Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Yay.

Can they revive Dorofejev and Sebestyen as well please?
    Granny . and her monster 3lutz (if landed )!
    can we also unretire Dia Poth?
    and Diva Nora, for sure! such a wasted talent!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    I want Diva Nora back!!!
    One of my all-time- favourite female ice dancers!
    Her Finnish Quickstep was one of my favorites with great performance quality. It's the perfect season for her to come back.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Her Finnish Quickstep was one of my favorites with great performance quality. It's the perfect season for her to come back.
    just to question with whom

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    just to question with whom
    with La Khokh! or Emily Samuelson .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shah View Post
    with La Khokh! or Emily Samuelson .
    oh please, dare you mentioning both in one breathtake

wannabe flower-girl
    Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Oberstdorf anymore...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Can they revive Dorofejev and Sebestyen as well please?
    As far as I know, Júlia is qiute very content coaching the little ones and starting her own skating school and having a handful of promising kids. I have nothing on Dorofjev, but I have a feeling that even the politiking fed would have a very hard time to convince them for a return.

Quote Originally Posted by Eislauffan View Post
    It is a shame that Hungary has not any top-ten skater right now. Hopefully this won't stop spectators from coming. The Hungarian spectators are quite patriotic as I noticed at the recent European Judo Championships. But what if they have nobody to cheer for?
    Yes, patriotic they (okay, we) are. Most probably lots of pressure will be on the dancers to perform, especially how last time Sebestyén won Euros, when it was in Hungary. As there are still no word on the organizing, no venue, no tickets sales or prices (which might be outrageously high), no application form for potential volunteers, no marketing, not a mention even on their own official website. Most people, even those who watch casually, has no idea a big championship will be held in Budapest in a few months, just a couple of weeks before the Olympics; attendance might be catastrophic. Ten years ago though there were times when people were sitting on the stairs and they were selling standing tickets too, just to satisfy the demand (but of course that was the ladies final.) It really is a big question mark right now. If they happen to conjure up someone promising, the public will be behind them, cheering loudly and visibly with huge flags. Otherwise…

Right now there are not only no top 10 skaters, but no male skaters to speak of at all, for example. There is Kristóf Forgó, who practices well and beautifully and competes terribly, and there is Márton Markó, who has some jumps, but not much else.

The ladies might be interesting, but not before the season after next, when the little hopeful girls - Ivett Tóth, Kloé Rozgonyi, Georgina Kántor and probably also Eszter Kósa will be old enough for senior. But then again, anything can happen, and all of them are so young, that you can never tell. Fanni Forgó (Kristóf's older sister) was just as promising as a tiny gal as they are. Ivett I guess is already feeling the pressure to be the Next Big Thing in the Hungarian scene, and one can only hope that it won't burden her much. Right now it's only Pavuk, and Pavuk only, with a chance to redeem herself one last time, after she had been saying for years how her training conditions were horrible, and having to share the ice with the junior team (which is 3 girls), and practising being all but impossible.

Then there is the more-or-less virtual pair, whom we have never even seen, just had heard about how they are training and will be ready sometime at a not specified future date. They have the full support of the fan community though, just as Kristóf Trefil and his partner-do-jour had in the two years of their existence. (Actually most competitors do have the fan support, with the glaring exception of the Chiappa sisters, and Kati Hadford to a lesser amount, who all got their share of flaming next to the love.)

And the dancers are just depressing: there are the two senior couples, who both seem very much satisfied and happy with everything they do, which is a good thing, I guess, and they spend lots of energy and time bitching about each other behind their backs and smiling a lot at each other at the rink, which is not so good. And of course there is the bitterness and disappointment of Diva Nóra, who might want to continue (she says that time to time), but really doesn't have a glimmer of hope. I know that there are a few upcoming junior dance couples, but I haven't seen anything special just yet, though I'd love to be proven wrong.

vCash
    I have just read this article, it has been published in January and it says that the European Championships may not be held in Budapest. Two cities that would like to apply for hosting them are Bolzano and Barcelona. Do you know if these may just be rumours or if there's the possibility of Budapest not hosting Euros anymore? The articles cites lack of money as the reason.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    ISU Communication No. 1797, published on June 18, 2013, confirmed on page 2 that 2014 Euros will take place in Budapest: http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4529
    ISU European Figure Skating Championships,
    Hungarian National Skating Federation to be held in Budapest, Hungary on January 13-19, 2014
    Reportedly the venue in Budapest has changed... maybe someone who knows more can post the latest update?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    There are just some short news releases in the Hungarian press about this, saying that the ISU has accepted a change of venue and the event will be hosted by another arena (Syma Center). Btw, the new venue is basically right next door to the old venue, so for those planning to come, this should not affect accomodation plans, etc.

vCash
    many thanks for the news!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tralfamadorian View Post
    There are just some short news releases in the Hungarian press about this, saying that the ISU has accepted a change of venue and the event will be hosted by another arena (Syma Center). Btw, the new venue is basically right next door to the old venue, so for those planning to come, this should not affect accomodation plans, etc.
    Yes, everything is within walking distance. I'd suggest the Hotel Danubius Arena for folks traveling to Budapest for these championships. It is a nice large (full service) hotel very close to the arena complex, next to a major Metro station. The only downer is that it's not too close to the beautiful famous sites on the Danube but, of couse, we fans like to spend our time at the arena with practices & competition, rather than sightseeing. For anyone wanting to take time-off from the arena, the Metro conveniently takes you to the sites. (Insider tip: make a little time - half day, at least - to savour one of Budapest's lovely thermal baths, such as Sechenyi Baths in the City Park, not far from the beautiful outdoor skating rink.)
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

wannabe flower-girl
    Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Oberstdorf anymore...
    vCash
    some Europeans news for you:

there definitely will be a website though of course is not up and running just yet: http://www.efsc2014.com

ticket sales will start in October, most probably in the beginning. they will be sold through TicketPro (http://www.ticketpro.hu) and the website does have a decent English version.

still no word on the prices.

I know it's not that much, but still better than nothing, right?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Anybody who has booked or is looking to book flights to Budapest etc should note that the pairs free will take place at 11am on the Sunday morning before the gala! They've really changed the schedule around:

15 Jan (Wed)
    10.30 Ladies SP
    17.30 SD

16 Jan (Thu)
    11.45 Men SP
    18.25 FD

17 Jan (Fri)
    13.30 Pairs SP
    17.50 Ladies FS

18 Jan (Sat)
    12.05 Men FS

19 Jan (Sun)
    11.00 Pairs FS
    15.00 Gala
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    ^Thanks for the info.

I don't think I like this schedule

Oh well.

Still fingers crossed I can make it.

vCash
    A weird schedule
    OTOH, pairs are my favourite part of the competition, so I don´t mind it being the last one, but I guess some skaters will throw a because the competition is held at morning, as is PS.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    No partying on Saturday night for the pairs.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Allezfred, do you have a link for the schedule?

being infected by Radionova's obvious joy for skating
    vCash
    Ah, direct flights for only 150 € (mind you, that is a find AND a bargain flying anywhere from Helsinki) for Tue night - Sun night.... I'm so tempted to book right away...

Is Saturday night after men's enough for sightseeing? There's also a bit of time on Friday morning before pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnice View Post
    A weird schedule
    OTOH, pairs are my favourite part of the competition, so I don´t mind it being the last one, but I guess some skaters will throw a because the competition is held at morning, as is PS.
    As in Trankov?
    Rockin' Finnish commentator: "And that was supposed to be a flip but it turned out to be a flop."

vCash
    Hanna, I did not mention any names...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    No partying on Saturday night for the pairs.
    That is so unfair to them.

Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1826272829 LastLast