Youtube Monetization Horror Story

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by PeterG, May 4, 2012.

1. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I have a number of youtube accounts, and I have signed up for the monetization thing where you can earn money when your videos are watched. All accounts are attached to the same account, which had some crappy videos. I forgot that this crappy video account was the one all the other accounts were attached to. Because I didn't like these videos, I deleted that crappy video account.

Today I was curious about how much money I had made, so I tried to find that info. But I think because I deleted that account, I can't access this info now. Before, you just had to click on the "Google Adsense" link and it was pretty easy. I have spent HOURS (and hours) today trying to use the help features, but I swear youtube just throws you into the most complicated maze in the world and then laughs at you as you chase your tail.

So I thought, I will attach the other accounts to one of the active accounts. Can't seem to re-activate one account as the main account and now I'm just totally confused. I'll go to bed and see if a good night's sleep helps (which I'm doubting).

Maybe someone here understands this? If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it!! :)

2. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

(((((PeterG))))) I hope your problem gets fixed soon.

3. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Have you tried to call them? Don't know if it sends you into automated hell but this page shows a contact number. Scroll down. Good luck.

http://www.youtube.com/t/contact_us

4. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

Hi PeterG - I also monetize my YouTube videos, but also my blog, and a few other websites. All of the money I get from advertising from the various channels is flowed into the same adsense account.

If I'm understanding you right, even though you deleted that one channel - your earnings should be safe and you should be able to access the data.

Have you tried going to http://adsense.google.com and logging into your account there? That's the direct link right to adsense.

5. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I monetize videos and ads on my manleywoman.com site, but I have yet to actually make any money from them. Do they send you a check automatically, or do I actually have to go in and see how much I've raised? Can you tell I'm new at this?

6. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I was thinking after I went to bed that I should google "Google adsense" and see if there's an easier way to check out my account. It's great to come online and see a direct link. Hope that works! :D

Sure hope so. I think I joined up between one and two years ago and my earnings haven't hit the $50.00 mark yet. I'm not going to get rich on this, but I want to hit that $100 mark at some point! :lol:

This will be very handy if Erica Lee's link doesn't work out for some reason. I've never seen a site with a harder to find "Contact Us" area than youtube. I did find one yesterday and I got a form letter of generic links that looked like the stuff I had been going over and over and over throughout the day. Most unhelpful, but I hadn't been specific enough about my problem, so I'll take a teensy tiny bit of responsibility for that. :D

They send you a cheque when your earnings have reached the $100 mark. If your videos go viral with numbers in the six figures, I think you might get a cheque within the year. For the rest of us, it might be half a decade before we see a cheque. So if this is part of your retirement plan, you may want to add to that! ;)

As for logging in, there used to be a link in the middle of your account page that said "Google AdSense". You just clicked on that and you could get all the info that you needed, including what your earnings were at that point. Now, for the life of me, I can't find anywhere to log in and find this info. But maybe with the above link I will have some luck.

7. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

I would login and check your stats every now and again - it's kinda fascinating (to me, anyhow).

I also have mine set up to direct deposit into my bank account.

I do have a video that has gone (somewhat) viral and so I do hit that minimum about every other month. Before that, it would often take me a whole year to hit the minimum.

8. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

This link got me where I wanted to go in 60 seconds. After spending HOURS the other day at youtube. I have no idea why youtube makes everything so difficult! :confused: (A big thanks, by the way!)

You hit the $100 mark every other mark? Wow! :eek: I think I started the monetization thing in 2010 and I'm now at 59 dollars and something cents. :lol:

9. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

I've been using adsense since 2005, and trust me - most of the time was just a trickle of pennies! Most things I monetize (e.g. my blog) are lucky to bring in a dollar or two a month.

But, you never know what will become popular - I have a video I never thought anyone would watch that now has 3 million views and it alone pulls in over 90% of my adsense income.

Some people make a living off of it. Once they hit on a popular concept (e.g. the mean kitty guy, annoying orange, etc.), they can keep replicating the success and are soon making a great income. Or, if something goes incredibly viral (e.g. facebook advice shoot the laptop dad), they can have an incredible windfall. Problem with all cases is that it is all incredibly unpredictable - the cash flow can stop as quickly as it began.

Even my little video has swung widely in popularity - usually based on whether or not YouTube chooses to promote it as a "featured video" or it lands at the top of search results, etc... most of which is completely out of one's control. And on top of that, income swings based on what advertisers are currently paying for the ad space. I've had advertisers pay pennies per click, while other times they're paying over a dollar per click - makes a big difference in my bottom line.

An average estimation can be achieved by saying that $1 will be earned for every 1000 views a video receives. This is a very rough estimation but on the whole, over a longer period of time, should not be too far off. (Though as more and more people watch on their mobile devices it may become less true - views on mobile devices are not "monetizable" currently.)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I have a video on my channel that has over 200,000 views. Unfortunately, I definitely don't own the rights and can't monetize it :p

I also have a few skating videos that have over 10,000 views (mostly because they've been up for years). One in particular is really pissing me off, because I skated to Claire de Lune, and Warner Bros. had it blocked in the US on copyright grounds. I really think it's fair use, but I'm no lawyer and I need to write up an explanation explaining why I think it's fair use.

It was at a USFS-sanctioned competition. Anyone know how music rights work as it relates to skating? Obviously USFS and various TV networks are able to broadcast competitions with dozens of copyrighted songs. Surely licensing isn't acquired for every single song used ... or is it? I think news reporting is one of the tenants of the fair use exception, but would a video of myself skating in a competition be reporting?

11. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

How did Warner Bros. Get the copyright to Clair de Lune? That's over 100 years old. I thought that music went into the public domain at some point.

12. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

I've often had videos/music blocked by the automatic algorithm, but once I write the explanation about why I think I have the right to use things - I usually do not have an issue.

As to that particular piece of music, it depends on what version you used. If it was an arrangement/orchestration of it that has recently been recorded - it may not yet be public domain. I'm guessing the version you use has recently been in a movie soundtrack (Twilight?).

You definitely have the right to perform to whatever you like at events. I'm not sure how exactly it works in the US, but in Canada the organizers of those events must pay a rights fee to SOCAN which covers all music used. However when you then take that performance, record it, and rebroadcast it over a different medium - those rights fees paid would not transfer to that situation (IMHO).

I would argue fair use, as your performance is "transformational".. but I'm no expert.

Even with fair use, you may not be able to monetize - but should at least be able to show it with the audio intact.

13. vesperholly

The composition itself did, but performances can be copyrighted by the artists.

:scream: Ocean's Eleven :)

:mad: I just found this video, with the whole song (and 96,000 views!) and it's not blocked - it even has a link to buy the song on Amazon! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2Uo5kcDpyg

14. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

^In that case, the money earned by the monetization is not going to the video owner, but instead to the copyright owner of that song. Some rights holders have agreements with YouTube that allow this to happen as a compromise - the videos can stay online, rights holders make money which keeps them happy. It's weird that yours was completely blocked, though - as you'd think the same would happen in both cases. The systems are automated though, so I have seen it be quirky. You'd have a case to contact YouTube and gave a "real person" check it out.

15. xxxtiffxxx

xxxtiffxxx Member

I've been on youtube for quite some time, but I was still confused about why I went from consistently making nearly 4 figures a month, to less than half of that now. I might just have a video that's no longer being promoted. I have over a hundred videos so I never really keep track of their individual view counts. I also had no idea that views on mobile devices aren't monetizable. I hope that eventually changes.

16. vesperholly

That's nuts, considering half the videos I watch on my phone have ads. :rolleyes:

xxxtiffxxx, what kind of videos do you have on YT?

17. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

xxx (hope it's okay to call you that for short), I was wondering the same thing.

:p

18. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

Do you never analyze your analytics? You don't have to keep track of this stuff yourself, just login to your account and hit the analytics button. All kinds of graphs come up that chart the popularity of your videos over time. The "traffic referrers" section can let you know exactly what is happening as far as where your views are coming from (links from websites, embeds on sites like facebook, youtube featured video views, etc.). That's a huge loss of revenue you've had - if I were you, I'd be figuring out why. Some of it is definitely out of your control, but not all of it is.

A four figure a month income in YouTube is incredibly impressive... even half of that as you say you have now... still wonderful. So, congrats.

19. xxxtiffxxx

xxxtiffxxx Member

I just do hair and makeup tutorials, and clothing/fashion stuff too, my youtube name is Bighairbiggerlashes :). PeterG, that's fine. I registered during the middle of my teen angst days which explains the multiple x's :p.

I only check every once in a while since I'm glad to be making any money from quick videos that I do at home, even if it's a smaller amount. I just looked after reading your post and think I have it figured out. I have two videos that have significantly more views than my other ones. I remember one of them getting 20k views one month, but for April it only had 8k. The other one is about the same, so I suppose that's where my loss is coming from. Your post was very helpful; I'll have to start keeping a closer eye on my analytics :).

20. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

xxxooo :)

So am I right in assuming that videos that gets lots of views are the "Youtube Recommendations" videos? Is that random...or does youtube recommend new videos that are getting a lot of hits? (Have no idea how recommendations come about...) :confused:

21. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

I have not found any method to the madness that is YouTube recommendations.

I assume YouTube likes to promote videos that "perform well" (financially). From that, monetized videos would be more likely to be promoted than non-monetized videos. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine as to how they are selected.

My one popular video is called "cows mooing" (yes, random I know... go figure)... and it was promoted as a featured video for a very long time and it took it from a 200000 views video to a 2 million views video. All the sudden, sometime after hitting 2 million, it has no longer been "featured" with any regularity. I'm still getting a lot of views from search, from related videos, etc... but that missing featured video traffic has been noticeable.

22. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

Thanks for sharing. Great channel. You have a lot going for you - especially a good niche topic and consistent updates. Both things I lack on mine (eureka345)!

We have similar total video views - but you have a ton more subscribers and make WAY more money than I do.

So clearly while I know a bit more about the analytics side of things... you're doing what actually matters (making videos) a lot more than I am :) I've tried to post more consistently.. it just never happens. And I'm not about to get in front of the camera myself either! So I'll just be happy with my hundred dollars every couple of months!

23. xxxtiffxxx

xxxtiffxxx Member

Thanks, I subscribed to your channel :). A little over a year ago, I had almost ten thousand subscribers(don't know about my views though), and I made barely over a hundred dollars a month. I guess my consistent uploading is what's making a big difference. I deleted my first few videos from 2009 recently because I could see how terrified I looked on camera :p.

24. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Wow, 3 million views! I checked out my mountain sheep videos, and the most views I got were 400-something. I took it with my first camera that could do video and I sweaaaaar that the quality was not so horrid as it appears to be on screen now. It's so bad that I'm not even going to post a link to the video! :slinkaway

The camera I use now was purchased in 2009, I believe. I just made some videos the other day and there are blotches showing, not sure if that means I need a new camera or if I was shooting into the sun... I'm such am amateur! :lol:

25. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

Consistent uploading would definitely explain the difference. How many hours a week do you spend on making videos?

Peter - blotches.. hmm... doesn't really sound to me like a "need a new camera" problem. Shooting into the sun can cause lens flare - that could be it. Do you have an example we can look at?

26. xxxtiffxxx

xxxtiffxxx Member

It varies, sometimes just 30 minutes a week if I only make one video, up to 2 hours if I do three or four. A video takes me anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to film, plus 15-20 minutes of editing. My most recent upload is less than 3 minutes long, but because of multiple clothing changes it took around 15 minutes to film. For the editing process I cut out all the in betweens, add music, and occasionally do voice-overs.

27. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Sorry, I didn't like how it looked, so I deleted it. But after viewing other stuff shot that day, I thin it was because I was shooting directly towards the sun (or close enough to that angle). :)

28. Erica Lee

Erica Lee New Member

Tiff - Well you're definitely getting a decent income for the amount of time you put into it. Hopefully the revenue stream rebounds to its former level. The unpredictability of it is part of what would prevent me from ever going "full time".

Peter - Yeah, sun makes perfect sense.

29. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

I am finally getting around to going through some old photos (and learning how to make a video out of photos) and I posted a video with photos I took at Skate Canada in Victoria. Youtube sent me a message saying that they could not monetize the video because I did not own rights to the images. I know that I don't have the right to video that someone else shot, but I thought if I took the photos myself, I had the right to use them whatever way I wanted. Maybe only if I take the photos in a public setting? And these pictures were taken inside a private venue?

30. vesperholly

Dispute it and say you took the photos. They probably think it's an amalgam of pictures from AP or something.