Your favourite leg wrap

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by essence_of_soy, May 6, 2010.

1. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

2. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Nakano. Can't believe she can actually rotate those triples with such a huge wrap.
  4. essence_of_soy

Ah, I forgot about Yukari. Funny that she doesn't wrap on the triple axel, though.

Ito wrapped as well, IIRC.
  5. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

ITO! Please. She was the only one to have big and rotated jumps despite the wrap. :respec:

(of course her wrap wasn't too bad, definitely better than Nakano's)
  6. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

Midori Ito. Nakano comes in 2nd for me.
  7. essence_of_soy

I'l have to upload Twana Rose's free skate from the 1992 Canadian Nationals. On top of a very pronounced leg - wrap, she must have the scariest double axel technique ever.
  8. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Absolutely Midori Ito. Loved her incredible jumps, and the wrap didn't bother me at all.

My favourite Midori performance - 89 Worlds - just such joy and exuberance, she launches into those jumps with total abandon. Especially love the speed and flow of the triple toe-triple toe at 3:35!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKGasODrAcU
  9. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

Definately Yukari!

:cheer2:

She also doesn't wrap her leg on the Salchow and Toeloop.
  10. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

But she toe-axelled. Which is another kind of bad technique. :lol:
  11. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

Yukari hands down has the best leg wrap. :lol:
  12. Kati

Kati Active Member

Silvia Fontana had quite a big wrap, too.
  13. MikiAndoFan#1

This thread is about leg wraps, not toe-axels.

:lol:

But you're right.

:p
  14. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

What about AMBAH Corwin?
  16. MikiAndoFan#1

17. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

Would one consider Oksana Kazakova as having a leg wrap too (even though she didn't skate in singles)?
  18. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

kyoko ina had a wrap?
  19. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Ziggy, how could you not give an honourable mention to Stacey Kemp's thrown triple loop :yikes: :lol:
  20. Firefly123

Firefly123 New Member

Well, you didn't specify that it had to be on ice. Here's something a little different: A man with a leg wrap. (World Roller Artistic Champion Scott Cohen). Wow!! Look at all those triples done with a wrap. :eek:
    http://<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1cJSv95RjjA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1cJSv95RjjA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I never could understand why ice is so down on wrapped jumps. :confused: Admittedly, it is less areodynamic, but as these skaters demonstrate, jumps certainly can be done that way....I think it goes back to the idea of ballet. The whole skating = ballet on ice thing and the pointed toes on tours l'air in ballet...

Anyways, this clip is worth watching for just for the costume malfunction. :lol: I can't believe he skated almost the whole routine that way and it didn't distract him enough to mess up. :eek:
    Last edited: May 6, 2010
  21. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Midori Ito is the most famous. And unbelievable that she was able to do all the triples and triple/triple's with such a leg wrap (not on every jump though). Imagine the quad without leg wrap ?!?!
  22. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

23. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap New Member

Spicy chicken leg wrap with extra hot sauce :swoon:
  24. Firefly123

Firefly123 New Member

Polymer Bob,
    Of course no leg wraps on those 3axels....;)

Oooohhhh Luca d'alisera. :swoon: Yup, have seen every video on youtube with Luca (over and over and over and....) He is in my favoites. :) (For ice skaters who don't know him, he is the roller version of Brian Joubert.) ;)

http://<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lut-Rkyyl8k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lut-Rkyyl8k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Strange. Even on roller where wrap is "allowed" men rarely wrap their jumps. (Scott Cohen was a notable exception.) Back when I competed, I would say about 90% of boys/men used "low wrap" (or correct leg position with ankles crossed), whereas at least 50% of girls/women jumped with "high wrap" (leg around knee or thigh). So left to their own preferences, the girls tended to wrap much more than the guys....I wonder if this has something to do with wider hips or some other female/male difference? :confused:
  25. satchelpooch318

satchelpooch318 New Member

Oh Amber! :swoon:

Lovely leg wrap on so many of her jumps -- and she did those fabulously egregious lips and toe axels to boot! Absolutely love her!
  26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yeah.

I am sorry Stacey. I love you but on both her solo doubles and the throw triple loop the wrap is just :yikes:.
  27. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Midori Ito, because she could fly so high and rotate so quick despite the wrap.

Yukari Nakano, because she wrapped only on some of her jumps - a mysterious wrap.

Same coach, right?
  28. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Yep she did.

Ito for my mind had the best leg wrap. It worked because she kept her hip position open so she had no problem landing the jumps.

Stacey Kemp's jumps are just wrong anyway. Even the doubles.

What I get is how coaches don't fix these things up. Because you see some really talented skaters who have a shocking leg wrap and you know it is going to hold their skating back.
  29. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I spoke to some coaches and skaters about it and I was told that past a certain age it's too late. All you can do is minimise it slightly.
  30. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

That probably comes from skaters who can't be bothered to fix it and coaches who don't know how to fix it. I have seen quite a few skaters who have fixed the problem.
  31. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

amazing !
    -> the leg wrap is not on all the jumps, the 3T is great
    -> he actually does a small waltz jump before the 3Lp to gain momentum
    -> really fun how he tries to got off his top during all his spins
    -> I had never heard Enya used in a program before
    -> the musical mix is... very wide

As for leg wrap, it was just amazing how Midori would wrap his first 3T, but did not do it on the second 3T of the 3T-3T combo. With the technique used on the second 3T, the quad should not have been far !

In France we had some several years ago a female skaters with such a bad leg wrap... she appeared once at Nationals, nobody understood how she got there with only 2Z (if I remember correctly). On each jump I was afraid she would slash her hip with the back of the blade...
    Also if my memory is correct, Leslie Deriviere had a leg wrap, but could land all triples (JPG 2000... ?)
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
  32. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

One of the old skating boards I belonged to had a member called ACCL. When someone asked him/her/it what the initials stood for, she replied, "Amber Corwin's Cheated Lutz". :p But she rocked the tiaras and headbands at least :p.
    And sometimes her choreo was like interpretive dance.
  33. floskate

floskate Vacant

Not only that but she was able to manipulate the wrap at will depending on how much rotation she wanted. If she went up super high she let the leg go where it naturally wanted to be, but if she had a wonky take-off or not quite the air she was expecting, she could instantly adjust the crossed leg position to speed up rotation. Her body awareness in the air was truly amazing.

Midori's wrap was much worse as a child. By the time she was competing internationally in seniors from 1984 onwards they weren't nearly so high....except the loop of course ;) But it never bothered me. It just added to the excitement of her jumps IMO.
  34. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Alissa Czisny. It was always elegant.
  35. Firefly123

Firefly123 New Member

skatak,
    Yes, I think ice considers a clear wrap on a jump a negative GOE and you get marked down for it. On roller, a wrap is still considered acceptable (at least in the sense that it is not an automatic deduction for "poor air position.") Ice hates wrap. :(
  36. MikiAndoFan#1

Alissa does not have a leg warp.

:huh:
  37. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

38. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

*deleted*
  39. MikiAndoFan#1

40. piano18

piano18 New Member

Midori and Yukari N. come to mind, fo sure! Especially Midori!