Yuna Kim announces new programs for 2013-14 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Fabrichnova

Fabrichnova Active Member

I'm going to echo the agreement with Zemgirl that these music choices are hardly groundbreaking or innovative. And that there's even a debate to the contrary is just... :lol: But still good choices for Yuna; I'm looking forward to seeing what she does with these pieces.

2. munow

munow New Member

No one said these choices are groundbreaking in the first place if I remember correctly. :zzz:

Exaggerating much?

They, the short program in particular, are just somewhat different from what I've seen though in the endless lists of the most known Russian composers (Tchaik, Rach), Romeo and Juliet, Samson and Delilah and so on

3. invierno

invierno Member

IIRC, one poster used 'unconventional', several agreed and now words like groundbreaking and innovative are thrown all over. :shuffle:

4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

t.mann originally referred to Yuna Kim's music choices as (along with Dai) "the most fresh and non-conservative" (see below):

Several posters, myself included, took that to mean that t.mann felt that these were original and unique choices, and used these and similar terms in explaining why we disagreed. So yes, the responses were in line with the original comment, and I'm not sure why some posters find this confusing.

As you can see from the following quote, t.mann eventually explained that the original post was in reference to Dai and Yuna choosing not to repeat programs or choose Russian composers - though FWIW, I think V/M, to use a notable example, managed to choose pieces by Russian composers and still be original about it - and not to these being particularly unusual choices (thanks for clarifying, BTW).

I am not sure who and what is included in the "endless lists" of Russian composers and R&J, to be honest, not to mention that skating to a less frequently used piece by a well-known composer (e.g. Chan with Elegie) is hardly comparable to picking a warhorse.

5. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

who said what or what said who... there can't be any grey area where common grounds are made. always the destination of Yuna threads:fragile:

6. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

double post

7. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

My only criticism of Yu-Na last season was the lack of emotional impact.....the short program seemed almost purposely cold and glacial (which I found vaguely appealing) but the long really lacked the emotional abandon I would normally associate with Les Miserables.

Send in the Clowns is a deeply moving piece, as is Adios Nonino ("farewell granddad")...so I hope we see some more generous expression from her this season. :)

8. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Thinking V/M, I inserted 'among singles' in my sentence. ;) (As for reusing, I really welcome for Abbott's Muse program.)

-------------------------------------------------
    It felt fresh for me that BIG names such as Dai, Yuna will make the grand finale of their career doing a British pop & an Argentine tango at Olympics in Russia with rich classical musics (that they could a little depend on the greatness oozing out of).
    That said, I wish that I had used 'less-safe' instead of somewhat strong words like fresh & not-conservative. :D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  9. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I know - I just feel that they're a good example of how choosing music by a Russian composer doesn't have to be a "safe" option. BTW, I didn't get the impression that Russians composers are as common a choice this season as some have suggested; not unusual, either, but not to the point were every other skater is doing Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff. Tangos have been a popular choice for years and I can definitely see why they'd appeal to Yuna and to other skaters.

(I think less-safe would have had the same effect ;))

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  10. zebobes

zebobes Active Member

I hate to be the nitpicky one, but “Send in the Clowns” is written by the American Broadway composer, Stephen Sondheim. :shuffle:

11. t.mann

t.mann New Member

I was referring to Dai's Beatles LP. (the grand finale = their LPs at Olympics)

This consecutive misunderstandings on my posts.
    Where are you, a FSU angel falling_dance who has ever read my mind from my vague post?! :D

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Actually last year I feel she lacked the strong body language (arms, etc) to convey a cold tone but despite being rather bland facial expressions I felt she was successful with using her arms and body to depict the tragedy that was Les Miserables.

For both her short and long this coming season, how she uses her arms will be key. (I am hoping for Lark Ascending arms for the short and Tango de Roxanne arms for the long)

13. Keftiu

Keftiu New Member

Have you guys seen this new montage of Yuna Kim?
    A fan of Yuna made this fabulous one and uploaded in youtube.
    I was captivated by this Adios Nonino montage and I just want to share this with you :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1rcs9dk1I

spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  14. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I think both pieces of music lend themselves to a “classic” skating program if the choreography and performance work. As far as innovation, I am having difficulty in imagining how Send in the Clowns could result in an innovative performance. Maybe if she went all art house with it. However, the tango piece - if used with a lot of monster foot work - could be ground breaking since single female skaters aren’t known for their footwork.

15. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Savchenko/Szolkowy's SP to 'Send in the Clowns' a few years back was certainly innovative...but I hope that Yuna will not paint her face like a clown, as Alyona & Robin did.

AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I think Yuna has more sense then that. :lol:

17. Suze

Suze New Member

I am in absolute agreement about Adios Nonino for her LP and await it with much eagerness and excitement. I'm not so happy with Send in the Clowns for her SP. I just loved her 2009 Danse Macabre short so much and was hoping she would go that route again: haunting but fun and upbeat. How sad to think these will be the last programs we will see from her.

18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It's kind of like her programs from her final year as a junior (where she made her first big splash worldwide) but in reverse. She did Tango de Roxanne for her SP and Papa, Can You Here Me? for her LP. Now's she's skating to a ballad from a musical for her SP and a tango for her LP.

19. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I enjoyed the face-painting of S/S. I hope Yuna rocks out some god-awful make-up for her SP :cheer:

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Reuters article titled "Olympics-Ice queen Yuna hones routines ahead of Sochi swan song": http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/30/olympics-sochi-korea-idUSL3N0IK18P20131030
    ETA:
    This was the Reuters article, dated September 26, in which Kim's foot injury was revealed and caused her to withdraw from her 2 Grand Prix events: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/26/us-figure-skating-yuna-idUSBRE98P0DD20130926

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  21. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Only 100 days! Holy cow. :wideeyes:

22. MysticHaze

MysticHaze Member

23. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

24. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Since I am from Zagreb, I guess I will be your person on the rink side.
    Golden spin is getting better and better reputation. Last year Kostner, this year Yu Na.

l'etoile, Robeye, ioana and 5 others like this.
  25. Sylvia

26. tetana

tetana New Member

Thank you for sharing your information. MysticHaze and Sylvia. I hope I can see 100%recovered Yuna and good programs in the next month.

27. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Wow, even as reigning world champion it won't be enough? Sometimes, I wish there was some sort of rule where medallist from the previous world championships automatically get slotted in the final groups for the short program in a subsequent Olympics or Worlds... although I'm not entirely sure how the rankings and points system works. (I'm assuming it's because she pulled out of her grand prix events that she does not have enough points.. and also didn't do grand prix last year)

But even then, skating earlier in Sochi will not hurt her, last year the scores for skating earlier were a little lower maybe because she had been out for a year completely, but this time around, she is reigning world champ. and I think skating clean, she will hit high scores ala Shen/Zhao at the 2010 olympics even skating 1st.

28. darya_russian

darya_russian Active Member

Also at last Olympics Shen&Zhao skated first in the SP and it didn't hurt their score in the slightest. Being a reigning world champion surely will help Yuna get the score no matter when she scores. Also skating before the rest of the main competitors may put a pressure on them.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  29. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Yay, reports would be much appreciated if you could get around to them!

30. Sylvia

@patinaggio is tweeting from Golden Spin of Zagreb practices today:
    Golden Spin competition thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...en-Spin-of-Zagreb-Croatia-5-8th-December-2013

Robeye and (deleted member) like this.