Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Who to Assign to Ice Challenge Graz AKA Bye To Nationals

I suspect the decision has already been made and not yet posted, but anyway, as this comp is Nov 19-24, it should give the assigned US skaters a bye to Nationals. I hope we have 2 spots per discipline but I'm only counting on 1. My vote is definitely for a Midwest lady- as it stands, we have Alissa Czisny, Hannah Miller, Barbie Long, Ashley Cain, and Mariah Bell all vying for 4 spots. It would be pretty silly not to have all 5 of them at Nationals. PAC is fairly tough but not quite as deep IMO- they have Angela Wang, Rachael Flatt, Vanessa Lam, and Leah Keiser, and of course Caroline Zhang who is quite a question mark at the moment- I could definitely see her taking the rest of the season off if she's injured in some way...and then Laney Diggs and Katarina Kulgeyko probably outside of that group. I definitely wouldn't choose someone from Eastern section- the strongest contendors for Nationals being Kiri Baga, Yasmin Siraj, and Francesca Chiera, and Joelle Forte, who are a solid 4... beyond that I guess Bauth, Buchanan, or Hu could slot in if someone else has a bad day.

For Men, the section to get a guy a bye is definitely Pacs- with Messing, Omori, Razzano, Warren, Rabbitt, and possibly Vincent Zhou in the mix. Mids, which was once a major struggle to make it (remember the Abbott, Ward, Bradley, Pennington, Halverson, Cassar, Brauninger, Jahnke, Campbell, Ben Miller, Overett and even sometimes Lysacek years? that was brutal).....has really thinned out, and at this point we are looking at a pretty breezy walk for Mroz, Johnson, Dyer, and Kaugars. East has Carriere, Hochstein (who really both deserve a GP event at this point) and Dolensky, and then maybe someone like Daniel Raad.

vCash
    It depends on how many spots we have for Ice Challenge. Also, are all the ladies you listed competing as Seniors? Wow

I agree that a Midwestern lady should be priority #1. If Alissa needs a qualifying score internationally, then she should be #1 on the list to go. If she is truly invested in an Olympic berth and needs to qualify score-wise, she should go with her mind set of achieving a minimum score, not necessarily blowing everyone's minds w/ scintillating performances. If not, the USFSA might want to just 'empty' the field by sending Hannah Miller or Mariah Bell. Those last two are probably the most deserving of a senior international competition out of the five Midwesterners you mention. Barbie Long hasn't been all that hot this year, and Ashley Cain went to Nebelhorn already.

I also agree that the PAC field is not quite as deep and doesn't need to be thinned out - Right off the bat, Leah Keiser, having shown promise the past couple of years, has had abysmal performances recently. I think she may still be dealing w/ an injury (?); Caroline Zhang may also be injured and her story is the most depressing for any US lady right now - Worked hard to revamp her technique and actually came back to medal behind Ashley and Mao at 2012 4CC's, only to skate horrendously the past season which seems to be carrying over to this season. Angela Wang has had a full slate of international competitions via the JGP, Lam went to Finlandia and Flatt has had her day in the sun for quite a few years. I have a feeling that she's just skating for herself.

More to play with if the US has 2 spots, obviously - 1 from Midwesterns and 1 from PACS would be my non-expert opinion

ETA - I stand corrected on Keiser. I was unaware of her performances at Regionals. Looks like she's back in fighting shape.
    Last edited by olympic; 10-24-2013 at 12:31 PM.

vCash
    Leah Keiser just won SWP Regionals yesterday by over 35 points, with SP and FS scores of 57.71 and 103.44, respectively.
    http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...019SEG026.html

vCash
    For ladies, it makes sense to send Cain or Czisny-- the others are all skating 'junior' internationally, so I bet these two are on the short list. From Coasts, Keiser hasn't completed an assignment, and Lam has skated in a senior B. My best guess, though, is that Flatt and Czisny will get selected.

I would love to see Coasts clear up for the men-- Has Keegan met criteria to compete internationally this season? If yes, then I would send him and Doug Razzano. I think that Vincent is out for the season, Shotaro is having injury problems, and Warren and Rabbitt aren't in the ISP. Carriere should definitely get another assignment, though, but Easterns isn't as competitive.
    Beefcake's fancy, saccharine, artsy, drag bingo cliche effusing, bipolar, OTT fashionista manchild

vCash
    I like your unbiased opinion, Jayar, and agree.

vCash
    Vincent Zhou was going to skate as a Senior this year at Nationals? Isn't he like 13?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Kegan Messing earned the Worlds TES minimums at both Cup of Nice and Nebelhorn last season.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Entries are already up

USA Team: Hicks, Cannuscio & McMannus, Lynn & Logan, Donlan & Speroff, Kayne & O'Shea. No Men

http://www.icechallenge.at/attachmen...nge%202013.pdf

vCash
    Oh gosh, what brilliant strategizing. However, good for D/S and K/O.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Entries are already up

USA Team: Hicks, Cannuscio & McMannus, Lynn & Logan, Donlan & Speroff, Kayne & O'Shea. No Men

Interesting.

Pairs entries - not surprised. Every Senior US pair has had at least 1 international senior B competition this year, so they are sending the most promising US pairs of those who aren't on the GP.

Singles - I agree w/ Haribobo; utterly stupid. Not sending a US man at all??? For ladies, I don't mind Hicks going on its face, but Leonova might not make it to NHK which would leave a slot open, and Hicks is no. 2 on the substitute list. I think Ice Challenge coincides with NHK, though. I know you can't depend on these things but still ...

It's a very telling entry list because it means Czisny probably isn't competing internationally this year. I don't think the USFSA will send anyone to NRW Trophy in Germany or Golden Spin in Croatia. Those are the last semi-major Senior B's I can think of.

vCash
    It also means her road to Nationals is much more difficult.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

Title-less
    vCash
    I am not sure USFS has in one of its objectives a goal to thin out a sectional to make qualifying easier. It would be nice but it is not an importamt goal for them.

Re Hicks. In the gp thread it is unclear whether Japan has to replace anyone at this time, and I am sure USFS waited to see if it could happen for Hicks. That said, I would be pissed if someone else gets the replacement inlieu of Hicks

vCash
    Nice to see Donlan & Speroff made the cut, as well as Courtney Hicks, but disappointed that no US man did so.

vCash
    So I guess Alexander Johnson isn't well enough to compete yet? I'm so sad. I was hoping he'd get a senior B.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Vincent Zhou was going to skate as a Senior this year at Nationals? Isn't he like 13?
    Vincent turned 13 today! Off-Topic... Vincent's latest blog has photos showing his post-surgery rehab.: http://govincentzhou.wordpress.com/2...n-my-way-back/

Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Pairs entries - not surprised. Every Senior US pair has had at least 1 international senior B competition this year, so they are sending the most promising US pairs of those who aren't on the GP.
    Donlan/Speroff (gold at Nepela) and Kayne/O'Shea (bronze in SLC) are the only 2 pairs that won medals in their first Senior B assignment that don't already have at least one GP so I'm glad they both have this opportunity.

Stephen Carriere (silver in SLC) deserves a second Senior B assignment, IMO.

It's a very telling entry list because it means Czisny probably isn't competing internationally this year. I don't think the USFSA will send anyone to NRW Trophy in Germany or Golden Spin in Croatia. Those are the last semi-major Senior B's I can think of.
    If Czisny qualifies for Nationals by placing in the top 4 at Mids, perhaps she will be sent out in December to get the Olympic minimum qual. scores?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-25-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    Entries are already up

Is USFS holding their men's slot for Lysacek?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    If that were the case, wouldn't there be a "TBA USA" on the entry list for the Senior Men?

From the Announcement: "Entries by name of Skaters and Judges must be made not later than October 20th 2013 20:00 Graz time."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Interesting, I guess USFS isn't that invested in the strong 5 midwestern ladies all making it to Nationals. And as for Czisny, any hopes of going to the Olympics are likely gone because she'd need to get the international TES minimums before then to make the team, and 4CCs is the only international event between Nationals and the Olympics that USFS usually sends skaters to (I know there is Challenge Cup, but isn't that usually around the same time the Olympics are held? ie February?) Further, the 4 other ladies at Mids have all gotten at least 1, and some 2, international assignments already this season, but Czisny has not. Flatt and Lam in PACs have each gotten a senior B, Zhang was at SA, Keiser appears to be on the comeback trail now but wasn't in form to warrant an international assignment earlier this season anyways.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    There are two international competitions between US Nationals and the 27 January deadline for Sochi: Hamar Trophy (singles) and Skate Helena (singles, senior pairs). Coupe Internationale is listed for January 2014, dates TBD, but it's dance only.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Thanks, Sylvia and Pinky. Indeed, the USFSA might be waiting to see what Czisny can accomplish at Sectionals before spending $$$ and sending her to what I assume would be some Senior B competition afterwards. (if that's the way it works).

I think if Czisny does reasonably well at Sectionals, I think she should be considered for a December competition

Kwanfan, you are noting Senior B's post-US Nationals. I assume your theory as to why the USFSA would wait until after Nationals to send Czisny to a Senior B is because they are counting on the fact she probably won't make the cut anyway and they are being 'thrifty'. I haven't heard any updates on her condition, but recovery seems to be taking a verrryy long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast