Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast
    vCash
    This article is about Nora & Maxim.
    http://www.origo.hu/sport/egyeb/teli...k-lesznek.html

Will they return to competitive skateing?
    Could somebody please translate?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AKISIN View Post
    This article is about Nora & Maxim.
    http://www.origo.hu/sport/egyeb/teli...k-lesznek.html

Will they return to competitive skateing?
    Could somebody please translate?
    ok, giving my best, sometimes it was really hard, sorry guys

Nora & Maxim decided after Euros, that they would like to compete again, but they just wil start training if they get support from the hungarian fedaration.
    (now difficult: they seem to have to train at cold rinks and don´t have enough time)

at europeans nora realized, she really misses competetive skating and once again bids maksim to come back.

then their history is mentioned: they started to skate togetehr 2007, aiming 3 national titles, europeans 8th and worlds 10th finishes.
    13th at olympics and reaching the grand prix finale, hoffmann/zavozin (so it´s said) have come closer to the worlds best ice dance couple and it would have been only a matter of time for them to medal.

after that nora became ill and maksim started not to tolerate the bad circumstances they have to skate.
    nora mentioned that they never know how much support they could get from the federation, there was no money, frozen rinks (-25 celsius), no wonder she got her injury.

zavozin now lives in moscow, working as a coach for small kids, is on the ice 5,6 times a week but now is far away of a competetive form.
    it´s compared to 'sleeping beauty'. his doctors mentioned, his body feels like sleeping, after he quits competing.
    he mentioned, he doesn´t exercise much, although he is on the ice every day.

then they watched euros and were quite disappointed about the quality of the ice dance. they couldn´t see any personality in the ice dance teams despite the french and didn´t like the choreos of the other teams. they had the feeling they could become winner (not in a medal way) if they had just skated their (in their opinion) great programs.

this was the moment, when maxim too, has the will, too, to come back, if they find the right coach and if they get the right support from the hungarian federation.

they will loose the world ranking points and therefore will get no grand prix spot next year (they´re thinking), that´s why they wanted to start at the b-seniors-competitions in september. they are n progress now,, wanted to start really workign in may but at the moment, don´t know, what really will happen.

no high official of the national federation talked to them, they seem to have more important things to do, although they tried really hard.

before nora was mentioned to skate under the russian flag, but there were rules, where a skate switches nationality once, he couldn´t do it again, so there was no way to maksim to follow her.

maksim paid a 10 million forinth for naturelization. there were afterwards other partners proposed for hoffmann, but he as world junior champ wnated to skate with her, but he doesen´t want to accept everything now.

the possibility to train in the us is really small, because it´s too far away of their family, too expensive for the national federation and nt good for the couple, if they train at home, that their coach is many many miles away.
    so they will search for a russian coach.

vCash
    Thank you for your translation, Jeschke!

Their situation really sounds very frustrating for them but at least it seems like they are somewhat motivated to keep skating. I hope they find a way via the federation or sponsors. What is the likelihood that the Hungarian federation will help anyways?
    It sounds like they tried asking for their help and didn't get very far. Very sad situation for them.
    I only saw them skate once. I think it was their "witchy" program at a grand prix a couple of seasons ago. But I really liked them! It would be a shame if they could no longer skate when they still have the desire to do so...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Many thanks, Jeschke!

10 million forint = ~ $45K (today).
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Just a small correction (and thank you Jeschke for the translation, very much appreciated), the 10 million huf/$45k was paid by the federation not Maxim.
    Also I hate to say this but maybe Nora needs to change her attitude a tiny bit too, she says about the federation that she hasn't talked to them for months and won't "force" things with them because "now it's their turn to call"... Not that I'm a fan of the Hungarian fed, but really, with that attitude what does she expect...
    Don't you find it worrying that doctors call treating you their "practice" ?

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    When they first paired up, there were posts to say that Zavozin had to reimburse the money.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tralfamadorian View Post
    Just a small correction (and thank you Jeschke for the translation, very much appreciated), the 10 million huf/$45k was paid by the federation not Maxim.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    When they first paired up, there were posts to say that Zavozin had to reimburse the money.
    Yes - Maks is expected to pay back that money.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Yes - Maks is expected to pay back that money.
    True, you guys are right, I forgot about that.
    Don't you find it worrying that doctors call treating you their "practice" ?

vCash
    Copying over Nora Hoffman/Max Zavozin updates posted in the "From Russia With Love - 2012 Off Season" thread:
    Does anyone know what Hoffman/Zavozin's status is?
    Do they continue skating in Moscow?
    Quote Originally Posted by sbanet View Post
    From a couple of articles in the Hungarian sports press about this during mid March, don't have time to translate at the moment, so here's a short news synopsis from those:

First article from 2012.03.09 re: Hungarian Skating Federation
    http://www.origo.hu/sport/egyeb/teli...aros-es-a.html

Federation contacted Nóra to discuss what sort of budget she would need per year to continue with a partner. (Namely a substantial chunk of the funds allocated to the entire skating federation - including junior skaters, speed skaters, etc.) Article goes on state how stretched the federation is, and how expensive ice time is these days in Hungary. (Apparently a lot more than it is in Sweden, fwiw...)

Second article, dated 2012.03.19 is a rather gossipy piece from Sport Géza with a bit of divatude from Nóra and some nice pictures. (Goggle translate at your own peril )
    http://sportgeza.hu/sport/telisport/...itsuk_egymast/
    Nóra contacted the Federation to thank them, and to officially notify the end of her ice-dance partnership with Maksim. There still might be possibility for Nóra to team up with another partner for Sochi and 2014 Euros in Bp, but only if she can find someone who has the potential to bring good results - she's not going to skate just for the hell of it.

At that time, Nóra was still in Moscow, working at the same skating/snow-sports complex where Maks has been coaching kids. The salary potential/opportunities are better in Moscow, however, she would consider returning to Hungary if there is a good situation for her there.

(Hope that works for you all...)
    Thank you for the articles and summaries!!!

Having read this article (via Google translation), I thought they might come back to the competitions.
    but after that, the news that Nora & Maxim officially ended their partnerships had appeared. I did not know that

I really loved this couple, so it is very sad. I hope Nora can find a good partner...
    Quote Originally Posted by sbanet View Post
    IMO that Hungarian "Sport Geza" article on Hoffmann+Zavozin is a bit weird and perhaps a little dodgy regarding the pair's quotes, so I wouldn't take everything from there as "100% official". (Thus my hesitation to directly translate it... ) However, it does appear that if Nora is willing/able to compete again, it would be with a new partner. Hopefully it will work out for her.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 05-23-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    There is a new hungarian pair! Hungrian Mark Magyar and french Camille Foucher. Maybe we will see them on the european championship.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnPkg...ature=youtu.be

vCash
    If she goes to Zagreb she'll meet her ex partner Bruno Massot

wannabe flower-girl
    Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Oberstdorf anymore...
    vCash
    Viktória Pavuk announced her retirement a few days ago, incidentally just a few days before Nationals. (The whole affair went so silently that I don't think anyone noticed it immediately. Anyway, here is the official announcement at the Hungarian Federation's site, and while Google does give a decent translation, I can just summarize the deal:

The article mentions, that she was 4th in Euros 2004, and that she started skating when she was 3.

'Starting this season I won't enter any competitions' said Pavuk (26) 'but I won't be far away from skating. I will perform in exhibitions, the last time I went to the opening of the Óbuda [public outdoor seasonal] rink, and in February I will go to Quatar, and I can always join revues if I missed the ice too much.'

She mentions that she is very proud to be Hungarian Champion in 2011 and of course the Europeans 4th place, and she is just as proud of her bronze medals from the Junior Grand Prix Final and her participation in the 2006 Turin Olympics. [She mentions much more, but you know, that's what Wikipedia is for.]

She has a new career path ready, she says: 'I graduated from a media school and four months ago I started working as a reporter in a cultural TV channel. I'd like to be up to the task and succeed in that walk of life too.'

wannabe flower-girl
    Toto, I have a feeling we are not in Oberstdorf anymore...
    vCash
    Newsflash: Pavuk decided to un-retire, with the Hungarian Fed realizing they have no entries in any discipline apart from the ice dance couple in next year's Budapest Europeans. They promised better training conditions to Pavuk, and she reported to land under-rotated double Axels and triple Salchows after only three practices, and she is surprised how steady she feels on the ice after missing a year. She will start the season in Nebelhorn, though an Olympic berth is not expected of her, only a qualification to Euros.

summarized and paraphrased from here: http://www.nemzetisport.hu/egyeb_egy...ni-fog-2244095

vCash
    Best of luck to pavuk. She has nothing to lose

vCash
    Excited to hear this about Viktoria Pavuk. She's had a very long career and it's wonderful to see her come back for another go!

vCash
    Yay.

Can they revive Dorofejev and Sebestyen as well please?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelvster View Post
    Best of luck to pavuk. She has nothing to lose
    Will she do a "Me and Bobby McGee" Short Program?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA View Post
    Yay.

Can they revive Dorofejev and Sebestyen as well please?
    I want Diva Nora back!!!
    One of my all-time- favourite female ice dancers!

Sure podium potential at least in the Europeans!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Poggi View Post
    Newsflash: Pavuk decided to un-retire ...she reported to land under-rotated double Axels and triple Salchows after only three practices ...
    Which means that she basically is where she left off? ;-) She struggled a lot with cheated jumps. Anyway it is good that they have a lady trying to qualify for Euros. Maybe the pair will make it as well. Mariusz Siudek went there in April to work with them. It is a shame that Hungary has not any top-ten skater right now. Hopefully this won't stop spectators from coming. The Hungarian spectators are quite patriotic as I noticed at the recent European Judo Championships. But what if they have nobody to cheer for?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Poggi View Post
    Newsflash: Pavuk decided to un-retire, with the Hungarian Fed realizing they have no entries in any discipline apart from the ice dance couple in next year's Budapest Europeans.
    Foucher/Magyar are training with Siudeks, aren't they? They competed at one or two international events this spring already. Very poor results but those were their first outings and he was away from skating for long with serious injuries. So hopefully they'll improve on that next season.

Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 LastLast