before he gives them a bid.

    Off Topic, the new women's league is charging way too much for tickets if you ask me...

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    72
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Thumbs up

    There is life for the Beautiful Game in Miami. Traffic Sports has decided to let USL1 side Miami FC play again this year. No players signed yet, no stadium contracted and the season starts in mid April. There will be some busy, busy people at Miami FC over the next few weeks, but I doubt they'll complain or be unhappy about it. After all, it is better to be busy than unemployed...

    NJL (gonna have to buy me some tickets plus some Miami FC stuff to wear, too...GO BLUES! ... ...)
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 03-19-2009 at 03:18 AM. Reason: rephrasing for clarity

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,513
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Looks like the winner is Vancouver!!

    http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp

    The Whitecaps have always been a strong franchise, now they get to take it to the next level. And MLS sets up a local Derby with the Sounders.

    BC Place getting the major renovation for the Olympcis helped a lot with this bid. Evidently there is a configuration of the stadium for soccer with a 20K seating arrangement.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    72
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Looks like the winner is Vancouver!!

    http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news...._mls&fext=.jsp

    The Whitecaps have always been a strong franchise, now they get to take it to the next level. And MLS sets up a local Derby with the Sounders.

    BC Place getting the major renovation for the Olympcis helped a lot with this bid. Evidently there is a configuration of the stadium for soccer with a 20K seating arrangement.
    Congrats to Vancouver. One more to go for 2011. Wonder who it will be.

    NJL

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,660
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Looks like there is a good possibility that 3 out of the 4 teams left in the CL this year will once again be from the EPL. That cannot be good for the competition but then again the best teams are in England so until the rest of Europe catches up, the EPL will continue to dominate the Champions League.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    72
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    In CONCACAF WC 2010 qualifying:

    Mexico 2 - 0 Costa Rica
    TnT 1 - 1 Honduras
    El Salvador 2 - 2 USA

    Standings as of now:

    USA.............4 points
    Mexico..........3
    Costa Rica.....3
    El Salvador....2
    TnT..............2
    Honduras.......1

    Wednesday's Games:

    USA v TnT
    Costa Rica v El Salvador
    Honduras v Mexico

    NJL
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 03-30-2009 at 05:26 PM.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,513
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Ugly game by the USA side. Lots of bad performances, but the team was saved by a couple of good subs (Altidore, Torrez) and the gutsy Heyduk. This team badly missed Howard and Bocanegra, plus it needs a gut check by Beasley, Klesjian, Ching and Dempsey.

    Good players play well every time out, not just when they feel like it.


    If they don't thrash TnT this week I'll be VERY disapointed.

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    72
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Ugly game by the USA side. Lots of bad performances, but the team was saved by a couple of good subs (Altidore, Torrez) and the gutsy Heyduk. This team badly missed Howard and Bocanegra, plus it needs a gut check by Beasley, Klesjian, Ching and Dempsey.

    Good players play well every time out, not just when they feel like it.


    If they don't thrash TnT this week I'll be VERY disapointed.
    Boca played, he was the USA Captain, but Gooch was out to injury. Guzan ain't Howard. Tim will be a welcome sight in net in Nashville.

    And, El Sal took it to 'em for 75+ minutes. They then packed it in as won & depended on their acting ability, I've never seen so many "injurys" to one team in so short a time in my life, to carry the day (thus the 7 min added time). To the USA's credit they controlled the game to the end & scored 2 goals in less than 15 minutes to salvage a point from what could have been a disastrous defeat. The USA is supposed to be a better team than that, but none of these Central American road games are easy. Still, this had better be a wake up call to Bob Bradley & the squad to extract their head's from their asses and play.

    I wonder who BB will play in Nashville on the 1st. As KH pointed out, some USA players really did not make the trip to EL Sal, even though they started. These guys are pros. That's unacceptable. We'll see.

    NJL (FYI, Jonathan Boorstein will join the USA squad in Nashville....does this mean that Heath Pierce sits?)
    Last edited by NeilJLeonard; 03-30-2009 at 05:29 PM.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,660
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    About 19 people were killed in a stampede just before a WC qualifier between Malawi and Ivory Coast. Apparently a crowd of people who did not have tickets tried to force their way into the stadium causing a gate to fall, and the following panic caused the stampede.

    http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-03-30-voa51.cfm

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,513
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    You are right Neil, Gooch was out, not Boca, but the point was the same, he was missed.

    I think if Bornstein was to get a shot, this is a prime spot for him. Plus it's time for Bob Bradley to start Altidore and Torrez to see what they can do. Ching and DMB have been around and are known quantities, such as they are. A home game against TnT is a perfect spot to let these two show their stuff. Plus it might be time for Bradley to get over whatever it is he has against Freddie Adu and give him a shot too.

    This team is transitioning, so we need to start playing the up and comers to see who's for real and who isn't. We found out with Eddie Johnson, so now lets find out with Altidore.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The River of Grass
    Age
    72
    Posts
    3,970
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    You are right Neil, Gooch was out, not Boca, but the point was the same, he was missed.

    I think if Bornstein was to get a shot, this is a prime spot for him. Plus it's time for Bob Bradley to start Altidore and Torrez to see what they can do. Ching and DMB have been around and are known quantities, such as they are. A home game against TnT is a perfect spot to let these two show their stuff. Plus it might be time for Bradley to get over whatever it is he has against Freddie Adu and give him a shot too.

    This team is transitioning, so we need to start playing the up and comers to see who's for real and who isn't. We found out with Eddie Johnson, so now lets find out with Altidore.
    Altidore & Torres were key ingredients in the last 15 minutes of the El Sal game. According to a few folks it also took the USA up until then to get over it's stunned fear of the crowd. It was supposed to have been deafening on the field & team USA got rattled by it all - or at least that's the latest rumor.... Still, you are correct, they've both earned a starting role for tonight. BB has got to do something to improve the team and these 2 were certainly part of the improved play toward the end in San Sal.

    NJL (awaiting Wednesday to see what BB & crewe do....hoping for the best.... ...)

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,660
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Some news from UEFA's WC qualifying games of last weekend.

    http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...ds+edge+closer

  18. #38
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,660
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    HEY! Since when have Maradonna been Argentina's coach?!

  19. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Southern CA
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,513
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    HEY! Since when have Maradonna been Argentina's coach?!
    Last November. Where you been Buzz??

    It remains to be seen if a guy who can't manage his own life can manage the fortunes of 20 top class players in a Footie crazed country.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Age
    43
    Posts
    16,660
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Buried under a rock apparently... Good luck to them both. Maradonna has had so many problems with drugs and such, I am not convince he will make a good coach.

Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •