Zumba, anyone?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by WindSpirit, Dec 2, 2010.

1. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Has anyone tried it? Loved it? Hated it?

A friend of mine wanted me to join Curves with her, and I've been thinking about it but then I remembered reading about Zumba. Sounds like fun. I've been just wondering what exactly it does to your body? Help you lose weight/tone it, etc.? If anyone has tried it, please share your experience.

2. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I'm wondering about it too. I'm taking a class called Zumba Fitness next semester and I haven't gotten around to looking it up yet. :lol:

I've heard it's kinda hard.

3. WindSpirit

They have different levels. I think in my town they only have ZumbaGold which is for older people or those who haven't done any physical activity for a long time.

I'd rather do regular Zumba. I may not be in the top shape right now, but I used to dance and I'd rather catch up to a higher level than be stuck at a lower one. Exercising to Latin music sounds great to me.

But it's probably not for everyone. I was telling that friend who wanted me to join Curves with her about Zumba but then realized I completely don't see her doing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glexu90pMxo

Or especially that: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0q6qtThF4 (fun video)

She would probably get mad at me if I talked her into taking a class like that. :lol:

4. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Tried it and loved, loved it.

5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Loved it, loved it, loved it. My concern with Zumba is that it's high impact.

6. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

I've taken the class at my local Y. It helps if you can dance or at least have some sort of physical coordination, but trust me, there are lots of people who have neither but still enjoy the class. In the class I go to, the instructors lead us through several songs based on some sort of rhythm or type of dance, usually latin-based: samba, cha cha, cumbia, salsa, flamenco, etc. We also sometimes do one belly dance number and sometimes a hip-hop song. It's a party atmosphere and lots of fun. It's primarily a cardio workout. There are also Zumba Toning classes, but I haven't tried any of those. It's a good workout, especially because it's so fun it takes your mind off of the fact that you're actually exercising.

7. Stefanie

Stefanie Well-Known Member

Love it! :)

8. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I find it's the only kind of group exercise I can stick with. My inner dancer would much rather go dancing than to a regular cardio class. There are so many levels of fitness in our class that it's become perfectly acceptable to "sit out" an 8 or 16 then jump back in.

BTW, I requested the Wii Zumba for a holiday gift.

9. Aimless

Aimless New Member

Zumba is really fun and fairly challenging, although it can be done in a range from easy to very strenuous. the music is enjoyable and it's a bit more like freestyle dancing than most aerobic classes. The leaders are supposed to give non-verbal cues as to what move is coming next but I find this often means that it takes me a wasted beat to see what she'd doing and follow. The moves aren't quite as precise or prescribed as other classes--you can do more of your own thing. You sweat like crazy and burn calories in a good 50 minutes of non-stop aerobics, with warm up and cool down to start and end. Mostly women, many wearing beaded hip scarves sold by the teachers. I've had 5 Zumba classes with two different teachers.

I'm more familiar with Jazzercise, which is a more complete exercise program. I've been doing it for three years. The music is also enjoyable, more varied than Zumba, the moves are demonstrated very precisely, and the cuing is amplified and verbal so that if the teacher is good, you always know what move is coming next. In Jazzercise you get a fast aerobic session of 35-40 minutes, followed by 20-25 minutes of strength training both standing and on the floor and with weights, including an abdominal workout. Zumba doesn't do as much for abs and arms as Jazzercise.

I like them both, and will probably continue with both. It's very helpful to have variety in an exercise program.

WindSpirit and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Nekatiivi

Nekatiivi Well-Known Member

I have done Zumba classes, and I can tell you that most of the steps are very easy if you have any kind of dance background. I have still enjoyed it thought, it is fun, also because my not so dancerish friend likes it too. It is the only dance class were she agrees to come to. :D

11. mashenka82

mashenka82 New Member

I've been doing zumba for a couple of months and it's a lot of fun! It took me three tries to actually get into it (I truly hated it the first few times), but now I think it's a lot of fun! It's a great workout and really burns a lot of calories and works all areas of your body and you it's a lot of fun which is really important for me, personally, since I tend to get bored! It takes a few classes to get the hang of the steps, but it's fun and it's fun dancing around!

I will say though that it really depends on the instructor too! I've had some really fun and lively instructors who amp the energy and are good about instructions, and then I've had one or two who either don't have the energy themselves to do an hours worth of dance or who don't bother giving any signals about the moves, so it's good to try out a few and find the right instructor for you!

12. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I want to go to a Zumba class so bad but it's hard to find babysitters :(. Maybe I'll try the wii Zumba

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it but the people I know who have love it.

14. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

love it! I started about a year and 1/2 ago and lost 40 lbs in 6 months. The instructor at my gym is awesome, really easy to follow and he is always coming up with new music and moves. Usually in the last 15 minutes we finish with hip hop or showtunes.

IceAlisa, I don't find it high impact at all, I had problems with my knees before I started and this was one of the few classes that didn't bother my knees at all. The best part of taking this class is nobody is judging your abilities, just get out there and do it!

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Perhaps classes vary. Where I did it, there was a lot of jumping and pounding on knees and hips involved. I am not as much worried about my knees longterm (my knees are fine) but rather the subcutaneous fat pads sliding down my face resulting in the face losing volume prematurely. Of course, this isn't exactly an important factor, let alone a deal breaker for a lot of people though.

One thing's for sure--this is the most fun cardio I've ever done and I hate cardio but love to dance. :)

This is sort of what it was like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0q6qtThF4

16. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

I have started a Zumba class at a local dance studio. It's fun and there is a routine that they use, which looks nothing like the links posted here. It's done mostly to music such as Alejandro by Lady Gaga, Latin beats. I have yet to break a sweat because I'm still trying to keep up with the dance steps.

It helps when you start to stand in the back so you can follow the footwork of the people in front of you. I don;t have any dance experience I have learned that if I count the steps, it gets a lot easier, like 1, 2, 3 and 1, 2, 3. If you look at the posted links you can see that counting makes it easier to follow along.

I just bought a pass for $75 which includes 10 visits at about 50 minutes per visit. I figure it beats sitting on my butt on the couch watching reality shows. Plus I started using my treadmill, handweights, and exercise bike to try to keep the weight down that's starting to creep up on me.

I hear that spinning classes are a lot of fun, I may do that once I'm in better shape.

Most studios will allow you to try the first class for free to see if you like it and want to commit.

17. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I've done it twice now and I love it. After the first class, I could barely move. It was awesome.

Sometimes the instructor makes the steps too complicated (for me), but I just improvise and keep moving, so it's all good. :)

18. Bev Johnston

Bev Johnston Well-Known Member

You don't have to wait!! Spinning is very individualized and you can make your workout as hard or easy as you want and no one knows as long as your feet keep moving! :)

I also wanted to mention that they make special Zumba shoes, but really all you need is a shoe with a pivot point on the bottom. I've tried various types of shoes, and I find that my cross-trainers provide great support and cushioning, but are a little too sticky for Zumba.

19. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

Any dance shoe will do. Capezio makes a great dance sneaker that you can usually get for under $30 at Zappo's

20. twinsmom

twinsmom Member

I have done it once, and wanted to do it when I first heard about it. I love to dance and just need a really good workout, and this definitely fits the bill. I hope to start soon. And thanks to those who have said there is a WII zumba, I'll have to look into that :)

21. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

I just booked a four month Zumba program for the patrons @ my library gig for early 2011.

We're implementing a "Healthy 2011" initiative. :)

22. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I love it! My YMCA offers Zumba fitness and toning. I prefer the fitness. Ditto to it being the only group class (except yoga) that I enjoy! We have al levels; our instructor welcomes all.

23. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

Wait, are you serious? Are you saying vertical pounding can cause jowls?

24. WindSpirit

I've read about it, too. Jogging and other exercise will help things migrate south a little earlier than they would on their own. I guess that would be faster if someone's older and things are not as... springy as they used to be. ;)

Btw, I'm loving this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing their experience. :respec:

25. skatemomaz

skatemomaz 4 More Years

I wear these Capezio shoes. I highly recommend this type of shoe, they really allow you to move properly and don't stick to the floor. This shoe like most dance shoes runs small, I ordered 1/2 size larger.

26. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I was looking for Zumba last night on youtube, and I'd like to take some classes eventually. But while I was looking I thought "I could just dance around my apartment and burn calories too" so I picked up some light arm weights, and danced around for 20 min to various youtube songs I love. *shrug*

27. Marge_Simpson

Marge_Simpson Well-Known Member

I am not a "group class" sort of person and generally prefer to work out at home. (The class starts when I turn on the DVD player and I can exercise in my underwear if I want to. :lol:(
    The hospital where I work started offering Zumba classes at $30 for 6 sessions. I was born without a coordination gene so I figured I'd get kicked out, but what the hell, I'd check it out.
    I was able to keep up with with the choreography and am now addicted. :lol:

28. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Our instructor is barely 5' tall; 53 years old and about 100lbs. She can get the strings on the back pockets of her officially licensed Zumba cargo pants to spin in circles like an old time stripper can make pasties twirl about! (I don't think she knows and I'm too embarassed to admit I'm watching her butt). Needless to say; nobody is judging or watching anyone else and we can't take our eyes off her crazy salsa steps and the show that is her dance moves/burlesque!:p

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

What WS said. What I mean is fat and collagen are what makes the face look plump and young. Ever notice how faces look drawn and aged when someone suddenly loses weight?

So prolonged consistent jumping, running and other forms of high impact exercise could force the fat pads in the face migrate south causing premature loss of volume. Technically, lost volume can be replaced by fillers but why speed things up?

30. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

Aw hell, I was happy about losing 20 lbs until I read this, lol. You just know I'm going to be staring and analyzing my face whenever I pass a mirror now.