Ilia Malinin Fan Thread!

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?

mtnskater

He's got to stop doing this!!!

I was a cheerleader for four years and we did back flips on hardwood floors and asphalt tracks in saddle shoes with no cushioning :p :cheer2:Never got injured doing them.

Since Adam (and Nathan) are doing them on ice, I bet we will see one on ice from Ilia soon. Quads are much harder.

cailuj365

That TheIliaSociety twitter is incredible. I don't know how she finds and compiles all of his news, including international sources. Thank you Sylvia for also collecting all of Ilia's memorable moments on this thread!

I find it interesting how Ari seems to follow/chaperone Ilia during all his exhibitions and major comps. I'm glad for the extra videos/pictures that he provides and for putting together pretty much the only US ice show this year, but I've never seen an agent who just follows the skater around like this all over the world. He's essentially Ilia's instagram photographer!

princeton123

I think Ari knows where his bread is buttered

Although maybe Ilia’s parents also feel more comfortable if he has a chaperone. He only just turned 19 and has never lived away from home and goes to all competitions with one of his parents. Unlike many other skaters who’ve had to move to train, he’s essentially spent his whole life in his parents nest

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks to @ice coverage for this update today (April 9) in the 2024 Spring/Summer Club Ice Shows & Benefits thread in GSD:
Just announced: Ilia Malinin will perform as Guest Artist on May 6 for ITNY's benefit gala at Chelsea Piers in NYC.
(Ilia only for May 6 show; not May 3 or May 4.)
The Ice Theatre of New York's 2024 Benefit Gala and Performance will take place on Monday, May 6, 2024 at 6:30 pm at Sky Rink at Chelsea Piers in NYC: https://www.icetheatre.org/2024-benefit-gala-and-performance.html
Performance, Cocktails, Dinner (The Lighthouse Chelsea Piers) and Award Ceremony
The Gala Performance will feature the ITNY Ensemble and guest artists
Honorees: Olympians Meryl Davis & Charlie White and Tanith Belbin White & Ben Agosto
Choreography Award: Sandra Bezic
Alumni Award: Judy Blumberg
ITNY's regular Home Season Performance shows will also feature the ITNY Ensemble and guest artists at 7 pm on Friday, May 3, and Saturday, May 4: https://www.icetheatre.org/2024-home-season-performances.html[/URL

Sylvia

TBD
April 9th article:
Malinin’s first world championship didn’t exactly go unnoticed by the Mason community.
“Six quads in a single performance?” asked Tim Groseclose, an economics professor within the College of Humanities and Social Sciences and the holder of the Adam Smith Chair at the Mercatus Center, who knows a little something about the sport thanks to a daughter who skated. “He’s basically the Michael Jordan of figure skating—not just the best in the world, but probably will be the world’s best for quite some time … and he’s an econ student at Mason!”
… Although he’s yet to declare his major, Malinin hopes to eventually study civil engineering, with an eye on design or architecture.

ETA: https://twitter.com/GeorgeMasonNews/status/1777670472089436216

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Thanks to @ice coverage for this update today (April 9) in the 2024 Spring/Summer Club Ice Shows & Benefits thread in GSD:
Is Ilia going to rest a bit? At this rate, Ari Z will find a way to get Ilia into some tangential event at the Paris Summer Olympics just to get him “into the mood!” Nothing will surprise me…if they build an ice rink on a Bateau Mouche, floating on the Seine!!! 🤣

skatfan

Is Ilia going to rest a bit? At this rate, Ari Z will find a way to get Ilia into some tangential event at the Paris Summer Olympics just to get him “into the mood!” Nothing will surprise me…if they build an ice rink on a Bateau Mouche, floating on the Seine!!! 🤣
He’s got a gap because there’s no US Stars on Ice tour. So actually lighter than it might have been.

Karen-W

You could be right! NBC announced earlier today that Johnny, Tara & Terry will be part of the closing ceremony broadcast crew (not really a surprise since they had those duties for Tokyo).

They need to start hyping Milano-Cortina as soon as the Paris Games are done.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
You could be right! NBC announced earlier today that Johnny, Tara & Terry will be part of the closing ceremony broadcast crew (not really a surprise since they had those duties for Tokyo).

They need to start hyping Milano-Cortina as soon as the Paris Games are done.

NBC will do something to drum-up Ilia & figure skating during the Paris Olympics, especially related to the closing on Aug 11. You just know it! Timing of his appearance in The Ice in Japan only conflicts with the Opening Cerem.
He can jump a Quad from Paris to Milan…

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Really great interview with Ilia with lots of personal/family tidbits done by a Russian media outlet:

Ilia Malinin Daily translated it all on X if your browser translation doesn't work:

Sylvia

TBD
Really great interview with Ilia with lots of personal/family tidbits done by a Russian media outlet:
Thanks! "Lutz everyone!" is Maya Bagriantseva's blog on sports.ru.
:D "I was recently contacted by representatives of the HBO channel, on which the [Succession] show was released, and gave me a year's subscription.

ETA:

Michael Weiss' daughter, Annie Mae, is an anchor/reporter for Fox 5 DC news (didn't know that... eta that she joined the station in December 2023), as well as an In Game Host for the Washington Capitals, and she interviewed Ilia on the ice in Reston yesterday according to all 3 of their Insta stories.

ETA #2:
The schedule on his official website is updated though the Canadian Stars on Ice tour (April 25-May 16): https://iliamalinin4a.com/#schedule
Now listed - Sun Valley on Ice, July 3, 2024 (opening show of the summer series there).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
That TheIliaSociety twitter is incredible. I don't know how she finds and compiles all of his news, including international sources.
The Ilia Society social media account(s) were founded one year ago today (April 17): https://www.instagram.com/p/C52Z-Jus-02/
There currently are 5 members in the team who “are from all over the world” according to their Instagram story Q&A today.

NON-snarky note: They must all be young(ish) skating fans because no one recognized Michael Weiss in the photo they screenshot from his Insta story: https://twitter.com/TheIliaSociety/status/1780424703301284138 (I replied nicely to them :))

Karen-W

The Ilia Society social media account(s) were founded one year ago today (April 17): https://www.instagram.com/p/C52Z-Jus-02/
There currently are 5 members in the team who “are from all over the world” according to their Instagram story Q&A today.

NON-snarky note: They must all be young(ish) skating fans because no one recognized Michael Weiss in the photo they screenshot from his Insta story: https://twitter.com/TheIliaSociety/status/1780424703301284138 (I replied nicely to them :))
To be fair, this non-youngish FS fan didn't immediately recognize Michael Weiss. ;) But the pic of Roman, Ilia, Annie Mae and Michael on the ice that Michael labeled "next gen" was pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information