Yu-Na Kim News UPDATE!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by RunnersHigh, Dec 20, 2010.

1. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

“Below the ankle” athletic? I don’t get what it means. All great athletes and performers are well- balanced in form IMO.

It’s not only athleticism that made Yu-Na a superstar. She became one because she’s a master PERFORMER and knows how to use her body – every part of it, big or small – in subtle, nuanced ways. She’s a natural dancer. Her lower body flexibility is just average, but her upper body flexibility and agility is exceptional. Add her uncanny ability in coordinating movements, and her feel for the rhythm/music and perceptivity to the themes, VIOLA! A star performer is born.

And how did she become masterful? By polishing after polishing until the core and pure choreographic elements are left free of redundancies, each of them complete by itself and seamlessly incorporated into the routine.

If you don’t get this, well, Yu-Na is not your cup of tea. I wasn’t saying she’s perfect, of course.

Anyway..

This is not exactly Yu-Na news, but Jin-Seo Kim, who is with Yu-Na’s management company ATS, placed 3rd after SP at NRW, with score of 69.65 (TES 38.33, PCS 31.32). He’s now cleared to go to ISU Worlds.

Jin-Seo Kim cheers after SP (with lots of Yu-Na's SP & interview photos)
  2. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

OMG Am I seeing this right? Yuna's feet become parallel to the ice, FINALLY, and has a gorgeous stretch, the first variation, in this layback spin!
  3. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

That's a very accurate description. The only thing I don't like about Yu na is her spiral, but that's a very small part of the program. She does many small/nuanced movements in her skate that make her extraordinary, artistically, and she is a very strong jumper.
  4. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Yu-Na's LP - Video

I really like her long program. I like that it's not melodramatic. With more polish, it could be spectacular.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  5. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

To me, Yuna is one of the best jumpers ever. When she nails it, it's gorgeous, big, text book and easy. Besides, she generates immense power from her blades which allows her to cover the ice exceptionally well as in her spiral. Her spiral is a good example of wonderful edge control and power and poor above the ankle position. Another thing is I am not a big fan of her interpretation. I don't see her using small movements and details like Chan and don't see her performing all-out like Daisuke Takahashi or Kwan or Suzuki. I also don't see the gorgeous body lines like Asada or Cohen. Yuna rarely stretches to her fingertips, rarely extends.

That said, in the LP above, she does hit several nice, aesthetically pleasing positions. She obviously has the potential/ability to stretch and present a nicer body line but no incentive whatsoever.
  6. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

For someone that's been away from competitions for 20 months, she looks amazing. One fall, one singled axel, but rest of her jumps look solid.....two very good triple lutzes, including a 3L3t combination! She has not lost anything artistically. IMO for that program 201 are too high marks. Rest of the ladies should be worried though. Not many are doing even one correct 3lutz. The program looks simple choreographically, but I am sure she will add more complexity later. This is going to raise the standard of ladies skating again. May be Mao needs to bring back her 3A, since she cannot do a correct lutz.
  7. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

^ Yes, she’s amazing, isn’t she. 20 months is a long break to overcome in a short period, but she did. Plushy’s comeback in 2009-2010 at 27 after 3 years off was truly impressive, too.

I think Yu-Na’s Les Mis LP is packed with choreography. We may never see a clean skate out of it even when she gives it more time, since the program is packed. Still, I think it’ll be spectacular, even with a mistake or two.
  8. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Not as much "packed" as Patrick's LP or Mao's LP(btw Mao's Swan Lake is just amazing coming from Tarasova AND Mao), though. I think there exist some room that she and David can fill in more marvelously.
    Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. naan

naan New Member

I agree that Patrick's LP is packed with choreography and difficult transitions. I doubt if he can skate clean, because it looks so difficult! :eek: He definitely deserves to get huge PCS.
    But I have to disagree about Mao's program. Her LP is lovely, but it looks empty to me. I don't see any difficult, special transitions or choreography in this program. Just very basic edges and steps which give the illusion of transitions. Her footwork is great though. I don't know why, but I prefer her SP. It's delightful! :D
    As for Yuna's LP, the program needs to be more polished and refined, but I think it's a very great program. I love it :swoon:
    Not sure about her SP though :( I liked and enjoyed it before the step sequence. I think David is very creative, and makes a great program overall, but his weakest point is step sequence, IMO.
    l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  10. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Yu-Na's agent ATS said today that she will participate in ISU GP series events in 2013 season.
  11. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

12. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

in other words.. she's serious about coming back and competing again..
  13. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Great! The ladies field will be much better served with her as a part of it.
  14. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

15. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I agree with this. It's difficult, I would imagine, to tell an Olympic champion, who is already receiving monster marks, to improve her "body line" or "stretch."
  16. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Yu-Na won the Korean Nationals today and is now cleared to go to the ISU Worlds 2013.

It was a performance for the ages in front of the home fans.

FS – broadcast version with (too many) commentaries

Great fancam

It was touching that she seemed at ease and ready to share the moment with the fans. It was different from the last time she competed before the home fans at 2008 GPF, when she was suffocated by the huge expectations from the enthusiastic fans.

After the event she said, “I’m happy that I was able to give a good performance to the fans, at what could be my last competition at home.” When asked about her expectation for the Worlds, she said, “If I could stay healthy and prepared, I think I can do well. But the actual performance can be determined by many factors -- physical, mental, or others. I’m just one of the athletes who can be affected by those factors. All I can do is to be prepared and do my best.”

Photo: Ladies' podium - Korean Nationals 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Happy to see again in competitions. She grow up and now its woman on ice. Wish all the best to her :)
  18. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

19. RunnersHigh

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  20. karlon

karlon New Member

The Sochi Winter Games: One Year To Go

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/06/six-questions-leading-up-to-sochi-2014/related/
    It's too early to know for sure which athletes will compete in Sochi, but some key names to watch are Lindsey Vonn (United States, Alpine skiing), Shaun White (United States, snowboarding), Yuna Kim (South Korea, figure skating) and Yevgeny Plushenko (Russia, figure skating).

Six questions leading up to Sochi 2014

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/06/six-questions-leading-up-to-sochi-2014/related/
    What about Yuna Kim?
    The South Korean star is also looking to repeat, and looked great in Germany back in December, winning gold at her first event in more than eighteen months. She should lock up a spot in Sochi at worlds in March, and definitely looks to shine on the ice again, but Americans Ashley Wagner and Gracie Gold, who were both impressive at U.S. nationals last month, might have something to say about that.

sochi 2014 one year out video
    36~39 yuna kim (bgm. One of the greatest Olympic performances I have ever seen!!!)
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  21. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

22. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Let me start by saying that I am a big Yuna fan and still have her Olympic short and long programs on my DVR which I watch at least several times per year. I was really glad to see that she fixed that foot on her layback. Her performance was techically brilliant, but I sensed that she was emotionally disconnected during her programs this go-around. I hope that she finds some renewed passion in time for the Olympics in Sochi
  23. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Let me start by saying that, as a Yu-Na uber, I’m glad to hear that you’re a Yu-Na fan. :lol: Please bring up something new. This is so stale.

I recommend you open up your eyes in appreciating artistic/athletic performances. In my view, Yu-Na emotes very aptly, just in a right amount, depending on the spirit of each program. Renewed passion? How could one ask for more, after that magnificent performance just a week ago?

M. Jordan came back to the same excellence after a brief stint with baseball, and nobody complained about his lack of “passion” even though he wasn’t jumping up and down the court with joy, and kissing on the floor after his buzzer-beater.
  24. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Others may have different views - no big deal. Kim is a most deserving World champion this year based on her technical excellence alone.

Wall Street Journal's Korea Real Time blog: http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/2013/03/18/queen-yuna-reclaims-reign-on-the-ice/

When is the next "All That Skate" show scheduled for in Korea, anyone know?
  25. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

The exact dates have not yet been announced. I don't remember how much earlier the dates were announced for the previous shows, but I have a feeling that they should have been announced by now if they were planning 'All That Skate Spring' in the beginning of May as it was before. On the other hand, it could just be that Yuna herself has not had time to think about the show what with the Worlds and all the other responsibilities that she has.
  26. Spazactaz

Spazactaz New Member

but does anyone know why she ditched her Biellmann?
  27. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think she has lost it. The catchfoot position was also barely held. I think because she hasn't regularly stretched or practised the position in so long that she lost some flexibility and could no longer get into it [without hurting].

I mean if she could still do it [with hurting] there's no reason to ditch it - her layback is currently level 3 only.

Either that, or because she felt totally confident that she would blow the field away as long as she nailed everything else that she didn't want to work hard to reclaim that position. And man was she spot on with the strategy.
  28. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

lowtherlore. shut up.

one of her interviews after Worlds she mentioned that she has a back problem and it is still painful...

i read somewhere that All That Skate will be held in June.
  29. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

And congrats to Yuna for collecting 2 full sets of World medals. :cheer:
  30. RunnersHigh

June, 2013 according to Kurt Brwoning.
  31. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

I wish I will be there to see my girl :(
  32. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Let me start by saying that, as a Yu-Na uber, I’m glad to hear that you’re a Yu-Na uber. :lol: Please bring up something new. This thing of yours, being overly passive-aggressive with anything critical about Yuna, is gettin' old.

Not everything is black and white.

Since when is Yuna your girl?:rofl:
  33. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

:cheer: Kurt in Yuna's shows!:cheer2:
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  34. lauravvv

Thank you for the information. I wonder if there will be two 'All That Skate' shows (of course, technically it's not two, but I you know what I mean) this year also, or if it will be just this one, as Yuna will now undoubtedly have a much more intense training regime before the next season.

I agree with l'etoile - it's great that they invited Kurt Browning again. They absolutely had to do it before he retires from skating in shows. Now I will have to try to guess what will be the other skaters. Pairs and ice dancers are the most difficult. Not in the sense that they are difficult to guess (more like the opposite), but that there are not many to choose from. Volosozhar/Trankov undoubtedly now that they're World champions, but what about the second pair if there will be one? Their main rivals Savchenko/Szolkowy again? It would make the cast too similar to what 'Art on Ice' always has. It seems that Sale/Pelletier won't be skating that soon if they will return to skating at all. As for ice dancers, I really hope that they can invite Virtue/Moir - otherwise, it's very likely that there will be no ice dancers at all (again). As for other male single skaters, Stephane Lambiel, and most likely also Patrick Chan, are a lock. And they could invite Kulik again - and Gordeeva also. They seem to be in good shape. Or Javier Fernandez as the new European champion - as per tradition. Shizuka Arakawa could be one of the female skaters - the last time when she was invited to Yuna's show it was called 'Festa on Ice' (too long ago if you ask me). And Ashley Wagner as the new USA champion - again, as per tradition. I guess Max Aaron is not that suitable for the role of a show star yet :D.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  35. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

^IIRC, Yuna said that for the better preparation for the Olympic season, All That Skate is held just once in June this year.

I'm putting my money on V/M, Lambiel, and Chan already being cast, and if both S/S and V/T could make it, it'd be just like last year's Yuna shows!

Wouldn't SOI schedule prevent Ashley from going to Korea in June, though? I'd love her to go there. Ashley herself recently confessed that skating in Yuna's shows in LA was a huge confidence boost that it helped her skating. Maybe Carolina could get an invitation if no other NA ladies have been cast. Kulik/Gordeeva sound beyond awesome. They did skate in Yuna's shows a couple of times so why not this year? Yagudin also had a total blast last summer and it would be amazing to see him there again. I think Irina should skate there again, too. Yuna's shows have always starred at least one or two unexpected skating stars. I wonder how it'll be like this year's shows.
  36. lauravvv

Thanks - I suspected that. A bit of a pity, but perfectly understandable.

To tell the truth, I didn't think about that - probably you are right.
  37. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Shhhhhhh ;)
  38. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

I hope Emmanuel Sandhu will be invited... You know, there are a lot of Sandhu fans in Korea.. lol
  39. Jenny81

Jenny81 Member

You are kidding, right?? :rollin:
  40. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

Well, let me fix what I said. "There are a lot of Sandhu fans among Korean figure skating fans".