Your Music Addiction

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Cachoo, May 27, 2012.

1. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about the "best" group or music. This is what I'd love to know: What are the albums, 8 tracks, cassettes, cd's, itunes that you played over and over and over and over again? Maybe you wore them out. Maybe you still play them.

Do tell.

I'm still trying to whittle my list down but I know the very first album I wore out was Carole King's "Tapestry." I listened morning, noon and night.

2. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

When I was a teenage musical theater geek, I think I listened to Michael Crawford's Andrew Lloyd Webber album (on cassette) every single day. :)

3. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

Counting Crows August and Everything After. No Doubt Tragic Kingdom. Counting Crows Recovering the Satellites. Counting Crows This Desert Life. Bryan Adams Cuts Like a Knife. Bryan Adams Reckless. Bryan Adams on a Day Like Today...well, just about every Bryan Adams. I'm not very highbrow.

4. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

Tapestry is always on my playlist. I also have Oingo Boingo and The Cure.
    When I was a teen I wore out Edie Brikell's What I Am.

5. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

A Different Kind of Truth - Van Halen (I've just about worn out track #10...)

Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too - New Radicals

Pet Sounds - Beach Boys

Rebel Yell - Billy Idol

Best of Sade - Sade

Doors Greatest Hits - The Doors

The Guilded Palace of Sin - The Flying Burrito Brothers

At Worst...the Best of Boy George and Culture Club

Greatest Hits ll - The Eagles

Love is Blue - Claudine Longet

A Man and a Woman Soundtrack - Francis Lai

6. Wyliefan

If we're also talking about current addictions, Edens Edge (new-ish country group) is mine. I happen to be wearing their T-shirt as we speak. :D Until their first album comes out next month, I've been playing their EP and their new single obsessively.

7. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I can only think of three albums that I played over and over and over.

The first was Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours". I was on vacation with my Mom and Aunt when it was released. When I got home, I ran inside and hollered at my sisters, "Did you get Rumours yet? Did you get Rumours yet?" Of course they had, I think at one point our family had three copies! :lol:

The next was "Private Dancer" by Tina Turner. I remember when "Let's Stay Together" came out and I thought it was possibly the most amazing recording of all time. From how I remember it, the album came out many months after that single was released, so I found a 12 inch recording with a non-album song on the flip side. That would have to hold me until the album came out. (P.S. I just googled to find out what the b-side was and it is I Wrote A Letter - can you believe a song this good didn't even make one of her albums???

And the third was "Control" by Janet Jackson. I had her first two albums, but this one was something different (meaning something other-worldly, as far as my ears were concerned). I knew something was up with the single "What Have You Done For Me Lately" and the video which was equally astounding. When I got the LP, I would play it three times a day. Every day. For at least six months. I just thought it was one of the most amazing works ever created.

8. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

My car has 6 CD spaces. I have Vivaldi lute concertos, Dvorak trios, 3 Beethoven trios Cds and a Gordon Lightfoot. I think I have memorized every note of every piece and song! Approaching Lavender indeed! That man has the most beautiful voice.

9. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

Gala-Lush
    Origin of Symmetry-Muse
    Best of-Radiohead
    Hooked on Classics
    Le Birthday Album-Indochine
    Trompe Le Monde-The Pixies
    Darklands-The Jesus and Mary Chain
    The Suburbs-Arcade Fire

10. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The albums I could listen to forever:

Kelly Clarkson - Breakaway
    Jason Mraz - Waiting for my Rocket to Come
    Joss Stone - Soul Sessions
    Adele - 21

11. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Love classical music in general, and Gordon Lightfoot is one of my all time favorite singer songwrtiers, so I listen to lots of his CDs (my favorite CDs of his being Sundown, Dream Street Rose, and Summertime Dream). Approaching Lavender is a gorgeous song!

Other CDs that get lots of play - John Williams - Summon the Heroes (1996 Olympic CD)
    Keith Lockhart & the Boston Pops - The Celtic Album, My Favorite Things (a tribute to Richard Rodgers)
    Camelot - original Broadway Cast (Richard Burton, Julie Andrews, Robert Goulet)
    The Sound of Music - Original Broadway cast, movie soundtrack, 1998 Broadway revival
    The King & I - movie soundtrack, and the studio recording done on PBS in the 1990's (with Julie Andrews and Ben Kingsley)
    South Pacific - Original Broadway cast, recent revival, concert version done a few years ago with Reba McIntyre and Brian Mitchell Stokes
    Billy Joel -Turnstiles
    Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark
    James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
    Bryan Adams - Reckless
    Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves - soundtrack
    Mr. Holland's Opus - score and soundtrack
    Amadeus - soundtrack

12. paskatefan

Love classical music in general, and Gordon Lightfoot is one of my all time favorite singer songwriters, so I listen to lots of his CDs (my favorite CDs of his being Sundown, Dream Street Rose, and Summertime Dream). Approaching Lavender is a gorgeous song!

Other CDs that get lots of play - John Williams - Summon the Heroes (1996 Olympic CD)
    Keith Lockhart & the Boston Pops - The Celtic Album, My Favorite Things (a tribute to Richard Rodgers)
    Camelot - original Broadway Cast (Richard Burton, Julie Andrews, Robert Goulet)
    The Sound of Music - Original Broadway cast, movie soundtrack, 1998 Broadway revival
    The King & I - movie soundtrack, and the studio recording done on PBS in the 1990's (with Julie Andrews and Ben Kingsley)
    South Pacific - Original Broadway cast, recent revival, concert version done a few years ago with Reba McIntyre and Brian Mitchell Stokes
    Billy Joel -Turnstiles
    Joni Mitchell - Court & Spark
    James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
    Bryan Adams - Reckless
    Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run, Born in the USA
    Bruce Hornsby - The Way It Is
    Huey Lewis & the News - - Time Flies (a greatest hits collection)
    Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves - soundtrack
    Mr. Holland's Opus - score and soundtrack
    Amadeus - soundtrack

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  13. Wyliefan

I LOVE the Camelot original Broadway cast album. :swoon:

14. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I have this album too-or rather, my Mother has it stashed away in some dark corner of her overcrowded house. Now I want to hear it! When I was 14, I was an unpaid apprentice at an outdoor summer stock theatre group in Atlanta. We did Camelot-I was an extra. Got to walk across the stage a few times, which was a very big deal for a 14 year old. Anyway, our Lance was the #2 man in the original Broadway production. He was amazing! However, when he sang "C'est Moi" his sword got stuck in its sheath and he was singing beautifully while tugging at it. We were all dying laughing!

15. paskatefan

I will not listen to the movie soundtrack version of Camelot. Vanessa Redgrave can't sing! Julie rules!

:lol: I was first introduced to Camelot as a kid, when my parents had a reel to reel tape recorder. Camelot was the first stereo recording they bought. As a grown-up, I bought it on cassette, and upgraded it to CD. It's still my all time favorite musical (in general I love Rodgers & Hammerstein & Lerner & Loewe musicals), and I thank my parents and my day camp/sleepover camp and music assembly teachers for all that.

Some other recordings I love:

Riverdance
    Lord of the Dance
    Spamalot
    Jersey Boys
    Oklahoma
    My Fair Lady
    Guys & Dolls
    The Mission
    First Knight
    Little Women
    Independence Day
    Life is Beautiful
    Schindlers' List
    Apollo 13
    Jurassic Park
    Lord of the Rings
    The American President
    Forrest Gump - soundtrack & score
    Father of the Bride
    Disney's Fantasia (the original) and Fantasia 2000

16. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

To me, a great album is one that you can play all,the way through without skipping a song, and there are three of those for me.

Def Leppard -Pyromania
    Def Leppard - Hysteria
    30 Seconds to Mars - A Beautiful Lie

And there are two albums that are nearly perfect:

Adam. Lambert - For Your Entertainment
    30 Seconds to Mars - This is War

I have Wore out the two Def Leppard albums in high school, and thankfully, CDs and MP3s seem indestructible. :)

17. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Peter I hear you on Rumours---my friend had a new Firebird and we rode around constantly with Fleetwood Mac. (That car was damned uncomfortable.)

I love the variety of choices and the variety one person might have (Holley with classical and then Gordon.) I love Camelot too. I think that--"West Side Story" and "Jesus Christ Superstar" were the musicals I listened to all of the time. (My dad would buy them at Sears and bring them home for my sister and me. Missing dad...)

For me my list would not be complete without Bruce Springsteen. I like most of his stuff but the albums I wore out were "Born to Run", "Darkness on the Edge of Town" and "The River."

There is only one classical piece I listen to constantly: Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D Minor. Love, love, love it..

Thinking about soundtracks...

18. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

Anything by Ace of Base :eek: ... and The Supremes :D

19. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I almost added Ace of Base on my list. lol I was obsessed with their album in H.S. but since I havent listened to it in years (save a song or two here or there) I figured it wasn't eligible.

20. Wyliefan

Hear, hear! :respec: To this day I can't believe they took such a delightful musical and made such an awful, leaden movie out of it.

21. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

Huh, I realized that the things that I play over and over are playlists rather than albums, especially in the last five years. Some of the stuff that I've kept on loop or had in my car for a long time:

A playlist of Jason Mraz's songs, mostly live recordings that I ripped from Youtube. I think most of the tracks I ripped aren't even on an album.

American Idiot - Green Day + a playlist of other Green Day songs from other albums

Soundtrack to Les Choristes + some other songs that the main soloist, Jean-Baptiste Maunier, also performed. Actually, it was part of a playlist of my favorite French music that I would also play repeatedly.

Romance of the Violin - Joshua Bell

Greatest Hits - Itzhak Perlman (had Carmen, Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso, Symphonie Espagnole, etc. on it)

And this might be a little unexpected, but...I effing love the band Hanson. I actually didn't become a big fan until their third album Underneath, which is one of my favorite albums of all time. I was probably rotating through four different Hanson albums in my car at one point.

Playlist of Adam Lambert tracks. His new album Trespassing is actually what I've been playing over and over for the last two weeks now. I think it'll be an album that I repeat for a long time.

Lungs - Florence + The Machine

Playlist of Kanye West tracks, mostly from Graduation and My Beautiful, Dark Twisted Fantasy

The Fame - Lady Gaga

Playlist of Adele tracks

22. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

The list of albums/CD's/music that I've collected/kept in my over 40 year "addiction" is long.
    I used to spend my allowance on them.

Two of the very best, that have been a part of my life since they were issued - and still are:

"Sgt. Pepper" - The Beatles
    "American Pie" - Don McLean

23. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

Any album/CD by the Beatles, Temptations, Stones, Smokey, or Aretha from the 60's and 70's.

Current - Anthony Hamilton "Woo", Amy Winehouse "Back to Black"

Greatest Hits - Animals, T Rex, beach Boys, Bee Gees, Beethoven.

24. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

The CD's I listen to most often, usually in the car:

Steve Tyrell: A New Standard
    Sinatra: The Columbia Years
    Bette Midler Sings Rosemary Clooney (My granddaughter loves This Old House and Slow Boat to China)
    The Pianist soundtrack
    Steve Green--my favorite Christian artist; amazing voice and wonderful song selection, none of the choruses that say the same thing a dozen times or any manipulative tearjerkers; his version of "A Mighty Fortress" will give you goosebumps

25. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Simon & Garfunkel-The Concert in Central Park. Wore out two cassettes, scratched one CD in the car. Thank god for mp3--saves me money.

U2-All That You Can't Leave Behind

The soundtrack of Good Night & Good Luck.

Rich Mullins-A Liturgy, a Legacy & a Ragamuffin Band

26. Nell411

Nell411 Live peace, speak kindness, dwell in possibility

Arcade Fire's Funeral, Neon Bible and The Suburbs. I've been listening to these 3 albums almost constantly for almost 2 years now. Dead Man's Bones is a current obsession. Muse - Absolution, Black Holes and Revelations and HAARP. I've been playing Metric's Youth Without Youth a lot so there's that for a future obsession considering their new album isn't out until June 12.

27. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Everything by:
    Rod Stewart
    The Beatles
    Emerson Lake and Palmer
    Django Reinhardt

28. masofs

masofs New Member

I'm pretty eclectic when it comes to my taste in music. My addictions:

"The Dark Side of The Moon" and "Wish You were Here" by Pink Floyd - Sometimes I close my eyes and I listen these two albuns for hours. Amazing feeling.

"Back to Black" by Amy Winehouse - Powerful and yet so vulnerable. This one is heartbreaking and really touches me (now even more I have to admit). “Love is a Losing Game” is the top song on my iPod.

"The Composer of Desafinado, Plays" by Tom Jobim – I love Bossa Nova so much and this album is beautiful.

"Funeral" by Arcade Fire

"Led Zeppelin IV" by Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven :swoon:

"Antologia" by Madredeus - portuguese band

“The Hours” soundtrack by Philip Glass

“Requiem” by Mozart

Everything by Fiona Apple and Radiohead. Oh and Patti Smith.

Two/three years ago my biggest addiction was music from musicals. “My Fair Lady” (original Broadway Cast with Julie Andrews) and “Singing In the Rain” were my absolute favorites.

My biggest addiction at the moment is Joe Hisaishi music. I always imagine someone skating to his music.

29. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

You people are the whitest of white people.

:lol:

30. cailuj365

cailuj365 Well-Known Member

:rofl::rofl: I put in Kanye! Does that not count? :D

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.