Zhangs from China; what are they doing?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Octoberopals, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Octoberopals

Octoberopals Well-Known Member

I don't remember seeing them for the last 2 years. Have they quit skating?

2. burntBREAD

burntBREAD Active Member

The male Zhang has an injury, I forget what, but they're out for now, may come back for Worlds.

They were here last year! They went to the Olympics and finished like 5th, haha! :lol:

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

4. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

does anyone have a current status of the zhangs?
    i´m so looking forward to see their new programs, love the music choices.
    sad, they are ot in the entries for the 4cc.

hope they will gain back their strength, although it was never lost, let´s say, hope, they will gain back the judges attention.
    gorgeous programs last year (not the first sp), don´t know, where their pcs went :(

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

If they arent able to compete this season I hope they use the programs they were planning to use this season next season instead. It would be a shame to miss out on seeing them.

As for the judges respect with Shen & Zhou retired and Pang & Tong seemingly aging downwards in abilities this season they have a perfect opportunity to reclaim Chinese #1 status. I dont think Sui & Han are that good frankly, and I think the Zhangs can easily hold them off. The problem is with the Germans going strong again and the Russians building back up in a big way I am not sure how big a factor any of the Chinese pairs will be in the coming 3 years. I think the Zhangs are their biggest potential hope for 2014 though, not Pang & Tong or Sui & Han.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I thought they were politically dumped. I cant see any other rational explanation for such a huge dropoff in scores when they actually improved.

7. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Well, if you're saying that it must mean that they are really good. :cheer2:

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Jeschke

someone has any news about dan&hao?

they are not on the worlds team but listed at yu-na kims show in korea?
    what ****** is that?:mad:

9. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I don't see how getting 5th in the Olympics and Worlds last year is anything to sneeze at; I'm sure plenty of teams would have liked those placements and in 09 they were 2nd in the world, not too shabby.

10. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I don't think they were politically dumped. I think they were overscored for a few years (ex. silver at 2006 Olympics), and then got the scores they rightfully deserved.

11. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

Maybe they are not healed enough to do certain elements. e.g. he can lift but can't jump

12. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Since he had a broken finger it's probably the other way around :p

To answer Jeschke's question, I imagine his finger is healed enough now for him to do an exhibition number, but they haven't been able to compete all season, probably didn't even have programs (I can't remember but I think the injury occurred way back during the summer), due to his injury. Why so angry?

13. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I agree. Just because they don't place 2nd every competition doesn't mean that they have been "dumped". The strength of the field often has a lot to do with results, and there was no denying that the strong return of Shen/Zhao,the rise of a team like Mukhortova/Trankov, the solid programs of Pang/Tong, etc., made it more difficult for Zhang/Zhang to medal at major events. Aside from their weaknesses, Z/Z also struggling a bit with consistency last season, had to scrap their SP, etc. There is no shame at all in finishing top 5 at the Olympics. With K/S bombing the LP there, however, the Zhangs should have at least beat them, but that's a whole other story.

I imagine we'll see the Zhangs in competition next season? Then again, I didn't think they'd miss this entire season over a broken finger, so who knows what is up with them and how severe that injury was.

14. Jeschke

I imagine we'll see the Zhangs in competition next season? Then again, I didn't think they'd miss this entire season over a broken finger, so who knows what is up with them and how severe that injury was.[/QUOTE]

i really hope so!
    I´m not angry, I just can´t wait to see them again. They have improved so much since 2006 (I really not liked them back then), but now they´re a gorgeous couple, hope they can rock again.

15. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I wish the Fed would just let them retire. She in particular has seemed absolutely miserable and disinterested out there the last few years.

16. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I have a feeling that P/T will retire after Worlds, and the Chinese Fed may ask Z/Z to compete next season along with S/H to keep 3 Chinese spots going forward, giving more time to other Chinese teams to grow and fill in the gap

17. xy3026rosa

xy3026rosa New Member

PT want to have a rest after Worlds. But maybe they still need to skate...:(
    About the Korea's show,I saw a news yesterday.PT said they wouldn't go to Korea's show because of Worlds.About Z/Z, they are traing now,ZhangHao feel better than before.:p I think they need more time practise their program.
    Here is ZhangDan's blog,if you can understand Chinese.They are training everyday~
    http://t.sina.com.cn/1823980351

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  18. zizi

zizi New Member

Yuna do not invite P/T to her show! It is after show's list having comfirmed that the Worlds is rescheduled!
    Good luck to Z/Z!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  19. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Their coach Yao Bin told me at the Four Continents Championships that they are training, but he has less strength in the hand that was injured (don't remember which one it was, probably the right hand) and they couldn't practice the pair elements enough. They were not ready for competing this season.

20. Jeschke

nice to hear, that we will se them ever again.
    dan zhang ist just gorgeous und a brilliant pair skater.

21. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

They didn't improve and they had awful programs which they skated like lifeless zombies.

22. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

(Hi Ziggy!)

They had next to no chemistry or oneness when they skated together. No amount of amazing throws and twists could compensate for that.

It puzzles me that the Chinese Fed hired NA choreographers for S&Z and P&T to improve their styles and programs but somehow the Zhangs always sucked in those departments and the Chinese Fed didn't do much about it.

23. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

S/Z and P/T improved a hell of a lot as far as chemistry goes after working with NA choreographers.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Zoueva choroegraph Z/Z's programs in the Olympic season? It didn't help. :p

24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

They used Zoueva and Nichol (your favorite :p) before but didn't help.

Their drop in standings probably means the judges gave up on them after seeing them failing to improve, or that they know that the Zhangs have peaked with their lucky silver in Torino, a couple of world silvers, and a bunch of 4CCs, Jr Worlds and GP golds and can't bear to give them a world gold like they didn't for Bonaly. Or, perhaps the other teams were just better. :p

25. Jeschke

they have improved so much. take a look at their really lucky olympic silver medal ´06 and their olympic free skate ´10. there are worlds between. their skating is so much softer and with more emotions (surely, other have more), but it wa sobviously that tha Zhangs were just dumped by the return of Shen/Zhao. Before they were the only couple to get near or could beat Savchenko/Szolkowy. Their short programm by zoueva did the rest. This was absolutely awful and doesn´t fit them in any way and crash boom bang they were down to nowhere. pang/tong were just lucky at olympics with no downgrades and a really good programm, they just live from that bonus, but they will have no chance against savchenko/szolkowy, if they don´t mae big mistakes. i hope the zhangs will rock the ice again, i really love that couple now, although i almost hated them 4,5 years ago.