Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Closing in on the 2012 Olympics announcement

We are now just 6 days away from the announcement of the location for the 2012 Summer Olympics. So go ahead and cheer on the city you're most hoping wins the bid here in this thread.

I found this article online talking about the two front runners, London and Paris. I thought it was pretty interesting to read considering the writer is from London, but has been living in Paris for the last three years. The Olympics' Tale of Two Cities

I had been slightly pulling for Paris, but after reading the above article, I think I'm now fully behind the Paris bid. The though of the Olympics being held in that city just paints too pretty of a picture in my mind to not pull for a Paris win. Allez Paris!

The candidate cities:
    Paris 2012
    New York 2012
    Moscow 2012
    London 2012
    Madrid 2012

IOC 2012 Olympics Page
    Last edited by Aaron W; 06-30-2005 at 09:32 AM.

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W
    I had been slightly pulling for Paris, but after reading the above article, I think I'm now fully behind the Paris bid. The though of the Olympics being held in that city just paints too pretty of a picture in my mind to not pull for a Paris win. Allez Paris!
    I don't know.... when I was in Paris in January, I thought the "Paris 2012" signs plastered all over everything were soooooooo tacky and ruined an otherwise beautiful sightscape. If Paris does win, I hope they take down the signs between now and then. I would like my next visit to be free of those signs (and free of strikes, but that's a pipe dream ).

Banned Member
    vCash
    I think Moscow's "Olympic River" plan sounds neat.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05181/530747.stm

vCash
    I hope it's neither Moscow, nor New York. I cannot picture solving traffic problems in these two cities.
    lurking and delurking

vCash
    Hope it's anything BUT Paris. It's expensive enough as it is
    (17 days before the flight to Paris....)

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Interesting. Personally, as soon as the final cities were even announced I picked Paris all along. Don't know why really, but I just think its going to Paris in like a landslide vote or something. And I'm sorry, but New York never had a chance in you know what. I will be shocked if anyone but Paris gets it.

But that's just me ........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TAHbKA
    Hope it's anything BUT Paris. It's expensive enough as it is
    (17 days before the flight to Paris....)
    Actually according to the article I posted the link to, Paris sounds like it would be a fair amount cheaper than London. It mentioned 50% cheaper tickets, hotel rooms that have already been guaranteed so that the price can't be raised during the Olympics, free transportation throughout Paris for Olympic ticket holders (and it's suppose to be very compact, so everything would be in close proximity to each other anyway). It all sounds sweet to me.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Im not too bothered about London or Paris, they're both close enough for me to get tickets to the Olympics for my ...erm 40th Birthday that year!
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SaSherka
    I hope it's neither Moscow, nor New York. I cannot picture solving traffic problems in these two cities.
    To tell the truth, I'm wondering how they're going to solve the traffic issue in Beijing too

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE
    Im not too bothered about London or Paris, they're both close enough for me to get tickets to the Olympics for my ...erm 40th Birthday that year!
    LOL I talked about it with my mom a couple of weeks ago and we thought it'd be quite nice to take a trip to Paris 2012 to celebrate our 60th and 30th birthdays!

Allez Paris!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Celine82
    LOL I talked about it with my mom a couple of weeks ago and we thought it'd be quite nice to take a trip to Paris 2012 to celebrate our 60th and 30th birthdays!

Allez Paris!
    I'll be 30 as well in 2012. So I guess I'd actually prefer that 2012 always remain in the distant future.

But I can be excited for the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics because I'll still be in my 20s.

vCash
    A little controversy:

London experts sparked a dispute with Paris on Monday by criticizing the French capital's proposed Olympic stadium - an apparent breach of bidding rules for the 2012 Summer Games.

Jim Sloman and Rod Sheard, Australian consultants to the London bid, were critical of the sightlines for spectators at the Stade de France, the venue built for the 1998 soccer World Cup and the proposed centerpiece of the 2012 Summer Games.

Both bid teams later played down any flap. The Paris 2012 committee said it would not complain to the IOC ethics commission, which polices the bidding rules.
    Under International Olympic Committee rules, the candidates - Paris, London, Madrid, Moscow and New York - aren't allowed to criticize the bids of rival cities.

London bid spokesman Mike Lee attempted to defuse the situation, saying although Sloman and Sheard had consulted for London in the past, neither was under contract in Singapore.

"We understand the rules and guidelines. The comments were not made by a member of the bid team or a spokesman for the bid," Lee said. "Mr. Sheard, as a stadium designer, has his views and he's not in any position to speak on behalf of the London bid."
    http://ap.whiznews.com/dynamic/stori...Z&SECTION=HOME

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron W
    Actually according to the article I posted the link to, Paris sounds like it would be a fair amount cheaper than London. It mentioned 50% cheaper tickets, hotel rooms that have already been guaranteed so that the price can't be raised during the Olympics, free transportation throughout Paris for Olympic ticket holders (and it's suppose to be very compact, so everything would be in close proximity to each other anyway). It all sounds sweet to me.
    Hm.. I guess you got a wrong impression of my wanting to go to the Olympics. not at all. I love Paris and as far as I'm concerned I'd love to spen at least a week every summer there. If the Olympics to be held there it will be expensive for ME personally to be there, whether it's before, after or during the games.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    at Sharpie turning 40 and Aaron turning 30 ... which means I'll be two years from FIFTY that year!!!

Fingers crossed that New York doesn't get it as long as I live here, and that Toronto never bids again in my lifetime.

I'm all for the Olympic spirit, as long as it's somewhere else!

vCash
    http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...rt_olympics_dc

New York declared it would win but Paris remained the marginal favorite on Wednesday as the International Olympic Committee (IOC) opened an all-day meeting to decide the host of the 2012 Summer Olympics
    New York tried to land a late psychological blow by declaring it would win just hours before IOC members gathered at 8:30 a.m. (0030 GMT).

New York bid chief and deputy mayor Dan Doctoroff issued a bullish statement which read: "New York's bid is perfectly positioned to win the 2012 Games. This evening New York's Olympic dream will become reality."

But Tuesday night gossip in the luxury hotels of the Raffles City complex suggested Paris remained marginal favorites, ahead of London, Madrid, New York and Moscow.
    So at 7:45am EDT, we should know the winner. I'll be waking up for work at 6:40am CDT, so I should be able to catch the announcement on tv. Allez Paris!

vCash
    Interesting about New York. The lastest report I read said it's pretty much between London and Paris at this point. Well, we'll see soon enough I suppose

vCash
    New york's presentation has been very good and very clear. But as a french and because I'm a Parisian since always i have to say : ALLEZ PARIS.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Brits giving a good presentation, but after seeing that the IOC voters are around 50% European, I dont hold out much hope. The rest of Europe dont like us much (PML I sound like a disgruntled Kwan fan)
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SHARPIE
    Brits giving a good presentation, but after seeing that the IOC voters are around 50% European, I dont hold out much hope. The rest of Europe dont like us much (PML I sound like a disgruntled Kwan fan)

Quoting a certain Frenchmen the only thing the Brits ever done to the argiculture was a mad cow...

Caulkhead forever
    vCash
    Wheeee, the BBC have let Barry Davies loose with his most sarcastic commentary! While they were explaining the voting at length he said they were "making sure that everyone from four years old upwards can understand, though maybe I'm being unkind to two year olds and three year olds."
    I am too long away from water;
    I have a need of water near.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast