Yu-Na says she may skip GP this season

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ehdtkqorl123, May 2, 2011.

1. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

While I agree that she may not have been into it 100%, Yu-Na's programs, especially her FS are simply exquisite. That FS is beautiful, almost haunting when the voices start to come on. I really want to see this in competition again, with all triples executed and a bit more speed and flair.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

No, again there are new rules.

Skaters will get on the substitute list based on the CURRENT season results. So Ladies who do very well on the B-International circuit, provided they meet the ridiculously high minimum scores, will be able to replace those who withdraw.

3. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Considering that all of the better skaters (top 12 Worlds, tops SB and ISU Ranks) will already have received assignments, anyone replacing a seed isn't going to be much competition for the skaters already on the roster.

With the 2/3 of the top SB score, here are the minimum scores for the GP:

LADIES: 134.29 - top 49 on the SB list only (no Caroline ZHANG or Cheltzie LEE)
    MEN: 187.41 - top 45 on the SB list only (no Paolo BACCHINI)
    PAIRS: 145.31 - top 22 only (no MARLEY / BRUBAKER or KADLECOVA / BIDAR)
    DANCE: 123.58 - top 37 only (no ORFORD / WILLIAMS, RALPH / HILL)

4. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

Marley/Brubaker can't compete on the GP?? Neither can Lee? This is OUTRAGEOUS. How is a new pair team supposed to get competitive experience or exposure and Lee added a 3-3 to her arsenal at Worlds, I just don't understand why these skaters can't be given a chance.

:mad:

5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I think we should wait for the official 2011-12 Grand Prix Announcement with the updated selection criteria to be published before automatically assuming the worst.

ETA: A list of preliminary GP selection criteria (not yet made official) can be found in this new GP thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78719

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  6. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I really hope this is not the case..with the split of D/B, M/B are the 3rd highest ranked US Pair team and it just seems absurd they are not allowed to compete in a GP event.

7. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Britney comparison would only work for Asada who couldn't get near the podium and seems to be suffering from a mental illness called anorexia.

8. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

USFS could still assign M/B to Nebelhorn, and hope they score 146 or better. It's not unusual for judges at Senior Bs to give slightly inflated scores. Maybe Cheltzie Lee could do a Senior B and up her score by a few points.

9. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I hope people just ignore Rumblefish's trollish comment.

Maybe Lee can't afford to do a Senior B just in the hope of qualifying for a GP. That's why I hope the ISU drops this idea of having a minimum GP qualifying score -- the GP is exclusive enough as it is.

ETA: Here's the link to a general pre-GP selection discussion thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78719

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  10. a56

a56 New Member

I totally agree. I felt sad for her because I think she was pressured by her federation and other people to compete when her heart wasn't really in it. There is absolutely no point for a skater of her extraordinary talent to just keep collecting world silvers or bronzes. I'd say only world or Olympic titles matter at this point, but I also think 2011 worlds was her last competition. I think she will retire. I hope she enjoys her life while she is still young because she deserves to enjoy being a tourist in Paris, having a relaxed exercise/diet regimen, and having a fun life.

11. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

I know Yuna said she was crying on the podium because she was so happy (which was definitely the PC thing to say), but to me, she did not appear happy at all. She looked very, VERY upset and I believe that she was.

12. miki88

miki88 New Member

I don't think we have to over-analyze her expressions. She gambled with making Worlds the first competition of her season and it didn't pan out the way she had hoped. Simple as that.

Thanks. Duly noted. ;)

13. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

15. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

16. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

One thing I haven't heard anyone mention is the fact that she has a torn labrum in her right hip. It may not be feasible for her to go on training triple/triples for a full season. I think unfortunately the pressure is on her to do so because the Korean federation doesn't have any other high profile skaters.

17. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I haven't heard about this. Do you have a link to the source of your info?

18. aliceanne

I'll have to look around. I'll post later if I find it. I thought it came up in an interview when she was with that other coach in Toronto. When she moved there the focus was to pace her training so that she wasn't in pain when she competed. I may be wrong as to the exact nature of the injury, but I'm pretty sure it was hip and chronic.

19. aliceanne

[I] In January 2007, Kim was diagnosed as being in the early stage of lumbar disc herniation (L4~L5).[13][/I]This is in her Wikipedia entry, plus they talk about her back and hip injury in 2008.

The interview I am thinking of was in International Figure Skating before the Olympics. She and her coach were talking about her hip and how they paced her training and I remember her saying 'I thought if I have to train in this much pain for my entire athlete's life...'

20. aliceanne

Here is an interview from 2007 with her coach. If you scroll midway down they discuss her injuries and training around them.

http://www.japanskates.com/interviews/OrserInterview.htm

Not that these kinds of problems are unusual for an elite skater, but they can't be ignored indefinitely.

21. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

This is the first time I've heard about an ankle injury at Worlds: http://www.koreaherald.com/sports/Detail.jsp?newsMLId=20110504000950

22. riveredge

riveredge Active Member