Yu-Na Kim News UPDATE!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by RunnersHigh, Dec 20, 2010.

1. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

This might not be a "news" but I am just posting here.
    For those who haven't seen,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIuPm8Ggb3M

this is Yu-Na's interview clip when she was 11 years old..
    She was having an interview at late night, and saying "I want to go to Olympic games and get a gold medal.."
    .. and she did it! This is real "dream come true".

2. AlexDSSF

AlexDSSF Member

I just watched the NBC and CBC perspectives on Yu-na Kim's superlative/hyperbole-defying performance on YouTube. I've already seen the Universal Sports, BBC, and British Eurosport perspectives. I have to admit, on the night, as I watching the Eurosport stream, I covered my face every time Yu-na jumped. I haven't been that nervous for a skater since the Vancouver fortnight. I was so relieved that she was able to put together two clean performances again. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that Yu-na is not just the best female figure skater in the world; she is THE best figure skater in the world. The quality of women's figure skating has grown over the years and Yu-na has simply taken it to new heights. She absolutely decimated the field, which in and of itself was a quality field, and I think that they've become and are becoming better skaters BECAUSE of what Yu-na has done. Yu-na has simply rewritten the book on figure skating.

Where the Olympics are concerned, Patrick Chan is going to have to fend off Denis and Javier and the Japanese guys. Meryl and Charlie still have Tessa and Scott to contend with. Tat'yana and Maksim still have Al'ona and Robin to contend with, too. Carolina and Mao, as great as they are, are nowhere near Yu-na. I don't think it's hyperbole to suggest that Yu-na Kim is the Usain Bolt of figure skating. In the world of winter sports, she's up there with the likes of Shaun White, Sidney Crosby, Aleksandr Ovechkin, Petter Northug, Marit Bjoergen, Lindsey Vonn, Maria Riesch, Tina Maze, Sven Kramer, Simon Ammann, Aksel Lund Svindal and Ole Einar Bjoerndalen. I think that she may be among the best athletes of either gender in the world today.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I wonder if Yuna would consider trying a 3loop next season? From what I understand, she is healthy now.

Her current plan of 6 triples and 2 2axels is competitive, but does not blow the field away like what she did in Vancouver of 6 triples and 3 2axels (none in sequence). Now that GOEs have lower value and her content is slightly less ambitious than in Vancouver, she will not have that big a cushion on TES anymore. At Worlds, Asada planned 8 triples and 1 2axel and Gold planned 7 triples and 2 2axels. Even Kostner planned 7 triples and 1 2axel. Same for PCS. She still reigns overall, but Kostner with a fall actually beat her on PCS in the short.

So, while I think if she could manage to be clean in Sochi she will most likely win again, it appears like her cushion isn't going to be as big against Asada and Kostner as in 2010. And god knows what would happen if Yuna made a mistake and Asada or Kostner went clean...

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  4. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

But Yuna jumps three 3Lz + two 3F in SP&LP. (Kostner : one 3Lz + one 3F)
    Of course I will be glad if Yuna brings this layout. :)

3Lz-3T
    3F
    3S
    3Lz
    (eagle-)2A-3T-2T http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6K-tp5eoJ4
    3Lo
    (ina bauer-)2A

5. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

it's way too risky for her to do a 3l at the olympics

id play it safe. the important thing is going clean.

6. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

There is no incentive for Yuna to do any of the 'Skating Fan Wishlist for Yuna': By that I mean
    -a 3Loop
    - turnout her leg in a layback
    -stretch her foot in a spiral,
    -resurrect the beilmann
    -non generic Wilson choreography

I think YuNa will easily win with her current content if she delivers on it. As mentioned, Kostner's content is less ambitious and she's also far less consistent. Asada is ambitious, but even her best performance at 4cc only got 4 triples counted, and not with YuNa's GOE. I think that's why Asada was so dejected on the podium after being quite happy in the KnC...she realized her main competitor was still just as far out of reach.

The only girls that are going to challenge/exceed Yuna's jump content are going to be much younger, like Gracie, Liza, Zijun, the 2nd Russian (if it's someone like Radionova) and the 3rd American (if its someone like Angela Wang). And none of them is anywhere near competitive on PCS.

7. Lilith11

Lilith11 New Member

I'd love to see her bring back the 3loop, but at the same time, like previous posters have noted, Yu-na's main concern would be 1). go clean and 2). health. From what I've read, the 3loop aggravates her hip which isn't conducive to the second concern. I'd also argue that while it's not perfect, she's been working on her layback. Case in point: http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab219/YunaBliss/20130315034707945_zps74e42d6e.jpg Still could use better turnout, but her foot's no longer hanging in a clunky fashion. Of course, leg turnout isn't all a layback's about; there's also centering, speed, back position, edging, etc. Same to her spiral-- not Kwan-level, but she's been working on it. Her stretch in her free at 2011 Worlds was, imo, noticeably better than her Olympics performance. Lol, people want her to resurrect the bielmann? Idk, I think that's a spin that should be used sparingly; timed correctly, it can raise an audience to its feet but if it's just inserted for points...

8. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

9. invierno

invierno Member

But Yuna is not completely healthy even now. It's just now she knows how to manage it relatively okay.
    I remember in a quite recent interview Yuna said her back hurts when she does lay back position, and even the thought of doing lay back cringes her.(it's not her exact word, can't remember what it was, but basically she meant something like this)
    So I highly doubt she will try anything that could cause injuries to her already fragile body. And Loop jump is a proven cause of her injury. :(

10. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

omg. the clip of a young yuna practicing and crying out in pain is so sad :(

11. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  12. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

13. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

14. puretea

puretea New Member

Yuna Kim, New gala program ‘Imagine’ :)
    http://youtu.be/sJrwTgFt3Ek

- Emphasis on meaning and message of a song containing delicate expression and gentle acting
    - Yuna Kim "will deliver the message of world peace on top of the ice"
    - Choreographer David Wilson "a work of beauty and expression that can only be felt by Yuna Kim"
    - Plan to unveil for the first time 'Samsung Galaxy★Smart Aircon All That Skate 2013'

'Queen of Figure Skating' Yuna Kim will deliver the message of peace to the world at the gala program.
    Yuna Kim’s management agency All That Sports revealed on the 4th that Avril Lavigne’s song Imagine was chosen for the new gala program. This year’s program will be unveiled at the ‘Samsung Galaxy★Smart Aircon All That Skate 2013’ on the following 21st through 23rd at the specially installed ice rink in Seoul Olympic Park Gymnastics Stadium.

The song ‘Imagine’ was originally written by John Lennon in 1971 as a protest of Vietnam War. Yuna Kim’s Avril Lavigne’s version was from compilation album “Make Some Noise” by Amnesty International as an effort to raise funds to improve Sudan’s human rights.
    As a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador since 2010, Yuna Kim plans to share the suffering of war around the world in the hopes of world peace through her delicate expression and gentle acting at this year’s ice show.

Yuna Kim stated "This year’s gala program ‘Imagine’ is emphasized on message of the song rather than the performance" further stating that she would like to “share the meaning of this year’s program with a lot of people and wishes they will enjoy the show.”

This year’s program choreographer David Wilson stated "the song for the new gala program ‘Imagine’ is one of mine and Yuna’s favorite and since Yuna was familiar with the song, we were able to choreograph in depth", "the composition of the song is simple but carries deep meaning therefore hard to translate, but we were able to create the perfect piece due to easy to collaboration since Yuna fully understands the song." In addition, David commented that "natural thought for the world rises if you picture the lyrics while listening to the song" and his anticipation of the show stating "the world will love Yuna’s ‘Imagine’ as they will see and feel the expression, delicacy, and gentle beauty that only she can deliver."

‘Samsung Galaxy★ Smart Aircon All That Skate 2013’ will be held at Seoul Olympic Gymnastic Stadium’s specialized ice rink on June 21st through 23rd. For detailed information on ‘Samsung Galaxy★ Smart Aircon All That Skate 2013’ go to the official website
    www.allthatskate.com.
    http://yunakimfan.com/2013/06/05/32004/

15. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Lovely song and beautiful message but the fact that she went with Avirl Lavigne's version instead of the original Lennon version or at least a better vocalist/talent than Avirl Lavigne makes me sad. Iconic songs like that are often done best by the original. I'm sure it will be a lovely program though...

16. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

maybe because the avril's version is more current?? :confused: but i would have preferred john lennon's version though.

17. HVS

HVS Member

I was confused too about Avril version, but I think back when I fell in love with Yuna's Someone Like You, I even didn't care about Adele's voice :lol: So I'm sure this time will still great no matter what, just all about Yuna :cool:

18. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Avril covered Imagine? What's next Britney doing Stairway to Heaven?

19. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

20. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

Great Yuna!!! :respec::respec:

RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  21. puretea

puretea New Member

Fans Await Unveiling of Kim Yu-na's Skating Programs for Olympic Season:)

With 240 days remaining before the start of the 2014 Winter Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia, Kim Yu-na is busy training to defend her title. She will start her season with two International Skating Union Grand Prix Series events -- Skate Canada in October and the Trophée Eric Bompard in Paris in November.

Last summer, Kim announced that she would retire after the Sochi Games. Fans are now anxiously waiting to see her new programs for this season, which will highlight the finale of her decorated career. Kim plans to announce these in September, just before the Grand Prix Series begins. She decided on her free skate program in April while training with long-time choreographer David Wilson in Canada. The pair will work on wrapping up her short program this month as Wilson is scheduled to attend two of Kim’s gala shows in Seoul from June 21 to 23.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2013/06/12/2013061201418.html

22. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Thank you! So no announcement on Yuna's music choices until September. Why so much secrecy? This could either bring epic success or fail in unusually high expectations. I hope she chooses excellent pieces. I've always wondered how Rachmaninoff's will go with her.

23. ltnskater

ltnskater Active Member

Imagine she also chose Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 2! I would die and go to heaven! Haha

24. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I wonder why she's waiting so long to unveil her choices? Eh, keep 'em wanting more I guess.

I'm hoping to see better programs than last year's. Vampire and Les Mis were nice but I think (pray) she and David can come up with something very special for her last competitive season.

25. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

yuna said during the press con of ATS ice show today that her LP will be very different from les miserable and she has her sp music already.. david and yuna will be working on the choreography after ATS ice show.. :D:D

26. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

I'm very much looking forward to finding out her music choices. :) I can't believe she'll go for Rach 2. Ideally, like a lot of other Yu-Na fans, I'd love to see The Lark Ascending skated perfectly. :swoon: It's not going to happen, but I do hope she chooses, or accepts, something original and doesn't resort to a warhorse. I'm sure she would do it nicely, but I'd be so disappointed. :(

27. puretea

puretea New Member

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  28. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

29. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

30. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

latest on yuna and olympics..

from ynk forum

and it begins... :D