Your Thanksgiving Celebration!!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

Alas, tonight is hosted by a Canadian :p because she was away for Canadian Thanksgiving and then the Americans thought her house was nicer and bigger, so we decided it would be at her house. Four Aussies, four Canadians, three Americans, two French one Dane/Spaniard, one German, one Kiwi and two Brits. The Americans well and truly outnumbered, but they have made a delicious looking turkey and we let them do pumpkin pie too. And real cranberry sauce. We also have "Canadian" apple crisp (which seems the same as "Australian" apple crumble), we have a lot more dessert than other food, which in my minds how it should be :lol: We have pavlova, South Australian beer, homemade Lebanese bread, hummus, falafel and fattoush (Lebanese bread salad) that we bought, since there are a few vegetarians.

The other two Thanksgiving meals will have more Americans, but I will still be taking an non-traditional dessert (I may even try baklava!) because I don't like pumpkin pie and I like dessert! I think one of them will be pretty traditional, and the other, another mish-mash.

2. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

This sounds like fun Angelskates!

3. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Happy thanksgiving to our neighbours south of the border. :cheer2:

4. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not American, so my plan is to do nothing special ;) But I'd like to wish a Happy Thanksgiving to everyone celebrating the holiday!

Can't you combine the two? A lot of Thanksgiving dishes could be given a Middle Eastern twist and be all the better for it.

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I guess there are those who value tradition and want the same dishes every year, and those who like to play with the idea a bit. On one of his Christmas specials, Jamie Oliver did a jerk turkey, pointing out that many of the flavours in jerk seasoning are similar to those traditionally associated with Christmas, so why not? I think many Middle Eastern spices also do well with traditional Thanksgiving dishes and ingredients.

6. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

All I want when dealing with my family is alcohol.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

The Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock, not at Jaffa. Deal with it! :p

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  8. PRlady

PRlady Smoking

Well, again, I'm not making the Thanksgiving meal but if I were I would stick to the classics. People expect the classics and you shouldn't mess with them.

But it's now a tradition in my family that I do a more exotic buffet the night after Thanksgiving. Thus I made my Israeli friend's hummus from scratch, did the Moroccan chicken last night, do the Turkish lamb and Israeli eggplant dishes tomorrow....everyone will be happy except my mom who hates all foreign food. Which is probably a reason I love it.

And Israelis who complain about American food and coffee (paging Andrey and several others) get a big :p from me. ;)

9. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

:D Actually some of the Thanksgiving dishes people have mentioned in this thread sound quite delicious and make me wish I was invited over! (not for turkey; I'm a vegetarian). I have no opinion on coffee, other than that I dislike it everywhere - but don't get me started on the quality of the produce outside of farmers' markets and the like.

10. doubleturn

doubleturn Rinkside on my iPhone

Usually I go to my brother's house for dinner. This year, I wound up working on the holiday (part of an IT Helpdesk for a global healthcare company). Therefore, Thanksgiving will be me, Mom & Dad at a local hotel restaurant.

11. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I'm having Thanksgiving with a vegetarian. Usually I make a split turkey breast, she always has exactly one bite (her choice, I don't make her!), but this year we're doing it at her house and she was talking about giving the rest to her dogs, so I bought the split turkey breast and will be making my own belated thanksgiving meal this weekend :saint:

today we're having quiche, kale chips, stuffing, potatoes, cheese & homemade bread, and numerous desserts that have not been revealed as yet. But first we're going to our favorite dance teacher's annual Turkey Day class of ab work and stretches to pre-empt all the gluttony.

DaveRocks and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Get the hospital beds ready, I'm in charge of the turkey this year. :EVILLE:

Turkey
    Cornbread stuffing with apples and sausage
    English Peas
    Mashed potatoes
    Sweet Potatoes with marshmellows
    Cranberry sauce (from a can)
    Yeast rolls
    Various wines and alcoholic beverages

Dessert:
    Mini cheesecakes

Just me, my mom, my dad, and the bratling this year. My older brother and sister aren't speaking and it's the well if she's coming, I'm not coming/if he's coming I'm not coming so my moom just said screw y'all, cook your own damn turkey, I'm not playing that game.

13. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Two of my freshmen students couldn't get home for the break, so Mr. DaveRocks and I are having them over for a big feast this afternoon. I'm pretty sure they'll quickly realize that I'm a far better prof than a cook! :lol:

14. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

People will begin arriving soon and, while I'm glad I didn't have to mess with the turkey, the kitchen doesn't smell like roasted turkey. :wuzrobbed:

DaveRocks and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I am a vegetarian, but in the past when I was not, I had enjoyed Thanksgiving turkey dinners. My favorite part was always the pumpkin pie though, and I have kept up that tradition (and watching football).

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

16. SHARPIE

SHARPIE Hapless Board Owner Staff Member

Hope you have all had/having a lovely day :D

17. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

This is the first year in a very long time that we didn't have anyone over...my sister came down from Arkansas, but it's hard to call her a "guest". But really, just my siblings and parents. We went pretty low-key because nobody felt like doing the whole nine yards; still had all the food but we ate off of paper plates. :evil: ;) Instead of making potatoes from scratch, my mom bought some pre-made mashed potatoes from GFS and I chucked it in the Kitchen Aide with cream cheese, half-and-half and butter, and then baked it...SO good and half the work. Mashed 'taters from scratch still taste better, but considering how easy these were, they were almost as good.

Now I'm off for my new Thanksgiving tradition, which is seeing a movie with my aforementioned sister. :D After that I think I shall run by my place of employment (le Tarjay) and enjoy the commotion without having to work. I have a closing shift tomorrow, so it's the first year since I've started working retail that I haven't had to open on Black Friday. Not really complaining too much.

18. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

That always happens to me too when I'm over there looking for certain Muppet videos to send to friends and Family and/or to post here and at the other MB's I belong to in order to wish everyone a, in this case, Happy Thanksgiving. :) :D I find the one I'm looking for and then...Next thing I know, it's two hours later, but I've got this great snuggy and happy feeling inside me. :)

I hope everyone had a great day today.

I also hope no one took out a TV by throwing a plate full of Turkey at it after their respective football team laid a..well...I can't resist myself here...Turkey of a game.

*running for cover now....* :D

19. mkats

mkats New Member

I'm with you on that :p spent a lovely day studying by myself until dinnertime called, le sigh.

The time I have to spend with them might be shitty, but I'm thankful for having had a wonderful year, a great circle of friends, and that includes you lot on FSU. Happy Thanksgiving!

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

My usual Thanksgiving menu plus a delicious cake of unidentified nature my aunt baked. I can only say for certain there was flower, sugar and eggs. Not sure what else but it was yummy. So. Full. Can barely type. Happy Thanksgiving, rude Amerikans!

21. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Had a very bland dinner at my in-laws. Tomorrow my stepmom is coming and we're all cooking. I'm excited about it because I make a damn good turkey.

22. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

Post photos please :cheer:

23. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday and I love all the delicious food. But I was dreading it, since following my diet plan religiously and I've dropped 15 lbs. (from the 22 lbs. I want to lose altogether).

Yes, I cheated, but I suppose it could have been worse. I ate turkey with gravy, veggies, spinach salad, fresh fruit (no cheating there). My cheating consisted of eating the stuffing, a spoonful of mac & cheese, a bit of cranberry sauce and a slice of apple pie. But...

I avoided the mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn casserole, dinner rolls, pumpkin pie and sweet potato cheesecake. Not expecting to have lost any weight when I step on the scale tomorrow, but hoping I haven't gained a significant amount!

24. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

skateboy you do those of us trying to reduce proud! And you are so close to your goal.....I'm afraid I tasted everything put in front of me but I did opt to take seconds on the roasted root vegies instead of the taters ( and I love mashed potatoes.)

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.