Yuna Kim moving to LA: UPDATE 10/5 new coach P. Oppegard

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Blair, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Blair

Blair New Member

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

FYI, discussion on this topic started in the "All That Skate LA" show thread last night ;): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74623&page=9

ETA a quote from the AFP newswire article that's posted in the other thread: "However, an [ATS] agency spokeswoman said the East West Ice Palace [in Artesia, California] is only a temporary venue."

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  3. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Hmm....who's in Southern Cali these days? Frank Carroll! :lol:

But if they're only in Aretesia "temporarily," then I guess it's not him.

4. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

East West is a fantastic rink. I've only been there a few times but I liked skating there!

5. azcalder

azcalder Member

Hasn't Frank Carroll moved out near his home in Palm Springs? Actually sounds like she's not sure where she wants to permenantly settle. There's a large Korean population in LA, but it's downtown near the Staple Center...not sure of any coaches/rinks in that location.

6. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Oh, yes, Carroll did move his training camp! That means he is still an option. ;)

7. Morry Stillwell

Morry Stillwell Well-Known Member

He is temporarily at Ice Castle. His new rink is not open due to local city bureaucratic hold ups.

8. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Actually the Koreatown in the City of LA is formed around the area called Mid-Wilshire district, which is about 5-10 minute drive from LA downtown and the Staples Centre. There’s a rink in West Los Angeles, but AFAIK there’s none in LA downtown or in Koreatown area. But the Los Angeles County and the adjacent Orange County have many other areas that have sizeable Korean and other Asian communities, including Cerritos and Artesia where Michelle's rink is located (only about 20 minute drive from LA downtown). The Pickwick rink in the City of Burbank is about 10-15 minute drive from LA downtown.

9. fan

fan Well-Known Member

Interesting. I thought one of the reasons she enjoyed toronto was that she could be anonymous.I wonder how much she will be recognized in LA.

I also wonder if the shorter flight time to S. Korea impacts the decision as well...

10. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

She will be more recognized in LA than in Toronto, but it still would be nowhere near the attention she gets in Korea. And for her residence she could choose a suburban area nearby her training venue with less Korean American concentration. She would have easy access to the nearby Korean community for shopping etc. as there are many sizeable Korean communities all over the LA and Orange County, unless she choose a place like Lake Arrowhead which is a long drive from LA.

11. amaro

amaro Active Member

It would be great if ATS LA becomes an annual event, just like Yuna's shows in Korea.

12. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

maybe the coach is....Danny Kwan:eek:

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  13. crzesk8dad

crzesk8dad Active Member

Deleted by author.

14. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

Karen Kwan has worked as a choreographer and her husband, 1988 Olympic pairs bronze medalist, Peter Oppegard has worked as a coach at the East West Skating Palace in Artesia. Karen is the skating director there too.

15. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

16. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

17. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I doubt anyone is serious about Carroll being an option, but with Mirai's placement at the Olympics- I would say she an Yuna are going to be in direct competition this quad, and it would be poor form for him to take Yuna on.

I know he's coached multiple elite skaters, but do coaches ever have skaters like that who are realistically aiming for the same podium?

19. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

You mean besides in ice dance or pairs? :shuffle:

20. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Well outside of ice dance. I don't follow pairs well enough to know it's common (the two florida pairs being the only I know, and I don't think many people thought it would be so close between them). In Singles, do coaches do this much? (I remember it was an issue when Nagasu moved because Kostner was with Carroll, and the general consensus was they weren't in direct competition because Nagasu was "2nd tier")

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Didn't stop either Nicolai or Linichuck. Conflict of interest? Money talks :p.

Carlo Fassi also had both Kadavy and Trenary as students at the same time.

Didn't Nicolai part way with TT in late 02/ early 03, because he was helping MK with choreography while also working with TT to train Sasha?

22. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

Weren't Urmanov, Yags and Plush realistically aiming for the same podiums (at least at Russian Nats and Euros) when all were coached by Mishin?

23. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

Yes, but as I remember it, Yags and Plushy were Mishin's "garbage" that were allowed to shine only after Prince Poppycock was too injured to compete. :D

:cheer: Yu-na coming to SoCal! More opps to catch her perform.

HisWeirness and (deleted member) like this.
  24. bek

bek Guest

Mishin took on Yagudin and Plushenko when they were both pretty young, and Urmanov was established. For the most part I think Urmanov probably didn't feel that threatened because I doubt he was thinking much beyond 98 and was really always the better skater (who talk is got most of the attention)

Yagudin and Plushenko were both pretty young and unproven, but we know very well that situation blew up as soon as it was clear they were going to be going 1-2 for the forseeable future.

I think it depends on the situation, and some coaches can make it work. But there's a big difference between a top skater having to deal with a young skater whose been training with them for years, getting better (and especially when they are thinking about retiring) and/or a young skater having to deal with the fact that their coach already has a star. Well there's a big difference between that and a skater who was top 4 at the Olympic games, and planning on achieving great results, having to deal with the reigning Olympic champ deciding they want to use their coach.

I think Mirai pretty much has dibs on Frank as far as I'm concerned, and I think that if Yu-na went to skate with Frank, it would have to be only if Mirai was okay with it. As far as I'm concerned if the idea of Mao/Orser made Yu-na upset than she should give the same kind of consideration to Mirai.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2010
  25. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I can't imagine Yu-Na wanting to train with anyone less "prestigious" than Frank Carroll, and I honestly wouldn't put it past Frank to take her on. He trained Carolina Kostner and Mirai Nagasu at the same time, so why should he start being exclusive to Mirai now? Especially when he is trying to draw skaters to a new rink out in the middle of nowhere? He'll need all the help and publicity he can get! In the meantime, I can't imagine YuNa would mind training in Lake Arrowhead, which is pretty cumbersome to get to, and should give her a little privacy.

26. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Maybe Yu-Na is going to LA because she does not know where to go and is hoping she will be approached by a coach. (Where's Robin Wagner? :lol:)

Urmanov should have moved on by the time Yag and Plushy were mature, but he stayed in for more eligible skating after overachieving in 1994 . . . probably because nobody wanted to sign him for a tour since his skating was not very entertaining in comparison to :yikes: Petrenko (which is oh so very sad).

Not likely. That's not how it works.

I do not think that prospect would be very interesting to Frank. Although I could be wrong since I do not know Frank. However, what's there to teach Yu-Na? Not much . . . maybe fix her layback spin free leg, but he is not exactly an expert on that.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  27. loulou

loulou Let It Snow

Actually, Kostner moved when Nagasu was already with Carroll.
    And that argument the two skaters were not in direct competition was so short-sighted.

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

29. bek

bek Guest

If Yu-na was just into prestigious coaches, wouldn't she have gone to a more prestigous coach in 2006-2007. I mean yes Brian Orser was a World champion and 2 Olympic silver medalist, but he was new coach.

30. amaro

amaro Active Member

The question is, are Frank Carroll and Yuna a good fit? As Orser once said in pre-Olympic interviews, Yuna wants to take control of the situation and likes to have a say in her training, and I am not sure how much Frank Carroll would be up for that.