Zawadzki Makes Coaching Change

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by letsskate, Jun 3, 2011.

1. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

That's what I was thinking. I don't see anything wrong here...

2. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I could not have said it better. The USFSA keeps operating like it still has the kind of influence over world judging that it once had.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Zawadzki has had only ONE season as a senior, and she was in the hunt. So it's too soon to even begin to say she has peaked.

Contrast to someone like Zhang, who has been doing senior since 2007, and who has already seen moderate success (GPF qualification, 4CC medal), but is sinking by the moment, bottoming out of the top 10 at nationals. Peaked? I'd say so.

4. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

No, Agnes is not in a ditch, but one might say she is in a rut, which hopefully she can get out of, but I hardly see this so-called coaching change as the answer.

5. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I don't know if Agnes is in a rut. I think she did make some noticeable improvements last season. I just think she was packaged completely incorrectly, and Tom Z. doesn't appear to be good at packaging skaters to make them look their best.

6. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Agreed, that short program dress was from heck. Curtain call would have been better.

7. Jarrett

Jarrett Well-Known Member

Say what you will say about the dress, and the hairstyle during the SP but I actually really enjoyed the program.

8. apollo13

apollo13 Member

Rut? fourth at Seniors after winning Juniors the year before... in what planet would you call that a "rut"?

9. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Maybe the "rut" was her inability to pull off a strong freeskate for much of last year.

10. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Actually I did too. But I really don't think it suits her.

I'd like to see her try something classical. We haven't seen that side of her yet.

11. Triple Butz

Triple Butz Well-Known Member

:confused: Her last LP was definitely classical. Sarasate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xir-5oAWxXE

12. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I mean classical in a different sense than Sarasate's Zigeunerweisen. Maybe something more balletic that could put more emphasis on line, extension, and posture. Swan Lake, The Nutcracker, etc.

13. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

I don't think I'd like Agnes skating to twinkly, balletic warhorses. Her jumps are so powerful; I feel she could pull off something dramatic and still emphasize her line, extension, etc. Maybe Night on the Bald Mountain?

14. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Fingers crossed that this move pays off for AZ! :cheer: Agnes has huge potential.

:lol: Bless your heart, you may be the only one here concerned about saving Mroz

15. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I look at Agnes as a more talented Rachael Flatt who has many of the same weaknesses such as speed and basic skating skills. Having said that i feel she has more to offer then Rachael with perhaps more personality on the ice. I think she has a chance to be a champion.

16. isamelia

isamelia Member

Is it clear if Agnes is moving back to Chicago to work with Santee and commuting to Colorado to work with Krall for periods of time or possibly for the summer? Or is she staying in Colorado full time, with Santee overseeing her progress and going to competitions with her?

17. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

The ballets I mentioned are hardly tinkly! Parts of Swan Lake and The Nutcracker are quite dynamic and quick.

18. Rhianna

Rhianna ...Her?

Wrong!!! Granted, it is only the two of us, I'm sure.

Beefcake likes this.
  19. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

It's not clear yet (at least not clear to me based on the wording of the USFS press release).

20. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you are here for me.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

New information in this Chicago area article published today (Zawadzki was interviewed by phone): http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110613/news/706139908/
    Excerpts:

22. olifaunt

olifaunt New Member

Huh. In that article she says she hasn't been motivated for a while, and yet she's been putting out medal-winning performances. Can't wait to see what she does when she's in love with the sport again. :)

23. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

It could just be a kind way of saying she didn't like working with Tom anymore. ;)

24. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yes, Night on Bald Mountain would be a great choice, I think!!

25. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

At least this explains the coaching arrangement a little more than the original announcement. Hope it works out for Agnes and that she has a good season.

26. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Hmmm. It sounds like Christy Krall will be working with Agnes day-to-day, which I like to hear. She's really helped out Patrick.

27. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Yay! I'm excited to watch her develop. Her jumps are already sublime but you could tell the packaging under Tom Z. was not heading in a good direction. I admittedly breathed a sigh of relief upon hearing about the change. Hope Agnes :kickass: next season!