vCash

Skaters That Played Other Sports

John Zimmerman, Todd Sand, & Nathan Bartholomay played baseball. Charlie White & Scott Moir played hockey. Does anyone else know of other skaters that played other sports?

vCash
    Albena Denkova was a gymnast before she took on skating.
    Surya Bonaly was into tumbling, some sort of acrobatics (hope I remember that correctly).

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Terry Gannon always loved commenting that Vanessa Gusmeroli was a French National Champion in water skiing and she also won the junior European title in water skiing.

Tara Lipinski and Matteo Guarise achieved success in roller skating. Lipinski's first major competition was the 1990 Eastern Regional Championships for roller skating where she finished second. At the 1991 United States Roller Skating Championships, she won the primary girls freestyle as a nine-year-old. More famously, Guarise is the 2008 World champion in pairs roller skating with Sara Venerucci.
    Last edited by museksk8r; 07-18-2014 at 11:00 PM.

vCash
    Jeannette Altwegg competed at Wimbledon before deciding to focus on skating full-time.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Johnny Weir was an equestrian. Lots of male skaters (esp. from Scandinavia, Canada, and Russia) played hockey before deciding to focus on figure skating.

vCash
    Lloyd Eisler and David Pelletier also played hockey. What Canadian pairs guy hasn't?

I remember an anecdote from Kurt Browning on some epic soccer-playing backstage to the point that the skaters could barely go out and skate that night. Does that count?

vCash
    Marina Kielmann also did roller skating IIRC.

vCash
    IIRC, Max Aaron played ice hockey at one time.

vCash
    There's never a wrong time to post the video of baby Max Aaron playing hockey.

And he was good, too. Team USA good.

vCash
    Todd Eldredge is an excellent golfer. Don't know how long he's been playing.

vCash
    Was Sasha Cohen ever competitively involved in gymnastics?

And though not technically a sport, Jenni Kirk trained with the Boston Ballet for quite a while before deciding to focus on skating only.

As far as I know, Gwendal Peizerat is a passionate skier, even though he's not doing it competitively.

vCash
    Elvis competed in martial arts (not exactly sure the exact form) and placed at Worlds. He also competed in kart racing. Jeff plays hockey.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    Was Sasha Cohen ever competitively involved in gymnastics?

And though not technically a sport, Jenni Kirk trained with the Boston Ballet for quite a while before deciding to focus on skating only.

As far as I know, Gwendal Peizerat is a passionate skier, even though he's not doing it competitively.
    Well since she did gymnastics before moving to skating, I'm sure she attended a handful of competitions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    IIRC, Max Aaron played ice hockey at one time.
    I just saw this comment on the "what's new" feed, and it made me actually LOL. It is impossible for an article or commentator to not mention this so iirc was funny.

I think he was team usa developmental team, not actually team USA. Maybe there isn't a difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I just saw this comment on the "what's new" feed, and it made me actually LOL. It is impossible for an article or commentator to not mention this so iirc was funny.

I think he was team usa developmental team, not actually team USA. Maybe there isn't a difference.
    Eh, I thought it was like U16s and stuff, which I'd refer to as Team USA anyway.

And yes, the NBC loves to mention it in their commentary - like, non-stop. Should be a drinking game. Every time they mention Max-was-a-hockey-player take a drink. (It actually really bugs me. That's what poor Max is reduced to in their commentary? Hockey player?)

vCash
    Vanessa Gusmeroli was a competitive water skier.

vCash
    Vanessa Gusmeroli was the first one I thought of, too, probably because water skiing is rather different from what you might expect from a skater.

Chafik Bessegier started skating late and played soccer and basketball as a kid, I don't know how seriously. Tomas Verner did athletics and football.

In addition to the roller skaters already mentioned, there's also Marika Zanforlin and Federico Degli Esposti.

On the flip side, hockey player Jeff Skinner competed at Canadian Nationals and was a bronze medalist at the juvenile level in 2004 before focusing on hockey. I recognized two future international competitors in that event - Paul Parkinson and Michael Marinaro.

vCash
    Brian Boitano played baseball.

Tonya Harding had her boxing career. Did she ever win a match?

vCash
    I find it funny that quite a few male skaters (Kurt Browning, Scott Hamilton, Todd Sand) were competitive hockey players. As Kurt said in his special "You must remember this" he did the figure skating for the girls.

I also read an article that Barbara Underhill trains NHL players.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopysnake View Post
    Todd Eldredge is an excellent golfer. Don't know how long he's been playing.
    He got started in golf when he trained in San Diego (he must have been about 18 or 19 @ the time).