Yuna Kim announces her comeback to competitive skating

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by RumbleFish, Jul 2, 2012.

1. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I think this news deserves own thread.
    She said over a press conference that she will resume training as a competitive skater, and that she plans to make Sochi Olympics her last competition.

It is also said that coaching arrangement and programs are undecided since the decision has just been made. But it was stated that she aims to win two spots for Korea at the 2013 World Championships.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  2. Glacier cat

Glacier cat Member

WOW :eek: So when is the first competition???

3. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I thought it was interesting that you did not provide any links to this news. So I just did a google news search. This is the most newsworthy thing I've found:

Kim Yu-na continues competitive hiatus

4. eoxdus

eoxdus New Member

http://khnews.kheraldm.com/kh/view.php?ud=20120702001083&cpv=0&md=20120702152936_8

Figure skater Kim Yu-na to retire after Sochi Olympics

Figure skating star Kim Yu-na announced Monday she will retire from amateur competition after the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, ending months of speculation on her career.

In a hastily scheduled press conference, the 21-year-old said she will try to become a member of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) after her career is over.

Kim's future has been a subject of much speculation since she won the gold medal at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, which came about a year after her first and only world crown.

She entered the 2010 world championships about a month after Vancouver and finished second. Kim later confessed to suffering from an emotional letdown and sat out the entire 2010-11 season before entering the world championship in April 2011 and finishing runner-up again.

It was the last competitive event for Kim, who has only appeared in corporate ice shows both within and outside South Korea in the ensuing months. (Yonhap News)

5. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

Peter, there's no link because the press conference was less than an hour ago. The news is only in Korean so far. It'll take a few hours before an English statement is released.

But people in Korea saw it live and they're reporting the same consistent news--and with pictures of the press conference if you look in her fan forums.

This is not a hoax.

6. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

OMG this is so shocking to me. I've just made my peace with Yuna's retirement just a couple of months ago!!

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  7. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:lol: Is it April the first? I thought she's going to compete and retire after Sochi. I was deliriously happy for nothing. This means she is not competing but will retire from figure skating (as in hang up her skates) after Sochi. :(
    She looks beautiful. :swoon:

8. ainouta

ainouta Well-Known Member

This is in Korean but it confirms it....
    http://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/07/02/2012070201726.html?news_top
    The first two sentences say "I will continue my athletic career until the Sochi Olympics and then I will retire", essentially. She also talks about the fact that after Vancouver, she felt like the expectations of her country and her fans only continued to grow and she wanted to run away from it at times. She says that she is going to lower her own expectations a bit and try to skate for herself, and she doesn't want to see herself as the defending OGM but rather just another Korean athlete on the national team.
    No mention of GP or 4C or anything of the sort though. Wonder if she's just going to keep doing just Worlds? That would seem foolish...

9. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Thanks, I was counting on someone else to provide an English newslink.

I doubt she will skate in the grand prix, unless she brings back her old programs. Even if she does, she will need to secure invitations from hosting federations, I presume.

10. ainouta

ainouta Well-Known Member

I would love to see her use her 2011 LP again, but she's never kept any of her programs for more than a season as a senior...

11. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Nice I wish her all the best. I presume she is meaning skip this years isu series and focus on 2013 worlds and then a likely 2013-2014 Grand Prix series? I do think coming back now is way better than coming back Olympic year as I think it doesn't work. Figure skating. We've seen people try and falter and in other sports too such as gymnastics. If you leave things too late you can't expect to do well.

12. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I also think she should keep her 2011 LP. It would be a too much of a waste not to perform such a wonderful piece to it's full capabilities.

On the otherhand, she should throw away 2011 SP to Giselle. It really didn't suit her at all.

13. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

No details on coaches, training location, choreographer or programs yet. But let's not be too impatient. She announced her Sochi bid rather far ahead.

14. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I honestly thought Yu-Na was done competing. I hope this is what she really wants and that she'll be motivated and at full strength, not like in 2011. I agree that she can recycle one of her programs from last year, since she only used them once and wasn't at her best.

I think she might be able to get a GP as a host pick, she is quite a draw... if not, I hope she will at least do 4CC and maybe a senior B and not just Worlds.

Sort of on topic, have they announced the cast for the next All That Skate show?

15. idee123

idee123 New Member

Yuna said she will work with Wilson.
    Though no detail on coaches
    And she will compete at nationals and at 2013 Worlds.
    Plus another one competition(maybe 4cc or a senior B) That's what she said.

16. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

Nationals? Are you sure? Seems odd...she should do an ISU competition like 4CC in front of ISU judges, not Korean nationals. :confused:

ETA: Never mind, I see you added "4CC or a senior B".

17. brilliant9

brilliant9 Member

OMG what an exciting news!!!
    She said she'd go with David Wilson as always. Not sure about coaches.

18. idee123

idee123 New Member

deleted

19. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Skating at Nationals and Worlds would be good enough for this year IMO.

I wonder what kind of influence her recent get together with Kwan had on this sudden announcenet.
    Kwan might have said something like "Forget about the GPs, and just skate at Nationals and Worlds. Practice at my rink if you need a facility." :lol:

Having her at the Nationals would be wonderful for up and coming skaters. They will finally get a chance to compete in front of a large home crowd. I imagine that the Korean fed would make lots of money with ticket sales and sponsorships as well.

20. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

21. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

Her decision did come rather soon after Michelle visited her! Was it Michelle who really influenced her to make up her mind? I wouldn't be surprised.

22. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I think that if there is anything to be learned from recent comeback attempts, she needs to start training and competing asap. leaving it to the last minute never seems to serve anyone well.

23. spiral9509

spiral9509 Skating is Language

Yuna Kim told that she would compete at competitions in Korea and an International B senior competition before Worlds.

Here is the schedule of ISU B senior competitions after November 1st.

Nov. 6~11 Icechallenge 2012 (Austria)
    Nov. 15~18 Warsaw Cup (Poland)
    Nov. 16~18 15th Merano Cup(Italy)
    Dec. 5~9 NRW Trophy (Germany)
    Dec. 13~16 Golden Spin of Zargeb (Croatia)
    Dec. 18~22 Istanbul Cup (Turkey)
    Jan. 3~5 1st New Year Cup (Slovakia)
    Jan. 8~12 6th Europa Cup "Skate Helena" (Serbia)
    Jan. 10~13 Volvo Open Cup (Latvia)
    Feb. 7~10 Barvarian Open (Germany)
    Feb. 7~10 Dragon Trophy & Trivoli Cup (Slovakia)
    Feb. 14~17 Hellmut Siebt Memorial (Austria)
    Feb. 21~24 1st Citta di Trorino Trophy (Italy)
    Feb. 21~24 Challenge Cup 2013 (Netherland)

Nov. Korean Ranking Competition
    Early Jan. Korean Nationals
    Mar. 10~17 2013 Worlds Canada Ontario London

24. Keftiu

Keftiu New Member

I'm not sure, but the korean national competition will be held in January, 2013.
    I think this might be the first competition for her.
    And I can't wait until that time :)

25. spiral9509

spiral9509 Skating is Language

I think it will.

2012 Korean Nationals were held in Jan. 6~8.

26. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

While maintaining her friendship with Michelle, I would start to mingle with Katti Witt If I were in Yuna Kim's shoes.

Katti Witt knows all about winning consecutive olympics. She had her 2nd OGM in the bag even before she took to the ice in Calgary. Like Witt in 1988, Yuna Kim in 2014 won't be as good as her past technically, so it will be an effective strategy to psych out competitors and have them fall. :lol:

27. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Q&As after the interview

Some rough translation.

kwanfan1818 and (deleted member) like this.
  28. brina

brina Well-Known Member

I love Yu-na's skating and am excited to hear this!

29. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

Post 2013 worlds I think she should do at least one GP event if not both and hopefully (or presumably) make the GPF final. I think its smart she does an international competition before worlds.

In terms of jumps I can imagine she will have them all back bar perhaps a triple-triple, though a triple toe-triple toe isn't out of the question. I wouldn't put it past her to have the Triple Lutz-Triple Toe back by Olympics either. She has good if not excellent jump technique. Much easier to be back to quality when you already have great technique. I don't envision getting her spins level back will be too difficult nor whatever requirements are needed for footwork etc.

30. puretea

puretea Active Member