tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Actually, I haven't made my mind up. I don't have enough information to do so. You, on the other hand....
No, I think everyone makes up their mind to an extent— you included. You have suggested in the past that it would be relatively easy for any/all of these skaters to just up and leave their country and start all over somewhere else, with or without family. You’ve doubled down on it when presented with counter arguments about additional challenges.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I can see how some of the Russian citizens are afraid to say what they really think. But also how they wouldn't be (since some certainly have).

The issue with Valieva that I see is that she has given no indication that she doesn't support Putin and the war and has given plenty that she does. She seems to have bought into the narrative that she is a victim of the West and totally innocent and Mother Russia is her salvation vs. what most of us here think which is that she is a victim of Sambo 70 and Putin is using her.

Honestly, I'm not sure how she would come to a different conclusion unless things were going on at Sambo 70 that she was upset about and she came to not trust them.

We also don't know what many of the ones who never show up to these things really think. Maybe they also support Putin and the war but were told by wise elders in their team that they should show neutrality so that they have careers once Russia is allowed back into international competition. Or maybe they hate rallies. ;)

The only ones we know what they think are the ones who have made (veiled) public comments against the war. Though I am personally willing to assume that the ones who have made public statements in favor of the war are expressing their real beliefs in the absence of any other data. And people looking glum in one picture is not data as we don't know the context and even Putin looks glum and we know he supports himself and his war.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
If they wanted to, because of the positive drug test, they could ban her from any rink with national team members and from coaching or skating in shows. So Valieva, more so than any other Russian skater, is between a rock and a hard place, kind of forever. :(

coppertop1

Here's an idea: Don't judge a teenager for not meeting unrealistic expectations. What do people expect? This is Russia. She was treated like a National Hero and was told by everyone that she was the victim (and she is, but a victim of Russian greed). So, she probably did enjoy but now, the novelty may well have worn out but she's locked in.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So, she probably did enjoy but now, the novelty may well have worn out but she's locked in.
Why would the novelty have worn off?

Again, there is no indication that she doesn't believe that she is a victim of the West and isn't happy being Russia's darling and hero. And why should she? Because we don't think that?

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I can see how some of the Russian citizens are afraid to say what they really think. But also how they wouldn't be (since some certainly have).

The issue with Valieva that I see is that she has given no indication that she doesn't support Putin and the war and has given plenty that she does. She seems to have bought into the narrative that she is a victim of the West and totally innocent and Mother Russia is her salvation vs. what most of us here think which is that she is a victim of Sambo 70 and Putin is using her.

Honestly, I'm not sure how she would come to a different conclusion unless things were going on at Sambo 70 that she was upset about and she came to not trust them.
If she's not upset about them doping, abusing, and exploiting her, I'm not sure what she would be upset about.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
But they're not doping her: that was Grandpa, inadvertently. The other 60 substances found in her blood are legal -- or WADA would have been all over it -- and only making her stronger and were given to her to enable her to do her best. They're not exploiting her: the committee that overrode the RUSADA recommendations were trying to protect her by rejecting them. The country has rallied around her, since the only way that anyone else can compete is by having her removed.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
If she's not upset about them doping, abusing, and exploiting her, I'm not sure what she would be upset about.
She might also have been gaslit so much during the entire ordeal in Beijing and since into believing that somehow, some way, the illegal drugs got into her system via Grandpa's meds.

VGThuy

CAS dismisses ROC’s appeal to overturn their initial ruling suspending Valieva:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
CAS dismisses ROC’s appeal to overturn their initial ruling suspending Valieva:

Uhm, no, this had nothing to do with the Valieva case.

Sylvia

TBD
This particular CAS ruling news was posted by @Firedancer in the "Impact of Russia-Ukraine War on sports worldwide" thread in the Other Sports forum earlier today.

Vincent Zhou continues to speak out - Brown Daily Herald article (Feb. 21):

You can listen to more from Vincent in the latest "This Week in Skating" podcast episode as well:

Firedancer

This particular CAS ruling news was posted by @Firedancer in the "Impact of Russia-Ukraine War on sports worldwide" thread in the Other Sports forum earlier today.

Vincent Zhou continues to speak out - Brown Daily Herald article (Feb. 21):

You can listen to more from Vincent in the latest "This Week in Skating" podcast episode as well:

I love that Vincent continues to speak out for clean sport. I wish more skaters would be more vocal (including outside the US). Right now it doesn’t seem like anything is going to change.

Sylvia

TBD
Should this be a separate news & updates thread in GSD? Or maybe this thread title could be modified to include the continuing saga of the 2022 Olympic Team Event medals & delayed ceremony?

February 26, 2024:

The PDF is copied out below.

MEDIA RELEASE
OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES BEIJING 2022 – FIGURE SKATING
THE COURT OF ARBITRATION FOR SPORT (CAS) REGISTERS FOUR APPEALS AGAINST THE RE-RANKING ANNOUNCED BY THE INTERNATIONAL SKATING UNION (ISU) IN RELATION TO THE FIGURE SKATING TEAM EVENT

Lausanne, 26 February 2024 - The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has registered the following appeals further to the announcement made by the International Skating Union (ISU) on 30 January 2024 by which the final standings for the Team Event in figure skating at the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022 were adjusted following the disqualification of the skater Kamila Valieva, a member of the Russian team:

CAS 2024/A/10354 Madeline Schizas, Piper Gilles, Paul Poirier, Kirsten Moore-Towers, Michael Marinaro, Eric Radford, Vanessa James and Roman Sadovsky, and, Skate Canada, and Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) v. International Skating Union (ISU), and, International Olympic Committee (IOC), and Russian Olympic Committee (ROC), and Figure Skating Federation of Russia, and, Aleksandr Galliamov, Victoria Sinitsina, Anastasia Mishina, Nikita Katsalapov, Kamila Valieva and Mark Kondratiuk

The Canadian Appellants in this appeal seek a ruling from CAS ordering the ISU to re-rank the figure skating Team Event at the 2022 Beijing Olympic Winter Games as follows:
i. United States of America: 67 points;
ii. Japan: 65 points;
iii. Canada: 55 points;
iv. ROC: 54 points;
v. People’s Republic of China: 52 points.

The Appellants further request that medals be awarded by the IOC, as follows:
i. Gold medal: United States of America;
ii. Silver medal: Japan;
iii. Bronze medal: Canada.

CAS 2024/A/10355 Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) v. International Skating Union (ISU)
CAS 2024/A/10360 Figure Skating Federation of Russia v. International Skating Union (ISU

The Appellants in these separate appeals both seek a ruling from CAS ordering the ISU to re-rank the figure skating Team Event at the 2022 Beijing Olympic Winter Games as follows:
(l) ROC - Gold medal;
(2) United States of America - Silver medal;
(3) Japan - Bronze medal.

CAS 2024/A/10356 Aleksandr Galliamov, Nikita Katsalapov, Mark Kondratiuk, Anastasia Mishina, Victoria Sinitsina and Kamila Valieva v. International Skating Union (ISU)

The Appellants in this appeal are the athletes of the ROC figure skating team at the 2022 Beijing Olympic Winter Games who seek a ruling from CAS ordering the ISU to re-rank the figure skating Team Event at the 2022 Beijing Olympic Winter Games with the ROC team in first place and with the gold medal being awarded to the ROC athletes.

All four CAS arbitration procedures have just commenced. Given the early stage of the proceedings, no indication can be given as to when a hearing may take place, if any.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information