Yuna shines in qualifying for worlds

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sugar, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sugar

Sugar Well-Known Member

Buzz, Doggygirl, Sasha'sSpins and 5 others like this.
  2. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

That was a gorgeous performance. She's still the best, I am extremely impressed with that. :respec:

3. Shaia

Shaia New Member

I almost cried watching this. A dazzling performance indeed!!

4. eyh201

eyh201 New Member

Thanks for the video clip. :)
    It's amazing Yu-Na looked as if she hadn't skipped the seasons. Wow! :eek:

5. Dyu

Dyu New Member

I can feel how hard she'd trained for the comeback.. :respec:

6. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

Thanks for the the clip! WOW! Great to see her back in such a amazing shape. :respec:
    The improvement she made from NRW-Trophy is stunning (and there she had already skated really well!)

7. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

That made me feel things, I haven't felt since Michelle left----a lump in the throat, tears brimming. Absolutely magnificent. Great skating is back. Who would have thought it. Well, if she skates like that at worlds, her scores will be through the roof. The rest of the ladies need to be prepared to fight for the silver and bronze. And this from someone who until now was not a fan. Thank god she came back!!!!!!

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  8. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

That ^

I am not a Yuna uber by any stretch of the imagination. But coming back from more any stretch of a year or more without competition is never an easy task - to come back to such a level is no less than amazing! I don't want to think about the amount of work she must have done to be able to deliver such a high-level performance

Utter respect :respec:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  9. brina

brina Well-Known Member

Reminds me of Michelle Kwan at US Nationals, for sure.

10. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

11. martyross

martyross New Member

I join the celebrations :) yet the program doesn’t convince me as the SP does. I think David Wilson was a little too generic here. While the story of the lady bitten by the vampire is rich of nuances and dark sensuality, the choreography for Les Misérables, especially the middle section, lacks detail and originality. And it is too similar to “Someone like you”, which was generic too. It’s odd, because he usually creates a lot of little moves never seen before. a theme like this requires originality, I think, because one runs the risk to be saccharine (as “On my own” actually is, being a sentimental pop song, while Hugo was much more subtle in depicting Eponine and her sacrifice). Chosing this story for a program shows the golden heart Yuna has, but the theme needs a better rendition. (OT. I haven’t watched the movie, but read some reviews and this one is absolutely fantastic :D http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/movies/2012/12/les_mis_rables_reviewed.html )

12. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Fabulous !
    Such an amazing control on every element. She is fantastic !

13. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I am definitely convinced of her comeback on a technical level, but still not on an emotional, artistic level. There are several moments in the first half of the LP where it appears she doesn't know what to do with her arms, but to let them hang lifelessly by her side. David couldn't have choreographed it that way, unless he wishes for Yu-Na to copy Miki Ando. Her phrasing with the music was also off in places. Bravo on gaining consistency with the 3Salchow though, as that jump has proven to be her bugaboo during many important championships (2007 Worlds, 2008 Worlds, 2009 Worlds, 2010 Worlds). I can't believe I'm reading comparisons to Michelle Kwan though; honestly, WHAT are you watching?!?! On an emotional, artistic level, Yu-Na isn't close to Michelle at all. JMO. Congrats to Yu-Na! She is in terrific shape!

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  14. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

LOL, on an emotional, artistic level, she's far above and beyond Kwan. JMO. ;)

15. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

I agree with your point here - I am not touched emotionally by her artistical performance either at this stage and the program is a little generic. That being said, I think she's at a point when she still needs to focus on her technic - I felt her focus was inwards and not towards the public the whole time. But I am also thinking that should change once she's gained more confidence with her program and secure in her technic and it will be interesting to see this program evolve towards Worlds

16. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the video clip, very impressive skate from the Queen!

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

18. martyross

martyross New Member

she did a brilliant job and she showed commitment to the theme, it's the choreography that doesn't do her justice in some points, but i understand that being always that creative is not easy. i hope too Wilson will re-think the middle section. not sure what Miki Ando has to do with all this.

19. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I fully support this! The girl had been off the circuit for a couple of years and I'm pretty sure her first goal was to prove to herself that she can still do the technical staff in competition. So I’m not surprized that she skated with a lot of concentration. I assume we might still see this at Worlds, cause Yu-Na will still be in a position where she needs to prove that she came back in order for being a contender for gold next season in Sochi. But I also think we will see different skates at the beginning of next GP-season at the latest. :)

20. bek

bek Guest

I think that she needs time to get more use to the program.... I don't think she has to prove anything though. I had no doubt if this girl came back, she'd come back to win. Good for her. She's going to force everyone to be better. Already see Carolina dusting of the 3lutz and there's talk of the 3flip/3toe.. She will make the Russian jumpers like Elizaveta work on their artistry...This is good for the sport.

21. blancanieves

blancanieves Active Member

No "almost" for me, I totally did. So happy for her.

22. bek

bek Guest

I give Kim credit for coming back this year too so that she can earn spots for other Korean skaters for the Olympics. If she can place in the top 2 than two other Korean girls (if they get the TES requirements) can be in Sochi.

23. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The live broadcast may have mindless commentary, but at least the camera is steady and not bouncing all over the place.

Nevertheless, that was a great program.

24. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

I don't know how much her costume helped but her arms have never been better. Also, tough to tell watching video but her first lutz in the 3/3 combo looked higher than I remember it. Program is not overly ambitious choreographically but it won't need to be for her to have a real shot at winning in London. Nicely done.

Can't say she's lost much starpower in Korea either :)

25. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

Bravo Yuna! Love the spiral and spin positions. Looking forward to seeing this live at Worlds! :)

26. whoa

whoa Member

Congrats to Yu Na! It seems that her muscles have not lost any memory whatsoever.
    To me, the choreography/costume for the LP are bland and she is capable of much better, but I don't think she needs to do anything spectacular to win in London. I love her SP costume though. Hopefully she and her team come up with two incredible and risky programs next year, as she really doesn't have much to lose.
    My Korean is pretty bad, but I think in this interview she says that she lost her mind a little bit at the end and did the spin combo from her SP instead of LP at the end.
    http://youtu.be/Hs2qSP0ZfUU?t=9m33s
    Excited for Worlds!

27. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I truly hope the wink at the end there means you're kidding.

YuNa's program was great and she certainly doesn't look like she's missed a day off the ice. Her jumps still floor me; they're so light and seemingly effortless. And yet, her layback spin still makes me cringe. I'm also not sold on the LP choreo yet. She reminds me of Mirai at times in that she's playing for the audience one moment and the next she's pretending she's the only one there. It still needs work before Worlds but she's certainly thrown down the gauntlet. Ladies will be fun to watch.

28. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I agree with this. :eek:
    What a fun time we are living in in Women's skating!

29. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Technically that was a great program. She did not miss a beat with those elements and her jump technique is outstanding. However choreographically it was rather juniorish and all at one level although some moments worked with the phrasing of the music. Maybe that could be because the program is still being worked in. Although for a skater at that level, whilst it is all very well to say that the choreographer hasn't done a good job, the skater has to invest something of themselves into the performance.

30. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

I don't think Yu-Na will ever have the "pow" to her performance that Kwan had. This is what held me back over the years from getting into her skating, and while beautiful in Vancouver she still left me feeling flat. Since she won the Olympics though, I feel that there is more life in her performances and she's more elegant and sensitive to the music now. She's able to let herself go in the performance now and I love her footwork sequence, it really shows off how much she's improved in projecting and I also find her skating to be much less stiff. She's also grown up and skates with the maturity of a woman now, and she's commanding the audience more when she skates. I've been converted. ;) I also love the SP, some actual voids in a sea of mcdonalds hamburger programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.