Zawadzki Makes Coaching Change

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by letsskate, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I hope Agnes is happy, wherever she is. Seems to me that the best outcomes arise when happy skaters are with competent coaches.

2. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I have to say that i am not always on the you should change coaches bandwagon. This case though may be a wise decision. One thing for sure is that i like Agnes. She is a terrific performer! Her interpretation of the music;she gets it. She seems like she completely understands that it’s completely necessary to interpret the music and execute the elements. She picks great music and has a lot of power in the jumps. I like that she is not the stereotypical elegance but more of a sporty elegance. Packaged correctly and she will be tough to beat. Cant wait to see…

3. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

:cheer: Only the "Kween" is worthy of a mention in every thread!!! :cheer:

But Chan's allowed in every other thread. :swoon:

Relevent or not. :D

4. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Thanks Sylvia. :)

As someone who skates at the Oakton Ice Arena pretty regularly (or used to until I became massively pregnant) I have a lot of familiarity with Santee's coaching style. He is VERY laid back in approach, and very much keeps it positive (as does his brother Jimmie). And he is all about fostering community within his rink, and he doesn't put up with bad behavior on the ice. He's well-loved by his students and beyond for good reason, and frankly i was always puzzled too why Agnes left in the first place considering that when I spoke with her a few months back she was saying how much she missed being in Chicago with her old friends and coach.

Now having said that . . . and remember I'm a huge fan of Santee and the Oakton rink on many levels . . . I'll be interested to see how this works out. Oakton doesn't produce a lot of Regional/Sectional/National competitors regularly, because while I think the coaching is high quality and strong, it's consistently just a hair shy of spectacular. Which is not to say that it couldn't evolve: keep in mind it's where Santee himself trained, and he certainly didn't do too badly in his amatuer days. :) It's also one of the two rinks where Oleg Vassiliev would being his students when in Chicago, and the staff of coaches there are all very very dedicated to their students and are always working to make themselves better coaches.

(I wish they played better music during the sessions though. :shuffle:)

5. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Not that Agnes' fate will be that of other skaters who left Tom, but I can't think of one skater who has who improved their competitive record . Look at Abbott, a steady decline till he didn't even make the world team this year. Also if Santee coached her for seven years and Tom only three seasons, isn't Santee at least partially responsible for a significant percentage of the shortcomings of her skating?

6. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

YES. :cheer2:

7. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Brain fart...where did Alexe go?

8. OrioleBeagle

OrioleBeagle Active Member

Yuka Sato and Jason Dunjeon near Detroit.

9. madm

madm Active Member

Alexe is in Detroit working with Yuko and Jason.

10. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Alexe is a talented girl. If she could ever get back into this condition, she could be a force. Hopefully Sato and Dungjen can take her there.

11. tlk

tlk Active Member

:D:D:D

12. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Man, I've basically given up on Gilles at this point. She's had so many chances. It just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

13. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Uh, your theory doesn't make sense to me. Abbott achieved arguably the best skates of his entire career under the tutelage of Sato and Dungjen at the 2010 US Nationals. He also achieved his best Worlds result, 5th, under Yuka and Jason. He was 11th at Worlds twice under Tom. Tom lead him to 1 Grand Prix victory (2008 Cup of China) as did Yuka and Jason (2009 Skate Canada). Both camps lead him to a senior National title; again, the most memorable being with Yuka and Jason. Are you making your conclusion based on the fact that Abbott had his international career highlight victory under Tom's wing (at the 2008-2009 Grand Prix Final)? That was ONE competition. I've only seen improvement in Jeremy since he joined forces with Yuka and Jason. So he had (for him) a disappointing season in the last year largely due to boot problems; it doesn't have to be the end of the world for his skating career.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  14. jjane45

jjane45 Active Member

I went to Oakton Ice Arena's website hoping to find out more about the group classes Santee teaches. There is a story about Santee's dedication and expertise, generally a nice read except on the first page it had: "...His student glides back to the boards conspicuously, wondering about what this man is going to tell her about the single axel she just executed. The sarcastic yet distinguished man interjects "Hey sausage, good job! You really made it to the target that time. Let's move on to a single salchow." As he utters this instruction to progress further, the football whizzes from his hand in a perfect spiral toward his student. She catches it, accompanied with a touch down celebration dance, and bounds back to the center of the ice to continue her lesson..." Um?

15. centerpt1

centerpt1 Active Member

Totally agree, 2010 Nationals was his best.

(Not to mention his show skating has improved even more dramatically under Y & J. )

2010-2011 was not a great season for him, but he still medaled at all his international events.

Maybe he's just nearing the end of his career...or not. I guess we'll see.

Happy Agnes has left Tom. Just wish she'd been one of the girls going to Y & J- I think she has more potential than Alexe and Becky. Though I do wish Alexe and Becky well.

16. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

Pleasantly surprised. To think a while ago, I was wondering how Tom Z was able to maintain his students' loyalty, especially when skaters, like Alexe (before she left) , were rapidly declining in ranks.

17. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I agree, Jeremy has been doing more than fine, and even if his results hadn't been good, that doesn't mean he definitely would have fared better had he stayed with Tom. Jeremy has been happy with Yuka and Jason, and that's all that really matters. I think sometimes fans expect these coaches to be miracle workers and blame/credit them for too much sometimes.

18. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Look, I like Y/J and I think they've done a great job with Alissa. But why must everyone act as though they are miracle workers? She's only been back "on" for one season.

19. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Pardon the dumb question, but will she be training @ the same rink as before? Won't that be awkward?

20. The Fly On The Wall

The Fly On The Wall Active Member

Not a dumb question in my eyes...I wondered the same thing.

21. rhumba

rhumba New Member

Is Brandon Mroz still with Tom Z?

22. ali_dorate

ali_dorate Active Member

Joshua Farris also changed coach from Zarkajsek to Christy Krall.
    I think he will be training at the same rink too.

23. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Wow, Tom Z's income must be taking quite a hit this year. That is a lot of elite skaters to lose.

24. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I personally think that this should be a huge sign to him-the formula isn't working.

25. maureenfarone

maureenfarone Well-Known Member

I wonder what Brandon Mroz is doing this year. It could be he is moving on to college after his disappointment at Nationals. If he continues skating, he also needs a coaching change IMO.

26. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Info on Mroz's SP music, program choreographed by Jeff Buttle: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3200478&postcount=109

Thanks for the info on the Oakton rink! The USFS press release mentioned her "day-to-day training [with Christy Krall]... in Colorado Springs" so I am wondering how much time Zawadzki will be spending in Chicago with David Santee. She's done with high school for the year, so I assume she will be in Chicago for part of the time this summer.

ETA: The press release mentions that David Santee was her coach when she won the 2007 U.S. Intermediate silver medal but doesn't mention that he also coached her to the Novice 4th place (pewter) medal at 2008 Nationals in St. Paul.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  27. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think your guess about Santee being a travel coach for her competitions is about right. He'll probably consult on training plans & programs, and watch lots of video, but you can't really be coached by someone who's several states away!

28. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

29. ProgramerUSFS

ProgramerUSFS Member

I personally think that you have some events here that we can read into. First you have a skater who is really pushed cash wise to continue the training that has been going on. Then you have a coach who recently has been in the spot light for not doing what is correct for the kids he trains. Skaters have bailed and she is left. I think it was a time to re-evaluate what they were doing with their money and maybe thought Tom was the best, and the financial pain was worth it before, but not with everyone leaving and his image tarnished. Plus I think the romance of Tom being a great coach has worn completely off.

I think that Agnes has peeked as well, and this event with Tom and having coaches remotely is the kiss of death. She was already having issues with growth which have affected her jumps. What really pisses me off the most is that the US has promoted Toms skaters and most recently even Agnes in the press as being the one for the US at worlds. For god sake, let the skaters and their performances dictate who is promoted. Because the world judges don't care what politics is happening here in the US.

You can agree with me or not, but we all know that funny business has been happening and this is what happens when people meddle. To me, she might not have even gone to Tom if the politics and promotion engine wasn't happening. A great skater who had wonderful potential for the future, ends up like this. Sad !

30. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

:confused: Is Agnes laid up in some ditch somewhere and we don't know about it?

For someone who sounds so big on letting performances dictate the press, it's somewhat surprising that you don't take your own advice and let Agnes prove herself before you call her peaked and done. She just won the pewter medal at US Nationals and placed 3rd behind the heavy hitting Russian girls at Jr. Worlds. I'd say she did very well for herself this season, and I'll withhold the postmortem until she actually gives cause for it. JMO

LadyNit, Garden Kitty, Sparks and 5 others like this.