Yuzuru Hanyu to be coached by Brian Orser

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Splitting this news off from the Japanese skating thread...
    Via Google Translate:
    "Hanyu had received guidance to the coach and Nanami Abe so far. That describes the reason for the change that the coach is "a challenge out overseas, want to raise the level more..."
    Another Japanese news article: http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/winter/skate/figure/headlines/20120425-00000044-kyodo_sp-spo.html

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
    ks1227 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

He seemed to have a good relationhip with Nanami Abe, but I can also see how training alongisde other top skaters could be a good motivational tool. Orser would be great when it comes to polishing him off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8MNx9QmR8A#t=10m45s.

Thanks for starting a new thread, Sylvia!

3. aemeraldrainc

aemeraldrainc Active Member

I can't help but feel that his now-former coach Nanami Abe is probably feeling devastated right now. Especially when she said she hopes to "have a good time from now on" with him(or something like that) from the YouTube video(thanks for that, btw)
    I feel sad for her.

4. martyross

martyross Active Member

as a Yuna uber, i hoped that the thread title was a remake of the April's fool :( oh well, good luck to prince Yuzu and let's hope the new coaching situation works well for him.

5. carriemarie

carriemarie New Member

What is this trend of leaving a coach as a skater reaches a pinnacle? In most jobs, if you produce quality, you get a raise - not fired!

This team always seemed to get along so well-:confused:

6. QB

QB New Member

I had to smile at you young'uns who weren't around when every promising/almost champion skater 'had' to go to Carlo Fassi to finally reach the pinnacle. :rolleyes:

7. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

This is very surprising. He has had a lot of succes with his coach. Is ice time an issue or something?

8. t.mann

t.mann New Member

a little shocking..

9. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I'm shocked. He had such a wondeful season and such a close relationship with his coach.

10. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

Seriously? Orser? :wuzrobbed I am in 10,000 depressions over the thought of Hanyu sporting high-waisted pants and suspenders next year. :fragile:

I thought Naname Abe was doing an outstanding job with him, so I'm pretty stunned by this news. Well, I hope at the very least that he will continue to collaborate with his prior choreographers but realistically we're probably now going to get :yawn: boring programs. :(

WTF? :huh: What in the world does this have to do with the topic at hand?

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  11. martyross

martyross Active Member

and who are you to approach me in such a manner?

12. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Don't get offended. You did bring up something definitely out of context.

13. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Do you mean that for Yuna uber, Brian Orser is eville by default? :lol: Love it.

14. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Heading for Helsinki

I'm not sure I am happy about this move. I love Hanyu just the way he is. He really doesn't need to have his edges smoothed, he just needs to mature.

Much as I have always loved Brian O, his skaters have not made as much progress this year as I had expected.

Never in a million years would I have thought to say this, but IMHO, Hanyu may regret this move. OMG, I can't believe I said that.

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I think this is good. And really hope Brian pays attention to his posture. I am ready to be a fan but I just can't take the hunched back. :drama: Dick Button would understand.

16. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what to think about this yet
    I have always thought Yuzuru had a special bond with his coach Naname

what happened to them ? :confused:
    and Orser has Fernadez already

17. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

But the good news is maybe we'll get less WeirImitation.

18. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Yes! I noticed the hunched back as well, and I'm not a stickler for that kind of thing.

Don't a lot of Japanese skaters train in Toronto in the summer? Elite coaching nowadays seems to be a team effort. It may not be Orser per se that he is moving for, but the whole package (David Wilson, Tracy Wilson, Briand, off-ice training, ice time, etc.).

I'm also always hearing the it is difficult to get ice time in Japan. Maybe after all of the devastation from the earthquake/Tsunami it has gotten worse.

19. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

I don't think there was any issue between Yuzu and Mrs. Abe. Almost all Japanese skaters go train abroad at one point in their careers. The JSF encourages their top skaters to do so, and I believe the JSF arranges those moves as well. I remember reading Mrs. Nagamitsu said in one of her interviews that the JSF had told her and Daisuke to go work with Tarasova in Russia, so they did.

I think it'll be a great experience for Yuzu to be in a different environment especially when he is still very young. He'll have to learn to communicate in English, and that'll help him if he wants to be a World top skater.

20. Jenny81

Jenny81 Active Member

Is it the best decision for him? :rolleyes:
    He seemed to have a great relationship with Nanami Abe.

Well... I don't know. :slinkaway

21. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Ugh.

22. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Does Yuzuru have solid jumps?
    If so, this looks to be a good move.
    IMO, Orser does not seem to be a strong technical coach.
    (Look at Kim‘s 3Lo, Rippon‘s 3A, Gao‘s 2A&3fLz, Javier‘s jumps except Quad&3A. ;))

23. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

In my opinion Hanyu needs polishing and better choreography (just thinking of this season´s freeskate which was unnecessarily exhausting). This is a good move for him!

24. os168

os168 Active Member

Hmm really mixed feeling about this. Not sure if it is a wise decision.

Orser must have accumulated some major karma points in his past life to be getting 2 of the best prodigies in figure skating these past years. Yuna Kim who also made the bronze at her sr. debut season coming off as the Junior Champion, and Hanyu who just did and is. Part of Hanyu's success as been noted already has been the attention to detail in his training, particularly managing his day to day regime with varying degrees of delicate health conditions that Nanami has been familiar with for many years. She knows how much he can take, and needs to recuperate and take a break in small varying degrees on a day to day basis. I can only imagine the young and the restless's tendency is likely to go for it at 110% everyday and likely leads to big chances of injury. That is why a maternal figure can work very well in this case vs a testosterone driven coach who has a history liking to show off his students and have always shown a gunho attitude building them up to the press. Remember the amount of media hype he did for Adam Rippon and Christina Gao a while back with magazine covers and big feature interviews? Still, not much result to show for it.

Having Nanami's first priority full time vs Orser who seems to have accumulated a large stable of skaters with less possibility to have the proper one to one attention Hanyu is used to, this would be a major change. From the reports I have read, Orser seems to favour managed skaters in groups sessions, which was why Joubert and Verner have tried but left quickly not having used to this style where their flaw and weakness can be so exposed.

Thought of the day:
    What is Hanyu in North America? HANYUNA = Han = 漢 = 漢YuNa = Male Yuna (in Kanji)
    :)shuffle: sorry can't help it)

Hey mann.. whatever works, he is still my Olympic Gold choice :p Let's hope Mr. Triple Axels himself finally found himself a student with a proper consistent 3Axels that don't get deteriorated with coaching. Other wise I'd be seriously depressed for Hanyu.

Part of Hanyu's legend that I have enjoyed had been the fact he didn't buckle up the trend to get a big league coach or choreographer for what ever political / reputation incentivised trend that many skaters out there seems to do. I wish him the best of luck! And hope he doesn't loose out these unique pure qualities of his skating. I do think artistically he can benefit from David Wilson's playful experimental style, and certainly he can benefit from a world class COP team that knows how to maximize out of his best qualities in terms of scoring.

I wonder how the Canadian skating federation feel about this since Hanyu is likely to be one of Patrick Chans biggest threat in the next couple of years. Just no sabotage please.

25. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

I agree. It could have been the JSF idea and then it was presented to
    Yuzu. We do not now the details.

Yuzu is on the fast track to Sochi and he is the future so this move does not surprise me at all. Of course I have no personal knowledge and I am speculating here but I think that the JSF is behind this change.

26. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

I'm feeling quite positive about this change. I think Hanyu is really on his way to become THE top contender in men's figure skating.
    Nevertheless, it's kind of weird to think he is leaving Abe behind. They always looked so close!

27. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I think Nanami Abe has done such a good job with Yuzuru, and I really can't figure out why he (or the JSF) would want to end that collaboration. A new choreographer might have been a good idea, but a coaching change and a move halfway across the world? I don't know about that. With the possible exception of Yu-Na, Orser's work has struck me as more of a quick fix than a long-term solution, and Yuzuru doesn't need any quick fixes.

Hanyu won the bronze in his Worlds debut, not his first senior season - he made the move up in 2010-11.

I don't think that's an accurate take on Joubert and Verner's rationale. Both were in Toronto in the summer of 2010, when the Orser-Kim breakup was in the works and there was probably all sorts of tension and drama going on. Orser's best remaining skater was Adam Rippon; I don't think they would have looked weak in comparison, not to mention that Verner was coming from Oberstdorf, where he trained for years alongside Carolina Kostner. He tried several rinks and probably just didn't click with Orser. And Verner's main weakness isn't his skating anyway, it's his mental strength. Joubert's MO has always been to get coaches to come to Poitiers, though he does do short training camps where he works as part of a group. Some skaters do very well in a group situation, others don't - but I doubt this is motivated by trying to hide flaws or feeling insecure. Whether or not it will work for Hanyu, I really don't know - though I do hope so, of course.

28. NMURA

NMURA Member

I think Orser is one of the best technical (jump) coach in the world. What Hanyu needs (wants) now is technical arsenals to overwhelm Chan (and Plushenko). Pretty apparent the JSF is behind this move. The JSF may want to "hire" Orser as the coach for Japanese elite skaters like Morozov before. Probably Asada is the one most needed for Orser's help. Nobuo Sato is incompetent when it comes to teaching jumps. Kozuka still can't (most likely, never will) master the quad after four full season's struggles.

29. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

The rationale was that Fassi could speak many languages and could lobby most of the judges in their own languages and eavesdrop on the rest, something considered extremely important when figures could make or break a skater.

Besides posture, Hanyu could use some lessons in musicality: he skated through that bombastic FS score with little relationship to it. If nothing else, Orser can hear music.

30. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

HAHAHAHA.

I dont know if i agree with the coaching change but i would agree with a different choreographer. The coach has done a teriffic job with him. There must have been something that Hanyu saw in Brian. This is all assuming that he got as much input as his federation on the decision to begin with.:rolleyes: