Your favorite Steven Spielberg directed movies (choose up to 5)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Vash01, Dec 28, 2012.

?

Your favorite Steven Spielberg directed/produced movies (pick up to 5)

Poll closed May 27, 2013.
  1. Catch me if you can

15 vote(s)
    27.8%
  2. Close encounters of the 3rd kind

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. ET

25 vote(s)
    46.3%
  4. Jaws

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  5. Jurassic Park

18 vote(s)
    33.3%
  6. Lincoln

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  7. Munich

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  8. Raiders of the lost Ark

25 vote(s)
    46.3%
  9. Saving Private Ryan

20 vote(s)
    37.0%
  10. Schindlers List

35 vote(s)
    64.8%
  11. War Horse

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  12. Other

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

With the Oscars coming up, and Lincoln getting a lot of attention, I am thinking of other movies directed/produced by Steven Spielberg.

It will be difficult to pick just one or even three, so you can pick up to 5 from the list, but fewer are OK too.

I wanted to include The color purple, but ran out of options because I wanted one of them to be 'Other'.

I did not see 'Amistad' or A.I. and did not like War of the worlds and only marginally liked Minority report.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  2. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I loved War of the Worlds. One of my favorite movies. I can watch it again and again for some reason and I do not typically sit through movies I have already seen.

3. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Really? I can't decide if you're lucky or doomed.

I re-watch my favourite movies and tv series at least once a year, which means I now know most of them line by line.
    I've noticed they're doing fewer and fewer movies and tv series that would make my top favourites as the years go by (I'm not sure if they're duller than they used to be, of if my taste just doesen't click with the current times), so I'm stuck re-watching pretty much the same stuff over and over.
    And I laugh and I cry every time.

The color purple was beautiful.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Lost was my favorite series of all time and I have yet to try and re-watch it. How can I enjoy something when I know exactly what happens and how it ends? I just can't get into it enough to watch 6 seasons again. No way. That is true for almost all shows. I can, however, rewatch sitcoms. Especially The Golden Girls. They don't rely on a plot that goes in a certain order so I can pick any episode and enjoy it for what it is. No need to commit myself for weeks on end to see the entire series. 30 minutes will do. :lol:

5. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., Catch Me if You Can, and Munich. Lincoln remains on the "must see (haven't seen)" list.

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

My "other" choice is AI. But there are a lot of big Spielberg films I haven't seen (like Munich, Lincoln, Amistad). I did really like Minority Report and even War of the Worlds, but I forgot they were Spielberg films.

Raiders of the Lost Ark FTW though! :respec:

7. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

Empire of the Sun

8. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Smarmy, manipulative and phony. An awful movie.

Schindler's List is the only good movie Spielberg ever made, the only one he truly made from his heart.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  9. my little pony

meh, schindlers list is very reverent and sterile, it's ok

10. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

One movie that everyone loves and that I hated - E.T.

Yeah, I know.

11. my little pony

I think I liked ET when I was a kid but it doesnt hold up for me now

12. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

Other: "The Color Purple" is one of my favorite movies of all time. And I'm not usually into dramas.

13. Sofia Alexandra

Sofia Alexandra Well-Known Member

Jurassic Park! :cheer2: I saw it at an impressionable age, and spent many a recess playing dinosaurs after that (I was always a velociraptor)).

14. loulou

loulou Well-Known Member

Boy, we're different. Saying you can't commit to a movie or a tv serie just because you know how things are going to be, for me, it's like never listening to Strauss again because you know the tunes. Plus, I don't like sitcoms, with the exception of the Cosby Show. And I so much didn't appreciate Lost, I couldn't even watch the entire season two, nor I bothered to check how they wrapped it up.

Now I'm curious about our figure skating taste: I'llpay closer attention to see if we meet there ;)

-- I apologize, I'll say no more on this and I'll disturb no more this thread with OT notes.

I didn't like very much ET as a kid, because I never enjoyed science fiction. I thought I might enjoy the Bluray, at least from the more human angle of the movie. I appreciated it more than I did as a kid, and I kept a copy, but it doesn't hold up much for me either. Still best Berrymore's performance I've seen though.

15. Cyn

Cyn Well-Known Member

Schindler's List
    Jaws
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Munich

I realize this is primarily about directing (though the actual poll says "directed/produced) -- and in that capacity I have to also give major props for Spielberg being (along with Tom Hanks) the Executive Producer for Band of Brothers, which is IMO the best Television Miniseries ever made.

Jaws scared the bejeezus out of me when I saw it to the point that I was terrified to take a bath for the next few nights as I was convinced a great white shark was going to come out of the spigot :rofl: (hey, I was what, 7 years old when it came out? :eek: )

16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Only 5?! I have loved most of Speilberg's movies. :respec:

17. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I loved Empire of the Sun, and was meh, about Schindler's List. Jurassic Park was my favourite of his, followed by Raiders and Saving Private Ryan. Jurassic Park I saw on an IMAX screen and I was in the front row and seeing those dinosaurs come to life was amazing. And yeah, ET was great at the time, but now it has lost its charm.

ITA about Band of Brothers. I still watch it whenever they show it on tv.

18. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

Schindler's List has to top my list. Not only did I think it was an amazing movie...........I was shocked that someone actually made it. I will always remember sitting in a stunningly silent theater at the end of the movie until each credit had run and the screen was blank.

19. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Minority Report is my favorite: I felt like I was watching a bit of Hitchcock, a political thriller and Spielberg's gifts with science fiction all rolled into one excellent film. (imho)

20. Eden

Eden Well-Known Member

Schindler's List
    This film leaves an impact on its viewers long after they have watched it.
    Spielberg put a lot of research in it. His choice of using Israeli actors to play most of the Jews created the needed authenticity.
    He also was very sensitive of how this film was accepted by the Israeli audience. When he was told that the song (Jerusalem of Gold) during the liberation (when the Red Army enters the concentration camp) does not belong to Holocaust but to The Six Days War, he changed it. So in Israel the viewers heard Eli Eli (My G-D, My G-D).
    The film has also helped some Holocaust survivors to talk more about what they went through.
    And it is always a pleasure to listen to Itzhak Perlman playing the violin in William's amazing music score.

Munich
    This film was more of children's adventure story IMO. It had too many fictional facts that the connection between them and reality is purely coincidental, but still it was an interesting film to watch.

Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Great adventure movie! :respec:

Jurassic Park
    Amazing fiction movie!

Whenever I watch that movie it always makes me :rofl:

21. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

The Colour Purple is my favourite and I also enjoyed Empire of the Sun.

Schindler's List was ambitious, well-executed and really tough to watch (as intended), and I loved the ending. But for me the film was marred by one over-the-top moment, when Schindler ranted about how 'if only he had saved on more'.

I'll add that I very much enjoyed War Horse, as well.

22. KHenry14

KHenry14 Well-Known Member

Well, there are a lot of good ones to choose from...

1) Raiders....it's Raiders, nuff sed

2) Jaws... Released in the summer of 1975, right before I went to UCSB. Took me a while to not feel scared going into the ocean!

3) Saving Private Ryan...the gold standard of WWII movies....which begat the gold standard of TV mini-series, Band of Brothers

4) Jurassic Park...gets my vote for the terrific CGI dinosaurs

5) Lincoln...just for DDL's performance

I also liked "Catch me" a lot, and "Schindler's List" is powerful and personal.

23. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Eden, that's a very interesting fact about "Eli, Eli" being used in Israel instead of "Jerusalem of Gold." I never knew that!

I've enjoyed most of Spielberg's films. Believe it or not, I never saw Jaws. I read the book, but was too scared to see the movie. Did see Jurassic Park (liked it a lot, even though I confess I closed my eyes during the Dino violence, and of course I had to buy John Williams' great soundtrack to it).

My picks - E.T., Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, Lincoln, War Horse

24. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

A.I and Minority Report for me. :kickass:

I have a big problem with the plot of the latter, but it is still one of my favourite movies.