Yu-na files libel suit against university professor

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Simba, Jun 8, 2012.

1. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

Can we please talk about the elephant in the room?! Why is rich, insanely famous, and very successful singer/skater/spokesmodel Kim taking classes to become a gym teacher? What next, nancy kerrigan working toward a manager's position at McDonald's? Or is kim skipping sochi in order to teach 7 year olds how to shoot the duck? And where exactly does one find these "public teaching trials" where apparently complete strangers can watch private students doing their coursework? I wanna know. I have a feeling Paula Abdul trying to teach a class is pretty funny.

2. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

That "public teaching trials" AFAIK was just one session which took about less than half an hour to avoid further interruption of her four-week teaching practicum.

She's majoring in sports education which was her only option when admitted to the university. And at fourth-year circuit, every student in this major is required to take a practicum as one of curricula no matter the circumstances. It's just a must. Boy, things I've learned about Korean education because of this fiasco:blah:

3. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Yes, her pitiful life is building a whole new school for kids in Africa, serving her wonderfully as one of Goodwill ambassadors for UNICEF, and will be continuing to help and take care of people in need.

4. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

Poor old man should have known better before criticizing her majesty. :lol:
    She will sue him to the last peny he has, and have her worshippers jump all over the pour soul.

I dare all of you to criticize me, she says. :rolleyes:

5. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Right or wrong??? We don't know all the facts except what is printed in the newspaper.
    Let 'justice takes its course'. Now it is up to the court to decide whether the professor did defame Yuna or it was just an over-reaction on Yuna's part.

6. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Yeah, she can really take someone out if he/she's in her way. :kickass:

7. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

So this is the attitude that her and her worshippers are taking? :yikes:
    How gracious and classy. :scream:

8. tralfamadorian

tralfamadorian Member

I agree with you, I'm on Yuna's side on this one (and I hate frivolous lawsuits).
    It's one thing that celebrities have to tolerate a higher level of criticism, but even for celebrities there's a line somewhere, and the line is that even they don't have to tolerate false information being spread about them (or criticism based on false facts).
    It's just very irresponsible to incite a lot of harsh criticism against someone without even knowing if the claims are true or not, and it's easy for us from over here to say that she should just get over it, but we're not in Yuna's shoes...
    (Also, I guess most of us here are not from South Korea, maybe in the US/Europe something like this would be an insignificant issue, but maybe in South Korea it is seen differently? I'd agree that for example in the US a counter press release would be more appropriate, but the most appropriate response in a US context may not be the most appropriate response in South Korea. Not that I claim to have any knowledge of South Korean culture, my point is just that things may work differently there.)

The media has SO much power to make or break someone, people really should be more aware and careful about how they use this power. I'm all for setting an example that criticising someone and potentially creating a lot of negativity around them without having a clue whether the criticism has any factual basis is irresponsible. If the man had no actual knowledge about Yuna, he shouldn't have used her as an example or at least he should have made it clear that he's just speculating and not speak as if he knew things for a fact.
    If the things he said were not true, Yuna doesn't have to tolerate that at all IMO, and it's not like she's asking for the guy's head, she just wants an apology.

9. spikydurian

I agree.

10. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

It wasn't even a criticism... :lol:

the problem is that the professor claimed as if it was the truth, however it became apparent that his basis came from false rumors. ATS eventually just asked for an apology but then he didn't. It's like I claimed Ms. A had a sex video because i overheard it somewhere but then it was not true after all.... but the damage has been done all over the media. So, Ms. A just wanted an apology from me but I refused.

There's a big difference between an opinion via criticism which is fine, from a claimed based on false rumors via an opinion which is wrong.

11. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

Not Good

this will damage more Yuna's reputation
    she is really taking all criticisms too seriously she needs to ignore
    the others and not waste such time and needs to stop with too many lawsuits

now sue me. lol :p

12. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

What is interesting is that this professor is not that sincere for his own classes. He is a long media-lover. I say this as his former student.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
  13. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Yuna i think needs to grow up a little bit. The whole world does not bow at her feet. Maybe all the hero worship she gets in South Korea has gone to her head.

14. riveredge

riveredge Active Member

Riigght..because you were there and live in Korea. :rolleyes: Because she's above everyone else and yet she's still supporting and funding Korean fs. Is she behaving like a brat while drinking alcohol at night and attending parties? Oh yeah..the girl is still doing everything she can to help those cancer patients and low income families. Not to mention she's still living a very humble life. All what she did was to attend KU and did some lecture after all it's a requirement while other Korean celebrities and sport-stars are getting the free pass, And yet she was singled out by this professor. She needs to grow up? How dare you, Yuna?

15. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

:rolleyes:

16. lakewood

lakewood Active Member

This professor now insists that his commets was a socail issue and YuNa was merely an example. However, if you listen or read what he really said, you will realize that it was a personal insult full of prejudice for YuNa and star athletes in general. Social issue or not, what he said was completely uneducational.

17. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Well-Known Member

Guys, these below were the reasons why he got sued.
    • He didn't know which University Yuna entered and what her major is until the day he interviewed.
    • He criticized Yuna that she went to Jinseon girl's high school just once for a show. - Her attendance was 100%.
    • He also criticized Yuna's attendance rate is not good enough to graduate. - When she trained & competed in foreign countries, she submitted reports under the statutes of the university and received an F when she refused to submit her Olympics season training schedules. According to the interview from her classmates aired by JTBC, her attendance rate since 2010 had been higher than over 90%.
    • He insisted that "I ,as a professor in a University, never heard of any cyber curriculum to those who train and compete in foreign country or armature athletes." - Korea University has a private rule on Students atheletes qualifications - Rule 5.3 How to take credit for athletes who trains and competes in foreign country.
    • He declared Yuna's doing teaching practice to take a teaching licence even if it is not needed. - Korea University's private rule on bachelorĀ“s degree describes some required subject her teaching practice was one of them - Rule 18. Required subjects of the Department of Education to graduate.

Finally, radio host sorry for Kim Yuna remark instead but he's saying "My point was not Yuna but on blah blah and don't need to say sorry."

18. magnolia

magnolia New Member

If anything, the behavior of all parties involved seem to reflect Korea's hyper-manic media environment. Korean media seems to thrive on crucifying someone, anyone, publicly. I believe it's not at all uncommon for celebrities to kill themselves due to what's written in the media (including and especially internet).

19. spikydurian

I don't think 'hyper-maniac media environment' or media manipulation is solely confined to South Korea. :(

20. RunnersHigh

Are you in Korea? Tell me. Was it only written in the media?
    :watch:

21. magnolia

magnolia New Member

Of course media manipulation isn't confined to South Korea, but you must surely be aware that South Korean media (especially internet) culture is noted for its above the average viciousness. I know not another country where you have a string of celebrities leaving suicide notes alluding to the media as a major cause.

I think being a celebrity in Korea comes with a huge cost and so that's why Yuna had to take the professor's comment seriously, and now the professor has to take care about what he says in the media seriously.

I think another aspect of (South) Korea that makes these media events (which seem rather insignificant to someone living outside of the country and not so worth going through a libel suit but) so major to those living within the country is that the majority of the population is concentrated in Seoul and its outlying areas.

22. lakewood

lakewood Active Member

Your atatement is overrated (there are not that many celebrities who killed themselves), but I agree with you at least partially about media tyring to crucify public figures. (only in Korea? I don't know). I feel that some media say to YuNa, "We will see how perfect you are". YuNa made perfect achievement in skating and now they try to check how perfect her academic achievement is.

True.

23. RunnersHigh

magnolia, no answer to me? I'm waiting. ;)

24. ProgramerUSFS

ProgramerUSFS Member

In this case, Mama as you refer to Park has again impressed me. The strategy of bring this case is to me very interesting. By bringing this case, she sets a standard of making sure everyone thinks before they say anything against Yu Na. The management company that Park runs is wanting positive about YuNa not negative. This is a warning shot to others, and I think it will work. So I am not so sure that Mama doesn't know what she is doing. In fact, each time I hear what she has done, I see the logic in it completely. Just my opinion.

25. RumbleFish

RumbleFish New Member

I had no idea that YNK had a sex video and I don't really care to know.

But here is a real criticism for you.

What bothers me about this whole public teaching trial thing is that the motive for it seems to be just another public relations ploy rather than a serious learning course for her to become a teacher.

I got this impression after learining that she and her management had invited all the media outlet in the classroom the first day she started her teaching trial and take photos and videos of wonderful image of her majesty being kind to all those little school kids.
    How did the students react? They were unhappy that their class was being ruined by all the flash photography and noise so they started booing.

I am sure that YNK has no real intentions to become a school teacher and I can promise never to say anything about her ever again once I am proven wrong.

Actually, this poor old professor hasn't been the only one to criticize YNK in recent period. Number of media outlets have been vocal about her auspicous money making activities such as promoting sales of alcoholic beverage while taking part in a public teaching duty.
    Yes, the law suit againt the old professor might be based on the fact that the guy did present some false information. In my opinion, however, the guy was chosen out of number of critical voices just because he had a crack in his armor unlike rest of YNK critiques. The guy had many valid points about Korean colleges using their athletes to promote the school while giving them favors regarding their academic obligations. During the course, he just happend to make an inadverdent false claim and ended up as a showcase of those who dare to criticize her majesty.

This looks to me like an act of itimidation toward her majesty's critiques if anything.

26. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

This. The main point in this lawsuit is to declare that Yuna's not some "bimbo" who puts up with anything, I mean pretty much any random ridiculous accusations, thrown at her, and not some "easy door" for someone's self-promotion, and that she's a person, too. Again, enough is enough from these shenanigans. AFAIK, this kind of lawsuits are very rare in there and if she and her management decided to take its course up to the court, it means they're very serious with this.

27. RunnersHigh

bek, this time You are wrong. It's all from Yuna herself.

What is happening here in Korea is "This time, Prof, Hwang and some media are too fat!"

And that's why many supports Yuna and ATS's lawsuit. No Mama at all.

28. lakewood

lakewood Active Member

In reality, that was what media requested ATS to do. Both paries (media and ATS) discussed about it and made agreement that the media coverage is limited to the first day. Of course, the high school agreeed on it. And, there was no indication at all that students were unhappy with the media coverage. On the contrary, I think they liked it.

This guy is not old. Clearly, he and the radio show used YuNa to get publicity. If he had not mentioned Yuna's name, nobody would have cared what his view on athlets really is.

29. magnolia

magnolia New Member

Do pardon me for being so impolite as to not addressing your query directly. No, I am not in Korea.

I really and truly don't understand what you are asking with this question? What is 'it'? Anyway, why is the word 'written' boldfaced as if there is any difference as to the manner in which 'it' (what ever 'it' is) was articulated?

Please understand that I was not making a personal attack on Yuna at all but was giving an opinion as to why Yuna has to hit back with a libel suit given the Korean media situation. My opinion was stated in reaction to the opinion of what I assume to be North American posters who didn't understand why Yuna wasn't taking the high road, which would seem smarter if she were e.g., a former American Olympic medalist.

And I do indeed feel that while the libel suit move is absolutely necessary for Yuna to preserve her reputation in Korea, outside of Korea, her move will likely impact her marketability negatively rather than positively. Though, of course, to be honest, Yuna's stardom is largely domestic in any case so ATS probably doesn't care how this will impact her image outside of Korea.

30. RunnersHigh

^ Thank you for the reply,

We've known each other for a long time here is FSU. Right?
    I respect your opinion but as you may know I can't help pointing out a fault.

FYI, almost all major media quoted this case about thousand times.
    And if you know this from the beginning as I wrote above no one could blame ATS or Yuna for it.

ETA: First aired by a radio -> Written everywhere -> Everyone wrote everywhere -> aired by whole nation wide TV stations.