Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Go Team SW Florida! =)
    At Great American Ballpark cheering on my Cincinnati Reds
    vCash
    Yay London!! That's pretty cool. I too was surprised it didn't go to Paris but both of those cities had stellar bids. I think London will do a job. Congrats London!!

*ponders a vacation in 2012*
    An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

"I guess I'm just...I'm not used to someone putting me first." -Emma, Once Upon a Time, episode 2x3, Lady of the Lake

vCash
    Drat.

That's another 20 quid onto my council tax bill.

I forsee a lot of unfinished buildings and empty stadiums ...

Plus impossible traffic snarlups and stranded athletes ....

Blurrggghhh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whizzoom
    Drat.

Blurrggghhh.

You could always rent out your house for the duration and go to Barbados with the money?

The final vote was incredibly close. London 54-50 Paris.

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy
    What month will the games be held in London?
    From this article ( )
    Taking questions from journalists, Coe clarified that the Games in London would be held in late July and early August 2012.
    Why London won the Olympic race

Photos from London's bid

I registered to "Back the Bid" so I guess I'm entitled to feel I was some small part of this
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi
    I registered to "Back the Bid" so I guess I'm entitled to feel I was some small part of this
    So did I but I was sure America would get it as they do every 10 years or so.

I went to the Sydney Olympics and I thought that would be my lifetime Olympic experience.

I will DEFINITELY volunteer. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Of course, triple Wimbledon winner 37 year old Tim Henman will be lighting the flame...... (I feel I can be optimistic now.)

Heck, I don't even LIKE visiting London most of the time! But I'm still excited.

I already know a little tidbit of info because a few weeks ago there was a big party of officials measuring up and taking photos of Oxford University sports ground . Supposedly for no reason at all but it seems like everyone in the city knows it's going to be an Olympic training camp for some country or countries prior to the Olympics.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Yea! Definitely considering going over for this one.

OK, forget considering; Mr. Twizz says we're going, lol.
    Last edited by twizzlestick2; 07-06-2005 at 03:06 PM.

vCash
    I'm exicted that it'll be in London, I'll try to be there.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Wow! Madrid was actually in the lead after the 2nd round!

The voting

vCash
    London's plans included bringing back to life an apparently old, warn down, dilapidated area of East London. Reinvigorating an area such as this can certainly lead to a lasting Olympic legacy, something that the IOC very much desires. Paris on the other hand involved the use of venues already in place. So once the Olympics are finished, the area would probably just go back to being as it already was prior to the Games. The Olympic legacy might just get lost in the glamour and glitz that is Paris in future decades. London's bid involved so many improvements for the city that it's almost impossible that the Olympics would be forgotten with time, leading to a lasting legacy. In this sense, I'm happy for London to have won the 2012 Games. I'm still a Paris fan, but congrats to all of our UK posters!

Regions of recent Summer Olympics:
    2000: Oceania (Australia)
    2004: Europe (Greece)
    2008: Asia (China)
    2012: Europe (UK)
    2016: ???

It would seem that bids from North America (US, Canada, & Mexico) would stand a very good chance of winning in 2016. It would be about time that North America was due another summer Olympics.... unless of course a South American city could put together a good enough package to win the games (I think an Olympics in Buenos Aires, Argentina would be incredible). I just hope the USOC doesn't select NYC as it's candidate city for the 2016 games. I would much prefer San Francisco to bid again and be choosen as our candidate city (or maybe even Seattle).

Prick Admin
    vCash
    The Blair Factor

Irish IOC member Patrick Hickey said: "This is down to Tony Blair. If he hadn't come here I'd say that six to eight votes would have been lost and London would not be sitting here today winners.

"The four votes that were in it in the final round were definitely down to him.

"Chirac came far too late."

vCash
    Yay London!!!!!
    Team Peeps!

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Congrats to London - I'm sure they'll do a fabulous job. And good luck to France for the next winter Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred
    Now I hope that this will put to rest forever the old myth that no-one in Europe likes the UK.
    No, I think it just shows that they hate France more! I'd assume that London picked up all the North American votes as they are currently very anti-France.

It looks like all the Madrid voters, as well as the Spanish contingent who couldn't vote until their city went out, were Real Madrid fans and were swayed by the Beckham factor. So thank you David, you may be thick but you are very pretty.

vCash
    Arrrgg. I really thought Paris had all it would take. I'm not so upset about London though.

Now I have this Paris 2012 logo in ALL of my photos from Paris.
    I'm glad I took pics of the eiffel tower from the other angle

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    I've been in such a void watching the TV coverage!

Someone, I forget who now, said that at running tracks and in swimming pools all over Britain tonight there'll be teenagers training just that little bit harder, and that made me tear up again. As did quite a few other moments. Tessa Jowell was crying! Sue Barker looked like she was about to explode from the excitement. Tony Blair sounded genuine and likeable! David Beckham sounded like he had things worth saying! Truly a momentous day

They nearly had to abandon the live BBC report from Paris because they were getting booed and people were throwing firecrackers

This is from an article by Simon Barnes from a few years ago, explaining why people should get behind the London bid:

You know that feeling when summer explodes over London and the girls emerge from their winter pupae into warm-weather glory and men wear their jackets on their thumbs and the parks are full of chattering bands and the pubs spill out across the streets and people smile at strangers and London fizzes like Michael Schumacher’s champagne? The Olympics are like that. Multiplied by 1,000 and extending over 17 days.

Every one of the 10,000 athletes you see is living the day of his life, of her life: the day for which every other day has been a preparation. And all the world is watching. For 17 days, London is the capital of the universe, and it is a universe en fête.
    Wheeeeeeeeee!
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

vCash
    I feel really sorry for Paris, I know how much it hurts to be the favorite and lose the Games (I will never ever forget that infamous June 19, 1999 when my town, the favorite, lost to Torino for the 2006 Winter Games - a political decision, unlike this time apparently).

That said, I'm very happy for London, because it seems that they had a incredible popular support too, and I'm sure they will organize fantastic Games.

So congrats London and now good luck for getting everything ready by 2012!!

vCash
    I know what you mean Celine - in my case it was SLC being chosen over Quebec City in 1995 (heard the announcement on radio from my walkman at school, before an exam). And then of course there was the whole bid scandal, grrr. But I don't think the strong separatist movement at the time (with an upcoming referendum) helped.

But wheee London!!! I'd so lurve to go.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Congrats London! I am going to try to go! I will have 6 years to pay off the Turin bills!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    WHEE! I am so excited for London. I was so rooting for NYC and Paris to be eliminated. Of course, London was my favorite, but Moscow or Madrid would have been acceptable alternates. Miffy... want some company in 2012?

vCash
    I'm so glad these will be in London. The people here in NY didn't really want them, but the folks in both Paris and London did certainly seem to. I'm so glad that it went to one of those two cities. Since London is my favorite city in the world, I'm thrilled that it's there. I just wish that I'd be able to go, that would be a heck of a trip.

I'll work on hitting the lotto between now and then.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast