vCash

Question Ettiquette & A Dick Button Interview

I know that it's been very firmly suggested on skating forums that interviews and content written on blogs and other sites be kept in one thread, but I'm curious as to whether it would be OK to include my interview with Dick Button in its own thread in the 'Great Skate Debate' area so it reaches a wider audience when I post it later this week? I don't want to step on any toes.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    I know that it's been very firmly suggested on skating forums that interviews and content written on blogs and other sites be kept in one thread,
    It has? Here?

I'm curious as to whether it would be OK to include my interview with Dick Button in its own thread in the 'Great Skate Debate' area so it reaches a wider audience when I post it later this week? I don't want to step on any toes.
    Sure! Many posters will be interested in what Uncle Dick has to say. I will say that it is not appreciated when people post threads like this and seize the opportunity to promote websites, blogs or other works, but you are welcome to post an interview and a link.

And thank you for asking .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Hi Prancer -- When I started blogging and coming back on this forum, I got a pretty snarky message from someone (not sure who because I seem to have deleted it) saying that I should keep any interviews, etc. all in one thread because basically it was cluttering up the feed. I wouldn't be posting the interview in its entirety here - if posting a link to an interview on an external site is an issue, I'll happily include the Dick Button interview in the thread for new interviews/blog updates I already have going. I'm the first to admit that I am promoting my own blog/Facebook page, but it's relatively new and I'd love to see the audience grow. Putting it out there to a big fan base is how you do that. Just don't want to step on any toes.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Hi Prancer -- When I started blogging and coming back on this forum, I got a pretty snarky message from someone (not sure who because I seem to have deleted it) saying that I should keep any interviews, etc. all in one thread because basically it was cluttering up the feed. I wouldn't be posting the interview in its entirety here - if posting a link to an interview on an external site is an issue, I'll happily include the Dick Button interview in the thread for new interviews/blog updates I already have going. I'm the first to admit that I am promoting my own blog/Facebook page, but it's relatively new and I'd love to see the audience grow. Putting it out there to a big fan base is how you do that. Just don't want to step on any toes.
    Ah, well. Interviews are one thing; if you look at the Great Skate Debate forum, you will see a lot of threads about individual interviews.

But to be honest, we're not really interested in blog posts around here, and we consider people who post about their blogs to be using this forum for free advertising, and no, we don't like that. This board is supported in part by advertising, so people who want to advertise here should buy ads.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    So to clarify, if it's an interview it's considered OK to post that in the Great Skate Debate but to post anything else would not be of interest to the forum?

I do agree that anyone looking to advertise a product should buy ads. A blog is not technically a product if it's written for free, not supported by ads and has a budget of zero (not accepting donations). While I totally respect where you're coming from, I'm still a little confused.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    So to clarify, if it's an interview it's considered OK to post that in the Great Skate Debate but to post anything else would not be of interest to the forum?

I do agree that anyone looking to advertise a product should buy ads. A blog is not technically a product if it's written for free, not supported by ads and has a budget of zero (not accepting donations). While I totally respect where you're coming from, I'm still a little confused.
    Okay; a sizable number of people are interested in reading an interview with Dick Button and interviews with other people in skating like Dick Button, and so a separate thread for such things is fine.

But skating blogs are something else. People may or may not be interested in what bloggers have to say. I haven't followed your posts and don't know what people think of yours; this is the first I've heard of it. I think keeping your blog posts in a single thread is fine, but I don't think it would be a good idea to start a new thread every time you put up a new blog post. If people like your blog, they will find you.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Oh. I thought this was going to be about an exciting new fsu feature for rating because the only part of the thread title that showed in my mini-screen mini-browser was "Etiquette & A Dick Button"
    Have a nice day!

vCash
    Thanks so much for the clarification, Prancer. I'll stick to keeping blog posts and articles in one thread and will make threads only for bigger interviews that might be of interest to a wider audience. I've only been blogging for less than a year and have already done over 100 interviews with skaters, coaches, choreographers and fans alike but without advertising, it's always a challenge to reach out to a new audience! I'll share the Dick Button interview when it's ready. Thanks for taking the time to clarify!