Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    MSNBC had Atlanta's olympic president on, he said he would love to see a tape of Blair's speech, he said "I bet it was mesmerizing".
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Vacant
    vCash
    I can't believe it!!!!! WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW Someone just came into the staff room screaming!!!!!!

OMG OMG OMG I can't wait to get home to watch this on the news

vCash
    I wonder what the vote count was.

Well I guess now that Paris has lost, Annecy, France will be attempting to win the 2014 Winter Olympics. The city was interested in hosting in 2014, but obviously if Paris had won the 2012 summer games, it would be highly unlikely Annecy could get the winter games.

2014 Annecy: http://www.olympliquons-nous.com/

vCash
    Great for London! I love that city...

I also love Paris. The good thing about Paris not winning is that now they can take down those horribly colourful "Paris 2012" signs. They ruined my pictures last summer...

vCash
    Apparently, Blair said, "Our vision is to see millions of young people participate in sport and improve their lives, London has the power to make this happen". Very powerful words from PM Blair. The IOC said, yes.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

vCash
    YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha! I knew London would win. I just didn't dare post London in case it had the same affect as my Henman cheers. (I also didn't dare go to trafalgar square. Kiss of death on the bid!)

I had a bet with my lab collegues about this so I am now £5 richer

Edited to add, the BBC site is so crashed right now with people clicking in to find out the result.

vCash
    So... GOOOOOOOOO ANNECY!!!!

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    What month will the games be held in London? Depending on the city and weather conditions, they've been held in July, August, September and even October (Sydney).

vCash
    Three Cheers for London! Hip Hip Hooray!, Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray!!!

I'm so glad, they so deserved it and I know they'll do a great job!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy
    What month will the games be held in London? Depending on the city and weather conditions, they've been held in July, August, September and even October (Sydney).
    It doesn't matter because the weather cannot be predicted. Could be good, could be bad? But I think start of August because at Wimbledon they were talking about the courts would need 6 weeks to recover if they were to stage the Olympics on them.

vCash
    Bravo Londres! I'm sure all of you English people and all the ones who like London are so happy! I'm not worried, the people here will forget the event soon ... We are inside of the euphory, but it's like everything, in 2 weeks, something else will come and will let us forget everything.
    I think London had a wonderful "dossier". I understand the french sportmen very disappointed because they really know what the Olympic games mean, but I'm not WITh the people being in Paris right now and doing vulgaire gestures, because those people have nothing to do with sport. They were here just to "celebrate".

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Oh, one more thing. Who would declare the games officially open? The PM? The Queen?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patoche
    I think London had a wonderful "dossier". I understand the french sportmen very disappointed because they really know what the Olympic games mean, but I'm not WITh the people being in Paris right now and doing vulgaire gestures, because those people have nothing to do with sport. They were here just to "celebrate".
    It reminds me those people in the skating rink making noise during the competition, just there to take pictures or give presents to the skaters, don't watch the programs. They are not there for the sport but only to be with the skaters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GREGORY
    It reminds me those people in the skating rink making noise during the competition, just there to take pictures or give presents to the skater, don't watch the programs. They are not there for the sport but only to be with the skaters.
    Exactly. I don't want to appear proud or selfconfident, not at all, but I have the feeling to know what it has meant for the french Olympic Commitee to "loose" its dream. Most of the people in front of the Hotel de Ville in paris (but probably also in London!) identified suddendly with "the Olympic games" and became "crazy" under this euphory, but don't know what sport is. Ask them to talk about one sport in particular ... I'm sure the result of no answeres would be surprising...
    But I'm very sad for the sportmen who were so much involved in this campagne, even the "winter-olympic" sportmen!

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    The round-up at the end of the broadcast made me cry

I'm already starting to worry about how I can make sure I'm there

I keep thinking of Euro '96, the atmosphere that summer was so amazing, it was like the whole country was in celebratory mood, and 2012 should be even better. Wheeeeeeeeee!
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W
    I wonder what the vote count was.

Well I guess now that Paris has lost, Annecy, France will be attempting to win the 2014 Winter Olympics. The city was interested in hosting in 2014, but obviously if Paris had won the 2012 summer games, it would be highly unlikely Annecy could get the winter games.

2014 Annecy: http://www.olympliquons-nous.com/
    I have tried to give my support, but it doesn't work ........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy
    Oh, one more thing. Who would declare the games officially open? The PM? The Queen?
    I believe that the ICO President opens the games. If not, it would be the Queen or the King, if Elizabeth is not around in 2012.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi
    I keep thinking of Euro '96, the atmosphere that summer was so amazing, it was like the whole country was in celebratory mood, and 2012 should be even better. Wheeeeeeeeee!
    I watched Euro96 on the big screen at Wimbledon (in the days before it was "Henman hill") and it was fab even though it all ended on penalties.

France is lucky because they can host the winter games. Britain never can due to lack of snow (I guess there is potenital if half the Scottish Highlands were bulldozed to make way for it, but I think the environmental impact would rule it out!) so has only half the number of chances to host (as do most countries).

I love you Seb (despite the Tory MP thing.).

vCash
    Wheeeeeeeee! I just heard the news (i forgot to watch the announcment.)

Yay for London!

I am so shocked, i really thought Paris would get it.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin
    I believe that the ICO President opens the games. If not, it would be the Queen or the King, if Elizabeth is not around in 2012.
    The head of state of the host country typically declares the Games open.

Congratulations, London! I was that it wasn't Paris, but wheeee for upsets!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast