Yuna shines in qualifying for worlds

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I agree. Her line, toe point and over all positions are not attractive to me, and there for, I am not a fan.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Excellent post. :)

3. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Don’t push it, troll. You don’t know better.

I believe those who go after her and her fandom repeatedly with the same pattern and contents, in many occasions in concerted efforts, are strongly tied by nationality or (Japanese) nationalistic origin. I suspect many of them are with fake or misleading identities or multiple ids, and I experienced a ghost nic responding to my post in this forum.

About Aussie Willy, read my posts. I’ve never conceded to her self-implied identity. I actually think I nailed her.

4. lakewood

lakewood New Member

Of course not. YuNa's greatest performances all came out at Worlds and Olympics, at her 4th or fifth performances of the year. Not only YuNa but most other skaters too. Did any skater give her or his best performance on GP? Further, this was only her 2nd performance after 2 years break. But, there were unjusitifiably slanted criticisms.

5. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Phrases can be harsh sometimes when they're criticisms. And, to be clear, IceAlisa never said "I think she is ugly" but she did point out her leg line could improve a lot more which is correct. Sure, if "I don't like her" is what IceAlisa said, it's true that it has no way of actually helping Yuna's skating, yet you should know that it was her opinion, not a criticism. People don't have to like Yuna like they don't have to like any other skaters.

Like above, AFAIK, IceAlisa has been consistent in a way that she expresses her complaints about Yuna's line, so it prevents her from being an invested fan of Yuna's overall. That is just it.

Thank you for this!

6. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

So much drama. LOL.

I'm a Yuna fan. Obviously. But I agree that Yuna is not known for her good lines or flexibility. I think it's a valid criticism. I think she will never have a good line like Alissa, Mao or Michelle, so I just give up on that.

As for her LP, I can understand why some are having a hard time liking this program. It's underwhelming I guess. But I appreciate her skate here. It's so rare when skated clean in LP. You could see she's a competitor and based from her interviews I'm liking her fire after the competition.

Wish Yuna the very best.

7. lakewood

lakewood New Member

To be clear, I did not say Ice Alisa said "I think she is ugly". It was an example to point out that such comment would not be helpful. She has been saying virtually "I don't like her and her skating" so many times on this board over the years. I am sure her point was taken sufficiently by everybody.

8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:lol: Poor ubers.

I think that someone who works as hard as Yuna to become the best jumper in woman's skating IMO, could certainly improve the line, toes, layback, etc., if she chose, if she thought it was important and/or if she were pushed by the judges. Just to think how many more of us would get onto the Yuna train if she did! I think that someone like her could do almost anything in skating, which means I hold her to a very high standard, the standard she sets herself with her work ethic and her stunning technical ability.

But one thing is definitely a lie: that I don't like Yuna, the person. I have nothing but respect and admiration for her athleticism and persistence. She is not just coming back, she is coming back very strong, not a half-a$$ed comeback that some attempt. Some sadly delusional statements here. Oh well. That's FSU. :p :drama:

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  9. a56

a56 New Member

This troll never goes away, does it? :rofl: The same stuff written in every thread about a skater it despises and links what one group of people says to an entire ethnic group. :rofl:

10. whoa

whoa Member

It's like watching a pack of piranhas fight for food. A title with "Yuna" and bam! The fish are there.

I adore Yuna's 3-3 consistency, her arms, and the spark she has in some of her programs; the (lack of) flexibility, layback, and toe-points, I'm not a fan of. Overall, I don't feel any way in particular about her - I appreciate her hard work and look forward to what she'll accomplish in the next 14 months.

I wonder if anyone would ever ask her about her layback and feet though, as an open, no-judgment, super peaceful kind of conversation. Like IceAlisa said, I'm sure it's not without thought, and I'm curious why. This conversation is probably an impossible fantasy.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  11. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Let us see ... Shine has been posting here since 2002 over a variety of topics over 3+ Olympic cycles while a56 has been posting here since 2010 mostly in Yu Na threads ... who might I concluded more fits the term troll ...

12. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I posted this yesterday in the quads thread, but it fits here, too:
    Except that Yuna ubers really do take it to a another level. In that respect, it is nice to see Yuna fans such as l'etoile and yunasashafan, who are more open-minded and interested in actually having a discussion.

For the record, I think Yuna Kim is a very good skater, I was really impressed with her when I saw her live, and I give her a lot of credit for how she's handled her comeback so far. However, I have never been particularly moved by her skating, and I don't think she is perfect/heavenly/the greatest ever/an artistic genius. And since I'm Israeli, nobody can possibly suggest that I am motivated by national bias in this matter :p

13. CatYuna

CatYuna New Member

First time posting. I've been following the thread and wanted to provide another opinion.

Whether you are a Yuna fan or not, I hope we can all agree one thing. Her two events at NWR and Korean Nationals exceeded most people's expectation regardless of whatever inflated or legit score were given, and the fact that she is the favorite going into 2013 Worlds considering the performances by her competitions this season.

Having said that, I am in agreement with YunaSashafan. I do think her two performances were not at the same level as the ones from the Olympic, but she still has 2 months to refine them, and I am sure she will. Yuna's Gershwin was not an instant hit for some people including myself, but it became one of the epic programs in history (at least for me), so I will wait until the worlds to provide my take on her program this year.

In the meanwhile, we are having a lot of heated discussion on artistic aspects of figure skating that are subjective in nature. Music, choreography, beautiful line, etc. Difference in opinions are expected, and that is a good thing. World will be boring without the differences. I learned a long ago that I can not even impose my opinions on a family member. Good luck doing that on a stranger.

In addition, many of you provided your qualifications why your opinions matter more, and I believe everyone in this board has more qualifications than me in providing figure skating opinions, but unfortunately none of our opinions will have an impact on the current skaters, unless you are one of CURRENTLY ACTIVE judges. That's the thing, all skaters including Yuna is doing their best, both technically and artistically, to get the best score in competition. Thus far, no one has done consistantly better, surpringly to some people in both aspects, than Yuna for the last 4-5 years in terms of score which only matters regardless of how some people don't care of her skating style, posture, etc.. So I can also understand that Yuna fans get offended when people provide negative opinions of the best skater (again in term of Judges's score). To them, it may sound like nitpicking Michael Jordan, the greatest basketball player ever to some people, when they are so many others to nitpick from.

So, let the disagreement continue, but remember, it is only for fun among ourselves, the posters and readers, while none of our (including sports journalists) opinions really matter unless one of them is from the current judge.

rayhaneh, os168, l'etoile and 3 others like this.
  14. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

What an incredibly great first post, CatYuna! Hope to see your posts more often:respec:

15. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Aussie Willy, I said you misunderstood me because by the word non-Asian I didn’t mean it to have any racist connotation. I said that since I believe, as in my reply to shine, that most of those who go after Yu-Na and her fandom repeatedly with the same pattern and contents in this forum, in many occasions in concerted efforts, are strongly tied to Japan by nationality or ethnic origin. That said, of course I know that there can be many of ex-Japan fans here who are not Yu-Na fans or impressed by her skating.

Since you seem to be very sensitive about this and it’s not so clear to me on why or on whether you are an Asian, I want to ask you this: Are you ethnically Asian?

Again, I’m asking this WITHOUT ANY racist intent. And if you’re uncomfortable with this, no need to reply.

16. lakewood

lakewood New Member

What a balanced post! :respec:

17. AndyWarhol

ALL ASIANS DECLARE YOURSELVES!

18. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I'm all for it! Drop those misleading nics and be proud of being Asian! I'm one..

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  19. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:shuffle:

No Lowtherlore, Aussie Willy is a true blue Aussie. We Aussies are peace loving, tree hugging and loyal souls. :p Our favourite assertions are 'fair go' and 'mateship'. You have aimed your gun at the wrong target. :D Aussie Willy was just giving a personal opinion which I think AW thought might be helpful (but apparently it back-fired). Aussie Willy is NOT a troll. That I can vouch for my fellow country mate. Just check AW's past posts.

20. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

I think AndyWharhol might have been sarcastic :shuffle:

What's next? Should we all post our picture to prove our ethnicity? And what about having a little symbol next to our nickname so that people can instantly indentify us as being Caucasian, Asian, etc? That way you can discard ANY criticism, no matter how mild or rationally presented, from the moment it comes from someone who might be related to Japan in some way - wouldn't that be fantastic? :D :wall:

(and yes, I know about Maobots - and Yunabots too btw, except here you were asking such questions of someone whose sole crime was to want to contribute her point of view - respectfully - to the conversation)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  21. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

rayhaneh, I appreciate your concerns, thanks. And yes, I too understood AW’s post as a sarcasm.

My answer is in my earlier post:

This is a very unfortunate and abnormal situation. Please, don’t put Yu-Na fans and Mao/Japan fans on the same line here. You never see Yu-Na fans swarm to Mao-related threads to criticize her collectively. I, for one, seldom visit Mao threads. But in every Yu-Na related threads there are those who swarm in to repeat same things against her and her fandom over and over again. It’s just extraordinary. And I strongly believe vast majority of them are Japanese or of Japanese origin, regardless of what their nickname implies or their self-claimed identities are. Isn’t it clear that’s why every Yu-Na thread gets fired up? I think it’s really unfair to blame Yu-Na fans for this extraordinary situation. Most of them, including me, are open to reasonable criticisms and opinions from sincere skating fans. Again, with that said, of course I understand there can be those ex-Japan fans who don’t find Yu-Na their cup of tea.

22. falling_dance

falling_dance The Scarlet Unlettered

I think that trying to intimidate someone out of expressing their views is disgusting. Persistently questioning another poster's self-professed nationality, ethnicity, etc., simply because of a suspicion that there are people who post criticisms of your favorite skater for reasons of nationalism, amounts to just that.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  23. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

In every Yuna-related thread, her ubers swarm in to repeat the same things over and over regarding those who aren't fans. It is just extraordinary.

Your claims about all detractors/non-fans being motivated by nationalistic fervor are ludicrous. It is possible not to admire Yuna Kim's skating (or anybody else's skating) just because it doesn't appeal to you.

24. Aussie Willy

Are you f*cking serious? How dare you ask me this question after I categorically stated in a previous post that I am Australian!!!! Do I need to explain it further? And no I am not uncomfortable or sensitive about the question. I even more pissed off with you bloody questioning me after I already told you that I am a fair dinkum true blue dinky di Australian - born and bred here. This is so pathetic questioning posters to try and establish an ethic stereotype that you have obviously developed about particular skating fans. You really need to have a good hard look at yourself.

And I can't go by with posting this comment:
    You are so freakin off the mark it is ridiculous and you are just digging a bigger and bigger hole of idiocy. I don't give a shit about your opinions but when you are totally wrong then you need to be brought to account. What a freak!

Previous apology is now not accepted. May a pox descend upon your puny little troll pea brain.

Give me some popcorn to throw at this idiot!!!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  25. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I’m sorry, but you are missing my point. It’s okay if someone doesn’t like Yu-Na. That’s not the point here. If you’re not an Japanese anti Yu-Na as you said, none of my previous posts directly concerns you.

Thanks for the comments. But I’m waiting for a reply from Aussie Willy, either by a post or a PM. I hope she answer, so that we can get some perspective on this mess. She was very eager in disclosing her training and learning background in qualifying her repetitious posts, after all.

26. vodkashot

vodkashot New Member

Aussie Willy, this Canadian gives you :watch::watch::watch:

Denigrating the views of posters based on ridiculous (and completely baseless) suspicions about their ethnicity/nationality is just pathetic.

27. Aussie Willy

Hey thanks for the popcorn.

I now officially declare I will exchange rep points for popcorn. Except you lovely people who I have already given positive rep to - you just get my love.

28. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Thanks for the reply. You didn't categorically reply to my inquiry whether you are ethnically Asian (again, no racist connotation implied, I myself am an ethnic Asian, but a US citizen), but that's fine. ;)

29. AndyWarhol

30. vigiliae

vigiliae New Member

IMO this mess will be cleaned up soon if you stop posting on this thread. :p

((Aussie Willy :watch:))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.