Zenyatta officially Retired

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by skipaway, Nov 18, 2010.

1. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

:lol::lol: Yay and congrats to both "ladies!" And the proud dads-to-be, LOL!

The Rachel-Zenyatta rivalry continues....:lol:

2. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

YAY!!

Here's to everything going smoothly for both Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra. :)

3. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Unfortunately, Zenyatta slipped her pregnancy and is no longer in foal (fairly normal for mares.). No word that I've seen yet whether it's too late to try again (for those unfamiliar, all Northern Hemisphere TBs have their birthdays on January 1st, so the goal is to breed for a February or March foal date whenever possible so they're close to being their "real" age. For example, my boy was foaled on February 12, 2002, but he officially turned nine on January 1, 2011.) An early April breeding would be, ideally, a March foal next year.

4. sk8pics

Yeah, I was sorry to read this. We'll see if they'll try again this year. Zenyatta herself was born on April 1, but who knows.

5. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

:fragile: Sorry Zen
    Drf.com is reporting she'll be re-bred to Bernardini next week.

6. danceronice

Sounds like they'll try her next cycle--they have until June 1 (and then they'd have to wait until next year.)

Personally, though it's always a risk, my inclination is to shoot for as close to January as possible, especially with a dam who was a late-maturing horse, but then I'm all about the three-year-old classics. But a resorbtion/loss isn't unusual for a maiden mare so hopefully this is just normal and she takes next time.

I just hope she doesn't wind up like Genuine Risk--only two live foals, neither of which could run for crap, and the attempted cross with Secretariat ended with a stillbirth. But it's way too early to worry about that yet.

7. AragornElessar

Sorry to hear about this and fingers crossed for the next time.

Any word on how Rachel Alexandra's doing?

8. danceronice

No news is good news, one assumes. Gestation's eleven months, so hopefully we won't hear much of anything until next year!

(I have to wonder, given their popularity or at least Zenyatta's staggering degree thereof, if one or both will get put on MareStare! Though that can backfire-any viewers who were watching MareStare early this week got to see my friend Laurie performing CPR on a foal for something like seven minutes. Thank God, dam and baby are okay but that was not a fun video.)

9. AragornElessar

I can imagine it was not. Glad to hear everything turned out okay.

10. sk8pics

60 Minutes is doing an update on Zenyatta this Sunday, May 1. There's a short preview on the 60 Minutes website, including footage of her galloping w/the helmut-cam and her 2009 Breeders' Cup classic win.

11. sk8pics

Zenyatta is confirmed in foal. Passed her 60 day check. When I was at Darley in early April they told me she'd been bred back to Bernadini. Glad to see it is going better this time.

12. AragornElessar

Wonderful news and here's to everything keeping on going well this time too. :)

13. sk8pics

Yes, me, too. And there's another on-line auction for a visit by up to 6 people with Zenyatta. I think the auction is June 18. Anyone want to go in on it with me? :saint::saint:

14. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

And now her little sister Eblouissante has won her maiden race at Hollywood Park today. She's a big, beautiful, dark Bay almost black horse who raced like Zenyatta from last to first. Here's hoping for a healthy, stellar career for Ebby.
    Very emotional win for John Sheriffs, who also trained Zenyatta.

Eblouissante Wins First Out

15. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Beautiful race, gorgeous horse.

16. sk8pics

Great race, she looked so much like Z! Brought tears to my eyes, and I had to laugh at the announcer. You could tell he was just waiting to use some of the same lines he used for Zenyatta. "She's suddenly three in front!". I think Ebby will wite her own script, and I hope it is a long and happy one.

17. AragornElessar

Wow...Just like Big Sis, she came from behind to take it. What a race and what a lovely lady too. She's going to be fun to watch this coming year. :D

And Yay for Zenyatta being in foal again and everything going so well so far!!!

18. sk8pics

Win number two for little sis Ebby yesterday.:encore::encore: She is still so beautiful and looking more like Z every day. They said she was looking around a lot yesterday before the race, taking everything in. Just like Z.:cool:

19. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

But does she dance?

20. sk8pics

I read somewhere that she was starting to prance a bit in the paddock area or maybe the post parade, but I haven't seen it for myself. That would be too funny if she started doing the same thing that Z used to do!

21. AragornElessar

That it would. :D