Your Favourite & Least Favourite Elements

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by jettasian, Mar 7, 2012.

1. jettasian

jettasian New Member

Favourite:

Men - Footwork
    - I always find it exciting and with great skating skill, it can be amazing. I can never get enough of Patrick Chan's footwork sequence.

Women - Spiral
    - Simply beautiful

Pairs - Throw

Dance - Twizzle

Least Favourite:

Men - Spin
    - Some spins are just ugly, espeically the donut and the Y spin. Three spins in LP are too much. I wish they'd take one off, and add back another footwork.

Women - Jumps
    - They are just too weak

Pairs - Side by Side Spin
    - Unison is always off, and then one partner has to slow down so the other partner can catch up. Simply painful to watch

Dance - I can't think of any yet.
  2. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Favorites - Russian Split Jumps, Spread Eagles, Ina Bauers, scratchspins, camel spins

Least favorite - the "butt" spin
  3. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Favorite

For either Ladies or Mens Singles: a long, sustained forward spiral, capturing the soul of a beautiful piece of classical music

For Pairs: a high, sustained one-handed lift in only one position, going from one end of the rink to another (without clutzy shifts of position, grabbing of blades, etc.)

Least favorite

Pairs - any "girl grabs the skate-blade" move -- lift, death spiral, whatever -- done just to garner extra points

Singles - butt spin; any laboured, overly-complex, s-l-o-w footwork; a Biellman position attempted by any lady with thick thighs, no matter how flexible she may be
  4. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

Dislike
    With rare exception, I generally find footwork sequences to be unbearably tedious today, especially from pair teams. Patrick Chan is one of the few I actually don't dread seeing perform the footwork sequence (I always look forward to his sequences).

I don't enjoy seeing skaters who are barely flexible enough to do the Biellmann spin position opting to stick it in their programs for purely math reasons. As far as execution is concerned, they deserve to be docked enough to avoid the points benefit of including the spin in their programs.

I'm sick of the death spirals with the various odd positions the lady takes and the lack of speed that generally results after changing hands. If a team can't maintain good speed (and a steady edge) after changing hands, execution should be hit hard enough to eliminate the benefit of changing positions at all. I'd rather see a nicely performed single death spiral rather than a crappy change-of-hand death spiral.

A steady & well-positioned forward inside spiral. For the men, I can't help but think of Jeff Buttle. And for ladies, of course it's Michelle Kwan.

A sit spin with a straight back and most especially with the free leg extended parallel to the ice and the toe pointed. And a camel spin that's well positioned on the blade and well arched (again I'm thinking of Jeff Buttle here).

Pair team where the man gently places the lady down onto the ice during a lift dismount.

And what I like the most is seeing very strong stroking. Powerful skaters generally make me happy. :) See Gordeeva & Grinkov.
  5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

At the risk of being completely out of technik here ...

Dislikes

• Spins where they have to rev up with a few strokes to get into it - if you can't get into a spin smoothly and effortlessly, I don't want to see it.
    • Biellmans and Y/egg beater spins - unless you have the flexibility of Shawn Sawyer, they're ugly and awkward.
    • Jump sequences that are too close to the boards, especially when they tack on another one just for points.

• Agree that a well executed one arm lift with a gentle set down is always a joy to watch.
    • I do miss B&K's hydroblading - they had some wonderful positions, always perfectly executed. Not sure I'd want to see too much of it otherwise, but occasionally when a singles skater does it it brings a smile to me.
    • Complicated footwork ala Chan, Yagudin, Stojko and Browning - always a pleasure to masters of the ice and blade.
  6. jettasian

jettasian New Member

Ah, of course, the "butt" spin. Whoever does that should get an automatic -3GOE :p
  7. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

-Powerful, musical straight line step sequences
    - spread eagles or Ina Bauers that last more than two seconds
    - spins in a single position that are fast and fully extended
    - long spirals
    - old style LPs where top skaters were expected to deliver programs containing at least one of each type of jump.

Dislikes
    - The meandering, slow, pointless step sequences we see all too much of today.
    - Three jump combos. (Okay, there are a few exceptions, but they're very few, and the number of piddly three jump combos is far too high.)
    - Blades to the head, and most blade grabs in general. (A simple limitation of one blade grab per program would go a long way towards solving that.)
    - Pairs lifts that look like a series of gymnastics contortions.
    - SBS camel spins that are too close. (Really, I'd like to see something like diving's penalty for coming too close to the board even if you don't hit it as a way of discouraging those risks.)
    - Tango music.
  8. midori

midori Well-Known Member

Favorites:
    Jumps, footworks, and spread eagles.
    Especially quads, good smooth one-foot sequences, and deep inside eagles.

Dislikes:
    Spins, especially sit spins!! Not only that most spins are boring to watch, but also my knees feel hurt when I see sit positions. Bending your knee more than 90 degree, standing on one foot, and rotate so twist the knee??? Is it even safe??

And I would not mind if they'd reduce or remove spin elements from mandatory requirements. I do not need to watch ladies' layback spins and men's change foot spins in SP.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  9. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

:confused:

I don't think you are watching the right skaters. Some do these move magnificently. My dislikes are mostly COP issues like death spirals and footwork that goes on forever.
  10. PashaFan

PashaFan Active Member

Like- A simple spiral (with NO pull up to the head)
    Dislike- Ladies putting a double-loop on the end of nearly every triple jump.
    It just looks messy & more & more are doing it:mad:
  11. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Unfavorites

Besti Squats - Ugh. Even the name is kind of awful. However...some pair teams do these in tandem, in connecting moves, and I can't help but admire their control.

Blade grabbing/dog-leg/hydrant position - This should not count as a toe catch or a Biellmann. A move that says: I wish you were wearing dark colored leggings.
  12. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

There is no move that I hate in principle. It's always good to see someone try something unique even if it isn't beautiful at first, and it's always good to see skaters who can take a move that risks looking awkward and make it look good.

But specific skaters doing moves that don't look good on them even at their best, just to earn points or just because it's trendy, is a different story.
    RunnersHigh and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Favorite jump: tano variation jumps and jumps taking off directly from a MITF
    Least favorite jump: 3 jump combos, Lipinski Salchow

Favorite spin: extended camel, Y spin, headless scratch
    Least favorite spin: Russian catchfoot camel, most sit variations, I spin, Biellmann spin

Favorite steps: serpentine, circular
    Least favorite steps: those with no clear patterns, those that take one whole minute to complete

Favorite spiral: extended arabesque
    Least favorite spiral: catchfoot, hydrant

Favorite MITF: ones that last
    Least favorite MITF: ones that don't last

Favorite pair elements: pre-COP ones
  14. walei

walei Well-Known Member

My favorite element of anything from skating has to be the side by side straight line footwork sequence in Ice Dance. I don't really like the circular version required for the SD this year so hope they bring the straight line back next season.

Least favorite element, ugly ugly spirals that look like inflexible rag dolls in pain.
  15. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

ITA!!!
  16. LongTimeLurker

LongTimeLurker New Member

Like:
    Ina Bauer with a very arched back (like Shizuka Arakawa)
    Footwork that goes with the character of the program
    Layback spins with the free leg held away from the body (i.e. Angela Nikodinov)
    Deep edges

Dislike:
    Excessive, flappy arm movements during footwork sequences
    Ugly free leg positions on laybacks (thanks, Uncle Dick!) :lol:
    Y spins with bent legs (i.e. the skater isn't quite flexible enough to do them)
    Labored stroking (okay, that sounds bad, but you know what I mean)
    Pre-pubescent skaters trying to be "sexy". Yuck! :scream:
  17. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

Like:
    pivots (not sure if that is the right name, but it's when the skater is on a super deep outside edge, while dragging the toe of the non-supporting leg slightly behind the supporting leg.

Dislike:
    Pairs spins - dance teams have put the pairs to shame on this element. So many pairs are so far apart, have no speed and hit crappy positions - blech!
  18. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

19. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Exactly like mine. Especially split jumps ( can be so effective!), spread eagles and well- executed camel spins.
  20. geod2

geod2 New Member

Favorite: Ina Bauer with arched back and head upside down
    (Arikawa, Zhang, Cohen)

I wish someone would start a thread....IB doesn't get much attention on FSU.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  21. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Favourites:

- Ina Bauer (unlike some I actually like some of them that aren't laid right over. I'm a sucker for men who can do Inas. Ilia's was always beautiful and he couldn't lay back.) Spreadeagles too for that matter.

- 6.0 footwork - it tended to be powerful, spine-tingling, and in character. It may not have been the most difficult, but musically and emotionally it worked better.

- Split jumps!

- Tano jumps (but not Rippon jumps; I think both arms look ugly. Sorry. :()

- Fun or playful programs. (Not an element, I know. But personality! PLEASE!)

- A camel spin in proper position with the chest forward (not sideways) and leg stretched out and level with the hip, a good arch through the back and toe nicely pointed.

- A scratch spin! ;)

- Men who can do spirals! :p

- Male pair skaters who gently set their lady down as though she's a precious thing he doesn't want to break. That's how you do it.

Dislikes:

- IJS footwork: wake me up when it's over. Boring, unimaginitive, same-same, every skater doing the same thing, never fits the music right, rarely fits the character at all. And takes up half the freaking program.

- Camel spins with bent legs. Also, that horrible ugly transition from camel-to-other-position by dropping the leg and body to do it.

- Charlotte spirals, I spirals, Y spirals, whatever. Ladies, I do not need to see your privates. There is nothing wrong with a lovely, understated spiral that matches the music with the free leg just above hip height.

- Butt spins.

- Men who put their lady down like he's plonking a beer on the bar. :yikes:

- Skaters who have been on the Senior circuit for a year or more going to Junior Worlds.

- Sorry, OT.

- Unextended legs and unpointed toes.
  22. jettasian

jettasian New Member

I don't think there's such thing as IJS footwork or 6.0 footwork. It depends on the choreography and the skating skill, not the format of the judging.