Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I understand that the calling at Europeans was extremely strict, however if Julia skated two clean programs FOR BLOODY ONCE, she would have definitely medalled in this field.

vCash
    What happened with Nora/Max at European? Why did they withdrew? I still do not understand why Max could skate at the European for Hungary. Did USFS release him, but not Morgan? She and Lief were not listed as alternate for Worlds or 4CC despite placed 5th at the Nationals.
    Last edited by rhumba; 01-27-2009 at 03:05 AM. Reason: edit

vCash
    Max was sick at Europeans, and it made them withdraw after the OD. He made it through the OD, but could not do the FD.

The US did release Max to skate for Hungary. They did not release Morgan. That's because, as I understand it, Max was able to fulfil the USFS's requirements for release, and Morgan was not.

I'm not sure why Leif and Morgan weren't named as alternates to Worlds. I know that there are rules re: who can compete at Nationals, and that those rules are different for international competitions, but I'm not sure of the details in the Leif/Morgan case. Others can clarify.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I understand that the calling at Europeans was extremely strict, however if Julia skated two clean programs FOR BLOODY ONCE, she would have definitely medalled in this field.
    If she'd have skated two clean programs, she'd have *won*.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I'm not sure why Leif and Morgan weren't named as alternates to Worlds. I know that there are rules re: who can compete at Nationals, and that those rules are different for international competitions, but I'm not sure of the details in the Leif/Morgan case. Others can clarify.
    iirc, that's because Leif is still not yet officially released by Canadian Federation?

vCash
    Max was sick at Europeans, and it made them withdraw after the OD. He made it through the OD, but could not do the FD.
    H+Z appeared to be in overdrive in order to catch up on their training and tweak their programs, and the poor guy apparently hit the proverbial wall and got sick again on Wednesday. That said, (IMO) Nóra looked very sharp, and to their credit H+Z did manage to hit two Level 4s and an L3 on the first half of their OD before it all went to utter chaos after Max's fall...

vCash

The US did release Max to skate for Hungary. They did not release Morgan. That's because, as I understand it, Max was able to fulfil the USFS's requirements for release, and Morgan was not.

Thanks for the explanation. Poor Max. What's the requirement that Max was able to fulfill but Morgan wasn't? Can M/G skate for other country if they change their mind? They did not look happy with their placement at Nats. They also are not on the list as alternates which means they will not be able to skate internationally this season?? They seem to have better chance skating for other country than US since there're so many teams that surpass them, not mention about younger teams moving up by Oly 2014.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Apart from the singled Axel, she may have had a shot to skate a LOT better in the free if she hadn't been judged the way she was in the SP. Imho.

vCash
    Rhumba, Matthews/Gislason want to represent US. Leif has not yet been cleared by Skate Canada. You need to check when he competed last. He might be able to do B-Internationals perhaps next season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rhumba View Post
    What's the requirement that Max was able to fulfill but Morgan wasn't?
    Not sure if anyone will admit to it, but didn't the Hungarian Federation pay a sum of $50,000. to USFS for Max's release?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sbanet View Post
    H+Z appeared to be in overdrive in order to catch up on their training and tweak their programs, and the poor guy apparently hit the proverbial wall and got sick again on Wednesday. That said, (IMO) Nóra looked very sharp, and to their credit H+Z did manage to hit two Level 4s and an L3 on the first half of their OD before it all went to utter chaos after Max's fall...
    I was really loving their OD till the fall I thought they were great together .Will they be at worlds ?.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocomo View Post
    Not sure if anyone will admit to it, but didn't the Hungarian Federation pay a sum of $50,000. to USFS for Max's release?
    Not that much, no. But, as I understand it, part of the USFS's being willing to release a skater who's skated for the US at a certain level, is that the USFS must be reimbursed for the training money they've given to that skater.

Max is paying Hungary back. It was more of a loan than a gift. But not $50,000, no. Not that much. I think we discussed this in another thread? Maybe someone can link.

ETA: It's in this thread, on pages 3 and 4. LOL at myself.
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 01-27-2009 at 05:15 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post
    I was really loving their OD till the fall I thought they were great together .Will they be at worlds ?.
    They plan to be at Worlds, yes.

vCash
    Well, i haven't watched julia's programmes too closely

But I'm sure she knows that sometimes life is tough ... and singling the axel and falling on the flip/doubling some jumps in the free are things that she can't blame on other people.

Like the poster above, I hope she just refocuses herself; and tries to skate two clean programmes at worlds to earn two Olympic spots for her country, then retire after the Olympics on a high note. Julia does come across as a nice lady and she deserves to have a happy end to her career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post

It came to our attention that the Hungarian Federation payed 50 000 US dollars (10 million HUF) to the US Figure Skating Association to get Nora's partner's, Maxim Zavozin's competitive release. Half of the sum is already payed to the USFSA, the other half, 25 000 dollars (5 million HUF) will be payed in smaller instalments. No similarly high amount of money was ever payed in the history of Hungarian figure skating, but insiders claim it was all worth.
    Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph ETA: It's in this thread, on pages 3 and 4. LOL at myself.
    Lol.......I thought it was posted in sources.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocomo View Post
    Lol.......I thought it was posted in sources.
    I'm sure there were some details there, too; but when I looked back and saw it was in this thread, one page back... at myself.

vCash
    If she'd have skated two clean programs, she'd have *won*.
    Yes, but that applies to all the ladies at Europeans so she shouldn't be the only one to hold it against her.
    They all seem unable to skate a single clean program, let alone two.

vCash
    The media is all buzz about Júlia, I guess she wasn't that popular or interesting in YEARS.

In the main sports daily paper Nemzeti Sport, there was also a small mention that made it's way to the web too:

http://www.nemzetisport.hu/teli_spor...at-218850.html

Julia Sebestyen retires?

It is very much likely that Júlia Sebestyén finishes her skating carrier. The skater from Tiszaújváros considers retirement after the judging decisions happened at the European figure skating championships last week in Helsinki.

"Retirement is very much possible for me, I've been thinking about it, [because] it's so painful to understand what happened. I love to skate and I lurve this sport, but I'm not sure there is a reason to continue like this" Sebestyén, European champion of 2004, said to the Hungarian Press Agency (MTI). "I think I will need a couple of days to decide if it's worth to go to the world championships."

The 27 year old athlete added, no matter what she did, something was always wrong in the judges' eye.

"I was robbed of the silver medal three years ago, and the bronze last year" she said. "I was tolerating this for a long time now, we're in a scoring sports discipline after all, there is so much room for subjectivity. But enough is enough."

The world championships will take place between the 23-29th of March in Los Angeles.

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    BTW I've been wondering, it bothers me a bit that Sebestyen seemed so content with her SP right after she finished, even though she singled the axel? Is it really the case that she's happy as long as she does both the lutz and the flip cleanly (well that's what she assumed after she finished anyway)?

vCash
    Poor Julia! She has been around so long, a great carriere! I just wish she will have the stamina to go to the Olys and finish then.
    The hight of her good jumps is better than anybody´s and she is such a nice girl. I am not her uberfan, bu I have to give credit of her persistance.
    Anyway, any news about DivaNora and the guy who got the stare?

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast