Yuna Kim announces her comeback to competitive skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by RumbleFish, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

Oh yes. Yu-na for the win. I'd love it if she could defend that title. I have nothing against the Russians - but I have everything against the "let's have 50 girls work on 3-3s and most difficult jumps - most of them will never make it, but as long as one comes through in the right time period between eligibility and onset of puberty and wins that Gold, we just don't care." - mentality. I know it's the nature of the sport, I know that it happens in most countries, in the sports of gymnastics and skating - but I still don't like it. I was very happy that Asada and Kim were 19 by the time they skated their first Olympics - and I would really like them to face each other again in Sochi as "mature" ladies in their early twenties.
  2. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Not sure what you point it. I think every skater who is advanced enough would work on triple-triple. No matter whether it is in Russia, Japan or USA. At this moment Russia has quite a lot of them advanced enough to do triple-triple, but a few years ago it was USA who appeared having a lot of very promising ladies (Zhang, Nagasu, Flatt, Wagner...), podium sweep at Junior worlds etc. And your remark "let's have 50 girls work on 3-3s and most difficult jumps" - do you think that any skating federation is making them work on this? :confused: You are right that the federation (of any country) will not be much interested in those who don't make it, and that as long as they get the medals, they don't really care who brought them. But I think that's the same everywhere. How much does US skating federation care about Flatt now?
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. shah

shah Well-Known Member

I'll believe it when I see it...but I can't help feeling somewhat excited :). :cheer:
  4. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

I'm very shocked to hear this considering her previous injury, doesn't she still have to make sure she doesn't over train or something to that effect because of it? Or maybe the injury is no longer an issue? Hopefully this is something she really wants and not just someone pressuring her.
    I'm very excited to see her skate again, Sochi with her trying to defend her title is going to be amazing.
  5. skipaway

skipaway Well-Known Member

Will be very happy to see her in London 2013! I wish her well in her comeback attempt.
  6. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Color me the deepest shade of shocked!:eek: I just didn't think it was possible it but I'm thrilled to know she plans on coming back! Skating needs her. My guess is after watching the field these past two years and seeing where the skating level is now, she took stock of what she's capable of and decided that she has a great chance of repeating...I also think talking to Michelle might have had something to do with it. That decision did come right after her visit! Maybe coincidence, maybe not. Either way, this is great news!:D

Yu-Na's already starting off on the right foot by announcing her intentions in advance. Hopefully she'll start training now to get ready for nationals and worlds; that will help her as she starts preparing for Soichi. History has shown us that half-assed last minute comebacks never work out well so getting started early is a plus for her.

As of now, if Yu-Na can get herself back to 80% of the form she had heading into Vancouver, she'll wipe the floor with everyone. The level of skating she had has yet to be matched since she left which means if she gets most of the way back to form, she'll still be ahead of the curve. There isn't a skater who can go toe-to-toe with her in all categories. Essentially, that means the only person capable of beating Yu-Na is herself. Something pretty drastic would have to happen with the Russians or some of these American newbies in order for them to actually challenge a near full-strength Yu-Na Kim...

She's an athlete so I don't doubt her body will bounce back to competitive form once she starts training again. It's going to be the mental part that she'll really have to work on. That motivation and focus are going to be critical for her...this comeback is going to be 30% physical and 70% mental for her.

As for her programs, I think she should keep her two from 2011--for 2013 worlds at least. Giselle was nice and would get the job done, and Arriang really deserves to be performed to its full potential (which it never was). I wonder if she'll go back to Peter Oppegard or if she'll find someone else...my guess is Orser is out of the question. Sad really, they were such a great team. Makes you think that if they'd ended their partnership on a better note they could have reformed the dream triumvirate of Kim-Orser-Wilson.

I'm very much looking forward to worlds this year (even more now) and I can't wait to see how this comeback plays out. Undoubtedly the rest of the skating world is reacting to this too. No one really thought she was coming back (even a lot of her ubers made peace with it), which means this announcement changes everything going forward. It's so exciting!! :rollin:
  7. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

Did you like read the second part of my post? Where I said that it is done the same way in most countries... I know it is in the nature of the sport - that doesn't mean I have to like it. I actually hate it. And I'll always root for the grown girls to win. If that makes me confused - so be it.

I don't doubt that most of the girls really want to do the highest difficulty. We all know how that ends, in most cases those 3-3s are history, sometimes even before they make it to the senior ranks. We are also talking about 12- to 15-year-olds. They can't vote, can't have sex (at least not legally), can't drink, can't be out past 22 p.m. (curfew for under 16-year-olds in Germany), can't make big purchases on their own - but when it's about huge success / money / honour of the mother country / fame - suddenly destroying their bodies (Female athlete triad), giving up a regular school life etc. - is all their descision. Life is just funny that way.
  8. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I guess Kim saw Kostner's winning skate and reacted the same way Plush did to Buttle and Lysacek's World titles. :lol:

It's smart of her to start the comeback now. Watching Nastia Liukin this weekend was so heartbreaking. You need to give yourself ample time to get back in shape.
  9. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Yes, Yuna is first and foremost, an athlete and that put her in good stead to regain her form leading to Sochi. Not surprising that Kwan may have influenced her, afterall Kwan had all the experience to share with Yuna. Oppegard sounds a likely possibility?? And I think she stands a good chance in medalling (not too sure about gold yet till closer to Sochi and also depending on how the upcoming American and Russian girls can improve). Anyway, it's good to know those who have seemingly retired, are coming back to compete in Sochi. Good for the spectators! Plushenko, Weir and now Yuna. Evan?? I would really love to see him come back for another duel with Plushenko.
  10. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

And Yuna invited her at ATS Spring the very next month to check Kostner's technical level in person to decide her comeback in 2 months later? :rofl:
  11. kwanatic

Yeah, that was tough to watch. :yikes:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You're probably right!
  12. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Hmmm, let's campaign to make rules allowing them the hardest jump doubles. We can all watch them doing double-double, they will be safe...and there will not be any spectators to watch it. Ask those who watch junior worlds - they want to see triples. If there were the highest jumps doubles, they wouldn't bother to watch. You can see kids doing doubles at most rinks around.

I think any sport brings risk of injuries. Where do you draw the line? I understand your concern about athletes destroying their bodies, but what is the solution? Ban all sports? Because as long as there is competition (in any sport), there will always be athletes who are trying to push the boundaries of what skills can be achieved, what human body can do, and there always will be some who will be injured.

But if we come back to this thread - you wrote that you hope that Yu-Na will win, because you are against all the youngsters pushing with all those difficult jumps. But Yu-Na was doing exactly the same at their age. She was also doing triple-triple otherwise she wouldn't win junior worlds. So what makes her different? The fact that now she is older, so it is all forgotten that she did it too?
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  13. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Count me in that, too! Just not long ago I've finally moved on from the hope of her return, and that was NOT EASY.
  14. herehere!

herehere! New Member

hello everyone. usually don't post here much but learned almost everything i know about figure skating from religiously reading your forum for 5-7 ??years...;)feel shy to post here but...:swoon:thought i would share what i translated for those of you who might find this interesting.

Here's my very*** quick casual*** translation of Yuna's statement in its entirety (sorry if you see sp/grammar/translation mistakes):

Hello. I am Yuna Kim, a member of our figure skating national team. Thank you for coming here today in the midst of your busy schedule. I have invited you here so I may speak about my future goals.

I skipped last season and it’s now three months past since that season ended. But I have continued to struggle to figure out what my future goals would be. As I have shared a number of times in the past, once I won the olympic gold, it’s not been easy to look for a motivation to continue skating in competitions. On the other hand, the love and attention from many in my country and figure skating fans continued to grow. To be honest, I felt extremely pressured to receive all your love and attention and it sometimes made me want to escape from it all for just one day.

Also seeing how every word I speak at interviews gathered so much attention–seeing how the public perception is formed in front of my eyes–made me want to step back from it all just a bit. In addition, it was a lot of stress to think about just how much work it takes to keep my body and skills fit to compete. It was so much pressure just to think about making mistakes at these competitions and in turn not being able to fulfil the expectations. It was hard to imagine how I would find a motivation to work and overcome these kinds of pressures that came with training and facing competition results.

My year off from the competition season has been so precious. I trained with here at Taereung with younger representatives of our national figure skating team. I often tried to help them by giving advice on their training, as someone who has walked the same path before them. In return, I was challenged by their hard work on the ice and was given a motivation to continue skating. It made me think that there must be something I can do as a competitive skater for figure skating in Korea. It made me think about all the pressure and stress that I put on myself as a competitive skater with such high expectations. Perhaps what made it so difficult for me to continue skating competitively was this pressure I put on myself, trying to fulfill what this country expects of me. I started to think: What if I lower the expectations on myself just a bit and try to skate for myself? What if that becomes my primary goal I have on the ice? And I thought about how I may regret later on in my life if I stopped my tenure as a competitive skater here because of the pressures and expectations to be at the top.

Now I would like to make a fresh start as a member of our figure skating national team, moving beyond a title “Vancouver Olympic gold medalist.” Please consider me the same as my fellow team members, as a representative of our Korean national figure skating team. I will retire from competitive skating at Sochi. When I was a young skater, I had set Vancouver Olympic as my finish line. But now I would like to extend that finish line. And to finish it wholeheartedly, I would like to recoup and make a fresh start. In addition my retirement, Sochi would represent yet another fresh start for me as I will attempt to join the IOC Athletes’ Commission. As I participated in our efforts to host the winter olympics at Pyeoung Chang, I became excited about the idea of this challenge. Perhaps, then, my retirement from competitive skating at Sochi would mean yet another start for new dreams and goals in life. At Sochi Olympics, my skating career will have been 18 years in running. For that day, I would now like to make a new start today. Thank you.

(original Korean text from: http://sports.news.nate.com/view/20120702n26914)
  15. morqet

morqet Active Member

Thank you for the translation :) It's always sad to hear about how much pressure she feels she is under, but I'm glad to see that this comeback is more for herself rather than for anyone else.
  16. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

Thank you so much. :)
  17. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

The only pending problem seems to be finding a coach.
    She stated that she will train in Korea, but I don't think there is a coach capable of handling skater of her caliber.

I fear the dreadful situation of mummy Kim coaching her daughter full time. :yikes::yikes::yikes:

Idea of coaching oneself and having a parent sit in the kiss-and-cry is one advice I wish Michelle Kwan didn't give her. :scream:
  18. Autumn_girl

Autumn_girl Active Member

I agree with you, hanca, and can only add that if the girls wouldn't do harder jumps at the early age we probably wouldn't see them doing them in seniors too. It's more likely to see a junior skater with full set of triples and 3-3 go through puberty and keep the jumps or get them back later in seniors than a twenty-something skater learn 3-3 from the beginning.

Back to the topic: I really wonder who will be Yuna's new coach. Will she go back to Oppegard? If not, then who? Carroll maybe? Arutyunyan?
  19. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Yuna

When a girl’s in fine fettle, she should win the gold medal,
    And yet myself I reproach.
    Of course I'm presumin' that I could be Wonder Woman,
    If I only had coach.
    I'd be graceful - I'd be gentle and strong on fundamentals
    New heights I’d approach.
    I wouldn’t be so needy .... I’d even be friends with Speedy
    If I only had a coach.

Picture me in Sochi, anointed as the star.

Tanith

All hail Queen Yuna!

Yuna

I hear a beat....How sweet.
    Just to register emotion, jealousy - devotion,
    And really feel the part.
    I could stay young and chipper and I'd really skate a ripper,
    If I only had a coach.

:glamor:
  20. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

I hope that she comes back to skate for herself, and for her own enjoyment and her own goals, and not for any unfairly and ridiculously stressful ones from the Korean federation or from her more scarily "zealous" fans and support team (coughMothercough), Korean or otherwise.

ETA: I had not read the English translation of her statement posted earlier in the thread prior to posting my comment just above. I reiterate the hopes that I expressed for her. IMHO she doesn't have to prove anything else to anyone else, but finding new epportunities and joys in her skating and in associations with other skaters would seem to be healthy motivations and challenges.
  21. kwanatic

I don't doubt her intentions to skate for herself and to help the Korean team, but truth be told she's going to find it very difficult to let go of the expectation and pressure and just skate for herself. Because no other Korean athlete is on the map internationally (Min Jung Kwak was the top Korean finisher at worlds in 28th place; she didn't even qualify for the FS) the responsibility does fall squarely on her. Beside, b/c Yu-Na is known as a dominant champion, anything less than 1st will be viewed as a disappointment by the media and her detractors, even if she's happy with where she places.

I'm sure she knows what she's jumping back into. She's been through it before so it won't be a shock this time...still, that's why I say this will be a mental challenge for her. She'll have to manage the pressure and skate well. Yu-Na did it once....she might be able to do it again...
  22. invierno

invierno New Member

:swoon::swoon: OMG OMG I almost gave up the hope of her coming back!! Wow. Just wow.
    Personally I'm beyond ecstatic 'coz I always secretly yearned for her return, but I understand the path she chose is not an easy one by any means.
    Kudos, Yuna! And thank you so much...
  23. ratatouille

ratatouille New Member

This is a good news ! I am very happy she's coming back and sad that she can't participate in the GPS.

As for her coach, personally, she and Oppergard don't seem to match each other. I don't know why but that's what I felt when I saw them together at Worlds 2011. For me, there's only one and only and that is Orser. Orser does know how to handle Kim's situation. But this is unlikely to happen. Kim might go for a Russian coach to help her for Sochi.

With the young Russians and Americans' coming along with Kostner, Mao, Akiko and Miki coming back , it will be a fun season to watch !!!
  24. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

:rofl::rofl:
  25. kwanatic

I don't know that Yu-Na's style really fits a Russian coach though I could be wrong...

I think Yu-Na and Peter were okay but being that it was their first competition and they'd only been working together a short time, the relationship that we got so used to seeing from the Brian/Yu-Na combo wasn't there.

Given the terms on which they ended their relationship, I don't know that Brian is an option for her. I really can't imagine her going through it all again without him though...it would have been great. And who's to say they might not make up and get back together? It happens all the time so I wouldn't completely count Brian out yet...though I do see it as a long shot. Yu-Na would really benefit from the familiarity of training with him and Brian would benefit from having his star pupil back in his care.

I remember how much I hoped Michelle would go back to Frank when she was shooting for Torino; but then again, they ended their relationship on a much better note. It'd be nice to see Brian and Yu-Na back together. Then again, that ship may have already sailed. Hopefully she'll find someone who can give her the support she needs and is capable of handling the sh*tstorm that comes with being the coach of Yu-Na Kim. It takes a special person...but, if she's learned anything from Michelle, it's not to go into the Olympics sans a coach. That's the one thing I fully disagreed with during Michelle's career. I think leaving Frank prior to SLC was a huge mistake. That's not to say if he were there she'd have performed better...but who knows?
  26. Alex Forrest

Alex Forrest Banned Member

From my perspective it seems like she is being pressured into this. I don't believe her heart is in it. I don't know her, never met her, but this sounds like pressure. My take on her OGM was that she did it, it's OVER. She never appeared to like figure skating and was even quoted at age 13/14 that she wanted to quit.
    Then again, maybe she has stealthily been practicing, straightening out her legs, learning to point her toes, have better turn-out, etc. Who knows.
    At least this makes it a bit more interesting.
  27. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

wow, this news is shocking to me, can't wait to see her again

But didn't she say one year ago, that she was forced to compete in 2011?
  28. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

When a girl suffers from constant injuries and near-family-bankruptcy and trains in a very ill-equiped ice rink which is primarily used for public, hockey players, and speed skaters, she might get frustrated. For all I know, if she hadn't had love for skating, she wouldn't have been able to continue and would have quit long before she seriously started her career.
  29. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

I would like to say that I am surprised by this announcement but this off season has been a drama haven in the skating world. Heck I would not be surprised if Michelle makes an announcement that she is taking a break from Washington, D.C. to coach Yuna. lol

Thank you for the translation of Yuna's press statement. Best Wishes to Yuna on
    her comeback, her many fans will be very happy.
  30. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

I cannot think that this performance is by a skater who doesn't like or even hates(according to some people) skating. :lol:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB7rccqcSzg
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  31. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

Of course she hated figure skating. She was only pressured to skate all her life. It shows in her accomplishments, her performances and her discipline that she never wanted to skate and did it only because mama said so.

[sarcasm, if you didn't get it.]
  32. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Does anyone think that Kim is doing this for any other reason then to hold up figure skating for South Korea since she is still all they have at the moment. She's doing this simply out of obligation to her country not because she really wants to keep competing. Still the quality of skating next season should be much better then what we've seen since the Olympics.
  33. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

When there's other reason, she didn't announce or explain the reason. But this time she held a press conference and explained the reason.

Got motivated to the next goal. People, country and federation were not referred at all.
  34. arakwafan2006

arakwafan2006 Active Member

I think that you make the best point. There's something about great atheletes who underestimate what it took to get them in the condition they were in when they won. The only good thing for her is that a half you know what skate can beat the number 1 lady in skating. Still...
  35. naan

naan New Member

36. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Money and fame.
    She already knows what it taste like and wants more perhaps? Of course, there is nothing wrong with this, as it is how our society is put together to begin with.
  37. a56

a56 New Member

I think she's doing this out of a sense of obligation to her country because of the poor results at the Nice worlds. If this is true, it is disappointing that she keeps giving in to the pressure she probably feels from her federation/country/whomever to keep competing. I hope she realizes that she doesn't owe anything to anyone.

If she is serious, she needs to start training 100% with a coach ASAP. Skip FC and GP/GPF. She should do a minimum of 2 or 3 Senior B competitions in Europe, at least one in the fall and one or two just before Worlds (any GP-participating top skater would participate in a minimum of 3 international events before worlds - 2 GP + GPF). She should be aiming for no less than the gold medal, not just to get 2 spots for the Olympics. Getting another silver or bronze is going to be a pretty disappointing result for her. There needs to be some kind of top reward to justify all that training again, and nothing less than a world title would be satisfactory, I think.
  38. Eislauffan

Eislauffan Well-Known Member

Maybe Nikolai Morozov has given her a call already and offered his service as a coach? ;-)

(This was a joke, and I have no indication whatsoever that he did that or that she is considering him as a coach. I know that many posters here have problems to realize what is a joke, irony or sarcasm).

More seriously, I think that Yuna Kim pretty much most of the time knew what she is doing. I don't believe that she was pressured into this. It came pretty well accross in that statement (thank you for the translation) that she is looking for a comeback to enjoy competing and probably enjoy the Olympic experience more than she did in 2010. Remember, when Katarina Witt came back in 1994? She was not a medal contender with her outdated jump content but she came back to enjoy the experience, something she couldn't really do when she was fighting for gold, competing for the GDR (East Germany) in 1984 and 1988.
    Yuna Kim is a very intellligent young lady and she always has been very realistic. She said in that press conference that she knows that she has to get back into shape and I'm sure if (when) she shows up she'll be competitive.
    I hope that she can prepare well and I'll be very happy to see her back competing. She'll probably pick one of the later senior B and then go to Nationals and 4CC and Worlds. Great news. :)
  39. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

Korea gets only one entry to Worlds next year, so it's all up to Yuna. She will medal, in all likelihood, as she's always done. It's only the color that's up in the air. If she wins at least silver, Korea gets three tickets to Sochi.
  40. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I wouldn't be so sure about that. It's way too early to predict anything.

For the upcoming season, she should just concentrate on doing clean programs rather than thinking about color of medals. Take it easy on transitions and choreography, and make sure she has room to breadth between jumping sequences.

Except Olympic season of 2009/2010, she always had problems getting through long programs without running out of gas. If she can skate clean this season, she should be home dry. She will be abled to turn on the heat when she starts to prepare for 2014 Olympic season.