Yuna Kim announces new programs for 2013-14 season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

2. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

i hope the choreography of Adios Nonino is strong and yet passionate and it will be a challenge for her because she never skate a clean program in the lp that is not soft and lyrical

send in the clowns is such a beautiful piece which is interesting because yuna never skated to a soft and not upbeat music in the sp
  3. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

Not sure I'd call Les Mis soft or lyrical. It had a 'slow' middle section with "On My Own" but the rest can hardly be called 'soft'. On the other hand, "Home to Korea" and the "Lark Ascending" were much more lyrical/soft and yet she wasn't clean. I don't think Yuna going clean has anything to do with the music...
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

'Send in the clowns' should be a beautiful program. I look forward to it.

I am not familiar with the LP music.
  5. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

I think Adios Nonino is a fantastic LP choice for Yuna :cheer: ...I'm more hesitant about the SP choice, it's a great piece, but not something I'd associate with Yuna, I'm sure she will make me warm up to it though.
  6. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

send in the clowns without a hoop is kind of a let down
  8. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

I will root for her if she goes full on clown make-up and paints a single tear on her cheek.
  9. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Jeffrey Buttle skated to Adios Nonino but it was the short program for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsphwWu1B2s
  10. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Cool choices! Can't wait for the programs. I'm not a huge fan of Send in the Clowns (love Sondheim, but I think it's his weakest song), but I think it could work well for Yu-Na.
  11. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

:D
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

13. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Absolutely, I wish it was the contrary : Send in the clowns as LP and Adios Nonino as SP !
  14. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

i love this version... can' t wait!

yuna said that this lp is the most difficult program she's ever done.. so it will be interesting what kind of choreography david wilson did for her..
  15. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

yeah, 'send in the clowns' revival at the olympics. such a greta program of s/s, i expect the same of yu-na kim. for myself, gorgeous choices, i'm really looking forward to see her skating to this
  17. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Challenging choice for LP.
    This music is difficult to interpret, and (while being a very beautiful music) is somewhat boring. Even Buttle‘s brilliant ‘short‘ program (which is not LP like Yuna) gave me ‘zzZ‘ moments.
    Piazzolla pieces such as Oblivion, Milonga Del Angel etc. would be more ear-catching to audience and less difficult to interpret.

Anyway, among singles Yuna‘s music choices with Dai‘s are the most fresh and not-conservative.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  18. puretea

puretea New Member

Kim Yu-na announces new programs for upcoming season
    http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20130826000745

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I wanna bet Yuna will be heavily pressured to come back in 2018, especially if the current young girls fail to live up to their promises.
  20. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Both music choices sound good to me. Clowns is a classic piece and I think she'll be able to pull it off very nicely. Kanako Murakami's skated to Piazzolla last season for her FS and used Adios Nonino as one of her selections. I think Yu-Na's Tango de Roxanne was one of her strongest programs and she definitely able to pull off the tango feel without a problem. I'm glad she views the program as difficult. Even though she could easily coast to Sochi if she wanted to, it's nice to see her still challenging herself.
  21. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

I'm glad that she will be skating to music that she loves.
  22. torren

torren New Member

I can't understand skaters like those
    In other words, It means they already have disadvantages
    It's an olympic season. they don't know?
  23. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Sometimes safe isn't always better. 90% of the skaters who are aiming to go to the Olympics are going to be playing it safe this year. I'm more impressed by the 10% who try something new/unconventional. In the end I think it's better b/c it will help them to stand out more among the zillion warhorses we've seen 60 billion times already.
  24. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

What's so special and different about her music choices? Both have been done before multiple times - and Adios Nonino has also been used in an LP (e.g. Laura Lepisto). If anything, I think her choices for the previous Olympic season were more original. Dai's SP is an original choice, but a Beatles program is not groundbreaking, either (though hopefully he will bring something fresh to it, as he was able to do with Blues for Klook).

I know Yuna fans think everything she does is brilliant, and I believe that the SP music - and possibly the LP as well - may work very well for her. But to go so far as calling them the freshest, most non-conservative choices is rather hyperbolic. Unless you mean music choices over their whole careers? But I don't think that works, either.
  25. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Adios Nonino is FIERCE music for a kick-arse LP. Love it! Perfect choices for Yuna. I'm really looking forward to this.
  26. os168

os168 Active Member

Real leaders of the sport should take more initiatives and risks, not tried and tested formulas. It should be as much as to go out to get 'it' as oppose to not 'letting it go'.

I am not surprised my favourite skaters all ends up making the music choices I like the best, Yuna, Dai and Jeremy. Sad to see Hanyu missing his sparkle this year, repeat both his programs (even if is to a different music, it is still Romeo).
  27. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

I agree. I think those two pieces will work very well for Yuna, but they are hardly groundbreaking.
  28. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued by her LP - Adios isn't necessarily good LP music to me, though I did like Lepisto's programme, even if that musical arrangement wasn't particularly to my taste. It's potentially quite a samey piece of music; however I remember seeing a live modern interpretative dance set to it, and it was WONDERFUL - vibrant, energetic and passsionate. I hope Yu-Na can bring even a little of that.

:confused:
  29. miki88

miki88 New Member

I am also a little puzzled by this. Both pieces have been used by skaters at previous Olympics. Adios Nonino has become a pretty standard Tango piece in skating. Lulu's version remains the best for me personally.
  30. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Didn't Gao skate to Adios Nonino last year...or am I mixing it up with Libertango? If so, maybe it's not too late for Yuna to incorporate a little Libertango into the mix. Libertango is totally fierce.

p.s. - Adios Nonino was fantastic music for LuChen in 98 (SP) and Tuktamysheva in 11/12. It's fierce enough and should serve Yuna well.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013