Gracie Gold's memoir published February 2024

Former Lurve Goddess

That's fine if the people you're whispering to are fellow skaters who may come into direct contact with the alleged person in similar situations. The whisper network does not include people with anonymous screen names on FSU.
Some FSU posters do interact directly with skaters although we don't know who is who, so prudence is, of course, warranted. When it comes to sharing alleged information privately one has to be extremely cautious. In my real life world (nothing to do with skating), some women have ended up facing lawsuits for sharing true information about certain highly-placed predators.

pixie cut

Some FSU posters do interact directly with skaters although we don't know who is who, so prudence is, of course, warranted. When it comes to sharing alleged information privately one has to be extremely cautious. In my real life world (nothing to do with skating), some women have ended up facing lawsuits for sharing true information about certain highly-placed predators.

Some FSU posters ARE skaters.
Most of those people likely know each or know enough other skaters face to face and don't need to get their information via anonymous screen names.

skatfan

In an attempt to change the subject, I wonder what people thought of Gracie's coach Vincent Restencourt sudden disappearance in Pennsylvania. I was shocked that he just...left town, leaving most of his possessions behind. His wikiwepdia entry ends with this, "He coached American figure skater Gracie Gold. Restencourt no longer coaches figure skating in Aston, PA."

Firedancer

In an attempt to change the subject, I wonder what people thought of Gracie's coach Vincent Restencourt sudden disappearance in Pennsylvania. I was shocked that he just...left town, leaving most of his possessions behind. His wikiwepdia entry ends with this, "He coached American figure skater Gracie Gold. Restencourt no longer coaches figure skating in Aston, PA."

I was wondering about that, as well. It’s so strange the way he just disappeared.

Willin

I remember around the time he was working with Gracie, TSL were spreading rumors about him. Something about an old court case for abuse that happened in France. Not sure what legal action it was and TSL likely exaggerated the truth for the salacious nature, but it made a huge splash and they kept harping on it. Interestingly, despite TSL talking a lot about it and fans looking for it, no one found proof of the court case and there was no one in the US coming out to accuse him of being abusive while coaching in the US. (Personally I think there's some truth, if only because TSL doesn't spread that sort of rumor lightly, but it was likely stretched given both TSL and lack of anything similar being reported)

Of course this soured many fans on him and likely led him to get harrassed on social media. Some fans weren't happy that he was "exploiting" Gracie for views by sharing videos of her trying quads and 3As on/off the harness and saw it as proof of him being an abusive coach that exploits his skaters - especially given Gracie wasn't posting them herself.

I would imagine those rumors also had professional consequences for him. Regardless of the truth of the rumors, skaters and parents (and some coaches/skating directors) watch TSL. They may have pushed him out.

I know he has connections in California and was coaching in Oregon at one point, so I'd bet he's just trying to lay as low as possible and avoid the circus that is TSL hating you. I have seen him coming in to consult for jumps on a visiting basis. Given he's primarily a jump coach he may also be coaching in a context that doesn't land him in the K&C or coaching line for high profile skaters, or he's trying to be a head coach - which he may not be as suited for.

Vagabond

This was discussed upthread. According to Wikipedia, in fact, he moved back to France and coaches there.

SkateFanBerlin

In the middle of the book Gracie talks about the absurdities in skating - having to do these increadible things in a full face of make-up, the costuming more appropriate to beauty pagaents, having to "sparkle" in public no matter what your emotional state is. These things in her opinion can affect a judge`s score. Her bitterness reminds me of "I, Tonya". Harding struggled with all this too.

I can see where young girls use to snowboarding and competative swimming would find skating bizarre. Gold is obviously smart and capable. She or someone like her needs to overhaul the sport if it`s going to survive.

Last edited:

just tuned in

Figure skating and gymnastics are as much entertainment art forms as they are sport. You don't see other sports do "shows" outside of competitions.

Well, other than the Harlem Globetrotters.

We do expect our famous sports figures to be pleasant and engaging in public.

barbk

Figure skating and gymnastics are as much entertainment art forms as they are sport. You don't see other sports do "shows" outside of competitions.

One of the pickleball players at the local rec center is a former Harlem Globetrotter. According to Mr. BarbK, he is super nice and personable, but with a reach that is scary and moves that still show a lot of time spent on the court.

pixie cut

The Harlem Globetrotters are referred to as show basketball. It's a very choreographed game. The players all have skills, but the winner of the game is predetermined...kind of like skating sometimes.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The Harlem Globetrotters are referred to as show basketball. It's a very choreographed game. The players all have skills, but the winner of the game is predetermined...kind of like skating sometimes.

And professional wrestling.

I was thinking about Gracie's comments on "sparkle" and I remember Kristi Yamaguchi's mom saying that a judge or official told her something to the effect of, don't ever let your daughter be seen in public in jeans. This was when Kristi was a tween.

Between that and ex-judge Jon Jackson's comments about judges being expected to wear designer-label clothing and be perfectly put together, if they wanted to get good judging assignments - I sometimes think that the powers that be in the sport would be very happy if the "young ladies" in the sport were wearing circle skirts, pearl necklaces, and little white gloves.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I was thinking about Gracie's comments on "sparkle" and I remember Kristi Yamaguchi's mom saying that a judge or official told her something to the effect of, don't ever let your daughter be seen in public in jeans. This was when Kristi was a tween.
I think things have changed a little since then. Thanks to social media, we now routinely see skaters in pajamas with bedhead. :)

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I sometimes think that the powers that be in the sport would be very happy if the "young ladies" in the sport were wearing circle skirts, pearl necklaces, and little white gloves.
Given how so many of the USFS higher ups are clinging to their roles with grizzled fingers, I agree. At least in Boston, some of them are still stuck on the Tenley Albright ideal. Kitty Carruthers caused a great deal of pearl clutching and Amber has them reaching for their salts.

barbk

Given how so many of the USFS higher ups are clinging to their roles with grizzled fingers, I agree. At least in Boston, some of them are still stuck on the Tenley Albright ideal. Kitty Carruthers caused a great deal of pearl clutching and Amber has them reaching for their salts.
I loved it when women began wearing workout attire during official practices rather than fancy practice costumes. Honestly, many of them looked much better in workout attire than in their performance costumes.

nylynnr

The only reason Amber would send any USFS "higher ups" reaching for their salts is her inconsistency. No one wants Amber to succeed more than USFS.

AYS

🌻
Not to derail the thread too much, but what was Kitty Carruthers up to that has folks pearl-clutching? I haven't heard much about her over the years.

Allskate

I loved it when women began wearing workout attire during official practices rather than fancy practice costumes. Honestly, many of them looked much better in workout attire than in their performance costumes.

The only reason Amber would send any USFS "higher ups" reaching for their salts is her inconsistency. No one wants Amber to succeed more than USFS.
Yeah. At official practices, most of the women, including Amber, are wearing things like black leggings with fairly simple tops -- sometimes what amounts to a crop top or sports bra. It's what you'd often see on a daily basis, including at rinks, yoga classes or gyms. They may not be as faded or casual as some of what you'd see, but they definitely are not fancy dresses and white gloves.

BTW, it was USFS who posted something on their Instagram celebrating the fact that Amber was the first out LGBTQ+ woman to win Nationals.

I think there is plenty to really complaint about, but it's not the particular treatment of Amber or an insistence that the women dress differently in practices.

Debbie S

BTW, it was USFS who posted something on their Instagram celebrating the fact that Amber was the first out LGBTQ+ woman to win Nationals.

I think there is plenty to really complaint about, but it's not the particular treatment of Amber or an insistence that the women dress differently in practices.
Keep in mind that USFS social media is run by paid staff. DEI initiatives and their integration into marketing/comms are coming from the CEO, not the judges. Of course, the CEO needs the buy-in from the volunteer leadership to move forward with the overall goals, but I'm sure most/all of the leadership recognizes the importance in 2023/4 and are officially on board. But they don't direct the day to day and what gets posted on official social channels and I can guarantee there are plenty of high-ups in USFS and clubs that are clutching pearls over many things about current skating culture, out LGBTQ skaters probably one of them (unfortunately).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information