Ziggy

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by SHARPIE, Aug 18, 2014.

1. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Hi, it's come to our attention that poster Ziggy has passed away. No further information than that I am sorry. The information was posted on his facebook page :(

Z przykrością informuję, że mój brat Tomek, właściciel tego konta, nie żyje.
    Pogrzeb odbędzie się we czwartek, 21 sierpnia, o godzinie 15 na Cmentarzu Grabiszyńskim we Wrocławiu.
    Uroczystość rozpocznie się od mszy w kaplicy cmentarnej. Przepraszam za nietypową formę
    tego ogłoszenia, ale mieliśmy kłopot z uzyskaniem kontaktów do wielu znajomych Tomka. Facebook może
    pomóc z dotarciem do możliwie najszerszego grona. Michał Zygmunt / I'm sorry to inform you that my brother Tomek,
    the owner of this account, has passed away. The funeral will be held on Thursday, 21st August, 3pm, on
    Grabiszyński Cemetery in Wrocław. The ceremony will begin with a memorial service in the cemetary chapel.
    I apologize for the way I announce this, but we had trouble contacting many of Tomek's friends.
    Facebook may help to inform as many people, as possible. Michał Zygmunt

2. MissJD

MissJD Active Member

:( So sorry to hear that. May he rest in peace and condolences to his family.

Jasmar likes this.
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I am stunned, and saddened beyond words. Ziggy was such an important part of this board! I am going to miss him. RIP Ziggy. Condolences to his family.

P.S. When I saw the title of this thread, and saw that Sharpie had started it, I already had a bad feeling before opening it.

Sharpie, thanks for posting this sad news.

4. algonquin

algonquin Well-Known Member

Oh wow, it won't be the same here without Ziggy. My Condolences to his family and friends.

5. Vash01

As a side note, last year I visited Wroclaw, where Ziggy lived. He gave me some very useful information about the city, which helped me make my plans. I asked him through PM if we could meet for coffee, but he was abroad at the time, so it was not possible. Now I will never meet him in person. :(

6. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Add me to those stunned to hear this sad news
    He added so much to this community!

7. SHARPIE

I met him in a gay bar in London in 2010 after we'd been battling it out on the UK General Election thread earlier that year. He was nothing like his spiky online persona and was a good laugh and very charming :)

ioana, museksk8r, uyeahu and 5 others like this.
  8. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

WTF? How awful. He will be so missed.

Jasmar likes this.
  9. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I am so sad at this news.

Ziggy may have posted many things I disagreed with, but he was always passionate, funny, well spoken. For a period of time on 2009-2011 or so we talked quite a bit on Facebook about skating, life, social justice. He really was great guy.

Snark on forever Ziggy.

10. ilovesalchows

ilovesalchows Well-Known Member

Rest in Peace, Ziggy. I have been enjoying your insightful posts for over 10 years.

11. her grace

her grace Well-Known Member

Very sad to learn of his passing. I will miss his passionate opinions about figure skating. Rest in peace.

12. shah

shah Shhh...

I've just found the only photo of us two together, taken during a quick lunch when I was in Wrocław (his hometown) for a day. He overslept, came late and was his usual drama queen self - I was really amused... And now I realise that I will not have another chance to discuss with him how much we both hate Speedy, how certain skaters are overmarked etc.
    Goodbye, Ziggy - I will miss you and your flamboyance...

Karina1974, sk8indel, Rpg and 13 others like this.
  13. SHARPIE

Thanks @oleada who saw the news on facebook and posted in Sekret Sources.

alchemy void likes this.
  14. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear this . . . I always enjoyed reading his posts very much. I will miss him. :-(

15. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Oh no! :( He will be missed.

16. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

My condolences to his family and friends. I will also miss reading his posts.

17. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I will miss his well-thought-out commentary so much! This is so sad.

18. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Very sad news...he'll be missed.

19. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Well-Known Member

VERY saddened to hear this. I remember getting to know him a bit several years ago. :(

20. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

What terrible news; how sad to lose one of the board's most vibrant, decent, and colourful members.

RIP Ziggy.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

22. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

That is a shocker. He was quite young wasn't he? He certainly was a presence on this board. He will definitely be missed!

23. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

His posts will be missed on earth. Up there they will be welcomed

Meredith, SHARPIE and clairecloutier like this.
  24. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Rest In Peace Ziggy.

25. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

THIS. I recall quite a few spirited debates we had in PMs here or on Facebook, about a variety of subjects that we both agreed and disagreed on, and I always respected and appreciated that I was being challenged by a very bright and yes, passionate mind. Although I never got to meet him in "real life", I valued his contribution to my life, and will miss his snark, brains and wit. Sometimes it is the brightest stars that burn out far too soon. :(

26. SHARPIE

He would have been 31 on Friday. I know his birthday off the top of my head cos it was the anniversary of my mother's death.

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I met Ziggy in 2007 at Warsaw Euros, and he was a mensh.

28. Vash01

It seems his birthday is/was same as my brother's - August 22nd. I will send some love to Ziggy also on that day.

museksk8r, lala, sadya and 1 other person like this.
  29. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

When I went to Wroclaw he was waiting for me at the bus terminal and greeted me with a tremendous and warm hug. We went for dinner at a pierogi restaurant, since he was a vegetarian he ordered mushroom whereas I ordered a meat variety. When they arrived he took a bite and very calmly said "I think the waitress mixed up our plates." I was like OMG, I'm so sorry that you stuck that meat in your mouth and he said "No, it's ok, it actually tasted kind of good but you can have them now." :lol:

We also went to a mall and we stopped at a juice bar and he ordered a beet juice. I said "Ziglet, wait till I tell FSU that you took me to a haven of capitalism so you could drink a giant glass of blood."

I'm still hoping his FB account was hacked. :(

Amantide, skateboy, bardtoob and 8 others like this.
  30. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I first saw the Twitter post. I can't believe it. :( RIP Ziggy.