Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
    Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Allezfred, do you have a link for the schedule?
    It's a PDF file on the ISU website's schedule page. I think it's called "First Information".
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    It's a PDF file on the ISU website's schedule page. I think it's called "First Information".
    Thanks a lot
    I guess they organized the schedule in this way so that there would be just one final every day.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    I think this schedule is so wired, but last year we had men's final and ladies final the same day and I was really exhausted on Saturday evening.
    This year I plan to be there one day before, I love to come to Budapest, can't wait

wannabe flower-girl
    Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Oberstdorf anymore...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Is Saturday night after men's enough for sightseeing? There's also a bit of time on Friday morning before pairs.
    It depends on how much you would like to see. The City Park area (Városliget) is quite close to the arenas/official hotels, and that hosts the big guns, the Museum of Fine Arts and the Art Gallery, also the Zoo (which is huge) and there is Heroes' Square, which for some weird reason seems to attract tourists, but I never found it interesting at all - it is huge though, and has big statues of - you guessed it! - the greatest heroes of Hungarian history.

If you want to see some other stuff too, then you would want to have half a day free - the city centre is pretty albeit dirty and mostly smells, there are museums of various sizes and topics, a pretty impressive Basilica, all within walking distance, there are also some voidy eateries around. The Castle is one thing I wouldn't miss (it's free to wander inside the courts, and there are some museums in there, and there is a funicular ride, which is pretty awesome (and funny thing: it cost more uphill). If it's not too couldy/foggy and the roads are not insanely slippery you should risk climbing up to Gellérthegy (a hill we call a mountain, but that's just bragging in our part) from where you can get the most amazing panorama of the whole city, but for the latter two you have to cross the river, but to be honest, Buda is pretty boring and quiet apart from these attractions - but then again, those two would take at least two, two and a half hours even if you walk in a reasonable pace and don't dawdle much.

And of course Budapest is the city of thermal baths, and the most famous one is Széchényi which is located also in the City Park area, and it's really cool, the open air part of it is open all year through and if it snows you can just float on your back and watch the snowflakes melt into steam just a few feet above you. But there are also about a dozen other baths, some of them cheaper, some of them are pretty expensive - Széchényi among them -, but any of those would need a few hours to experience. (Some also has timed tickets, which expire in 2 or 3 hours.)

You also should keep in mind that most museums and whatnots close early, so if you plan on that kind of sightseeing, one night probably won't be enough. But if you are into walking in the city and stumbling upon serendepitiously on random prettiness, then a Budapest night is exactly what you are looking for, it looks amazing at night, especially on the banks of the Danube.

Okay, that turned into one seriously offtopic post, sorry about that.

vCash
    Poggi, would you like to start a new 2014 Euros/Budapest planning and info thread in GSD?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Poggi View Post
    And of course Budapest is the city of thermal baths, and the most famous one is Széchényi which is located also in the City Park area, and it's really cool, the open air part of it is open all year through and if it snows you can just float on your back and watch the snowflakes melt into steam just a few feet above you. But there are also about a dozen other baths, some of them cheaper, some of them are pretty expensive - Széchényi among them -, but any of those would need a few hours to experience. (Some also has timed tickets, which expire in 2 or 3 hours.)
    Széchényi baths is on my to do list this time!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

wannabe flower-girl
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Poggi, would you like to start a new 2014 Euros/Budapest planning and info thread in GSD?
    Yeah, well, I guess I could. I'm thinking about it.

vCash
    Szécheny Bath http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=063AEkWgcSY

The Gellért Bath is more beautiful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKcL4V-GOfU

City Park Ice Rink http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD-cAPmFo2g beautiful!

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    Poggi (and other local posters) - can I ask you my signature question? Are there any areas where I don't want to book my accommodation considering that the skating events tend to end after 10-11 pm and I want to walk back safely?
    Last edited by Hanna; 09-10-2013 at 10:44 AM.

vCash
    Oh what a BEAUTIFUL city to host a skating event. How I wish I could go. They should host WORLDS there once again.

wannabe flower-girl
    vCash
    Poggi (and other local posters) - can I ask you my signature question? Are there any areas where I don't want to book my accommodation considering that the skating events tend to end after 10-11 pm and I want to walk back safely?
    Really, Budapest is not worse than the average European city. Try to avoid places where there are no streetlights, but those places are few and mostly in the outskirts of the city.

You probably want to stay close to the metro lines, and that way you will be fine. The arena is situated on the red line, but it's well connected, so whatever rocks your boat. Common knowledge is that the 8th and 9th districts have a bad reputation (you can recognize them by the zip codes, they go 108x or 109x) but in my experience they're not that bad.

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Poggi View Post
    Really, Budapest is not worse than the average European city. Try to avoid places where there are no streetlights, but those places are few and mostly in the outskirts of the city.

You probably want to stay close to the metro lines, and that way you will be fine. The arena is situated on the red line, but it's well connected, so whatever rocks your boat. Common knowledge is that the 8th and 9th districts have a bad reputation (you can recognize them by the zip codes, they go 108x or 109x) but in my experience they're not that bad.
    Thanks Poggi!

I actually have a lot of other questions (just booked flights, wheeeeeeeee!) so maybe it'd be time to start a proper thread? I'm speaking like I can't do it myself.
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

wannabe flower-girl
    vCash
    Thanks Poggi!

I actually have a lot of other questions (just booked flights, wheeeeeeeee!) so maybe it'd be time to start a proper thread? I'm speaking like I can't do it myself.
    I did start it.

But you better fire away with those questions before I start to feel very stupid and panicky for starting a thread no-one cares about and go into hiding. (Just kidding… well, kinda.)

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ng-amp-info%29

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829