Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Three short articles about Julia Sebestyen, Nora Hoffmann and Maxim Zavozin, and their qualification at Nebelhorn. No new infos, just press releases.

http://www.origo.hu/sport/egyeb/teli...ncouverbe.html

http://sportgeza.hu/sport/telisport/...t_vancouverbe/

http://www.telesport.hu/Hirek/2009/0...couverbe.aspx#

vCash
    I read some comments by people who went to Nebelhorn and they said Nora and Maxim didn't skate really well. They constantly lost unison on twizzles, step sequences were not clean and there was a fall in the OD during the lift. I wish there were videos

vCash
    Don't worry, I think there might be. Our Hungarian poster Poggi was at the event, but she may not had internet access as she didn't post updates during the competition. I think she will travel home first and start uploading later.

vCash
    Oh, yes! There are some videos now. Greatest thanks to Poggi!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8YL7TFY9MM - Nora and Maxim's OD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0jxs1g278 - their free dance

There is no way for skaters to hide. There will always be a man with a camera

wannabe flower-girl
    Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Oberstdorf anymore...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by daisyculver View Post
    Oh, yes! There are some videos now. Greatest thanks to Poggi!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8YL7TFY9MM - Nora and Maxim's OD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0jxs1g278 - their free dance

There is no way for skaters to hide. There will always be a man with a camera
    Well, I much prefer to be called a girl with a camrea, but whatever

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Even though it's the same FD from NoHo as last year, I still love it!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Thanks for videos. I like both programs. There was no sense to change FD. Because Nora and Max were not lucky to show it at big competitions last season only at Hungarian Nationals. As far as I know they began to work at this dance with Morozov in the fall 2007. Good luck to then this season!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Poggi View Post
    Well, I much prefer to be called a girl with a camrea, but whatever
    Sorry

I can't say I'm positive about their FD. I think it was a bad idea to start with a hip-hop program. And though they skate it for more than a year there seems to be a lot to improve. To my own surprise, I liked Maxim's skating more than Nora's in their FD. She made such abrupt leg movements that for me step sequences looked unaccomplished. Twizzles were really nonsynchronous, and the first part of the spin was just strange.

They skated OD much better, to my mind, except that silly situation with a fall. It could be avoided if there were more coordination and mutual understanding which comes from a long-term partnership.

vCash
    Sorry

I can't say I'm positive about their FD. I think it was a bad idea to start with a hip-hop program. And though they skate it for more than a year there seems to be a lot to improve...
    Nora and Max did have to take a lot of time off while Nora recovered from her head injury. I'm sure that's impacted their ability to perform this FD well.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    What is with Nora's posture? Yikes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Nora and Max did have to take a lot of time off while Nora recovered from her head injury. I'm sure that's impacted their ability to perform this FD well.
    Yes, this can be a reason for sure. And they got really low scores compared to their previous achievements.

I just got to remember that Maxim should also acquire citizenship. Are there any news on that subject?

vCash
    YesI just got to remember that Maxim should also acquire citizenship. Are there any news on that subject?
    Nothing I've heard of.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by igniculus View Post
    Nothing I've heard of.
    I haven't heard anything, either. I'll let you know if I do.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Thank you.

vCash
    New video interview with Julia Sebestyen in the national TV channel m1.

http://videotar.mtv.hu/Videok/2009/1..._olimpian.aspx

The video loads in the white frame after a few seconds, right after the flash advertisement. I must say though, it's a very unprofessional one. The host just got this job in the morning show this week and is rapidly becoming a jerk who suddenly gained power (he used to host the news program previously). He is very uneducated about the sport and has some very weird questions. Julia, who is usually very articulate in her interviews, seems to be very surprised and awkward too.

Transscript & translation:

Host: Our guest today is Julia Sebestyen, good morning.

Julia: Good morning.

Host: So you're going to prepare for your 4th winter olympic games in Vancouver, is that right?

Julia: Yes.

Host: Was there any doubt in your mind that you might not make it to the games?

Julia: Well... last year, I couldn't go to the world championships where I could have qualified already because I a very serious injury. So the main question was rather my foot bearing the training during summer or not...

Host: Achilles?

Julia: Yes, I had an Achilles injury. When I looked at the entry list of the Oberstdorf competition, I felt from the inside that there can't be any problems [with the qualification]. But the ice is slippery, as they say, and anything can occur, but I succeeded and had no problems with qualifying.

Host: Because you finished 4th in this competition...

Julia: Yes...

Host: ... but in the qualification order, you finished 2nd.

Julia: Yes. Everybody was able to compete at this competition, and among those countries that had no qualification yet, they made a list, and I finished 2nd. But when I look at the competition I was very unlucky because I was 3rd in the short program and 2nd in the long, and still finished 4th overall.

Host: How was that possible?

Julia: Cross-marking. [ I have no idea for the specific term she used] Such a thing is possible due to the new scoring system.

Host: At such a competition, what is really your goal? To have a high placement, or to achieve a qualification?

Julia: This was a hard competition because it was the first one in the season and we had to get into some kind of shape very early in the season. My goal was to skate a fairly good short program and an averagely good long program that guarantees me a spot at the olimpics. But this competition was also important due to the fact that we were able to obtain world ranking point. So, with missing the world championships, I'm 10th in the world standings again. This is important, because the draw for an international competition happenes in accordance with the world standings.

Host: How does this exactly work? Do you have to make a new program (both long and short) for each competition or are there required elements? []

Julia: Usually, we make a new long program and a new short program for every new season that we train all year long. Because if I want to present them perfectly, they need a very long time. I need to show them in many competitions so that I can finally feel them as a part of myself. This year, my short program is... a tango, the Libertango, and it has a slow beginning. My long program is to the music of Raul Di Blasio. So I hope that I can skate them perfectly or near perfect when I'm in competitions.

Host: You mentioned it needs some time until you finally feel the programs as part of yourself. But they aren't chosen for you without your input, are they?

Julia: No. We chose the music together with my coach Gurgen Vardanjan and my choreographer Jerena Ipakjan, and we discuss everything together, the theme or the jump layout. What I meant was... that I need to have the programs under my skin, so that when I skate them I don't need to think about the next movement - to have it coming naturally. So that I can focus on the technical content.

Host: What do you need to have such a few-minutes-long program to be successful? Training, mental stability, or luck?

Julia: All thee of them. Because it's the most important to be trained, to be in shape to achieve a good result. But I also need to be calm, not anxcious about the whole thing, that I can focus on my skating. But I also need luck, and I also need the jugdes standing somewhat next to me since this is a sport based on judges' marking. So... we need a whole lot of things.

Host: Vancouver will be your 4th winter olympic games. How many are you still planning?

Julia: Well, I planned this to be my last competitive season...

Host: Why? Did you have enough? []

Julia: I've been skating for a very long time now, making it to international competitions. And this is a sport that you can only do for a specific time. And... in 1998 I was already there in Nagano, so it would really be a sweet encore for me if nothing comes between and I can be there in Vancouver too. So I'd like to...

Host: Are you bored with this sport? [ ] Or can't your knees or ankles handle the training?

Julia: No. I really really love this sport. I do it with love. But I have to say... um...

Host: ... "everything that has a beginning also has its end".

Julia: Exactly.

Host: What comes after Vancouver?

Julia: Well, who knows?

Host: I assume you have some desires? []

Julia: I always put great effort in learning next to being a competitive athlete. I have multiple university degrees by now, various manager degrees including coaching license and sports manager. So when I'm done with this sport I'll have many opportunities to pick from. But I definitely want to stay near figure skating. But there is still loads of time till that. The international competitions are coming up: the Grand Prixs where I got invited again to Russia and America. The European Championships too... So I have a lot of work to do.

Host: Well, congratulations for the olympic qualifications and we will cheer for you in Vancouver. Thank you for lending your time to us.

Julia: Thank you so much.

I love the weird shots on Julia's feet. Is that frequent in other cultures too?

vCash
    Thank you, Igniculus! Yes, the journalist apparently has not got a clue of the sport.
    Four olys is a major achievement, and let´s hope that Julia can be satisfied of her skating there. I have talked with her a couple of times, and she is really a sweetie. When her jumps are on, they are Itoesque high!

vCash
    Thank you igniculus!!!

Julia: I always put great effort in learning next to being a competitive athlete. I have multiple university degrees by now, various manager degrees including coaching license and sports manager.
    Wow! I didn't know that! That's great!

Julia: But I definitely want to stay near figure skating.

I love the weird shots on Julia's feet. Is that frequent in other cultures too? :confused
    I don't think I see it often on Russian TV. But may be it's an upcoming fashion.

In general this interview was rather...strange (meaning and at some points) but I think Julia handled it quite well (somebody had to to save the situation )

vCash
    multiple degrees all while skating full time .... holy smokes, that girl is superwoman. I am so impressed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madge View Post
    multiple degrees all while skating full time .... holy smokes, that girl is superwoman. I am so impressed.
    Most of our (current and past) skaters attend(ed) the University of Sports in Budapest while skating full time.

vCash
    Maybe this is a bit off-topic (sorry) but did one of you ever heard of Anna Mandics and László Sáritz(dance)?

Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast