Your program music ideas for specific skaters or in general (competitive programs)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Sylvia, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Flying Camel

Flying Camel Member

I'm also surprised that nobody ever skates to Prokofiev's 'Cinderella', especially since so many of the other ballets are overused: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJisNyWDC0I

I love this music. I remember Angela Nikodinov skating to it. I think Ashley Wagner would do good with this music.

2. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Yukari Nakano used it as her FS in 2006-07, and Becky Bereswill used it in 2007-08. For the men, Ryan Jahnke used it in 2002-03.

3. edonice

edonice New Member

Good to know! Well, I wouldn't mind seeing it again, especially since there's so much good music in that ballet.

4. Proustable

Proustable New Member

5. shan

shan Well-Known Member

6. hlp728

hlp728 Active Member

Cyn and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Ladida

Ladida Member

8. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I was about to post the same thing. Also, the other operas of the period.
    (Nutcracker, Sleeping Beauty, Swan Lake etc)
    Although I don't think anyone in singles could come close to Sasha or anyone in pairs come close to Shen and Zhao's renditions of the Pas de Deux (My favorite part of the ballet)
    I wonder whether someone would ever do rite of spring. That would be really cool if it were pulled off well.

9. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I want her to have a new free skate. I think the Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso is way to slow for her.

10. iceberg08

iceberg08 Active Member

11. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

I wish that someone would use the sweeping opening movement of Schumann's Symphony #3 ("Rhenish"). I could see a powerful-yet-feminine lady like Nagasu using it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U8NCfDwbFk

I'd love to see a great ice-dance couple known for their sharp fast footwork tackle this great Spanish 'Sevillanas' song sung by the incomparable Victoria de los Angeles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE6PBoosDXg

12. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I've said this before, and I may have even said it in this thread, but I think someone should do a Harry Potter LP, including the theme and whichever individual portions of the score interest the skater (probably based on the skater's favorite characters/films/books). It's such a pretty score, and it'd be so interesting.

13. CantALoop

CantALoop Well-Known Member

"Adagio in D Minor" and "Surface of the Sun" by John Murphy from the movie Sunshine.

The Sunshine soundtrack would fit a skater/team that is both lyrical and powerful. Most of it is slow, but incredibly heroic, powerful, and moving, something that a skater in the vein of Matt Savoie could pull off.

14. Taso

Taso Well-Known Member

Right now I can only remember Sale & Pelletier to have ever used Wagner. I&K certainly have the acting abilities to pull it off, but I wonder if they'll end up developing enough power and amplitude to have enough speed with such long, swooping moves as T&I would require?

I personally would love to have seen Dmitri Dmitrenko do a 2 season-long tribute to the The Ring, using Rheingold for sp and Walkure for the lp the first season, and Siegfried the sp and Gotterdammerung the lp in the second season. Take that, Candeloro :rofl:

15. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

:rofl: Perfect.

16. sadya

sadya Active Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  17. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

I really like the music of Devotchka. Some songs have vocals, but others don't, I personally think it would be really cool if someone skated a short program to the song "We're Gonna Make It" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmF_3N6C4oo. A very different piece of music, with lots of nuances in it.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yesterday I had the good fortune of hearing the St. Petersburg Philarmonic perform Rach 2 and Scheherezade--the two old skating war horses. To say that it was amazing is an understatement.

After a 10 minutes long standing O, we were treated to an encore of Edward Elgar's Salut d'amour. It's such a pretty piece of music. It calls for a pwetty ice pwincess of your choice. :p
    Do we have any more of those left??

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  19. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Salut d'amour is very pretty.

20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

But who should skate to it? Who is a pretty enough skater? :p

21. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Perhaps a pretty Finn :lol:. That new girl Juulia is quite gorgeous :).

22. literaryfreak

literaryfreak Well-Known Member

I love :swoon: the Liebestod. I've been dying for anyway to use it, although preferably ice dancers. I can picture soaring, high-flying lifts right now.

Other music I'd love to see used in skating:

I'd love to see this duet from The Pearl Fishers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrEBGodAvU. I think the melody is so lovey and the singing so powerful and romantic. Ice dancers again, I guess. :lol:

I'd like to see someone use music from Don Giovanni, specifically from the finale. This music is just sheer, raw power.

Also, I've had an itch lately for someone to use "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane for an exhibition piece. I think it would make for a lovely, sweeping program across the ice.

23. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

Kiira?

24. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

I'd like to see Mao skate to one of these, especially Adagio. I think she could pull it off now that she has done Bells of Moscow.

25. miki88

miki88 New Member

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  26. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

There are several pieces of music I would love to see used in skating, both for competitive and exhibition programs. With few exceptions, these are non-skater specific).

Yankowskas/Coughlin: Main Title/Excerpts from the Basic Instint Soundtrack (previously used by Wötzel/Steuer in Lillehammer)

"Butterfly" by Tori Amos (possible exhibition for Alissa Czisny)

"Ace of Swords" by the Alan Parsons Project

"Roaring of the Bliss" by Tangerine Dream

"Dance of Angels" by Oysten Sevag

"Baltar's Dream" by Bear McCreary (Battlestar Galactica Season Two Soundtrack). I would love to see a Pairs team use this as a SP.

"Prelude to War" by Bear McCreary (BSG Season 2 - at 8 minutes obviously needing to be edited down). The entire piece is amazing if you listen to it, but I am partial to the first 2 minutes, 3:45-3:55 (kodo drums), 6:35-7:32, and 7:55 to the end as part of a skating program. This would probably work best as a Men's FS, with a skater who can demonstrate explosive passion as well as balletic smoothness, possibly Daisuke Takahashi. Yagudin IMO would have been fantastic with this.

"The Shape of Things to Come" by Bear McCreary BESG (Season One Soundtrack). At a run time of 2:55, it could easily be edited to a SP.

- Can you tell I adore the music from this amazing television series? :lol: :p

"Primavera" by Ludovico Einaudi. Again, massive editing needed for time, but the theme repeats enough where it could be done smoothly. I brought this up in the Ashley Wagner thread as a possiblity. Some may recognize this from the trailer from the movie The Reader".

This would have to be an exhibition program, and it's cheesy as hell, but "Hold On Tight" by Electric Light Orchestra would make a fun, upbeat program.

Just for shits and giggles, I would love to see someone do an exhibition to one of

"Liar" by The Rollins Band

"Rock and Roll High School" by The Ramones

"So What'cha Want" by The Beastie Boys

….And finally (and of course, these would never, ever fly in a million years), but I'd give my left tit if someone had the stones to punk the ISU and pull one of these off:

"Kick Out The Jams" (Henry Rollins and Bad Brains version)

"Freak on a Leash" by KoЯn, especially the section beginning at 2:30 till the end. Somehow, I don't think the lyrics "You and I were meant to be A cheap fcuk for me to lay" :rofl: )

"I Must Increase My Bust" by Lords of Acid

"Add It Up" by the Violent Femmes

"Hot Dog" by Limp Bizkit with the F-bomb dropped 46 times in it, can you imagine the audience's reaction :eek: :yikes: :scream: :rofl:

"Fcuk You" by Ottorongo

"Golden Shower of Hits (Jerks on 45)" by The Circle of Jerks. It'd be worth it to see watch the faces of the older audience members' reactions to this medley of "Along Comes Mary," "Close to You," "Afternoon Delight," "Having My Baby," "Love Will Keep Us Together," and "Divorce" (by Tammy Wynette). :rofl:

"Sex Dwarf" by Soft Cell

Hmmm……after looking at the last part of this post, maybe I need to put together an ice show titled "Parental Advisory: Tipper Gore's Nightmare On Ice" :p :lol:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  27. Tanja90

Tanja90 New Member

"Life is beautiful" for cappellini lanotte!

28. kapriza

kapriza Member

second that! they're so lively and lovely couple with a great dramatic potencial.

I would also love Mao to skate to Moon River :swoon:

29. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Armin Mahbanoozadeh (@Armin_hammer) tweeted today:

30. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

I love that the skaters seem to be interested in fan suggestions for their music! The internet and social networks have certainly made it better for fans to be more a part of the skating world.