Yuna will skate to Giselle and 'Arirang'

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by figsrus, Nov 29, 2010.

1. figsrus

figsrus New Member

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Will it be a side that points her toes while skating to ballet music?
    pollyanna and (deleted member) like this.
  3. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

Love every word of the article. :swoon:
  4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Looking forward to that!
  5. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

I'm very excited to see her LP. It should be very interesting!
  6. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Well....I'll believe it when I see it (and I would love to see it)....but I don't really think she will skate at Worlds. That is a lot of pressure, and a lot of risk for her and her "brand", rolling the dice on one competition.
  7. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Ahh, this makes me so excited! Yuna will make a beautiful Giselle :swoon: !
  8. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think she can pull of the win in Tokyo! Can't wait to see them in March =)
  9. WayCon

WayCon New Member

What I thought as well. Of course she could just as easily save it for next season, if she doesn't retire completely.
  10. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see her programs. Honestly, with the way the ladies have been skating this season thus far, I think Yu-Na has a very good shot at regaining the World title. I wish she were debuting her programs at 4CC though instead of Worlds so she could have some feedback before March.
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  11. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

I'm wary about Giselle because of her lack of ballet training, but visually speaking, she makes a beautiful Giselle. arirang is an extremely smart choice since Korean dance is all about flexed foot and "turned in" body movements.
    In any case, I'm very excited!
  12. geod2

geod2 New Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  13. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

6 triples and 2 double axels, one less than last year, meaning one less triple in combination than last year, should be MORE THAN ENOUGH for Ms. Kim to regain her world title.

I do expect the ladies to "pick it up" a bit from the GP season, but I don't see anyone pushing her if she can do 6 triples and 2 2axels. Heck, she could probably get away with 5 if she's artful about arranging them.
  14. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

With her lazy, unpointed toe I hardly think "Giselle" will work. Esp. after Yukari's spectacular version just recently...

-Bridget
  15. Margot

Margot New Member

I had never heard "Arirang" before and I enjoyed hearing the performance of it by the New York Philharmonic. It has great piccolo solos (very unusual) and, as a former professional flutist and piccolo player, that's fun to hear!
  16. Lookingood

Lookingood New Member

:swoon::biggrinbo
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  17. JerseySlore

JerseySlore Active Member

I am wary too, but Nakano wasn't exactly known for her impeccable line and perfect toe points, so I wouldn't be entirely pessimistic.
  18. invierno

invierno New Member

It's interesting you should mention Yukari because I don't see pointed toe there as well... I just saw wrapped legs. Nonetheless I liked the program.:D

I'm just very thrilled at this music choice! This will be a challenge for her for sure but I'm sure she'll make beautiful and impressive Giselle.
    Yay, March, Come!!!
  19. synawe

synawe New Member

It's like comparing Honda to Messi.
  20. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

Sorry to interrupt. I am not so sure her "Arirang FP" will be very well received in Tokyo. Maybe it would be a little like performing "Bells of Moscow" in North America.
  21. invierno

invierno New Member

Hm.... how about performing "Geisha" in China or in France? :D
    I think the problem with "Bell" was the program itself rather than the title...
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

Music choices wouldn't be a problem if people had just left national politics out of sports. That's so 1936. ;)

I feel that both pieces of music are better suited for FS. If only Yuna had swapped one of them for her Gershwin and used that as a short for this season.
  23. Spinner

Spinner Where's my book?

Let the war begin. :watch:
  24. Copper

Copper New Member

I agree with you. There is no reason to think the non-Korean audience will be moved by "Arirang". In fact, I think she reduces her chance of winning by (i) performing Arirang in Japan, and (ii) not participating in other competitions prior to the Worlds. However, the dramatic effects she can generate by doing so is huge. With or without winning the title, her message to her countrymen will be delivered very effectively.
  25. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Thank God it's not Latin/Tango! :lol: Seriously..we don't know the choreography yet and I'm excited especially that Yuna is not known for her balletic moves and she will take this as a challenge. :D
  26. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I love Yuna, but I don't think it's fair to her to assume that she'll win just because the field hasn't been so awesome so far. Who knows what Worlds will hold? Frankly, I don't think anyone actually does.
  27. John 3 17

John 3 17 Well-Known Member

That is true... I will say that Yukari at least had a firm toe, even if not pointed, whereas Yuna has a lazy and unpointed toe. I say, if a skater doesn't point, at least be firm like Elena Berezhnaya (fave skater of mine, too). Another thing in Yukari's favor was her wonderful facial expression which I personally don't get from Yuna.

We shall see :)

-Bridget
  28. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

Giselle= Je l'adore! :cheer2:

I’ve always wanted to see this gal try something on the lines of Don Quixote (even though I swore that’s something I never wanted to see again after Hughes/Slutskaya performed to it), or something with a balletic style.
    She is not a prima ballerina which means this choice is risky and a huge challenge. But of course, toe pointing and foot placing have been a concern for her, so this is a great vehicle for her to show her improvements. (I’m glad Peter is paying attention to her feet.:) Good on her!
  29. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

Don't worry it's not for you.
    And there'll be about 40+ more musics on the day, the music will be just one of them. :lol:
  30. galaxy

galaxy Active Member

Yeah. I had partly agreed with you. I'm the one who think music choice is very important. Then I saw " The Bells" was pretty well received in Torino. The audience got excited and seemed they found no problem with the music and program. That was a little surprise for me. That's why.
  31. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Debuting your programs at Worlds means not getting any mileage and feedback on them. It might really backfire.

On the other hand, with the level of skating displayed so far this season, a subpar skate by Kim might be enough for gold.
  32. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Worked for Cohen (in the SP ;)).
  33. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Which competition?
  34. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

2005 Worlds I think? (although she debuted at nationals)
  35. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

US Nationals 2010
  36. burntBREAD

burntBREAD New Member

Maybe this is a sign that Yuna points her toes now? I mean, Giselle is one of the most famous ballets ever, you should definitely point your toes. And I agree, debuting at Worlds is a risk but I also agree that she probably could win as long as she's clean.

Will her costume also look like Yukari/Gordeeva/Miki's version of what's worn in the ballet?
  37. Indra486

Indra486 Well-Known Member

2010 Nationals? But she did skate her Espana Cani at an exhibition, though it looked different than the debut at Spokane.
  38. burntBREAD

burntBREAD New Member

I actually really, really liked Espana Cani. That fiery style really fits her. Moonlight Sonata not too much, but it might have just been because she two footed and splatted all over the place.
  39. Fallcolor

Fallcolor New Member

Ahhh yes, you're right, Indra! :)

2010 nationals I'd rather erase from my memory forever...:fragile:
  40. bek

bek Guest

I don't know how the Japanese will react to Arirang. BUT, Arirang is simply gorgeous music, and I'm not sure why you think that Non Koreans wouldn't find it beautiful. (I'm non Korean) A year ago I played the music for some American junior high students, these are the type of kids who listen to rap etc none were Korean. And all of them really liked it. Obviously there's more cultural stuff at play with Japan, but the music in and of itself is something Non Koreans can appreciate. Great music is something that kind of transcends audiences and cultures IMO. I think Non Korean and Non Japanese will think they are hearing a pretty and moving piece of music.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2010