Yuna Kim announces new programs for 2013-14 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

It's just too bad Yuna didn't compete more in this Olympic cycle. I would have loved to seen her on the GP circuit again. Imagine the epic performances we would have seen. I don't think she's reached her peak as a skater.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yu-Na is just amazing! Can't wait to see those programs in competition.

3. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  4. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you, RunnersHigh and ehdtkqorl123. This program surely has some beautiful moments, but I still find some accents lacking, especially in the step sequence. Also some other accents look a bit too similar - I mean the turns. Plus, I expected something fiercer to counter the softness and lyricism of the SP, but this is a quite soft tango. Perhaps in competition when skating the complete program Yuna will raise the level of "fierce" :).

5. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

She is just back from the injury and not in perfectly good shape.
    And she said it is the hardest program ever c/z it's full of choreography from the begining to the end.
    May some advise team Yuna like you and if it's regarded as appropriate they will rework on the program as usual.

Yes, you're right! Armed with costume, makeup and full choreography, the program will be changed from a run-through to something special.
    And she has 2 and a half months to polish it the more. ;)

6. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Am I the only person who doesn't like Yuna's LP?..... Adios Noninos is a beautiful piece of music and that particular selection by David hurt my ears the whole time. I don't what he was thinking with those cuts. He should have went with something more like Lulu's or Laura Lepisto's soundtracks. What is with all these skaters using screechy music selections season (ie Ashley)?

The short is fine. Though it would be nice if David used other cuts in it instead of the same thing. Send in the Clowns is also a beautiful piece of music and that program doesn't bolster the music enough.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  7. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I understand that perfectly well. I was just "evaluating" the program in its current practice look.

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

To be fair to Kim, I was not enamored with the music when Lulu skated to it. I found the program to be really boring and the music to be sort of grating.

9. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

10. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

This is pretty fierce: http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6043/fpw.gif

That's just before her step sequence. :D

11. smarts1

True. Lulu's was a little boring, but there were at least portions of it that were beautiful. I find Yuna's program, as you put it, grating the whole time. There isn't much in it for me to appreciate the music...

I think it's mostly the bandoneon that's bothering me with the music. The opening piano part also is a little screechy. I don't know. I came on here and saw all the people who loved Yuna's programs and I thought they would be masterpieces. There's more choreography than usual in her programs this year, but the music ruins both programs for me to be honest. :/

12. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

We've only seen about 70% of the choreography in both programs--she did skipped a bunch of sections. Not to mention she was obviously more loose and less clear with her expressions/movements in practice. We'll see the full programs soon enough.

As for the music, that's a matter of taste. Some people love this particular variation of Adios Nonino--it's a popular Broadway composition. The only part I find a little grating is the choreo sequence at the end. But up to the last 3Salchow, I think it's just fine for my ears.

13. pat decaro

pat decaro New Member

I guess she actually went through most of the choreography with that run-thru. The missing parts are for the spins, it seems.

I like the program, the music cut, piano, bandoneon and all. Without bandoneon, it's not Piazzolla. Especially with Adios Nonino, it is essential. I think Piazzolla would have been happy with this edit. I want to see the full program with costume and little more emoting. This has the potential to be a special tango program.

14. smarts1

But I think it's too much bandoneon though... I don't know maybe the program will grow on me. Ashley's screechy LP music is starting to grow on me too. Maybe it's also because she's using a version skaters normally don't skate to. When I listened to it at first, I was like this isn't Adios Noninos...

15. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links! I can't wait to see the complete programs in competition.

16. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

Holding out on my final verdict for Adios Nonino until I can see it in competition, and further along in the season. The back half looks choreographically empty (lots of cross overs) based on this run-through, but that's not to say that it will be as such in Sochi. Otherwise, the program is amazing!

17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Send in the Clowns with powerful skating and deep pivots. Reminds me of Tonya Harding (in a good way). Love the short.

The long looks promising and can be wonderful once she turns it on.

Those fan cams have wonderfully captured her wonderful skating skills.

18. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Just watched her doing the rehearsal. It was amazing! Although she skipped some parts, it was still awesome... Can't wait to see the actual SP!!

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  19. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

20. eternitygoddess

eternitygoddess Active Member

Oh gawd, I'm really disappointed with her SP costume. Yuna usually has the best skating outfits out of all the ladies (Kiss of the Vampire and her Olympics costumes were gorgeous), and I was really looking forwards to seeing her outfits for this seasons.

That mustard yellow is unflattering. Ugh.

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I agree. The dress would have been nice in another color. Also, tights over boots are just :scream:

22. pinkhulk

pinkhulk New Member

I'm not feeling the dress either. I hope she ditches the color and design for an upgrade.

23. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

i wasn't expecting yellow. :wideeyes:

24. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

I just watched some dress rehearsal vids, and the color seems too muted for my taste. OTOH, someone actually in the stands says that the dress is pretty spectacular live.

25. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

26. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

What did Tarasova call Sasha Cohen's 2004 Malaguena costume? "Egg-yolk on ice" :rofl: And yet it worked out perfectly in her favor. ;) At least it's not orange.

27. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

28. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

29. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

Tuk skating now.

30. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Right, but the skaters in her SP warm-up are presumably the same level -senior international. It was just interesting to see them acting more like I do when junior or senior level skaters on my FS sessions are doing run-throughs instead :).