Yu Na Kim is great skater but not even in same league as much greater Michelle Kwan

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by judgejudy27, May 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenny81

Jenny81 Active Member

You are at it again! :rolleyes:
    Sorry but it's not even funny anymore. :slinkaway

2. a56

a56 New Member

OP is one of those bandwagon jumpers. OP heavily depends on statistics, loves comparing skaters, and jumps around from calling skater A the greatest, then the next skater B if skater A has a bad competition. :violin: Not a true fan of any one skater, loves bash/controversial threads, and loves stirring the pot. What's with the need to constantly compare skaters against each other? It's not like there is a COP style scale from 0 to 10 on how to rank the greatest skaters. It's all subjective.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I'm a Kwan fan, but I can't agree with this thread !
    They both have their own qualities, and Yu-Na has already proven she is among the greatest ever, titles or not. There's no war here.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  4. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

Interesting, judgejudy. a year ago you were arguing that Yu-Na is the greatest ever, and when I counted the number of worlds Asada won and Yu-Na won, you claimed that the Olympics count for much more than just worlds. I wonder what made you change your mind! :rolleyes:

5. alchemy void

alchemy void it's time for the perkolator

The definitive ranking is:
    1. Witt
    2. Kwan
    3. Slutskaya
    4. Butyrskaya
    4. Yu Na

The end.

6. os168

os168 Active Member

Hahaha I knew we are going to get another one of this just like every year during the off seasons.

Question.
    If you are so convinced why bother asking for approval?

Answer
    Insecurity can make people funny things, like uhmm.. this thread!!

Alternatives
    Name a single skater is in the same league as Michelle?

2nd Alternatives
    Name a single skater is in the same league as Yuna?

7. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

I'm curious why you think this is true. Yu-Na is a huge celebrity in Korea, in part, because she is the first Korean lady to win both Worlds and Olys in figure skating; the US, OTOH, has many world champs and OGMs. Furthermore, an American OGM in '02 didn't help stop skating's slide in ratings/popularity, so I don't think an American Yu-Na winning in Vancouver would have made much of a difference.

8. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I love both! Both are amazing! Both have faults! 2 of my faves ever.

I wish Michelle had an OGM and more speed.

I wish YuNa could point her feet.

I wish they both had better layback leg line!

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  9. miki88

miki88 New Member

Here we go again.... :scream:

These types of threads get resurrected every off-season. :p

10. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I did not argue Kim as the greatest ever, I argued that she was clearly the best skater of her generation ahead of Asada, which I would still stand by. And yes I remember the Olympics vs Worlds thing we argued about. Of course the Olympics is more important than a single Worlds as you foolishly denied, but it certainly isnt close to on par with 4 Worlds which she is behind Michelle right now. Your basic reading comprehension has not improved in even a 14 month span I see however, congratulations.

11. judgejudy27

Midori Ito
    Janet Lynn

The end :D

Madge Syers
    Janet Lynn
    Midori Ito
    Michelle Kwan
    Sonja Henjie
    Herma Szabo
    Barbara Ann Scott
    Tenley Albright
    Carol Heiss
    Peggy Fleming
    Dorothy Hamill
    Katarina Witt
    Kristi Yamaguchi
    Trixi Schuba (greatest ever in figures)
    Irina Slutskaya
    Tara Lipinski
    Mao Asada
    Lu Chen

12. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Cheylana, I think you have your answer.

13. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I have no interest in debating who's the greatest and what not. I'm not crazy about either.
    But really, why are you so fixated on figuring out who THE greatest skater is anyway? If you love a skater, you love a skater. Something about their skating must have clicked and made your heart flutter to have made you love. Whether they are the greatest or not doesn't change anything. Feel secure enough about your fandom.

I agree with those who said the greatest is the one you like the most. I am fanatic about a few skaters but not all of them are commonly considered "the greatest" by fans. OTOH I'm totally indifferent toward quite a few who probably satisfy the general criteria for greatest skater. So, does it matter?
    Even if there is a need to name the greatest, IMO the number of titles won is only ONE of the criteria for deciding who's best, anyway.

dinakt and (deleted member) like this.
  14. miki88

miki88 New Member

Well-said. ITA with everything you've said. :)

15. os168

os168 Active Member

Define league, if you just mean medals, it doesn't mean much!

A sport is only good at its very best at the time the champion reigns and their relative competitors. Otherwise Sonja Henjie is the greatest of all time, which she is but only in terms of medals. It is a different world out there now :) [Urgh...i promised myself not get involved, time to search for the power off button]

16. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

:watch:

:rofl:

17. a56

a56 New Member

Wow, classy. Insults don't give you credibility.

18. judgejudy27

Sonja Henjie indeed skated when it was a different World. The field of the Yu Na Kim era (if you can even call it that) is hardly a different World than the Kwan era though. The rules are a bit different, but the quality of skating overall is basically the same or lower now, and the triple count isnt really higher.

I meant mostly overall impact on the sport rather than medal count. If it were just on medal count I would have counted Annett Poetzsch or Jeanette Altwegg rather than Janet Lynn or Midori Ito. IMO the skaters I listed all had similar impact on the sport as Yu Na, while Lynn and Ito are the only skaters who had similar impact on the sport as Kwan had. Well Witt and Henjie as well but Witt was a weaker skater than Kwan, Ito, or Lynn by quite a ways.

19. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Surely only you'd be able to answer that question? Can't you tell? :confused:

20. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

There is no way to judge the best in a sport that is well over 100 years old.

21. sliver98

sliver98 Banned Member

Neither Sasha Cohen was the best pure skater between the two, Yuna is great but even last year i thought Joannie was superior artistically than her. Kwan was good but a little slow on the ice and her jumps were tiny artistically fantastic though.

skatefan and (deleted member) like this.
  22. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

I don't know if depression is the right word for it, but I'm sure she's going through a letdown coupled with a loss of purpose and the pressure of all those fans she doesn't want to disappoint. Her whole life was focused on winning the Olympics, and now that she's done it - what next? It must be wierd.

23. duane

duane New Member

...and IMO the same would have happened to Michelle.

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  24. gingercrush

gingercrush New Member

To me Michelle Kwan was an ordinary skater with better than average skills in jumping and her spiral and good artistry (some would say great) who skated at a time when many skaters were less than average and the better skaters tended to be headcases.

Angela-Fan and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Yunaonlyhope

Yunaonlyhope New Member

Yuna's LP of last season was a pure, abstract form of art that took the skating to a next level. Joannie's LP was a rehashed, regurgitated seductress story that we saw once again. What is your definition of superior? Come on, you can't really compare Rochette to Yuna, it is like comparing the artistry of Rachele Flatt (the one who muscles through, Rochette equivalent) to Kwan (an artist), who Yuna succeeded.

26. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

And yet she almost won! :lol:

But :watch: @ this thread.

This off-season gives me headaches. :rofl:

27. judgejudy27

I am laughing at the several "almost winning" references as if that is actually something positive considering the situation. Almost winning isnt exactly impressive when the winner is something you havent lost to in 4 years, and who turned in the worst winning performances since 1990. Lets face it, the Yu Na from Vancouver would have won the Worlds this year by atleast 30 points vs what any of the other women turned out at Worlds this year, that is literally how much she has dropped off in the last year. Put Kim's performances from this years Worlds up against her Vancouver performances and they are maybe 55% as good (and that is probably being kind). Of course that is what happens when you dont compete in a whole year and you probably barely trained until the last minute. And the womens event was pitiful all year, if you arent skating at the level to even win this year you will be buried in 2-3 years time with the same skating where surely the level will be infinitely higher than the epic low it was this season.

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  28. judgejudy27

Not judging your opinion but just genuinely curious who you believed these better skaters who were headcases were. I am guessing Cohen was possibly one, not sure on the others though.

29. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

And she won a Silver medal with that skating :eek: OMG shock horror. I am totally mortified and will now need a lobotomy to recover.

I don't get the venom of this thread. Surely there are more important things in life to get upset about and direct anger at. Both are great skaters and have the positives and negatives.

30. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Name one!

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.