Yuna Kim announces new programs for 2013-14 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 26, 2013.

1. os168

os168 Active Member

Uh... this is the COP, name 3 ground breaking programs this year, last year, or even just under the COP system. It is likely to have been repeated somewhere. It is about how you do it, not what you do anyway.

This Tango as a LP is very unconventional and challenging.

It is also about relativity... it is certainly more interesting than compare to something like another Warhorse piece for Sochi, e.g Scheherazade ;P

2. mathil

mathil Active Member

It's nice when someone writes exactly what I wanted to say and I just have to quote ;)

3. miki88

miki88 New Member

Then perhaps we should wait to see the actual programs before deeming it interesting and groundbreaking? ;)

I feel like I have seen enough skaters performing to Adios Nonino for it to reach Warhorse level for me. Personally, I also find Scheherazade to be a boring choice but that doesn't mean skaters can't make it interesting. Perhaps, making a warhorse piece interesting and skating to an risky, original piece are equally challenging.

4. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Libertango is definitely NOT a warhorse like Carmen and such. It's in the 'it-pops-up-occasionally' category. I can only imagine what a drop-dead-gorgeous dress Yuna may wear for this with her ultra-long limbs. :watch:

Robeye and (deleted member) like this.
  5. karlon

karlon New Member

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  6. os168

os168 Active Member

Except no one claim the music choice is ground breaking before the accusation got thrown around.
    Unless in your dictionary 'non-conservative' = 'ground breaking'. Talk about over exaggeration to nit pick.

There have certainly been many skate to tango music, 1-2 seasons ago was practically the year of the tangos including by Kostner. Adios has been performed by Liza and Kanaco's as well, but none of them manage to make even a slight dint on El Tango de Roxanne Yuna's senior debut program, with a world record and set the tone for her particular brand of sensational program. It is kind of fitting she bid farewell to the sport with another tango to book end a great career (written as a farewell piece), and remind people how it can be done (at least I hope. Nothing is guaranteed in skating.)

7. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

The discussion is about original music choices, not programs. For instance, many fans felt that V/M were able to perform a very unique and fresh take on Carmen, and that's as warhorsey as you can get in skating.

I will take on your challenge, however, and list more original music choices. Savchenko/Szolkowy's SP music was composed especially for them, so obviously that hasn't been done before. Eric Radford composed the music he and Meaghan Duhamel are using for their - SP, I think? - so that's not been done before, either. Carolina Kostner is skating her SP to Dvořák's Humoresque, I don't recall that one used by any high profile skaters, at least not recently. Two seasons ago she used that Shostakovitch piece for her SP, I didn't actually think anyone could skate to it until I saw her do it. Last season, Kavaguti and Smirnov skated to February by Leonid Levashkevich, which I don't believe anyone else has used. Patrick Chan's Elegie SP was and is a fairly original choice.

It may certainly be challenging, but it is not unconventional. There's nothing wrong with a skater challenging themselves to interpret a better known piece (see my example of Dai and Blues for Klook earlier); I only object to the characterization of the music in such cases as fresh and unconventional.

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

By popping up occasionally, do you mean every time the OD/SD rhythm has a tango? ;)

9. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I feel some people overrate the role of the skaters in the choice of the music for their new programs. I really have trouble to believe that Send In The Clowns was Yuna's choice for that matter. Wilson worked with Savchenko/Szolkowy/Steuer this summer and maybe this made him watch or rewatch some of S/S's programs and was inspired by their Send in The Clowns. Also, Adios Nonino is not a new piece for Wilson. As far as Takahashi's The Beatles, again I have my doubts it would have been Takahashi's suggestion to Nichol. Lori is one of the choreographers who leave the choice of music to her students much less than other choreographers. She said something to that effect in a conversation with PJ Kwong that can be found on youtube. The Beatles isn't completely new for Nichol either, she choreographed an ex program for Patrick Chan to Yesterday when Chan was 17 or something. Oh, and does anyone really think Kostner was dying to skate to Sheherazade? lol

10. os168

os168 Active Member

I still think you are nitpicking and making a mountain out of mole hill and frankly I question your motivation.

It is not like she has not chosen original materials before, take her Homage to Korea, it was cut out of 4-5 different music track not even from the same genre, composer or periods. Same with Les Mis, the entire structure of the program have been re arched for an unfamiliar cut music program. Kiss of the Vampire was entirely out of the box, a little known Hammers movie sound effect no one heard of (to many probably unskatable) to compete against the world's greatest recognized master works. There are no safety net for these choices.

You mentioned she was more original in her last Olympics, yet you can apply the same argument you are using now to them as well. Bond never used? Gershwin in F? Humoresque hasn't been used for skating, but it is certainly one of the most famous classical music around. Certainly in many of UK's commercials. I love the fact composers can write music for individual skaters, or that skaters can find music that have never been skated before, but why should you measure anyone against these impossible standards out of a 'non-conservative' comment?

Again, I have always maintained it is not what you do but how you do it that counts, so just wait for the programs first.

BTW I disagree with you, Shostakovitch music is very skateable, it has good obvious allegretto / staccato structure - steady brisk rhythm that can carry the performance and it is also great to hide lack of finesse, nuance and subtlety which are among Kostner's greatest weaknesses on top of her lack of consistency. The meaning and music intention of the composer however is entirely lost on the performance, it is not a particular deep reading of the music beyond form.

Lori is the master of packaging under the COP and that is why she works great with Kostner who has
    certainly many merit to her skating but finesse and subtlety are not her strength. I really like her Humoresque choice however, it is one of those simple pieces of delightful music that can say so much about the depth and the maturity of performer and their personality, I may be proven wrong, since there are tons of opportunity to display finesse and subtlety if she allows it.

11. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

At least there is no vocal music this year because I couldn't handle having to listen to Judy Collins drone on while attempting to watch Yuna skate.

12. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

:rofl: My motivation is that I disagreed with the assertion that Yuna Kim's music choices this season are original/fresh/unconventional/"non-conservative"/whatever compared to those of other skaters. I'm not sure why you find it so difficult to accept that someone might not share your views on this matter and would wish to share their point of view on a discussion forum.

The rest of your post I won't even address, as you're obviously very much invested in trying to persuade me (and others) that Yuna Kim is superior in all ways to all skaters, and I'm not interested. Suffice to say that I think Yuna is a very talented skater, but not a perfect one as some of her fans seem to believe. FWIW, I don't think the over the top gushing is going to convince anyone, but it may be a turnoff for many.

13. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

For the record, Yuna stated that S/S's Send In The Clowns was one of her favorite programs several times. This piece was also one of tracks listed in a classical compilation album Queen on Ice, whose tracks were handpicked by Yuna, back in 2011.

14. os168

os168 Active Member

Uh... yes indeed this IS a discussion forum. So why must you insist yours is discussing, but mine must be assertion? It works both ways mate. I have no problem with people share their views, I disagree with them just fine, but apparently you clearly have problem with me sharing mine. Anyways hope there are no hard feelings. It is just skating talk.

15. invierno

invierno Member

I love Yuna's choices for this last season.

Send in the Clown suits her lyrical style very well. Maybe it will be something like Meditation or Once Upon a Dream? As long as she doesn't wear a clown costume, I'm so happy with this music! When she(and David) gave a hint for her SP music as 'happiness and sadness', the first thing came to my mind was Charlie Chaplin, so I wasn't totally wrong! ;D (well, maybe about 10% right...? ;p)

As for Adios Nonino, I'm glad she's doing another Tango with more complicated and mature music. I feel that it is not an easy music to interpret, and can't wait to see her version of it.

About her music choices fresh/unconventional debate, my two cents: It's not totally original as in 'Oh my gosh is it even stakable?!'(but really, how many such selections do we have to begin with?), but it is definitely unconventional in my opinion. During last spring and summer when people were all guessing about possible music selections, about how many war horses and Russian composers will be chosen, among Carmen, S & D, R & J, Scheherazade, Phantom, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, and so forth, I don't think any body ever mentioned Adios Nonino, let alone Send in the Clown. So yes, it's on the unconventional side enough for me. :)

os168 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Wasn't part of Murakami's LP this past season to Adios? Or am I getting confused?

17. t.mann

t.mann New Member

I did not mean Yuna & Dai's music choices are special & original & groundbreaking. (Actually, I don't find Yuna's SP music choice interesting.)
    I 'simply' was giving them bonus points for not-reusing previous musics and not-choosing Russian composers etc. at Olympic & their last season.
    Maybe I should have written my post with more detail.

18. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

That is correct as her LP was a Piazolla tango medley.

19. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

:confused:

20. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I think it's interesting that both Yu-Na and Mao are skating to lyrical pieces for their SP. Both are in strong contrast with what they skated to for their SPs back in 2009-2010. Yu-Na went with Bond and Mao with a revamped Masquerade. Both were bigger pieces that left a bigger, grander impression on the ice.

I like that they're both doing for beauty and subtlety in their last season. I think Nocturne is the epitome of Mao's skating and I think Clowns will be a beautiful showcase for Yu-Na's lyrical side...

21. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

Great choices for Yuna. :respec:
    ('Tango Yuna' is Back!!! Yay~ :biggrinbo:rockstar::encore:)
    Good luck to Yuna and her final season. :)

22. torren

torren New Member

delete

23. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

The most important is to have a music you feel comfortable with. That's why Classical music is the most used because it calms you down, or enjoyable music because it gives you energy. But if Yu Na Kim loves Adios Nonino, it can be a perfect choice for an Olympic year. ;)

24. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I agree--the music is hardly ground-breaking. I'm sure that she will do well with both pieces, but they are not particularly original choices. I also think that, in the scoring system as it is currently constructed, it is difficult to do a really memorable short program no matter what the music is. The spiral sequence should be brought back, but without the ridiculous requirements that caused every skater to do the same foot-grabbing sequence.

25. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Not a fan of 'Send in the Clowns', but love Adios Nonino for her.
    I remember Tonya Harding skated to SITC as one part of her 1991 Medley. I loved every bit of that performance EXCEPT the Send in the Clowns part.

I loved Lu Chen's SP to Adios Nonino. She really captured the attitude of it.

26. Loves_Shizuka

Yea Chen worked that music. My favourite so far.

27. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about that! It was a lovely program.

Watching it I realize how familiar the music has become to me in the last two years. Liza T used it and then Kanako rocked it last year too (the final part of her FS). I don't think it's particularly difficult music to skate to but it is obviously a little out of her comfort zone...or at least they've made the program complex enough to be a challenge. I'm interested to see what Yu-Na and David do with it.

28. Loves_Shizuka

I had forgotten Tuk had used it too.

29. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I am very excited about "Send in the Clowns". I think it will be a wonderful program - and the song always makes me cry - well, when Glynnis Johns sings it, anyway.

The Adios - well, for me, it could go Adios. I listened to it (thanks for the link), and didn't realize I was very familiar with it. I think I just don't like Tango Skates. I think to do a tango and pull it off, you have to be a Kostner or Witt. You really need the 'tude, and have to skate 110% with that tude. Wagner could maybe do it.

I love Yu-Na, just doesn't seem like a good match.

30. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

You spoke for me!