Yuna Kim announces new programs for 2013-14 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

At least there is no vocal music this year because I couldn't handle having to listen to Judy Collins drone on while attempting to watch Yuna skate.
  2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

:rofl: My motivation is that I disagreed with the assertion that Yuna Kim's music choices this season are original/fresh/unconventional/"non-conservative"/whatever compared to those of other skaters. I'm not sure why you find it so difficult to accept that someone might not share your views on this matter and would wish to share their point of view on a discussion forum.

The rest of your post I won't even address, as you're obviously very much invested in trying to persuade me (and others) that Yuna Kim is superior in all ways to all skaters, and I'm not interested. Suffice to say that I think Yuna is a very talented skater, but not a perfect one as some of her fans seem to believe. FWIW, I don't think the over the top gushing is going to convince anyone, but it may be a turnoff for many.
  3. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

For the record, Yuna stated that S/S's Send In The Clowns was one of her favorite programs several times. This piece was also one of tracks listed in a classical compilation album Queen on Ice, whose tracks were handpicked by Yuna, back in 2011.
  4. os168

os168 Active Member

Uh... yes indeed this IS a discussion forum. So why must you insist yours is discussing, but mine must be assertion? It works both ways mate. I have no problem with people share their views, I disagree with them just fine, but apparently you clearly have problem with me sharing mine. Anyways hope there are no hard feelings. It is just skating talk.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  5. invierno

invierno New Member

I love Yuna's choices for this last season.

Send in the Clown suits her lyrical style very well. Maybe it will be something like Meditation or Once Upon a Dream? As long as she doesn't wear a clown costume, I'm so happy with this music! When she(and David) gave a hint for her SP music as 'happiness and sadness', the first thing came to my mind was Charlie Chaplin, so I wasn't totally wrong! ;D (well, maybe about 10% right...? ;p)

As for Adios Nonino, I'm glad she's doing another Tango with more complicated and mature music. I feel that it is not an easy music to interpret, and can't wait to see her version of it.

About her music choices fresh/unconventional debate, my two cents: It's not totally original as in 'Oh my gosh is it even stakable?!'(but really, how many such selections do we have to begin with?), but it is definitely unconventional in my opinion. During last spring and summer when people were all guessing about possible music selections, about how many war horses and Russian composers will be chosen, among Carmen, S & D, R & J, Scheherazade, Phantom, Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninoff, and so forth, I don't think any body ever mentioned Adios Nonino, let alone Send in the Clown. So yes, it's on the unconventional side enough for me. :)
    os168 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

Wasn't part of Murakami's LP this past season to Adios? Or am I getting confused?
  7. t.mann

t.mann New Member

I did not mean Yuna & Dai's music choices are special & original & groundbreaking. (Actually, I don't find Yuna's SP music choice interesting.)
    I 'simply' was giving them bonus points for not-reusing previous musics and not-choosing Russian composers etc. at Olympic & their last season.
    Maybe I should have written my post with more detail.
  8. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

That is correct as her LP was a Piazolla tango medley.
  9. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

:confused:
  10. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I think it's interesting that both Yu-Na and Mao are skating to lyrical pieces for their SP. Both are in strong contrast with what they skated to for their SPs back in 2009-2010. Yu-Na went with Bond and Mao with a revamped Masquerade. Both were bigger pieces that left a bigger, grander impression on the ice.

I like that they're both doing for beauty and subtlety in their last season. I think Nocturne is the epitome of Mao's skating and I think Clowns will be a beautiful showcase for Yu-Na's lyrical side...
  11. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

Great choices for Yuna. :respec:
    ('Tango Yuna' is Back!!! Yay~ :biggrinbo:rockstar::encore:)
    Good luck to Yuna and her final season. :)
  12. torren

torren New Member

delete
  13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

The most important is to have a music you feel comfortable with. That's why Classical music is the most used because it calms you down, or enjoyable music because it gives you energy. But if Yu Na Kim loves Adios Nonino, it can be a perfect choice for an Olympic year. ;)
  14. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I agree--the music is hardly ground-breaking. I'm sure that she will do well with both pieces, but they are not particularly original choices. I also think that, in the scoring system as it is currently constructed, it is difficult to do a really memorable short program no matter what the music is. The spiral sequence should be brought back, but without the ridiculous requirements that caused every skater to do the same foot-grabbing sequence.
  15. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Not a fan of 'Send in the Clowns', but love Adios Nonino for her.
    I remember Tonya Harding skated to SITC as one part of her 1991 Medley. I loved every bit of that performance EXCEPT the Send in the Clowns part.

I loved Lu Chen's SP to Adios Nonino. She really captured the attitude of it.
  16. Loves_Shizuka

Yea Chen worked that music. My favourite so far.
  17. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'd forgotten about that! It was a lovely program.

Watching it I realize how familiar the music has become to me in the last two years. Liza T used it and then Kanako rocked it last year too (the final part of her FS). I don't think it's particularly difficult music to skate to but it is obviously a little out of her comfort zone...or at least they've made the program complex enough to be a challenge. I'm interested to see what Yu-Na and David do with it.
  18. Loves_Shizuka

I had forgotten Tuk had used it too.
  19. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I am very excited about "Send in the Clowns". I think it will be a wonderful program - and the song always makes me cry - well, when Glynnis Johns sings it, anyway.

The Adios - well, for me, it could go Adios. I listened to it (thanks for the link), and didn't realize I was very familiar with it. I think I just don't like Tango Skates. I think to do a tango and pull it off, you have to be a Kostner or Witt. You really need the 'tude, and have to skate 110% with that tude. Wagner could maybe do it.

I love Yu-Na, just doesn't seem like a good match.
  20. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

You spoke for me!
  21. Fabrichnova

Fabrichnova New Member

I'm going to echo the agreement with Zemgirl that these music choices are hardly groundbreaking or innovative. And that there's even a debate to the contrary is just... :lol: But still good choices for Yuna; I'm looking forward to seeing what she does with these pieces.
  22. munow

munow New Member

No one said these choices are groundbreaking in the first place if I remember correctly. :zzz:

Exaggerating much?

They, the short program in particular, are just somewhat different from what I've seen though in the endless lists of the most known Russian composers (Tchaik, Rach), Romeo and Juliet, Samson and Delilah and so on
  23. invierno

invierno New Member

IIRC, one poster used 'unconventional', several agreed and now words like groundbreaking and innovative are thrown all over. :shuffle:
  24. Zemgirl

t.mann originally referred to Yuna Kim's music choices as (along with Dai) "the most fresh and non-conservative" (see below):

Several posters, myself included, took that to mean that t.mann felt that these were original and unique choices, and used these and similar terms in explaining why we disagreed. So yes, the responses were in line with the original comment, and I'm not sure why some posters find this confusing.

As you can see from the following quote, t.mann eventually explained that the original post was in reference to Dai and Yuna choosing not to repeat programs or choose Russian composers - though FWIW, I think V/M, to use a notable example, managed to choose pieces by Russian composers and still be original about it - and not to these being particularly unusual choices (thanks for clarifying, BTW).

I am not sure who and what is included in the "endless lists" of Russian composers and R&J, to be honest, not to mention that skating to a less frequently used piece by a well-known composer (e.g. Chan with Elegie) is hardly comparable to picking a warhorse.
  25. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

who said what or what said who... there can't be any grey area where common grounds are made. always the destination of Yuna threads:fragile:
  26. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

double post
  27. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

My only criticism of Yu-Na last season was the lack of emotional impact.....the short program seemed almost purposely cold and glacial (which I found vaguely appealing) but the long really lacked the emotional abandon I would normally associate with Les Miserables.

Send in the Clowns is a deeply moving piece, as is Adios Nonino ("farewell granddad")...so I hope we see some more generous expression from her this season. :)
  28. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Thinking V/M, I inserted 'among singles' in my sentence. ;) (As for reusing, I really welcome for Abbott's Muse program.)

-------------------------------------------------
    It felt fresh for me that BIG names such as Dai, Yuna will make the grand finale of their career doing a British pop & an Argentine tango at Olympics in Russia with rich classical musics (that they could a little depend on the greatness oozing out of).
    That said, I wish that I had used 'less-safe' instead of somewhat strong words like fresh & not-conservative. :D
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  29. Zemgirl

I know - I just feel that they're a good example of how choosing music by a Russian composer doesn't have to be a "safe" option. BTW, I didn't get the impression that Russians composers are as common a choice this season as some have suggested; not unusual, either, but not to the point were every other skater is doing Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff. Tangos have been a popular choice for years and I can definitely see why they'd appeal to Yuna and to other skaters.

(I think less-safe would have had the same effect ;))
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  30. zebobes

zebobes Active Member

I hate to be the nitpicky one, but “Send in the Clowns” is written by the American Broadway composer, Stephen Sondheim. :shuffle:
  31. t.mann

t.mann New Member

I was referring to Dai's Beatles LP. (the grand finale = their LPs at Olympics)

This consecutive misunderstandings on my posts.
    Where are you, a FSU angel falling_dance who has ever read my mind from my vague post?! :D
  32. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Actually last year I feel she lacked the strong body language (arms, etc) to convey a cold tone but despite being rather bland facial expressions I felt she was successful with using her arms and body to depict the tragedy that was Les Miserables.

For both her short and long this coming season, how she uses her arms will be key. (I am hoping for Lark Ascending arms for the short and Tango de Roxanne arms for the long)
  33. Keftiu

Keftiu New Member

Have you guys seen this new montage of Yuna Kim?
    A fan of Yuna made this fabulous one and uploaded in youtube.
    I was captivated by this Adios Nonino montage and I just want to share this with you :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in1rcs9dk1I
    spikydurian and (deleted member) like this.
  34. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I think both pieces of music lend themselves to a “classic” skating program if the choreography and performance work. As far as innovation, I am having difficulty in imagining how Send in the Clowns could result in an innovative performance. Maybe if she went all art house with it. However, the tango piece - if used with a lot of monster foot work - could be ground breaking since single female skaters aren’t known for their footwork.
  35. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Savchenko/Szolkowy's SP to 'Send in the Clowns' a few years back was certainly innovative...but I hope that Yuna will not paint her face like a clown, as Alyona & Robin did.
    AndyWarhol and (deleted member) like this.
  36. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I think Yuna has more sense then that. :lol:
  37. Suze

Suze New Member

I am in absolute agreement about Adios Nonino for her LP and await it with much eagerness and excitement. I'm not so happy with Send in the Clowns for her SP. I just loved her 2009 Danse Macabre short so much and was hoping she would go that route again: haunting but fun and upbeat. How sad to think these will be the last programs we will see from her.
  38. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It's kind of like her programs from her final year as a junior (where she made her first big splash worldwide) but in reverse. She did Tango de Roxanne for her SP and Papa, Can You Here Me? for her LP. Now's she's skating to a ballad from a musical for her SP and a tango for her LP.
  39. Loves_Shizuka

I enjoyed the face-painting of S/S. I hope Yuna rocks out some god-awful make-up for her SP :cheer:
    Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  40. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Reuters article titled "Olympics-Ice queen Yuna hones routines ahead of Sochi swan song": http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/30/olympics-sochi-korea-idUSL3N0IK18P20131030
    ETA:
    This was the Reuters article, dated September 26, in which Kim's foot injury was revealed and caused her to withdraw from her 2 Grand Prix events: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/26/us-figure-skating-yuna-idUSBRE98P0DD20130926
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013