Yu-Na Kim News UPDATE!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by RunnersHigh, Dec 20, 2010.

1. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

I saw Yuna crying last night on NBC.. that broke my heart..

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  2. Kabooke

Kabooke Active Member

Most don't! From Dick Button to Jamie Sale, they know and have expressed that these results are a farce.

Yuna and Carolina can leave knowing they did themselves and their countries proud. And the only reason for the color of their medals are Russian politics.

3. crs

crs New Member

I'm sure you and others here won't have any problem when Yuna's country do the same thing to your fave skater in 2018 lol!It won't have anything to do with South Korea's Politics right?lol!

4. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

The reason for the podium order is as much about the COP as anything else.
    Adelina beyond any doubt won the tech portion and the new system does not place nearly as much weight on artistry as the former system.

I thought Yuna and Carolina were stunning last night but as Elvis mentioned Yuna did not have a tech arsenal that could match Adelina. The difference in their spins was obvious and since Adelina skates fast and has a much superior stretch to Caro and Yuna their PCS advantage was greatly reduced.

As to P/E it is a matter of taste. But Adelina's skating, although not as beautiful as Yuna's or Carolina's clearly ticked off enough COP bullets to keep her in the components mix.

5. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Wtf are you taking about? Regardless of judge fixes, Russia has been producing oly podium caliber skaters in all 4 disciplines since at least 1984. All the judging fixes in the world aren't going to magically produce s. Korean men, ice dancers and pairs that don't even exist. Were there even any s. Korean skaters in Sochi that weren't ladies singles? And speaking of ladies, really... From 16th and 21st to the podium? That's gonna take serious home court advantage. You know, like how shiz won gold in Nagano. :p
    this is the truest/sanest thing Ive read about this event yet. ITA!

6. McIce

McIce New Member

Adelina's TES shouldn't be that far ahead. 3Lz-3T should get flutz call and under-rotation. She has almost never fully rotated 3t after 3lz. Her other jumps have never received so many GOEs either. Without the GOE inflation, she shouldn't be ahead Yuna by 5 points in TES.

7. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

So you know I am OK with Adelina winning Gold because she is one of my favorites (which should have nothing to do with scoring).

If my old 6.0 eyes were judging last night I don't know if I would have placed Yuna first or Carolina first. But I would have placed Adelina third.
    But I am talking about 6.0 scoring.

The COP was shown to be nothing more than a farce - and as Frank Carroll has said - it will be easier to manipulate scores under the IJS than it ever was under 6.0.

I feel bad for Patrick Chan - and wonder if the COP did not hold him up at two consecutive Worlds if he would have come to Sochi much hungrier.

So after awarding him for years for sloppy skates - in Sochi they told him "NO" - you don't win because you made mistakes. Heck, Yuzu also made mistakes.

Thought I would sneak this in since the COP worshippers seem to be on a break at the moment. ;)

8. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

I disagree and thought Adelina's jumps were spectacular last night. Her spins were easily the best. I think Adelina won the TES last night.

9. crs

crs New Member

What country decided to make this sytem better for their skaters to succeed because they couldn't
    land quads to save their lives in comps? No wonder chan thought he could win an oly gold medal with falls lo! Isn't that how he won those world titles?

10. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Who are you talking about ? Chan can't land quads ? :confused:

11. shady82

shady82 Active Member

I know this sport has subjectivity, but I see almost no reason in people who think Adelina actually deserved gold.

TES higher than Kim and Kostner? She did an easier 3-3 in the short. Made a non-trivial mistake in the long. Her jumps are high but have little flow-out. Her spins aren't that impressive - I don't know why some people think they are. Her camel spin variation where she lifts her leg up without turning her body around is hideous. Her footwork has all the tick boxes covered but is slow and incoherent. GOEs of +2 and +3?? Hello?

Let's not even get started on PCS. I would give Sotnikova lower PCS than Gold, Wagner, Suzuki, and Lipnitskaya but can live if some people think they should be in the same ballpark or a bit higher. But she's getting PCS as high as KIM and KOSTNER. Absolutely nothing justifies that decision.

12. MrLucky

MrLucky New Member

Yuna used to get top marks for her somewhat unattractive spiral sequence. But she ticked off enough boxes under COP to score as high as Mao and Mirai, two skaters with beautiful spiral positions.

I have no doubt you can find flaws in Adelina's skating just as flaws can be found in Yuna's skating.

But it is about scoring the points. Yuna's sophistication and Caro's elegance did not trump Adelina's youthful energy and enthusiasm under this scoring system.

13. crs

crs New Member

he was not consistently landing quads till recently.

14. Kabooke

Kabooke Active Member

I'm sure you know that making assumptions makes you look like an @ss! :cool:

Seems you may be the one that is selective in your response to corruption. As for myself, wrong is wrong. Period!

15. nguyhm

nguyhm Member

I hope so too especially since the Olympics will be in her home country, let the russians have a taste of their own medicine. Yuna will be unbeatable with a home crowd. She and Mao still have so much to give.

16. Kabooke

Kabooke Active Member

Which is laughable. Yet, this is the glorious IJS! The system that was to fix it all.

17. crs

crs New Member

I think Mao has seen enough of Yuna to last her a lifetime lol!

18. shady82

shady82 Active Member

It's about scoring the points, and Adelina's 'points' don't actually reflect her skating. It's like saying that a clean Suguri or Meissner should rank ahead of a clean Kwan. Says no one ever.

You can't give Yu-na's spiral example and use that to say that they both have flaws, and therefore Adelina's win is justified.

19. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

20. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Yuna is a beautiful lady, great champion, and a wonderful human being.

21. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

22. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I loved her yellow dress in the SP. Could be her best ever.

23. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

mad respect!!! the queen and pyeongchang!!! during the gala..a little tribute..

http://imgnews.naver.net/image/001/2014/02/23/PYH2014022301510001300_P2_59_20140223041809.jpg
    http://file.osen.co.kr/article/2014/02/23/201402230418770039_5308f82ebd91f.jpg

i still remember during in zagreb.. there was an outrage in korea about that dress.. heck even the designer's website was shutdown.. :lol:

and when yuna skated flawlessly at her nationals.. her dress won over and they appreciate it more :D

24. zilam98

zilam98 Well-Known Member

so singles skater's threads have no post limit? that it can go beyond 1000 posts?

25. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

There's so much more to a spiral than the position. You also have to look at edge control and the pattern they make on the ice. That being said, Yuna's spiral was probably her weakest element. And yes, from what I remember of the 2006 Olympic, Mirai's spiral was beautiful but the pattern she made struck me as rather weak from what I remember. I probably need to watch it again as it's been years since I've seen it.

26. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2014/02/22/68131128/borscht-belts-kim-not-really-upset-about-result

such class.. :respec:

27. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

28. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I got to talk with Yuna during the closing ceremonies yesterday! I think it's interesting that V/T will take pictures with the other athletes but won't give any autographs to their fans...

29. ronniev

ronniev New Member

Gumby..was a super flexible character from a long long time ago. After Mao was out of contention, I wanted Yuna to win..I was disappointed for Yuna. Though I'm glad another 15year old didn't win it this time..

30. ToFarAwayTimes

ToFarAwayTimes Active Member

How awful a poster can you be?

1. Shady gave you points-based reasons why the results are not acceptable.

2. You tell him it's "all about scoring points"

3. And then you give explanations that have nothing to do with points

Are you incompetent, or what's the deal here?